• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

With the Fallen version it is a lot easier if all three players blow up the skiff cannons in the time it is coming in to drop position. The Taken version of that section is a lot harder, I feel.

Didn't even think of that, holy shit.

Also, above, I'm 290, not under leveled so ;p

noomi

GOOOOOOD MORNING DGAF! :D

A new week!

Feeling good, caught up to everything I wanted. Exotic sword quest is done and ready to go!

Now... time to chase fragments and get my
touch of malice!

Zocano

Void sword is most effective though.
Inside of raid killing shit with void is easier as you have a short time and need to kill things fast...so you really could use the attack it gives you and not really using it for defense all that much as it will slow you down.

There are no void Shields in the raid.

ocean

Banned
The game needed the shift from hand cannon meta.
3 were broken. They killed the entire class.

I used them exclusively, nothing else, on PvP and PvE. And as such I can totally agree that range needed cutting, ADS glitch on TLW needed fixing, Thorn DoT had to be changed to prevent 2 tap and Hawkmoon 1 shot, though rare, should never have been possible. So the range nerf and Exotic tuning was all certainly needed.

Even the mag size nerf I can sort of understand.

But the accuracy nerf killed them. You basically can't hipfire HCs at all, and even down ADS you miss crits waaaay too often. Tuning my gun to be less powerful is one thing. Tuning it to make you miss shots just makes it frustrating and less fun.

I really hope they give HCs their accuracy back because right now there's basically no reason to ever use them at any range over a Pulse, Scout (medium to long) or AR (close to medium).

I hang on to them because they're still my favorite but it's frustrating as all hell to have shots just weirdly miss.

Waldini

The game needed the shift from hand cannon meta.

... they needed to fix TLW and Thorn. Not nerf all other handcannons to shit. I can't judge Hawkmoon because that thing recently got "released" on XBONE.

Thorn's biggest problem was the DoT. TLW had a serious range (and sometimes damage) problem. If they fixed/nerfed those two everything would be fine.

Now, when I'm running around with my TLW I feel like a damn Stormstrooper. Can't aim for shit with it. I refuse to dismantle them though ... seeing as my Hunter is a class I use handcannons on the most. But seeing the recent handcannon nerf it's hard to keep up with the rest if you fire like cross-eyed Sally :(

Admodieus

Anybody know the Oryx fight and want to get it done before the reset? I have the CP but my fireteam broke up after getting him as far as 15% health. Hoping to do it tonight (EST) before the reset.

nOoblet16

Any of the TTK scout rifles have the full auto mode perk? I miss using the Vision of Confluence and my Parallax is great but the lack of auto is horrible. Wish we could reforge. :(

Yea my raid one does.
It's very powerful too, it's VoC in terms of fire rate and everything....except it looks like a piece of meat rather than an actual gun.

I never thought they could do worse than Crota gear when it came to ugliness.

Tecnniqe

Banned
You're starting fresh? Could you guys to me a huge favor? I need the checkpoint for the
first jumping puzzle (the Hive ships)
. Could you send me an invite when you're there and let me grab it?
Yo flocki, if you get the CP try and hold it for me would you, I'm driving home in an hour or so, so I should be online in 1,5 hours time. I assume you are hunting he fragment too.

ocean

Banned
Fucking sick of looking for a raid group.

It's been three days and they all say " must be 295+ and know all the fights"

What the fuck? Fucking sick of this shit
295 is a reasonable requirement for Oryx unless it's someone you trust already knows the fight. The stuff leading up to him is perfectly doable at 285+.

Don't be so angry over a game. This first weekend is understandably the most stressful. By next reset requirements will be far more relaxed. The reason why groups prefer someone who knows it and has a good level is because otherwise this thing can be ridiculous.

I played it launch with a group averaging 290 and we spent 12 hours there - and didn't get to kill Oryx until the next day.

most people are still struggling to finish the encounters and probably don't want to spend several hours wiping before the first reset. even knowing the fight it takes a while to perfect each attempt depending on the group. it should probably die down next week once people are more familiar with the encounters. of course, there will always be unnecessary elitism because people think higher numbers are always better for some arbitrary reason. not unlike year one, higher weapon attack will make a player more valueable to their team. a 295 light with crap weapons will be less effective than a 288 with solid weapons.

beaten by ocean twice. i'll delete my hand cannon post now.

"Buy" those test weapons. Those are the bounties.

The test weapons are the bounties. You collect the test weapons, and then perform the test on the weapon tooltips. When you collect sufficient data the weapon test is complete and you immediately gain reputation with the Gunsmith. Each rank of reputation you have with the Gunsmith allows you to choose one of the weapon orders he has available that week between Wednesday 2 AM PST and Sunday 2 AM PST. After Sunday the weapon orders are closed, and on the next Armsday you can turn them in to collect your selected orders.

