• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

lupin23rd

Couple questions:

- Any recommendations for items from New Monarchy?

- Is there any strike that's good for getting the step in the Voidwalker quest where you have to complete a strike with a Nova Bomb generating 7 orbs three times?

I got mine from the
2nd boss.

Ta, I've got that CP on my Warlock (stuck at 291 because of boots), though will probably try a fresh run on my Hunter who is also stuck on 291 because of boots, so I get another shot at the ghost

Couple questions:

- Any recommendations for items from New Monarchy?

- Is there any strike that's good for getting the step in the Voidwalker quest where you have to complete a strike with a Nova Bomb generating 7 orbs three times?

The stairs in undying mind count for Voidwalker/Nova bomb as well as striker for some reason, just wipe/repeat untill done

Bradach

I'm all the way at 273 light and the only legendary weapons I've gotten are 2 crappy ARs. Well, this one is actually pretty good but only 200 light.

7LN5zec.png
I got a 264 version of this last night. It's real nice

ocean

Banned
Can anyone detail the quest steps for the Touch of Malice? Can't watch videos for another 6 hours or so.
Gonna get that this week. Need it so much.
It's rather long but basically:

- Complete the Eris quest lines, including the one which asks you to complete the Raid (it requires killing all the Raid bosses)

- Get 45 Calcified Fragments to get the next steps

- Run a special instance of Undying Mind where you have to kill a Taken Cabal during the boss fight

- Run a special instance of Fear's Embrace where you have to kill a Taken Wizard during the boss fight

I'm hoping to get it today, if I manage to get all the Fragments I need.

Can anyone please help me with the 290 Shield Brothers strike? I'm waiting at the room before the bosses. I tried it with randoms but we only managed to kill one boss and wiped multiple times. I need it for the Chaperone quest. :(

Dalek

I used my marks to get the year 2 Bad Juju from the exotic blueprints but I notice it's attack is 280 whereas the exotics I got from drops are 290. Did I screw up here?

KxoZz

It's rather long but basically:

- Complete the Eris quest lines, including the one which asks you to complete the Raid (it requires killing all the Raid bosses)

- Get 45 Calcified Fragments to get the next steps

- Run a special instance of Undying Mind where you have to kill a Taken Cabal during the boss fight

- Run a special instance of Fear's Embrace where you have to kill a Taken Wizard during the boss fight

I'm hoping to get it today, if I manage to get all the Fragments I need.

Thanks!
So I need to do the Warpriest today and will try to get the Fragments.
The last two steps seem pretty simple.

Impulsor

Well, yesterday I had the time of my life in Destiny. First taste of a raid EVER since I missed the last two raids because other games.

The team was AWESOME, the raid was also really cool and I had a smile on my face even after wiping to golgoroth time and time again, as we were making slow but steady progress.

Jafku
SilvardCT
DONorr17
warrior_of_uae
Alex-willoz

Wish I could buy you guys a beer. :D

So I'll tell you why it was so much fun:

Nobody lost there temper or patience, everybody was having fun. The balls in the golgoroth fight were the subject of a lot of jokes lol. We all had fun with the jumping puzzle and those devices that pushed you down were also the subject of a lot of jokes... and so was I since I was the last one to complete it.

And lastly the sisters. That was really fun coordinating between us to pull it off.

This expansion man, this expansion....and Based Destiny GAF!

lupin23rd

Ta, I've got that CP on my Warlock (stuck at 291 because of boots), though will probably try a fresh run on my Hunter who is also stuck on 291 because of boots, so I get another shot at the ghost

The stairs in undying mind count for Voidwalker/Nova bomb as well as striker for some reason, just wipe/repeat untill done

Thanks!

KxoZz

Goddamn Lumi and BSK are just absolute beasts at this game

No wipe 44 minute run on the weekend of release? I gotta get good

Reading through the comments and it seems like someone dontated them 1000$ afterwards as a kind of reward. Lol who has money for that?

FYI sealed ahamkara + gambler's dagger does = 3 throwing knives

you gotta infuse that thing bro

I'm looking into it right now! I'm testing samples and now I want to make an app you can use to test multiple infusions haha. Here are my test cases, parenthesis is the guns I'm infusing into it.

200 (START)
212 (215)
236 (242)
251 (255)
257 (259)

247 (259)
253 (255)

244 (255)
256 (259)

234 (242)
251 (255)
257 (259)

So personally I'd go with the 2 steps for 256, I think.

ocean

Banned
Reading through the comments and it seems like someone dontated them 1000$ afterwards as a kind of reward. Lol who has money for that?
Lol this kind of thing happens more often than you'd imagine for the big streamers. Sometimes they'll get all emotional like "your stream has saved my life from this abyss of depression because everyone I have ever met in my life has died in the past 4 months but watching you play Destiny makes it all good", which is more than a little disturbing.

