• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

SpecX

Is the 3ofc "exploit" still active? Having breakfast in the morning and running home if so to squeeze in the last 10 coins I picked up.

darthbob

Is the 3ofc still active? Having breakfast in the morning and running home if so to squeeze in the last 10 coins I picked up.

Xur is still selling the 3oC for the next 4 hours 15 minutes, if that's what you're wondering.

P.S. Anyone still need to run Nightfall?

X-Frame

Nope, was hoping for that or a Red Death but it didn't happen. I spent my first bunch of marks on a year 2 Thunderlord, and it melts bosses.

I embarrassingly spent somewhere between 300-400 strange coins on 3 of coins and never got Bad Juju. Or an exotic heavy or exotic leg engram.

Interesting. Wondering if Bad Juju and Red Death will then be part of new quests if they can't drop from engrams.

I don't know which one I want to get though. I play more PvP so I think Red Death would be good and it's no slouch in PvE either.

MechDX

I spent too much time trying to get a Zhalo yesterday.
Friend hops on and with 35 coins gets me two.
I'm not complaining.

Linked not posted because I am wearing Raid boots so just in case.
My Arclock can't be any more Arc. Maximum Arc achieved. Stormcaller with Tesla Coils on his wrists firing an Arc throwing Zhalo. Pic.
Spent all the motes necessary to level the Exotic Gloves from scratch. Outstanding feature Bungie. Burned a bunch of motes. Still have plenty.

Weird. Our warlocks are basically twins

Jezabel

Thanks for the response dude. Will definately try and organize thrust here. Mainly challenges are finding Aussies preferably for lag etc. Plus pre organizing. Maybe I'll have to be a bit more reactive. :D
Body is tingling with keenness for getting into the new raid.

Fellow Aussie here!

Psn joshizzled

Interesting. Wondering if Bad Juju and Red Death will then be part of new quests if they can't drop from engrams.

I don't know which one I want to get though. I play more PvP so I think Red Death would be good and it's no slouch in PvE either.

Maybe they expect you to buy the legacy engram and get it that way and then buy the year 2 version. I hope not.

People are clearly too used to being over leveled.

The number of times I've jumped into a Heroic strike, only for both other players to jump headlong into a group of enemies and be completely destroyed is rapidly growing to outrageous totals.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not so much suros but auto rifle in general in crucible. Im finding it much weaker than pulse rifles still. It's usable and better then before the auto rifle buff but I still think auto rifles need a bit more. That's just my experience anyway.
I think Auto Rifles perform very well in the niche Bungie purports to desire for them
It’s our goal for the Auto Rifle to be a visceral, close-to-medium range chainsaw. It should reward target tracking, and drop in effectiveness at longer ranges.
Auto Rifles aren't remotely competitive with Pulse Rifles at optimal Pulse Rifle range. But they have excellent TTK now if someone is rushing you or if you can close the gap before opening fire.

The primary reason that they haven't fully settled into this niche as a good choice is that fucking max range shotguns- the Felwinter's, Matador 64, Party Crasher perfect roll archetype- still offer consistent one hit kills at barely a couple feet closer. It's not symptomatic of all shotguns, but these- which were/are way too easily available- are essentially "close range one hit kill guns" rather than shotguns at all. Shotguns should only be a one hit kill at extreme close range and require a follow-up shot or melee attack otherwise- a perfect example of a scenario in which an Auto Rifle would be a good choice.

Those damn shotguns are pretty crazily throwing off what's honestly not that imbalanced a PvP weapon spread at the moment. Even Hand Cannons are more viable than people think- not pocket snipers like the best used to be, but they too have their niche, encroached upon by, you guessed it, max range shotguns.

Never got Red Death either. And if you do the daily crucible match and daily mission for a few days on top of the main missions, you should be able to buy both. Legendary marks collect quicker than you'd expect.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The faster firing perk probably isn't very useful in pvp
Eh, depends on the distance you're trying to engage at.

SUROS at launch with that perk (focused fire) was viable at fucking sniper rifle ranges, and I'm not kidding. It had barely any detectable range dropoff.

That's not the case anymore. Ideal range for auto rifles is just close-to-mid across the board. There's a personal preference factor sure, but I definitely recommend anyone who has one to give Spinning Up (I think that's what it's called) a shot in PvP.

People are clearly too used to being over leveled.

The number of times I've jumped into a Heroic strike, only for both other players to jump headlong into a group of enemies and be completely destroyed is rapidly growing to outrageous totals.
I'm not going to lie - the possibility of dying during a strike is something I'm having a hard time adjusting too. I like that it's a bit more difficult, but we were all used to everything to be a cakewalk.

Trickster

We're currently 5 people in a raid, wanting to kill Oryx, we need 1 more. Anyone interested?

add me on psn - "sc-trickster"

edit - updated because i spelled it wrong :|

Anastasis

This sharing of light level across weapons and ghosts is awesome for those of us with three different characters. I did a massive grind with my Titan to be raid ready, but throw my 290ish weapons and ghost on my alts and I'm just around the corner for the weekly heroic. Crazy!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not going to lie - the possibility of dying during a strike is something I'm having a hard time adjusting too. I like that it's a bit more difficult, but we were all used to everything to be a cakewalk.
Using only acquired gear during the storyline was a fascinating and really enjoyable experience for me. It was great being on my toes again, even dying (gasp). Also gave me a great window into what the experience will be like for people just starting out 1-40, who don't have their Gjallarhorns to fall back on when the going gets tough in the first place. My resulting conclusion on beating the story- really tight gameplay. Satisfying encounters and challenge. Destiny at its best.

Nightstalker is the greatest thing ever.

Keen Scout, amazing for farming materials (which is a big deal again), marking targets in Crucible is very helpful, enhanced motion tracker actually makes a big difference.

