• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

TheGentleman

Neo Member
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Damn you Boolean Gemini! Damn you Queen's Wrath reputation.

I don't get it. Friend of mine is Rank 2 and got the weapon. I'm rank 2,5 and didn't get anything. O well, time to focus on another gun I suppose.

There's no way of fixing the Quest is there GAF?

.... really wanted the Exotic Scout Rifle to "boost" my Warlock. Guess that aint happening.

It seems to be an annoying bug? in that the weapon won't be given after the quest,
But have you done variks quest as well? If you have, Your best bet may be to wait untill reset and see if you get the weapon then.

hope this helps.

I'd leave Defender as the only S tier and drop Nightstalker down with Sunbreaker to A.

By sheer virtue of the following test: if you had to run it with 6x 1 class, which should it be? For every phase, I'd say Defender. Or viewed otherwise, I can't imagine a situation where a group would say "we would be having an easier time with an extra Nightstalker" vs "we could really use another bubble for DPS".

I did it as a Nightstalker and I had fun and felt like my tether was really helping out, just like Hammers were. But I don't think it was as essential a component to consistent, reliable DPS when it matters as WoL bubbles were.

Bubbles are great for protection, but the value of WoL will go down once we are overleveled with proper gear. I also don't think they stack so I'm not sure what you mean by "more DPS". A bubble in 3 separate locations would certainly allow the team to coast through a Raid, but seeing as they are not offensive supers and do not directly help to control adds (of which there were a ridiculous amount of in this Raid), I elected to hold the Nightstalkers up just as high. They can take care of adds and then some. A Defender has great PvE utility, but it relies entirely on their super, which needs orbs, which Nightstalker apparently makes the most of!

I think it'd be silly to run anything with all of the same class. I don't think a Raid needs more than one Nightstalker, but having one in the group (especially being played by a skilled player if I may say so myself) gives the run a good backbone.

Either way, both of the best classes for PvE content from now on are the support classes, and that is good to see.

1. Wearing your very best gear, run as many Strikes (no need for Heroic) as you can or Court of Oryx. Blue engrams will slowly increase in quality and little by little bump you.

2. Quest lines: the Ikora quest line ends up giving you the choice between a 300 Shotgun or a Fusion Rifle. The Eris Court of Oryx line pays off a 300 Artifact. Doing all the Petra/Cariks quests gives you a 290 Exotic Scout. Reaching Rank 3 with the Gunsmith gives you a 290 class-exclusive Exotic.

3. 3 of Coins if it doesn't get nerfed. By farming Exotic engrams with this method, all of which are 290, you get extremely good drops to Infuse your setup with.

Which Ikora quest is that for the shotgun or fusion rifle? I'm gonna grind that one out this morning as my special is still 255.

We did it. Fuck you and your whole family Oryx.

Thanks to Jigga and Mindlog for the help. Everybody for the group effort throughout the whole thing. Going to need like 20 Red Bulls to stay awake.

Congratulations! We are finishing him off tonight!

Anyone got a
Grogoroth
checkpoint after he has been slain? Need that Fragment!

Waldini

I don't think it's possible to get it until rank 3. Even if you did all her quests and didn't get it, as soon as you hit rank 3 she will have it there for you.

Like I said, friend of mine is Rank 2. He got the weapon after he turned in his Quest.

It seems to be an annoying bug? in that the weapon won't be given after the quest,
But have you done variks quest as well? If you have, Your best bet may be to wait untill reset and see if you get the weapon then.

hope this helps.

Yep! I'll just wait for the reset but it looks like the Quest is bugged. I've completed every Variks Quest (Wolves of Mars, where you hunt down that Archon Priest was the last one). After that, it was Lost and Found (already completed The Taken War : Petra). I stepped into the Court of Oryx, killed a witch and immediatly after that Quest part 1, 2 and 3 were done. Returned to Petra, turned in the Quest and got reputation :(

Again, I've seen people claiming to have gotten the gun who are rank 1, 2 or higher. Makes no sense.

