• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
See my above post on this page, those shotguns are completely throwing out of wack what is honestly a pretty decent and varied spread of viable weapons right now. I hate them so much. Soo much.

The high impact Shotgun simply needs to go. That's really all I can think of on the matter...

That being said, I'm really looking forward to IB. Should be a lot more varied now compared to before where being two levels below max = lol.

Also, Thorn will be completely dead.

So from what I'm hearing from the Raid and seeing in the wild, it looks like outside of Rahool, the "Smart Loot System" ain't as bright as I assumed.

I spent an hour in the Court of Oryx and all I got to show for it were a bunch of shitty blues and underleveled artifacts. My only real piece of loot was a Rune I cashed in from an Eris quest. I used the Three of Coins 5 times between events and got squat.

After that, I went to pay Draksis a visit to use the last ticket.

Not even 3 minutes went by
sU2PzzA.jpg

giphy.gif

Gun is sooo gun in PvP. Go there immediately lol.

Nightstalker is the greatest thing ever.

Keen Scout, amazing for farming materials (which is a big deal again), marking targets in Crucible is very helpful, enhanced motion tracker actually makes a big difference.

You can have that perk at the same time as shadowstep thanks to the sexiest helmet ever. Shadowstep is actually incredibly useful for diving into cover while under heavy fire. And more importantly, feeling like a badass.

Speaking of being under heavy fire, just look down and throw some smoke at your feet. Poof your invisible. Oh your relic carrying teammate is under heavy fire? Throw some smoke at him, now he's invisible! Throw some smoke on your team members dead body, you are protected while you revive him, and when he comes back to life, you're both invisible!

Shadowshot is great, and makes a RIDICULOUS amount of orbs.

Somehow it all goes perfectly with the new swords which I absolutely love using.

I didn't even have a hunter until TTK came out, and now it's the only class I want to play.

Is this love of Nightstalker universal?

best class

Baliis

I've been playing a TON of PvP and I really haven't been having any problems with shotguns. Honestly, I can't recall the last time I saw a Party Crasher +1 or Felwinter's on my death screen. Weird...

I dont see many of the old guns, but I still get wreckd by others

In regard to PvP

Stormcaller and Sunbreaker having the crazy amount of damage resistance that they do (particularly the Stormcaller) really, really needs to be dialed back. Bladedancers have so much DR because they actually NEED it because they have to melee. These guys are in the same realm as Gunslingers because they have a sustaining, roaming, 1hk at range - but they have DR on top of that.

Like... come the fuck on. They get to walk around the map almost entirely uninterrupted. Its cool, sure, but unlike most supers in the game there really isn't the ability to outplay them. And that's just not fun. You will never have the opportunity to juke, jump back, and shotgun+throwing knife a Sunbreaker. You will never catch a Stormcaller coming around a corner blind and FR him to leave him with an empty super like Gunslingers.

I really hope they bring that damage reduction down some. Its not bad that they have some DR, but the amount of it is just wild.

edit: also, give quiver some more time. you can barely get those 3 shots off with the time given. bungie pls

I said the same thing first day in crucible. Roaming ranged supers should not have damage reduction like that. Maybe in pve but a stormcaller can wipe a time completely aware to their presence and trying to dps them. Bladedancers never had it that good.

DY_nasty

Nightstalker is the greatest thing ever.

Keen Scout, amazing for farming materials (which is a big deal again), marking targets in Crucible is very helpful, enhanced motion tracker actually makes a big difference.

You can have that perk at the same time as shadowstep thanks to the sexiest helmet ever. Shadowstep is actually incredibly useful for diving into cover while under heavy fire. And more importantly, feeling like a badass.

Speaking of being under heavy fire, just look down and throw some smoke at your feet. Poof your invisible. Oh your relic carrying teammate is under heavy fire? Throw some smoke at him, now he's invisible! Throw some smoke on your team members dead body, you are protected while you revive him, and when he comes back to life, you're both invisible!

Shadowshot is great, and makes a RIDICULOUS amount of orbs.