Ahh thanks!! That makes sense.

Lost count of how many strikes I've run the past three days now and haven't budged from 293. If this game is gonna base progress on rng engrams they really need more ways to target specific slots. 60 mark legendary engrams is not enough.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Gaf, boolean gemini or jade rabbit?

Whichever feels better. Some people like the reliability of BG. Some like Jade Rabbit's ability to be extra-creative in encounters. JR can also hit like a fucking truck in PvP.

Number45

When can I expect to get some interesting bounties (by which I mean they have interesting rewards)? I'm level 25 at the moment, I assume I'll see them when I hit max level?

I'm working through the year one expansions at the moment (which is new content to me having completed the original storyline back near launch) before I move onto TTK content. On that note, can I see the cinematics for the year one expansions in the game anywhere?

maomaoIYP

Finally found a salvage game after 20 minutes of waiting. Asshole on my team refuses to shoot the opposing team. He just runs directly into them to die. He gets a legendary engram. FUCK YOU.

ocean

Banned
most people are still struggling to finish the encounters and probably don't want to spend several hours wiping before the first reset. even knowing the fight it takes a while to perfect each attempt depending on the group. it should probably die down next week once people are more familiar with the encounters. of course, there will always be unnecessary elitism because people think higher numbers are always better for some arbitrary reason. not unlike year one, higher weapon attack will make a player more valueable to their team. a 295 light with crap weapons will be less effective than a 288 with solid weapons.

beaten by ocean twice. i'll delete my hand cannon post now.
You're HC master and we're sticking to your Jewel at 2.0 release.

I'd like to know what your opinion is now that we've had a while to play 2.0 for 2 weeks. Do you agree accuracy was overkill? Or is it something else making them less fun, and not just less powerful?

Wow so this oryx fight really burnt me out of this raid. After playing for 15+ hours (half of it on daughters and half on oryx) and giving up 5 hours of my sleep (slept 2 hours) and my team still hadnt managed to down him i dont think im doing a full run of this raid anytime soon. Not even sure if im gonna kll Oryx. Im kind of done with it for a while.

Lost count of how many strikes I've run the past three days now and haven't budged from 293. If this game is gonna base progress on rng engrams they really need more ways to target specific slots. 60 mark legendary engrams is not enough.

i don't think you can get much higher than that unless you start raiding or get really lucky with a Court of Oryx drop. it's basically the 29 cap from Year One all over again.

Kyoufu

Anybody know the Oryx fight and want to get it done before the reset? I have the CP but my fireteam broke up after getting him as far as 15% health. Hoping to do it tonight (EST) before the reset.

I know the fight and want to get it done today but preferably before it becomes too late. Really need to get it done before reset or I'll be way behind.

Ambitious

I need the exact same thing, maybe I could join on you to grab it IF you get it?

Yo flocki, if you get the CP try and hold it for me would you, I'm driving home in an hour or so, so I should be online in 1,5 hours time. I assume you are hunting he fragment too.

Sure. Unfortunately, he seems to have missed my post and the PSN message I sent a while ago. They're halfway through that part now (I'm watching their stream), so it's too late to ask again. I'm just gonna wait for the next group.

You're HC master and we're sticking to your Jewel at 2.0 release.

I'd like to know what your opinion is now that we've had a while to play 2.0 for 2 weeks. Do you agree accuracy was overkill? Or is it something else making them less fun, and not just less powerful?

range nerf is fine but missing shots in their intended range makes them unreliable and the damage dropoff is too inconsistent now. they feel like shit.

TLW is still useable when you catch someone by surprise but i've lost count of how many times i've fired all 8 rounds at someone and watched them live through it. it's like the bullets are bouncing off of them.

Hmm personally the first section of the raid up to the second boss (?) is perfectly doable as a light level 288 (personally experience) Just hope you get a drop that can bump you to 290ish light level, I finished off Oryx as a 292 light level. Just having good communication and teamwork is as important as getting enough
DPS in. BTW having a good sniper is very helpful

ocean

Banned
Ikora quest line = 300 Secondary
Eris Court of Oryx line = 300 Artifact

Also, at this level you're good to Raid where you should get at the very least 1 armor piece and 1 weapon, both 300+.

Between these and random blues, you'll keep moving up but obviously more slowly now that you're so close to the ceiling

Sure. Unfortunately, he seems to have missed my post and the PSN message I sent a while ago. They're halfway through that part now (I'm watching their stream), so it's too late to ask again. I'm just gonna wait for the next group.

Thanks man. If you get it, hit me up on PM I will do the same If I find someone with the CP

Wallach

i don't think you can get much higher than that unless you start raiding or get really lucky with a Court of Oryx drop. it's basically the 29 cap from Year One all over again.