LFG cracks me up. One listing says

"LF1M for Oryx. Be experienced with the fight because we will not explain it."

lol, amongst many other things wrong with this mentality the raid came out 3 days ago. smh.

This is gonna suck for me as I will have to rely on other websites to Raid when I'm ready later this week. All my friends will be awhile.

Unfortunately can't raid with GAF as I'm on Xbox :(

This is gonna suck for me as I will have to rely on other websites to Raid when I'm ready later this week. All my friends will be awhile.

Unfortunately can't raid with GAF as I'm on Xbox :(

Check the first post, there should be a outdated list of xbone players, when I say outdated I am assuming it has not been updated since the Taken King release. Could be wrong...who knows.

ocean

Banned
Bubbles are great for protection, but the value of WoL will go down once we are overleveled with proper gear. I also don't think they stack so I'm not sure what you mean by "more DPS". A bubble in 3 separate locations would certainly allow the team to coast through a Raid, but seeing as they are not offensive supers and do not directly help to control adds (of which there were a ridiculous amount of in this Raid), I elected to hold the Nightstalkers up just as high. They can take care of adds and then some. A Defender has great PvE utility, but it relies entirely on their super.

I think it'd be silly to run anything with all of the same class. I don't think a Raid needs more than one Nightstalker, but having one in the group (especially being played by a skilled player if I may say so myself) gives the run a good backbone.
Oh I agree 6x 1 subclass is a handicap. I was just thinking how the main crutch (as you note, at least while we're sub 300) tends to be DPS from what I've seen. Buffing damage by 35% basically means 2 people can be dead and the team's total damage output is still equivalent to what a full team's would have been without the bubble. While we're under leveled this creates some margin of error in encounters which otherwise don't have any.

I loved our team composition: 5 Titans and a Hunter. I went NS all the way, and the rest of the guys changed between Defender and Sunbreaker as the situation called for it. And I agree that NS add a solid boost to the team.

But I still kind of feel that, as long as the DPS check in the Raid is so strict (it requires near-perfect execution in many areas), WoL offers some breathing room and makes rounds more consistently successful. I don't think any other subclass brings something that big to the table.

That's not to say the other classes are useless in PvE though. Golden Gun is still essential in the Vault of Glass and Bladedancers are still the MVPs of Crota's End. There was a time when Sunsinger was the best Raid class as well. Everything has its uses; for King's fall however, we all must embrace the void.

My raid group just took down Oryx! We got to the final phase three times in a row before finally hitting it, but damn after 7 hours straight off the same shit I feel like we can do it with our eyes closed!

What was the shards supposed to do? I defeated Oryx with over 20 of them and ended up getting two primaries, is that it? Meaning I otherwise would of only got one?

Team Composition:
2 Defenders
2 Sunsingers
2 Nightstalkers

My raid group just took down Oryx! We got to the final phase three times in a row before finally hitting it, but damn after 7 hours straight off the same shit I feel like we can do it with our eyes closed!

What was the shards supposed to do? I defeated Oryx with over 20 of them and ended up getting two primaries, is that it? Meaning I otherwise would of only got one?

That'd be my guess.

ocean

Banned
Which Ikora quest is that for the shotgun or fusion rifle? I'm gonna grind that one out this morning as my special is still 255.
I don't remember the name. I think it starts with some missions? I know eventually it'll ask you to do 5 Heroic Strikes and then 1 Nightfall and then she gives you that sweet 300 weapon. I went with the shotgun, it's great. I had to infuse it into my Sniper though because the Raid was driving me nuts and I needed a better sniper. Look forward to getting that shotty back when I do quests on my alts. It's super slow but hits so damn hard...

Like I said, friend of mine is Rank 2. He got the weapon after he turned in his Quest.

