• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

noomi

Just imagine - six guardians with touch of malice in aura bubble dishing out on oryx with the final bullet perk. This might be good .

I just saw that video on reddit! I'll be focusing on getting in this week, just need to farm the fragments!

Admodieus

Mainly because they had a pretty large choke effect on the entire primary category in PvE. Once we had access to the elemental primaries in VoG, almost nobody used anything but those weapons, which in turn took a dump on the entire exotic spread in that slot for PvE activities.

Morever, they simply aren't needed. Weapons in hard mode are going to roll with naturally higher Attack values than anything in the game, so they already will have an advantage in that category. On top of that, the reward for being able to acquire them from completing hard mode will be that you can in turn bring up any of the other weapons in your collection to their level if you don't want to use the ones you received. If they roll with elemental, this goes out the window since what you'd be infusing them into won't have the elemental.

The weapon slot works better without them, especially with the infusion system in place. I'd rather see the entire current weapon spread retain viability in both sides of the game instead of just PvP. The only one we've seen so far is an exotic, which isn't as bad because it has a higher opportunity cost to access. If you could get an arc primary in that slot without needing to occupy your exotic weapon, it becomes much less valuable. I'm hoping that is a sign they are moving in that direction.

Yeah, Zhalo's Supercell is currently shining because it's a primary with arc damage. Makes it a little more special

You mean Pulse Rifles? Because thats all I see at the moment. Sure, there's an occasional Auto-Rifle user but they mostly switch back to, lets say, the Messenger of Red Death.

Only thing I don't see a ton of anymore are handcannons, but I see lots of AR's, pulses and scouts. I'll take that over nothing but handcannons.

Waldini

Thorn and TLW pretty much ruined PvP for the majority of players. Although they shouldn't had to be nerfed this hard. Shame really. O well!

Here's hoping Xur is going to sell a Legacy Primary Engram. Seeing as Hawkmoon is the only primary Exotic I'm missing.

Or is the new drop/reward system Bungie talked about active on VoG and Crota also?

Tovarisc

Anyone have CP
before 1st boss, maybe around 1st jumping puzzle in King's Fall? Would love to grab that 1st chest and fragment with few guys,

Cronen

Would anyone from DestinyGAF be interested in doing the Vault of Glass this week? I am level 32 on Vanilla Destiny and would like to get it done prior to buying the expansions!

So I'll be farming CoO for the 3 Calcified Fragmenst I'm missing from Tier 2. Have 5 Antiquated Runes, 1 fully charged and 4 that needs to be charged by 12 Tier 2 CoOs. Have enough Stolen Runes to charge 1.

For anyone in need of doing a Tier 3 for Eris's quest, send me a friend request. PSN is namikaze1. I'll be doing them in 3 hours.

One last thing before I head off. Once you complete the Tier 3 requirement, would you kindly leave the fireteam so that I could help others who needs to complete a Tier 3. I'm not just gonna be farming for the fragments. I'll also be helping folks who need to do the CoO quest.

Your a kind man Nami, if you need any help I be here 297 light so maybe the boss will go down quickly. I have a charged T3 rune if you run out of em.

Wow so this oryx fight really burnt me out of this raid. After playing for 15+ hours (half of it on daughters and half on oryx) and giving up 5 hours of my sleep (slept 2 hours) and my team still hadnt managed to down him i dont think im doing a full run of this raid anytime soon. Not even sure if im gonna kll Oryx. Im kind of done with it for a while.

This is why I'm taking it slow. No need to kill
Oryx
on the first week. I'm already happy we managed to take down
the Warpriest

ocean

Banned
Mainly because they had a pretty large choke effect on the entire primary category in PvE. Once we had access to the elemental primaries in VoG, almost nobody used anything but those weapons, which in turn took a dump on the entire exotic spread in that slot for PvE activities.

