• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Jinjo

You know if he stacked up the coins? And what he did to get the engrams.

He used one before every single kill. It automatically stacks/increases chance if a coin doesn't net you a exotic. So the next coin will have an even higher chance for an exotic. But it's still only a chance. The buff itself disappears when you kill an Ultra so you have to re-use before every single kill.

I think by the end of today people will have every exotic possible that is from an engram. This is love, I just wish Y1 exotics wouldn't show in their year 2 version

ocean

Banned
They patched the ascendant materials from queens gear two days later. So i'll give this about 12 hours. That is, if they think it's exploitative.
Strange Coins for glimmer was literally a few hours after Xur's first visit. Same day patch :p

Still can't believe people were making new characters to buy ONE coin when you had no way to skip the cutscene and had to do the first mission before going to the Tower

Raybunny

He used one before every single kill. It automatically stacks/increases chance if a coin doesn't net you a exotic. So the next coin will have an even higher chance for an exotic. But it's still only a chance. The buff itself disappears when you kill an Ultra so you have to re-use before every single kill.

Thank you for the proper explanation Jinjo.

noomi

Ok... just to make sure I understand correctly....

1 - Pop one Three of Coins
2 - Kill Draksis
3 - If he drops an exotic, use another Three of Coins
4 - If he doesn't drop an exotic engram, pop a three of coins
5 - Die
6 - Rinse & Repeat
7 - Profit?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Am I doing something wrong here?

8 Three Of Coins used. 0 Exotics.

Kill 7 and still nothing.

Nvm got glove engram

5 strikes and 2 gate lord kills.. ain't got shit

Exotic special engram on kill 13.

So far

Helmet on kill 2.
Primary on kill 7.
Special on kill. 13.
Triple was just forgetting to use the buff every time. So he gets an exotic drop about every 5th coin/kill.
so let's say it is roughly a 1 in 5 average acquisition rate. Please bear in mind that doesn't mean you absolutely get one exotic per 5 five kills, know what I mean?
Realistically, how quickly can they patch this?
That depends completely on how this actually is implemented on the backend and we have nowhere near enough information to know. There are several ways of addressing it, seems to me the simplest is just to have an activation cooldown on 3oCs like ammo synthesis.

Strange Coins for glimmer was literally a few hours after Xur's first visit. Same day patch :p

Still can't believe people were making new characters to buy ONE coin when you had no way to skip the cutscene and had to do the first mission before going to the Tower

The coin and ascendant material grind on vanilla was insane.

2 - Kill Draksis
5 - Die
6 - Rinse & Repeat
7 - Profit?
Yup

Raybunny

2 - Kill Draksis
5 - Die
6 - Rinse & Repeat
7 - Profit?

Each time you kill it you pop a three coins it seems.

jiiikoo

Banned
Anyone want to help me with the Quest where you have to end the Cabal transmission. I just can't kill the last boss, the adds keep killing me :(

PSN: jiiikoo

Shito

2 - Kill Draksis
5 - Die
6 - Rinse & Repeat
7 - Profit?
Yes.
Though you have to die *with him*, otherwise the countdown starts and you lose the checkpoint.
Been two times my rocket somehow kills him without damaging me, I'm already a bit sick of running that mission... ^^

nOoblet16

2 - Kill Draksis
5 - Die
6 - Rinse & Repeat
7 - Profit?
So basically pop a coin no matter what.
Do we increase the diffivulty level?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

2 - Kill Draksis
5 - Die
6 - Rinse & Repeat
7 - Profit?
No need to pop another before dying, just do it after respawning eh?

ocean

Banned
yea but what is the exploit?
Stock up on coins.

Get a checkpoint with an Ultra (like Darksis in Scourge of Winter). Get him weak and then kill him with a point blank rocket so you both die. If the coin worked you'll respawn with an exotic Engram on the floor.

If it didn't, use the item again and repeat the process. Apparently 1/5 tries will give you a new exotic.

As 7 coins per, this means testing ain't cheap tho.

2 - Kill Draksis
5 - Die
6 - Rinse & Repeat
7 - Profit?

No.

1. Pop Three of Coins
2. Make a suicide pact with Draksis
3. Once you're both dead, respawn at the checkpoint
4. Whether or not he dropped an Exotic Engram, pop another Three of Coins
5. ???
6. Profit!

FyreWulff

There's also the fact that this only gets you two slots up to high light. Which you can do via guaranteed quests.

So it's not fucking the meta, it's just letting people unlock exotic blueprints faster.

Jinjo

So basically pop a coin no matter what.

Yup. The chance just gets slightly higher on the next coin if you didn't get an exotic engram with the last coin, that's it. That's what they mean by "stacking".

Do NOT use multiple coins at the same time.

Mupod

Since the buff is consumed after every Ultra kill regardless - for those of us who don't have infinite strange coins, wouldn't it be best to use them for heroic strikes anyways? Considering those guys barf out 2-3 blue/purple engrams on each death it would make sense they have a better drop rate.

FyreWulff

Since the buff is consumed after every Ultra kill regardless - for those of us who don't have infinite strange coins, wouldn't it be best to use them for heroic strikes anyways? Considering those guys barf out 2-3 blue/purple engrams on each death it would make sense they have a better drop rate.

Yeah. It's technically better to use them on strikes since you'll collect engrams along the way.

This is my theory.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's also the fact that this only gets you two slots up to high light. Which you can do via guaranteed quests.

So it's not fucking the meta, it's just letting people unlock exotic blueprints faster.
right, if you have 290 exotics you can only move laterally with gear you get from doing this. Use one on strikes and go streaking and you can have a progress frenzy like ai did last page or whatever it was

it's useful for collection not progression.. still, you can easily get fucked over by luck (no reason at ALL for these engrams to prioritize loot you don't have), and/or get the short end of the stick for engram-per-3oC.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There are several ways of addressing it, seems to me the simplest is just to have an activation cooldown on 3oCs like ammo synthesis.

Yeah, that definitely seems the most reasonable. It doesn't actually nerf the functionality/drop chance of the buff itself, but just makes it so you can't have like 5 potential exotic drops per minute from checkpoint cheesing.

This is my theory.

Yup, I'm planning to do some strike playlist action tonight anyway so that's my plan.

DarKshodaN

12046863_10205488395755593_151.jpg

I found this :D guess i am ready for the raid now

Top Bottom