Yep! I'll just wait for the reset but it looks like the Quest is bugged. I've completed every Variks Quest (Wolves of Mars, where you hunt down that Archon Priest was the last one). After that, it was Lost and Found (already completed The Taken War : Petra). I stepped into the Court of Oryx, killed a witch and immediatly after that Quest part 1, 2 and 3 were done. Returned to Petra, turned in the Quest and got reputation :(

Again, I've seen people claiming to have gotten the gun who are rank 1, 2 or higher. Makes no sense.

That's really random. I never got it when I did the quests but ranking up to 3 with her triggered it. It's quite a glitchy quest anyway sometimes the actually quest for the weapon doesn't pop till the next day.

Raybunny

Team Composition:
2 Defenders
2 Sunsingers
2 Nightstalkers

I had 12 shards and got 2 primaries + 1 helmet. I have no idea how much more loot you can get with 20 shards. 4 items top?

(Just need some nice gloves and chest. Gorgoroth I am looking at you.
Them sexy gloves daug!)

Rainmaker

Banned
I think
they may have set up a Cabal DLC in the story with them trying to contact "something" outside of our system or whatever it was and it was nice to kind of learn a little bit more about how the Cabal are set up as they've been in the backseat for most of this game it feels like.

That being said I think The Fallen have the most potential out of all the enemies to be the most interesting and HoW was really a letdown if we don't get a Fallen raid/more time devoted to them.

I totally agree the Hive aesthetic is pretty lame most of the time. We've had hive-themed gear once and I guess "spiky and dark" is fun every once in awhile but eesh. I will say this stuff is different enough from TDB where I'm not entirely upset about it. I'm not sure the Cabal aesthetic will be that much fun but we still have a lot to learn about them and maybe they can surprise me.

How good TTK is REALLY does show how awful the past DLC's have been. Especially HoW. Well, actually it even highlights how bad the base game was. I would think the final DLC between Year 2 and Destiny 2 would need to be something huge and full of story to lead us into something bigger and better but I don't think they can't accomplish that with the DLC pattern Bungie had through Year 1.

Anyway, The Book of Sorrows and The Taken King have left me with a lot of ideas of how cool more Hive-related stuff could be but I'm a bit burnt out on them for now. Maybe they could do with intertwining the wars between our foes a bit more so DLCs don't have to be so heavy on just one group.

ocean

Banned
That's really random. I never got it when I did the quests but ranking up to 3 with her triggered it. It's quite a glitchy quest anyway sometimes the actually quest for the weapon doesn't pop till the next day.
I'm rank 2 and without any Petra bounties (she only had 2 and I did them), I fear it'll take me a pretty long time to get the weapon if it's rank 3. They should give me more ways to earn rank with her, 2 bounties a week is ugh it'll take a long as a time to each 3

TheGentleman

Neo Member

Something similar happened when I did this quest, But after finishing the Wolves of Mars quest-line and the final step 'Primes path' and killing Orbiks Prime on Mars petra had an notification which after checking I received the weapon boolean gemini.

But yeah, this weapons quest-line does seem to have some glitches when it comes to the final reward.

ocean

Banned
I had 12 shards and got 2 primaries + 1 helmet. I have no idea how much more loot you can get with 20 shards. 4 items top?

Them sexy gloves daug!)
Holy crap Ray you got Ghost 2 Primaries boots and Helm in one run? Whaaaa

I got a chest and a 300 (aka absolute minimum) Pulse (aka weapon class I hate).

Congrats on hitting the mother load, geez. Do you have any good Calcified guides for our Malice farm session tonight?

Langy

Morning DGaf. I have the full day off work today so my intention is to finish off the Raid. My group on Friday got to Golgoroth and kind of just gave up due to tiredness, and we havent attempted it since. However since no one seems up for trying it i think it's best just to get a new team going.

So the plan is either to start from my Golgoroth checkpoint, or if enough people want to start it again i am fine with that also.