Morever, they simply aren't needed. Weapons in hard mode are going to roll with naturally higher Attack values than anything in the game, so they already will have an advantage in that category. On top of that, the reward for being able to acquire them from completing hard mode will be that you can in turn bring up any of the other weapons in your collection to their level if you don't want to use the ones you received. If they roll with elemental, this goes out the window since what you'd be infusing them into won't have the elemental.

The weapon slot works better without them, especially with the infusion system in place. I'd rather see the entire current weapon spread retain viability in both sides of the game instead of just PvP. The only one we've seen so far is an exotic, which isn't as bad because it has a higher opportunity cost to access. If you could get an arc primary in that slot without needing to occupy your exotic weapon, it becomes much less valuable. I'm hoping that is a sign they are moving in that direction.
I'm pretty sure 310 is the cap, and normal mode King's Fall (as well as any Exotic Engram decrypted once you're 300+) already hits that ceiling. It'll almost certainly be the same guns with the same attack level on Heroic.

I'm surprised to see you think they made that big a difference. People kept saying Kinetic primaries were useless but for the life of me I've never understood why.

In Vault of Glass the *only* shields are Void Minotaurs, and most people used FB/VoC anyways. Element played no part in this decision; they'd have been 100% identical in performance as kinetics. Likewise in Crota's End there's zero shields other than some ignorable Wizards which you use supers/special/heavy on anyways.

I think the only moment where an element made any sort of discernible impact was Nightfalls. These are 3x a week, and now the burn is only 2x damage instead of 3x so the penalty for not using a proper element primary is even lower. But even then, having something be buffed during a super limited instance doesn't seem game breaking.

Fatebringer was what it was because it was a 13 round mid impact Hand Cannon with Outlaw and Firefly. Vision of Confluence was a high mag, high stability, long range, full-auto mid impact Scout. Until HoW, no other Scout had full auto; until TTK, no other HC had Firefly.

These guns were as popular as they were by virtue of being ideal archetypes with basically perfect perk rolls. The element was just a bonus.

Before the HC murder of 2.0, I'd probably still think that a Outlaw+Firefly Hand Cannon at whatever the new attack cap is would be the absolute god tier primary because of how crazy Firefly is on a HC - the AOE from a HC is enough to actually kill nearby trash mobs. Scouts don't hit hard enough for the Firefly damage to do this kind of damage.

People just got extremely used to these weapons during launch, and since they were basically perfect rolls nothing that came after really took their place. With HoW re rolling you could "make" your own VoC but it'd probably have less ammo and like why the hell bother if you already had the real thing?

Elemental primaries just don't seem too significant either way, but I think they're a cool reward for endgame activities which should stay.

Namikaze1

Anyone who needs the two fragments from the
phallic jumping puzzle
join on me. I'm AFK. Eating breakfast and getting ready for a class.

Trickster

Check out Zoba's video of our fight last night :) might not explain that much but you can see the idea. And once someone does explain it (too lazy to type that much as of now), it will be less wipefully...hopefully :) Good luck!

ehhhh yes to the higher light level the greater the dmg and defense..not sure about the second part.

edit: doing the daily, feel free to jump in.

Watching that video has made me realize several things

Firstly, the fight seems much more chaotic and crazy when there's actually a decent level of ingame sounds. I turn my ingame sound so low when in a party chat so I can make sure to hear what people are saying, to the point that I can practically not really hear the ingame sound.

Secondly, holy shit the fight is long lol. We were on him for hours before killing him, and the entire time I felt like he was around 6-7 minutes. Crazy that it's a 10+ minute fight

gz on the kill though, your elation at the end was about the same as ours :p

Anyone who needs the two fragments from the
phallic jumping puzzle
join on me. I'm AFK. Eating breakfast and getting ready for a class.

Thanks man, joining now. Finally 45 Fragments!

Dude you know how I can get that CP? I joined, died but still I am respawned at
Oryx
the next time I go in.

This is why I'm taking it slow. No need to kill
Oryx
on the first week. I'm already happy we managed to take down
the Warpriest

I managed to
get kills on all the bosses except Oryx and I'm not bothering with that for a bit. I'm raided out for a while. I spent way too much time in the raid this weekend and don't want to sink anymore into it atm. I need to do other quests and let people get competent at kill Oryx so I can get a carry lol.