But I dunno I guess I like the fact that some really talented folks get to do what they like and get paid for it. Being very talented and entertaining to watch while performing a hobby shouldn't be a surprising way to make money. It certainly isn't novel: think of a guitar player, an actor, or a dancer. Anyone can do any of these things for fun, but few manage to do it at a consistently world class level while also being enjoyable to watch.

After thinking about this Raid.

They wanted to make an experience that many gamers had when they went through the Vault of Glass for the first time, something that FPS games never been too. King's Fall was the next step. The true successor to VOG. The kill tonight was so intense and hype it reminded me of when I started to flip out seeing Atheon melt, it felt amazing to see Oryx floating dead in space. They truly brought the feeling of EPIC and ADVENTURE together in this raid. I can't wait for a true Fallen raid or a Cabal raid in the future now. I'm taking a day off Destiny tomorrow. Lol

KxoZz

Where is the guy who said he would call bullshit on anyone contradicting him when he said there is no way anyone would be able to do the raid in a couple of hours until next month atleast.

That is kind of a stupid assumption though. People will be doing this in 30 minutes next month. On each character. With PUGs.

Omni

Why do people want to see Fallen and Cabal raids?

They're so boring. Especially the latter. Go back to Vex please, Bungie.

I got a 264 version of this last night. It's real nice

Nice! Yea I had it and used it for 1 mission then used whatever that had better light that replaced it. I'm definitely infusing mine now because I miss it.

Does yours have the same perks? Stability and unflinching?

ocean

Banned
I'm looking into it right now! I'm testing samples and now I want to make an app you can use to test multiple infusions haha. Here are my test cases, parenthesis is the guns I'm infusing into it.

200 (START)
212 (215)
236 (242)
251 (255)
257 (259)

247 (259)
253 (255)

244 (255)
256 (259)

234 (242)
251 (255)
257 (259)

So personally I'd go with the 2 steps for 256.
http://infusioncalculator.hamnation.com

Is a good resource if you want to test infusion numbers

Why do people want to see Fallen and Cabal raids?

They're so boring. Especially the latter. Go back to Vex please, Bungie.

Anyone who has played Prison of Elders would not want to see a Cabal raid.

Also, we know the Cabal aren't very good at raiding because they crashed their ship into the Dreadnaught, sending in countless reinforcements, and yet they still couldn't beat Oryx.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
We did it. Fuck you and your whole family Oryx.

Thanks to Jigga and Mindlog for the help. Everybody for the group effort throughout the whole thing. Going to need like 20 Red Bulls to stay awake.

KxoZz

Lol this kind of thing happens more often than you'd imagine for the big streamers. Sometimes they'll get all emotional like "your stream has saved my life from this abyss of depression because everyone I have ever met in my life has died in the past 4 months but watching you play Destiny makes it all good", which is more than a little disturbing.

But I dunno I guess I like the fact that some really talented folks get to do what they like and get paid for it. Being very talented and entertaining to watch while performing a hobby shouldn't be a surprising way to make money. It certainly isn't novel: think of a guitar player, an actor, or a dancer. Anyone can do any of these things for fun, but few manage to do it at a consistently world class level while also being enjoyable to watch.

I don't usually watch any streamers so I have no clue, but thinking about it it makes sense the way you explained it. These guy probably put in 5 times the amout of time on this raid since it launched than most hardcore people. I spent 16 hours on my first clear. They deserve it.

nOoblet16

Anyone who has played Prison of Elders would not want to see a Cabal raid.

Also, we know the Cabal aren't very good at raiding because they crashed their ship into the Dreadnaught and still couldn't beat Oryx.

I honestly hate the hive aesthetic...but they have some nice areas like the final room or the bridge in CE. And I absolutely despise the weapon and armour design, fuck bones and skulls...my current weapon (a scout rifle) literally looks like a slab of meat with bones protruding out.

I don't want these, I want the smooth Vex shit. I'd like a Fallen raid though.

Bogeypop

We did it. Fuck you and your whole family Oryx.

Thanks to Jigga and Mindlog for the help. Everybody for the group effort throughout the whole thing. Going to need like 20 Red Bulls to stay awake.

Congrats!

Gimme an extra code. The one I used didn't work. Dunno if you can still even get the Red Bull quest.
Though I think you're kidding about even having Red Bulls anyways
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

k1t4j

So guys let's talk about Jade Rabbit.

On CoO Tier 3, the level 42 Ogre was receiving 14k+ crits, sometimes higher. after a few body shots. I got my ammo back and did it all over again. Sexy!

Not to mention most of the bosses in destiny, especially the ones from vanilla (Looking at you Valus) are pretty easy to pull this off, so this weapon can be a beast in the right hands.

Even in encounters that require more moving arround, like shield brothers, you can kite the First brother just hip fire a few body shots then ADS for that bonus and free ammo.

The perk does take some getting used to but it's definately worth it.

I honestly hate the hive aesthetic...but they have some nice areas like the Oryx room or the bridge in CE. And I absolutely despise the weapon and armour design, fuck bones and skulls...my current weapon (a scout rifle) literally looks like a slab of meat with bones protruding out.