You can have that perk at the same time as shadowstep thanks to the sexiest helmet ever. Shadowstep is actually incredibly useful for diving into cover while under heavy fire. And more importantly, feeling like a badass.

Speaking of being under heavy fire, just look down and throw some smoke at your feet. Poof your invisible. Oh your relic carrying teammate is under heavy fire? Throw some smoke at him, now he's invisible! Throw some smoke on your team members dead body, you are protected while you revive him, and when he comes back to life, you're both invisible!

Shadowshot is great, and makes a RIDICULOUS amount of orbs.

Somehow it all goes perfectly with the new swords which I absolutely love using.

I didn't even have a hunter until TTK came out, and now it's the only class I want to play.

Is this love of Nightstalker universal?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This sharing of light level across weapons and ghosts is awesome for those of us with three different characters. I did a massive grind with my Titan to be raid ready, but throw my 290ish weapons and ghost on my alts and I'm just around the corner for the weekly heroic. Crazy!
Super cool yeah. A great throwback to the original practice of stashing Legendaries and Exotics your main had acquired for your alts to use upon hitting 20.

There are a lot of criticisms one could level at the Light system (both original and 2.0), and it's certainly quite complex and unintuitive. But the way it changes up the leveling of multiple characters versus any typical RPG is a huge plus.

Any other GAF teams beat Oryx yet?

I was dead asleep for 9 hours straight after being up for 50+ hours.

When is Luke going to explain the 'long live the king' analogy?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Throw some smoke on your team members dead body, you are protected while you revive him, and when he comes back to life, you're both invisible!
Didn't even know that worked. Badass.
Is this love of Nightstalker universal?
hell yes, it's a phenomenal class. I need that damn graviton, though I do enjoy the Sealed Ahamkara build I'm cooking quite a lot

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEES

ORYX DOWN

WE DID IT! SCOUT RIFLE GET! Fuck you Oryx!

FUCK YOU ORYX!!! FUCK YES!!! FUCK YES!!' FUCK YES!!!

Congrats guys!

Using only acquired gear during the storyline was a fascinating and really enjoyable experience for me. It was great being on my toes again, even dying (gasp). Also gave me a great window into what the experience will be like for people just starting out 1-40, who don't have their Gjallarhorns to fall back on when the going gets tough in the first place. My resulting conclusion on beating the story- really tight gameplay. Satisfying encounters and challenge. Destiny at its best.
I've been playing Destiny since day one and I'm really enjoying the raised difficulty. It makes the game engaging and meshes well with a lot of the higher tier enemies not being bullet sponges anymore.
And the nerf of Ghorn is possibly the best thing to happen to PvE. I feel like I have tons of choices for my loadouts now. I can finally use other exotic weapons.

That being said. PvP is still broken. No Thorn, but it's still shotgun city in there. The range on a lot of them is just insane. I can't believe they didn't fix that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been playing Destiny since day one and I'm really enjoying the raised difficulty. It makes the game engaging and meshes well with a lot of the higher tier enemies not being bullet sponges anymore.
And the nerf of Ghorn is possibly the best thing to happen to PvE. I feel like I have tons of choices for my loadouts now. I can finally use other exotic weapons.

That being said. PvP is still broken. No Thorn, but it's still shotgun city in there. The range on a lot of them is just insane. I can't believe they didn't fix that.
See my above post on this page, those shotguns are completely throwing out of wack what is honestly a pretty decent and varied spread of viable weapons right now. I hate them so much. Soo much.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
In regard to PvP

Stormcaller and Sunbreaker having the crazy amount of damage resistance that they do (particularly the Stormcaller) really, really needs to be dialed back. Bladedancers have so much DR because they actually NEED it because they have to melee. These guys are in the same realm as Gunslingers because they have a sustaining, roaming, 1hk at range - but they have DR on top of that.

Like... come the fuck on. They get to walk around the map almost entirely uninterrupted. Its cool, sure, but unlike most supers in the game there really isn't the ability to outplay them. And that's just not fun. You will never have the opportunity to juke, jump back, and shotgun+throwing knife a Sunbreaker. You will never catch a Stormcaller coming around a corner blind and FR him to leave him with an empty super like Gunslingers.

I really hope they bring that damage reduction down some. Its not bad that they have some DR, but the amount of it is just wild.

edit: also, give quiver some more time. you can barely get those 3 shots off with the time given. bungie pls

So from what I'm hearing from the Raid and seeing in the wild, it looks like outside of Rahool, the "Smart Loot System" ain't as bright as I assumed.

I spent an hour in the Court of Oryx and all I got to show for it were a bunch of shitty blues and underleveled artifacts. My only real piece of loot was a Rune I cashed in from an Eris quest. I used the Three of Coins 5 times between events and got squat.

After that, I went to pay Draksis a visit to use the last ticket.

Not even 3 minutes went by
sU2PzzA.jpg

giphy.gif

Yeah it's great. Gave my Titan an exotic helmet and some 290ish weapons from my Hunter and after hitting 40 and doing 5 strikes he's 284. Fucking asshole got a 297 artifact from a blue engram. Fat and away the best one I've found (that wasn't a quest reward). Been level 40 for an hour tops.

I've been playing a TON of PvP and I really haven't been having any problems with shotguns. Honestly, I can't recall the last time I saw a Party Crasher +1 or Felwinter's on my death screen. Weird...

Trickster

We're currently 5 people in a raid, wanting to kill Oryx, we need 1 more. Anyone interested?

add me on psn - "sc-trickster"

edit - updated because i spelled it wrong :|

Doing a quick bump since I spelled my psn wrong , if anyone wanted to join please add me with the updated psn nick

Top Bottom