Frostburn

So I'll be farming CoO for the 3 Calcified Fragmenst I'm missing from Tier 2. Have 5 Antiquated Runes, 1 fully charged and 4 that needs to be charged by 12 Tier 2 CoOs. Have enough Stolen Runes to charge 1.

For anyone in need of doing a Tier 3 for Eris's quest, send me a friend request. PSN is namikaze1. I'll be doing them in 3 hours.

One last thing before I head off. Once you complete the Tier 3 requirement, would you kindly leave the fireteam so that I could help others who needs to complete a Tier 3. I'm not just gonna be farming for the fragments. I'll also be helping folks who need to do the CoO quest.
Please include me for a spot, need to get a Tier 3 done for the quest line. Will stick around to help for any others if possible (outside of fire team but I know it's tough to get into the same patrol)

Namikaze1

I also have the CP for the fragment in
Golgoroth's Maze
if anyone needs it. It's on my other characters. I'll have to pass it along to someone else since I got just 10 minutes before I have to leave.

ocean

Banned
Would anyone from DestinyGAF be interested in doing the Vault of Glass this week? I am level 32 on Vanilla Destiny and would like to get it done prior to buying the expansions!
We all love VoG and still did it regularly until last week. It's gonna be a little hard to find groups for it in the next few weeks because most people are either doing the new Raid, getting ready to do the new raid, or completing the 10 billion quests TTK drops

Jinjo

Also, I'm really, really, really fucking happy that Re-rolling is essentially out of the game.

Yeah, rerolling was broken as fuck. And it made it completely made the search for better legendaries irrelevant. As once you have found your weapon of choice you could roll it into its own god-mode.

First curse seems to be a gunsmith related extoic-quest.

http://www.destinygamewiki.com/wiki/Imprecation

edit: oh fuck, top of the page: Stormcaller masterrace represent!
DKlXxzM.gif

The exotic quests all seem pretty fun and rewarding
aside from maybe Chaperone

Also, you're just as much top of the page as Stormcaller is the masterrace.

Answer: not really lol.

100ppp Nightstalker Masterrace

Played a bunch of Destiny over the weekend and man, Shield Brothers is such a cool and fun fight IMO. The strikes this time around are vastly improved but Shield Brothers and Darkblade are the GOAT.

Namikaze1

anyone figured out what the agonarch rune does yet?
I just finished charging mine. You take it to one of this chests that look like the Wormsinger rune chest. It starts an event where you fight a whole bunch of Taken. After killing the Ultra Taken, a chest spawns where the ultra spawns. You open it by inserting your fully charged Agonarch Rune. You get a calcified fragment, a smoldering shard, and engrams.

I just finished charging mine. You take it to one of this chests that look like the Wormsinger rune chest. It starts an event where you fight a whole bunch of Taken. After killing the Ultra Taken, a chest spawns where the ultra spawns. You open it by inserting your fully charged Agonarch Rune. You get a calcified fragment, a smoldering shard, and engrams.

Nice its in the underground area right?, close to the asylum

Namikaze1

Yeah that's the one I need. Let me know when I can join.
So yeah, I don't have it. I uh never unlocked the Dreadnaught on them...

Yeah.

Fuck.

I went to load in and forgot I haven't progress at all with the story on them. Need to have unlocked the Dreadnaught to actually load in the raid.. -__-

Raybunny

Lmfao Rumble as the Daily PvP mode has lured in the very worst players of the world to join for their Legendary Marks

Got 25 sword kills
In 2 games
With no heavy ammo (so it took 2 super slow hits)

Still won both games

If you need sword bounty this is your day :p

Oh man I hope so. I want to finish that quest chain before tomorrow to be ready for the reset Wednesday. Btw I took a look at the Fragments and one will only be attainable only tomorrow with the argonash rune (if yours got at least 1 charge out of 7).

Top Bottom