Somehow it all goes perfectly with the new swords which I absolutely love using.

I didn't even have a hunter until TTK came out, and now it's the only class I want to play.

Is this love of Nightstalker universal?

Another thing on the orb production - that skyburner helm exotic perk is a gold mine. Tether orb perk + sword kills versus a mob is just unreal. You could save Greece with that shit.

So from what I'm hearing from the Raid and seeing in the wild, it looks like outside of Rahool, the "Smart Loot System" ain't as bright as I assumed.

I spent an hour in the Court of Oryx and all I got to show for it were a bunch of shitty blues and underleveled artifacts. My only real piece of loot was a Rune I cashed in from an Eris quest. I used the Three of Coins 5 times between events and got squat.

sU2PzzA.jpg

giphy.gif
Been trying for awhile to get that gun :( only 34 strange coins left and 23 three of coins left...

DY_nasty

I said the same thing first day in crucible. Roaming ranged supers should not have damage reduction like that. Maybe in pve but a stormcaller can wipe a time completely aware to their presence and trying to dps them. Bladedancers never had it that good.
Bladedancers are gimped by lag like no other too. Stormcallers are literally out there killing people that they can't even see while having damage reduction and a horizontal semi-blink on top of that lol.

Again, I got nothing against the ability. I think its awesome. I just think that there being almost zero outplay is a problem.
I'm starting to think that Mida is THE gun in pvp.
I think it will always be one of the most reliable weapons in PvP. Fast firing Scout Rifles aren't spoken on a lot, but they do good work - especially against some of the limited range of the newer pulse rifles

(I got The Villainy from a FWC level up though. And its like... the best PR in the game as far I'm concerned. At least with the stability perks I have for it. Its hopscotch 2.0)

So I did the Nightfall tonight and my reward was a Celestial Nighthawk...
...My third or fourth year 2 version. So I'm guessing smart loot isn't 100% accurate regardless of if it's engrams or in the wild.

Also found out that once you unlock a year 2 exotic, the 150 marks requirement goes away for the blueprint and it's just a shard and 2500 glimmer. Might be well known by now but I sure didn't know that.

HeadsUp7Up

Jumped back in after leaving after a month when it came out. Feel free to add me, I've still got to finish the original story missions. I have a headset/mic and play in the evenings and on weekends. Central time. If you add me just let me know you're from gaf.

PSN: javant86

Silvard

So who is up for chaining heroic strikes until the cows go home (or at least a couple of hours?). 296 Nightstalker here.

PSN: SilvardCT

PS: Have the mechanics behind the Vanguard Streak been explained or tested anywhere?

DY_nasty

So I did the Nightfall tonight and my reward was a Celestial Nighthawk...
...My third or fourth year 2 version. So I'm guessing smart loot isn't 100% accurate regardless of if it's engrams or in the wild.

Also found out that once you unlock a year 2 exotic, the 150 marks requirement goes away for the blueprint and it's just a shard and 2500 glimmer. Might be well known by now but I sure didn't know that.

I didn't know that. Awesome!

Trickster

Called off our attempt at getting a raid for Oryx, we had 5 people that wanted to go kill him :(

Anyway we're gonna try again tommorow, hopefully we can get the last person then! If anyone is interested, let me know!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Another thing on the orb production - that skyburner helm exotic perk is a gold mine. Tether orb perk + sword kills versus a mob is just unreal. You could save Greece with that shit.
A high ammo machine gun against a crowd of thralls, no super necessary, you could give orbs out free at the car wash

edit: course it'll also charge up your own super soooooo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So who is up for chaining heroic strikes until the cows go home (or at least a couple of hours?). 296 Nightstalker here.

PS: Have the mechanics behind the Vanguard Streak been explained or tested anywhere?
I'd be tootally down for this in maybe 20 minutes if you're cool with that?

What's recommended light for them again?

edit: goddamnit.

