• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Afrocious

Paradox was the VoG mission?

God no. Fear's Embrace > that.

You can actually camp and snipe in the VoG mission.

Try doing that shit in Fear's Embrace.

Shito

I don't know because I haven't done the mission yet, but someone in this thread told earlier how you could camp and snipe your way through Fear's Embrace with a nightstalker and the stillpiercer... ^^

All I did was hide in the doorway to get through that mission. Paradox comes earlier in the game where you're more likely to have bad weapons.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How do we
Do a lot of damage to echo? He seems to like not want to appear often and we don't seem to do a lot of damage to him. Using swords on him and all.

Lunar FC

All I did was hide in the doorway to get through that mission. Paradox comes earlier in the game where you're more likely to have bad weapons.

My brother and I just ran it after completing the main story mission yesterday. We haven't done any strikes or crucible yet but were both 15 light over the recommended 190.

How do we
Do a lot of damage to echo? He seems to like not want to appear often and we don't seem to do a lot of damage to him. Using swords on him and all.
Weapons of light + Snipers
Shouldn't be using swords.
We're talking about the raid right?

traveler

Not Wario
How do we

Snipers are best, for pretty much everything in the raid damage wise echo included. Having a weapons bubble inside is also useful. Don't think I'd risk sword- definitely go for precision shots with a sniper or hmg. We didn't really have to coordinate but if that didn't work, you could try each facing in a different direction and calling when you see him.

I did it solo. 😎
And didn't camp.
Have a cookie.
20091107cookie-citarella.jpg

coy

I loved Paradox as the place is still special to me. Anecdotally, I died once on Paradox but 8 times on Fear's Embrace. There is so much to deal with that I couldn't keep track of everything the first few tries before figuring out all the different ways to die. Completing this cemented my newfound devotion to the Nightstalker subclass.
Anyone willing to do a
Daughter and then Oryx run?
I'm still game for this.

todd360

Play crucible without TLW when heavy round is announced equip it, grab heavy and hide for 1 min then start your rampage with the machine gun. Your % increases a lot with a relentless streak. Also do it in classic 6v6 it's a lot easier

You can also just use the last word. It's still amazing.

I feel like I'm the only one still using it. I love it so much.

I loved Paradox as the place is still special to me. Anecdotally, I died once on Paradox but 8 times on Fear's Embrace. There is so much to deal with that I couldn't keep track of everything the first few tries before figuring out all the different ways to die. Completing this cemented my newfound devotion to the Nightstalker subclass.

I'm still game for this.

Sweet. Not sure if the rest of our old group is able.

Anyone else for
Daughters and onward?

Room for 4.

I could really use a break from searching for Relic Iron. And of course, the Speaker is selling FOUR ghosts that detect Helium.

Magik

For Fear's Embrace I would suggest using rockets as it does quite a bit of damage.

As for location, I just camped at the entrance since you get really good clear view of the Echo. Of course keep an eye out for the ads otherwise they will overrun you and you don't have much room to hide in the entrance area.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait a second... sword quest spoilers me?

When you do whatever the Exotic sword quest do you lose your legendary sword?? Cause, uh, that would blow really hard?

rc213

Wait a second... sword quest spoilers me?

When you do whatever the Exotic sword quest do you lose your legendary sword?? Cause, uh, that would blow really hard?

Yes you unfortunately it seems, I'm holding on to my legendary version. I'll pick up a Second on my Hunter and Ascend that one too Exotic unless it adds some can't miss perk.

Requiem1911 and I finally cleared a few more raid checkpoints, I think the rest of the team was 2 non-GAFers and 2 more LFG people. Good stuff. After beating these bosses legit I'm even more impressed with the design of King's fall, it really feels like they took all the lessons from both VoG and Crota to heart in designing this raid.

Spoilers:
It's a good thing to me that they force anyone to be the 'ghost' randomly in Daughters of Oryx, it makes it impossible to carry someone. Everyone on the raid team needs to be pretty good at platforming. I'm a little frightened of doing this on my Hunter though, but it was pretty easy as a Titan. The coordination required to step on the plates in the right order is great. Golgoroth also feels like an improved version of the post-burn Skolas fight, the mechanic of passing the gaze is somewhat similar to passing the poison and the fight doesn't drag on forever and ever like Skolas did. DPS doesn't seem to be too much of an issue here, I used the Hereafter exotic sniper without sniper reload gloves and did OK, I expect I could significantly increase DPS as a Hunter with my Stillpiercer, Oiled Frame, and reload gloves once I get them leveled.
Didn't get to
face the Oryx fight afterward
but we will try to save the checkpoint Tuesday morning (assuming this still works) and reconvene later to finish the raid.