Would prefer to go as soon as we get a full group.

1. Me (Langoit)

Them sexy gloves daug!)
I officially hate you!

My entire raid loot for week one, with over 20 shards, was the chest piece, hand canon, and Scout Rifle. That's it. :(

Raybunny

BTW taking into consideration that Bungie somehow listen to its player base, that titans had a quite useless punch mechanic with its T-rex arms, that they introduced melting point with Sunbreaker and that my titan helmet does look like a dinosaur:

trex.jpg

I only have one thing to say:
noudidnt.jpg

I officially hate you!

My entire raid loot for week one, with over 20 shards, was the chest piece, hand canon, and Scout Rifle. That's it. :(

Dont hate. Bunny is just like everyone else. RNG is the one to fight against.

Sizzle55

I am going to need some help with Fears Embrace can not do it solo! On PS4 user gra33zy any help much appreciated. It is driving me nuts! No mic just want it done with! Thank you.

Biggy

Morning DGaf. I have the full day off work today so my intention is to finish off the Raid. My group on Friday got to Golgoroth and kind of just gave up due to tiredness, and we havent attempted it since. However since no one seems up for trying it i think it's best just to get a new team going.

So the plan is either to start from my Golgoroth checkpoint, or if enough people want to start it again i am fine with that also.

1. Me (Langoit)
Just beat the second boss, I can help out if we can get more people.

ocean

Banned
After getting The Hanged Man I don't think I'll ever change shaders again. So good. DO shaders complete, now I just need the ship before gunning for New Monarchy stuff.

Raybunny

can't wait to go ghost hunting tomorrow. well, in like 8 hours.

In 8 hours me and ocean will be fragment hunting. That means go to the raid again until the Deadsinger sisters to get them if you feel like joining you will surely have a spot.

Thanks. That perfectionist perk is so good. Imagine infinite shots on the sisters + the ogres on T3 CoO plus others bosses.

1. Me (Langoit)

Noooo

ocean

Banned
In 8 hours me and ocean will be fragment hunting. That means go to the raid again until the Deadsinger sisters to get them if you feel like joining you will surely have a spot.
Falifax also said he's coming. We'll have an almost-full group for the Raid parts. We could even start on an alt if they're high level for extra loot and then swap checkpoint for the fragments?

Malice hype yiss

Raybunny

Falifax also said he's coming. We'll have an almost-full group for the Raid parts. We could even start on an alt if they're high level for extra loot and then swap checkpoint for the fragments?

Malice hype yiss

Sounds good to me. Even though my alt is 297 I will unfortunately need to go on Titan again since my eris quest was not ready. Will need the gorgo + warpriest kill to get that done. The chests we already got on our mains we can get them on our alts also.

deoee

1. Me (Langoit)

If it's from the beginngin and about soon I'd jump in :D

292 hunter, first time tho.
I haven't seen anything except the first boss.

deoee0

Marvel

could never
Grimcard for
Baxx the gravekeeper
is amazing btw. Just getting into these now that I bought a tablet.

Zocano

Anyone who has played Prison of Elders would not want to see a Cabal raid.

Also, we know the Cabal aren't very good at raiding because they crashed their ship into the Dreadnaught, sending in countless reinforcements, and yet they still couldn't beat Oryx.

The Hive and Vex sort of naturally lend themselves well to the structure of raids (rituals and time wibbly wobbly shit, respectively).

The Cabal are a military race and Fallen are scavengers. I mean I might be able to see a Fallen Raid as like a weird construction like raid where you have to scavenge together different parts to create different tools to succeed but the Cabal are just shoot bangers.

Supposedly the Cabal finally get center stage with one of the upcoming expansions this year so we'll see what they do. Hopefully they develop the Cabal a bit more and we get something interesting.

Grimcard for
Baxx the gravekeeper
is amazing btw. Just getting into these now that I bought a tablet.

I am eager to learn more about Taox.

Top Bottom