DY_nasty

A high ammo machine gun against a crowd of thralls, no super necessary, you could give orbs out free at the car wash

edit: course it'll also charge up your own super soooooo

I need to find a Machine Gun that I like in year 2 :/

I was tempted to buy a Thunderlord 2.0 the other day. Now that I spend most of my time as a Nightstalker though, I've kinda gotten away from them (the stability/reload perks with Thunderlord basically made using heavy a super in itself lol).

I'm still learning new tricks and stuff everyday in 2.0 though. Last night, I discovered that you can kill people with an 'empty' sword in Crucible and it'll still count as a sword kill lol.

BraXzy

The raid hand cannon sounds like a tank and is awesome. Noomi you will love it!

I can't decide if I like it. But I have a bias against hand cannons since I never use them. It takes a super long time to reload and I always feel like I'm doing better DPS with other weapons that have a low Attack.

What perk does yours have? My first one is 302 and has enemies explode on precision kill, and a 308 that does something like regen after 3 quick kills which sounds crappy.

sU2PzzA.jpg

giphy.gif

Yeah the 'smart system' is driving me mad. If I put my absolute highest everything on, I can peak at lvl 295, but that's because of the crazy amount of hours I've been playing these past few days. I've had SO many drops that have ended up being a good 30 levels lower. I've had the same blue 289 cape equipped forever, my legs are stuck just under 290 and I haven't had much luck with heavies.

Like, I used three Antiquated runes at the court of Oryx, each time I got at least two legendaries, each time they were 10 or so levels below what I had :(

Really hoping for some more solid ways to progress, so much relies on RNG when you get high up.

Mupod

Gun is sooo gun in PvP. Go there immediately lol.

it's alright I guess. I had some success with it earlier but I'm not much of an autorifle guy. I've been running around using my 'real' gear in pvp because if I wear messenger/ram/matador then I get shit loot.

Supercell is definitely a beast in PVE though. I combined it with Obsidian Mind and it's just nonstop nova bombs. The electrical proc is very strong too.

After getting real annoyed at my lack of sniper rifles I was surprised to see they just give you an ilvl 250 1000 Yard Stare for doing whatever story quest I got it from. Came with Firefly too. I'm very close to a Vanguard package so if a sniper doesn't come from there I'll burn some of the high level blue specials I've been saving for infusion.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm really liking the Titan class weapons a lot. Just got the Fabian Strategy assault rifle today for rank 3 with the gunsmith, and it's pretty damn good. Also got my Immobius shotgun up to 300. Really like the perks on it and the increased agility on kills makes running around close quarters with it a lot of fun.

Trickster

What time tomorrow? I'm a 295 Hunter that needs him dead.

Honestly depends on when people are up for it. I'm probably gonna be ready from somewhere starting around 2pm and until 2am est.

I know someone said he could before 7 pm and after 11pm.

But add me on psn "sc-trickster", and we'll see if we can line things up tommorow for people.

Trace

Banned
I don't get why Quiver has like 5 seconds, while the Sunbreaker kills me with a flaming hammer in rift, gives me time to respawn, get back to where I was, and kills me again.

Silvard

Honestly depends on when people are up for it. I'm probably gonna be ready from somewhere starting around 2pm and until 2am est.

I know someone said he could before 7 pm and after 11pm.

But add me on psn "sc-trickster", and we'll see if we can line things up tommorow for people.

Is this a fresh run? If so then please count me in as a potential member. I'm a 296 Hunter.

Gonna start a raid at war priest in like 6 min. Looking for 1 maybe two ppl to join. Add me blunoise1

Unless this pans out. Invite?

Afrocious

Can someone help me with Fears Embrace?

sU2PzzA.jpg

giphy.gif

This is the funniest post

Trace

Banned
Okay guys we just need 1 more!

I need to do just warpriest if you're ok with that, I had to leave last night with my raid and we're going to try again later, but they beat that fight without me.

294 hunter, can't talk atm but I do good damage.

I don't get why Quiver has like 5 seconds, while the Sunbreaker kills me with a flaming hammer in rift, gives me time to respawn, get back to where I was, and kills me again.

yea no roaming super should last more than 10 seconds idle and any usage should bring down the meter.

Top Bottom