Videos of the clears, spoilers obviously:

Golgoroth
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohUS2PMLsA

Daughters
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtfFkPqdTfk

Edit: youtube told me "We detected your video might be shaky, would you like us to stabilize it?" LOL bungie and their shakycam, youtube is on to you :)

coy

I did that for 1st 10 deaths then said fuck and just stayed in 1 spot and shot everything that moved. Lucky I had friend with me and I had 297 attack machine gun.
Funny, I tried staying at the entrance the first attempt but was unprepared for the volley of shit coming my way so decided to move about the area. I'll keep this in mind when I take my alts there.

traveler

Not Wario
Been reading through the rest of the grimoire entries after finishing the raid and reading the Book of Sorrow earlier. I'm curious- who do we think is actually speaking the entry for Oryx and the King's Fall?

Oryx
Defeated
entry:

Dwell a moment on the weight of what you’ve done. Contemplate the story you just ended. Will you ever do anything that screams down the millennia? Will you ever hammer your will on the universe until it rings and rings and rings? Oryx was an awesome power. Show reverence.

All right. Enough. Enough. A vacancy has opened, hasn’t it?

How interesting. How very interesting.

Do you ever pause, dear listener, to consider who benefits from all this heroism you commit? Do you ever look around you and feel the faintest chill? As if you are the tiny little ball bearing placed beneath a great mass, so that it might, if pushed, begin to roll?

You’re a god yourself, now. You’ve consecrated yourself. Emulate me. Use your power to learn.

There are worse things to practice being.

King's Fall grimoire entry for reference:

Where are you going? No, wait, listen.

I was right, at first. In the ever-expanding Blighted-place, even Light must obey the sword-logic. Even you Guardians, you best and brightest of the dying dawn, you drew blood in honor of the Taken King. The Warpriest did his duty, and you did yours. Oryx was challenged, yes, but challenged in the way of the Hive, which is to say that challenge is worship — is challenge — is power. Sword-logic. You played your part well.

You were not supposed to touch the Light.

How did you find your way into the King's Cellars? How did you even recognize that benighted draught for what it was? Do you not know that the Hive pursue Light precisely for the purpose of devouring it with slavering jaws and slick greedy gulping throats? How did you take (or rather, un-Take) the Blighted Light that Oryx gathered to offer in sacrifice to Akka, and ignite it so that it burned and burned the Darkness?

It was barely Light anymore. But you took it. And when you took it, you did not keep it. You set it free.

You fools! You disastrous, bumbling squanderers! It's not right! Who now shall be First Navigator, Lord of Shapes, harrowed god, Taken King? Not you! You might have been Kings and Queens of the Deep! But you have toppled Oryx and you have not replaced him!

There must be a strongest one. It is the architecture of these spaces.

Why are you leaving?

Is this
a worm? One of the Nine? Or even an Ahamkara?I really have no clue.
Edit:
Another entry- Oryx Rebuked- from apparently the same narrator refers to "our little blue world"- so perhaps this is a human?

Also, I think it's probably better to read the book of sorrow before the raid rather than waiting till you get all your calcified fragments. It doesn't spoil the raid, only provides context for some of the things you'll see.

todd360

Yeah but sometimes the % pressure gets the best of you and make some poor decisions

Yeah. I suppose that is a part of the difficulty. I didn't think it was very hard, but I guess I'm in the minority there. The last word has been my go to gun in crucible for awhile now, so I didn't really have to adjust either.

Also is it just me or do the raid weapons look like that bad guy from the original power rangers? I don't like this evil gear. We are supposed to be warriors of light. We need some golden age level tech or something.

Nirran

Anyone doing court tier 3? Need one for the quest and haven't had any luck with finding anyone doing it nor getting any drops to do it.

BraXzy

Just spent two hours running strikes for engrams. Did I make any progress at all towards a higher light level? Nope. -.- ugh

Top Bottom