I don't want these, I want the smooth Vex shit. I'd like a Fallen raid though.

I was all for the gothic "royal undead" Hive vibe as a juxtaposition to the other alien stuff when the game launched... but yea after Crota i was tired of it. The dreadnaught is largely an eyesore as well when Saturn isn't in view. There are however some places in the Raid that are drop dead gorgeous and I'm glad for them.

I don't know if we'll get a Fallen Raid anytime soon since they're currently in disarray. We broke all of the Vex clocks and the Hive have lost two gods now. A Cabal raid makes the most sense at this point [unfortunately]. Their crashed ship is very atmospheric, but they're incredibly annoying to fight.

It's too bad House of Wolves didn't have a Fallen raid. I feel like they gave us 3 cool Raid-like weapons and a bunch of armor and now it's just forgotten about.

Mindlog

Good job team.
I got a hand cannon with firefly.
Can anyone please help me with the 290 Shield Brothers strike? I'm waiting at the room before the bosses. I tried it with randoms but we only managed to kill one boss and wiped multiple times. I need it for the Chaperone quest. :(
Wish I could help, but I'm dead tired and it's almost time to wake up.
Completed it earlier, but with a 300 Shotgun and very high light levels. Still tough. Whipped out a void rocket launcher to clean up those psions.

Raid final encounter spoilers.
I was the highest light at level 298. My position was to stay on the Deathsinger platform and help kill Ogres. Ignore the adds.

Ammo management is very important. Snipers and HMGs for everyone not using a sword. You need to use HMGs and snipers in almost every phase so it's just something you'll need to learn to balance. *Rocket launchers could work too, but the reliable stagger of a good HMG is very useful.

The Ogres need to die quickly. Use snipers to stagger them or dump HMG. The free person in the middle needs to help. Everyone should help each other as much as possible as long as their own Ogre doesn't wander off. If Ogres are regularly leaving their corners reset and practice this phase until they are regularly killed in their own corners. It's OK to have an Ogre wander on a real run, but it shouldn't happen too often.

You don't have to wipe after a death. We had a lot of deaths on our successful run. We often had two deaths when the bombs went off.

Two or three people were using high level swords to kill the Knight.

Weapons of light is a must. Drop it in the middle where everyone can get the buff then move into the aura.

The Knight should be down and everyone ready to stun Oryx just before or after the fist slam.

Time the bombs so everyone detonates as closely as possible. There is bonus damage here.

If anyone can make orbs in the middle do so. You have to have weapons of light every time. It is probably not optional. The damage boost and temporary shield until the aura arrives are lifesavers. Everyone else should be doing chip damage.

Avoid the mortars by running in circles around your respective platforms. Also one person at the front and one in the back. Running together is OK too.

At 50% the Void dimension starts. Everyone should take up positions in the same places they started the encounter. The team will be warped in one at a time. It's very important to kill the adds as they spawn on the outside. Any add not killed wanders inside and makes killing the Shade harder.

Inside there will be a Shade of Oryx. Kill it as quickly as possible. Tethering the shade as he enters the bubble is very effective, but not necessary. If you don't need the Tether consider telling any hunters to use Nighthawk Golden Gun during the Oryx stagger phase.

We only managed to kill the Shade a second time once before doing it again and completing the encounter.

When you think Oryx is dead he is not. Prepare one last DPS burst on his chest.

I may have missed a detail or two. Feel free to ask any questions.

It's my last day of vacation. I leave tomorrow night but really late so I won't be home until 6pm Tuesday. I should have 'taken' Wednesday off of work, dangit. Can't wait to put in hours of Destiny when I get back, other than doing just the daily heroic/pvp most days.

Not to mention playing with alts!

TheRook

I got 3 spots for Kings fall

PSN: Therook_jza80

If you have done it already then could you share some tech on getting through the bosses? I'd appreciate it.

zewone

So guys let's talk about Jade Rabbit.

On CoO Tier 3, the level 42 Ogre was receiving 14k+ crits, sometimes higher. after a few body shots. I got my ammo back and did it all over again. Sexy!

Not to mention most of the bosses in destiny, especially the ones from vanilla (Looking at you Valus) are pretty easy to pull this off, so this weapon can be a beast in the right hands.

Even in encounters that require more moving arround, like shield brothers, you can kite the First brother just hip fire a few body shots then ADS for that bonus and free ammo.

The perk does take some getting used to but it's definately worth it.
Its the poor man's Touch of Malice.

I really hope to beat Oryx tomorrow.

Jinjo

It's a long questline. Here's a video the details exactly what needs to be done to get it. But yes, at one point, you do need 45 fragments.

Thanks guys. Damn, what a quest. Can't believe some have already got it.

Did the first part of the quest, but Hunger Pangs never triggered for me. Guess I need to finish the post-story questline first.

So much content.

Bungie, hats off to you.

Now I definitely need a new Oryx hat

pixxxelz

So is the recommended light level for the raid 295? I'm sitting at 292 atm I know I can reach 295 but rngesus refuses to give me good boots!

Top Bottom