I can hit 297 so far and I haven't entered the raid yet. It'll certainly take longer, but you could hit 300 just sitting in the Vanguard playlist, at which point exotic engrams would get you over the 300 wall. You'd then get held up by your artifact, ghost, heavy weapon and boot slots, though I don't know if random exotic drops like Nightfall rewards can drop at 310 once you're over 300 like engrams.

Waldini

Is the new loot systeem active in VoG and Crota's End? I remember Bungie said the loot-system would be more rewarding and grant people the exotics (or atleast, a higher change) they were missing.

Cause if that's the case, I might give Crota an ass-wooping again. Want that Hawkmoon!

... I hate LFG. Hated it from the start. Cleared Crota a shit-ton of times. Yet, people are always looking for that "elite" player. People tend to forget to have fun. Seeing the same with King's Fall. 295+ light? For what exactly? To compensate for the guy who actually has no clue what he's doing?

DY_nasty

Finishing these Shaxx quests is such a pain. 5 elimination wins w/ randoms might as well be Kill Oryx solo.

Hardest quest in the game, that shit with randoms. You can only carry so hard.

The final part is almost as bad as the Tex Mechanica quest. Need 9 points - 3 points for a win. Lose 1 point at the start of every match. Shaxx pls.

The individual gunsmith related quests in that also kinda drive home the differences in 2.0. Handcannons just ain't what they used to be.

Ikora quest line = 300 Secondary
Eris Court of Oryx line = 300 Artifact

Also, at this level you're good to Raid where you should get at the very least 1 armor piece and 1 weapon, both 300+.

Between these and random blues, you'll keep moving up but obviously more slowly now that you're so close to the ceiling

Got both of those. That's my light level with highest light weapons equipped. Weapons more suited to the raid outs me around 291. Would like to get my armour defence values above 295 to bring me back up a few light when I equip those weapons. Or just weapons to infuse those ones a bit higher but it isn't happening.

Only managed to get to the chest after the first main section of the raid this week. Didn't get any loot unfortunately.

Zocano

I do think it's hilarious that they picked accuracy of all stats to nerf. Should've been recoil. Best way to nerf hand cannons but still keeping their archetype true is to just force you to space out your shots.

Thorn's problem was never the dot. The whole point of thorn is that dot. They should've just killed the base damage (role keeping this stacking dot).

TLW just needed to not be absurdly powerful.

But I won't be shedding a tear for hand cannons so oh well.

Pulse Rifle meta forever.

First of all, it's good to let it out. I've felt the same way in the past. I spent hours all the time trying to find a Trials group on lfg when I couldn't get one here, because they all looked at my stats and they weren't great stats. The problem was, they dont represent how I currently play. There should be a weekly or monthly Stat that would better represent it.

Anyways, what Zoba and Ocean said are huge. Reset is tomorrow so people want to get it done. And lfg is always ridiculous. You want to know how much? Just look at VoG normal. Level 26 raid. Prior to TTK but way after HoW, groups said L32+ only and some even said L34 only and must have maxed Gally, etc, for Normal freaking VoG.

So, don't take what you see on lfg to heart. So many people there have no sense of reality.

Me and other gaffers are running the raid blind for the first time this coming weekend. I believe it's full but a couple of people were iffy so if they back out, you could replace them. If you want to be an alt, let me know!

Hardest quest in the game, that shit with randoms. You can only carry so hard.

The final part is almost as bad as the Tex Mechanica quest. Need 9 points - 3 points for a win. Lose 1 point at the start of every match. Shaxx pls.

The individual gunsmith related quests in that also kinda drive home the differences in 2.0. Handcannons just ain't what they used to be.

Yeah, I looked ahead in the quest chain and those handcannon kills is not something I'm looking forward to...ugh. I want that damn launcher though.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is there a causal GAF group? I feel so left behind. Lol

Bungie did so good. Any reviews?
I'm casual af. Only scratching 300L. What do you need?
Awesome! I'm gonna be trying to get that CP even if I need to form a raid group to do it lol.

TheGentleman

Neo Member
Thanks for the invite. It was way easier with three defenders lol

Reward screen was meh. Super jealous of your Zhalo Supercell.

no problem, and thanks for the help with the nightfall, Definitely agree with you about having 3 people on the team ^^

weren't the best rewards and thanks it's a great gun, I'm sure you'll get one soon!

Why would you need to? Isn't Nightfall 280? And doesn't the raid drop 300+ stuff before the hardest encounter?

DY_nasty

Also, I'm really, really, really fucking happy that Re-rolling is essentially out of the game.

I'm casual af. Only scratching 300L. What do you need?

Awesome! I'm gonna be trying to get that CP even if I need to form a raid group to do it lol.

Tecnnige, let me know if you get a CP, I will PM you if I get one. I do have a friend with a CP for
Gorgoroth
battle...he will be online later but then we have to kill that asshole

I have 44 of 50 Fragments arghhh One more.

Top Bottom