• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Wallach

Also, I'm really, really, really fucking happy that Re-rolling is essentially out of the game.

Me too. I feel like the loot system in general is in much better shape from what we can see so far. I hope they don't re-introduce primaries with elemental damage in hard mode King's Fall.

Zocano

Me too. I feel like the loot system in general is in much better shape from what we can see so far. I hope they don't re-introduce primaries with elemental damage in hard mode King's Fall.

I would bet my entire vault collection that elemental primaries are in hard mode.

Wow, I wasn't aware we didn't have elemental raid primaries. Gonna make burns a lot more difficult, though really nice for weapon variety in the top tier.

Hey guys is anyone going to do
oryx
today? I have the CP but have not tried him yet since I was getting my light up (299) So I need a party that is willing to wipe so I can learn the fight.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
But that stability is so bad :(

On slower firing, single-shot weapons stability isn't that big of a deal compared to other weapon types imo

by the time your second shot comes around, anything important will have moved anyways - the recoil is manageable to a point where you can predict where your reticle is going to be next

Waldini

I do think it's hilarious that they picked accuracy of all stats to nerf. Should've been recoil. Best way to nerf hand cannons but still keeping their archetype true is to just force you to space out your shots.

Thorn's problem was never the dot. The whole point of thorn is that dot. They should've just killed the base damage (role keeping this stacking dot).

TLW just needed to not be absurdly powerful.

But I won't be shedding a tear for hand cannons so oh well.

Pulse Rifle meta forever.

The Thorn DoT was the problem. You could shoot someone in the head twice, run away and your enemy would wither and die in a corner. 2-fricking-bullets. Sure, the range was insane. But, imo, the DoT should've been fixed. Reduce it to 3. Making the gun a 3-4 headshot kill.

The Last Word, yeah. Well. Not as awfully OP as Thorn. TLW actually required SOME skill.

Now, everyone is running around with a goddamn Pulse Rifle. So much for Bungie and weapon diversity.

noomi

Right, I need a list of all discovered Calcified Fragments. Someone post a link!

I want to do this... I will start.. tonight. Was hoping for a site similar to destiny ghost hunter, but for now I guess we can look at destinystatus.com to see what we've already found.

Ps4stability.gif

On slower firing, single-shot weapons stability isn't that big of a deal compared to other weapon types imo

by the time your second shot comes around, anything important will have moved anyways - the recoil is manageable to a point where you can predict where your reticle is going to be next

I just need to get used to it a bit more, I like weapons with a high stability and that's what I tend to use mostly. Will play around with it some more.

All the exotics from TTK seem very good though :)

DY_nasty

The Thorn DoT was the problem. You could shoot someone in the head twice, run away and your enemy would wither and die in a corner. 2-fricking-bullets. Sure, the range was insane. But, imo, the DoT should've been fixed. Reduce it to 3. Making the gun a 3-4 headshot kill.

The Last Word, yeah. Well. Not as awfully OP as Thorn. TLW actually required SOME skill.

Now, everyone is running around with a goddamn Pulse Rifle. So much for Bungie and weapon diversity.
I'd actually say that the Crucible now hasn't been this diverse since the weapon update that initially killed ARs.

Also, naw - the base damage on the Thorn being so high was the real issue. I didn't mind the DoT. That's what made the gun a unique weapon in the game. The issue was that two headshots WITH the DoT was just rolling through people. Right now, I actually love where the Thorn is at tbh. Its still a good weapon.

Zocano

I really really like how the loot system is currently. Keeps blues fun to find and legendaries are quite rare but unique.

And "smart loot" isn't stupidly generous which is good.

If they can keep their design quality consistent with TTK then this game might be incredibly well rounded by year 3.

Also they really should put out a legendary Vault of Glass Redux

Mupod

I've been using my 'real' gear in PVP because I don't give a shit about winning/losing in this dumb game and I want better drops at the end. So far I'm actually pretty impressed with the 300 fusion rifle (Long Far Gone) you get from quests. Got a few arc lightning kills with Zhalo Supercell too - never been much of an autorifle guy especially in crucible but it works. I should try out Jade Rabbit too.

I'm curious if the armor perks that say 'increased armor while using an arc/solar/void subclass' affect PVP. And if you could stack them with The Ram to be a real jerk.

Waldini

I'd actually say that the Crucible now hasn't been this diverse since the weapon update that initially killed ARs.

Also, naw - the base damage on the Thorn being so high was the real issue. I didn't mind the DoT. That's what made the gun a unique weapon in the game. The issue was that two headshots WITH the DoT was just rolling through people. Right now, I actually love where the Thorn is at tbh. Its still a good weapon.

You mean Pulse Rifles? Because thats all I see at the moment. Sure, there's an occasional Auto-Rifle user but they mostly switch back to, lets say, the Messenger of Red Death.

ocean

Banned
Lmfao Rumble as the Daily PvP mode has lured in the very worst players of the world to join for their Legendary Marks

Got 25 sword kills
In 2 games
With no heavy ammo (so it took 2 super slow hits)

Still won both games

If you need sword bounty this is your day :p

Zocano

What you're saying only applies because thorn has a high impact like most hand cannons.

Kill its impact and make it ruinous only when you stack a bunch of dots and from there you can run amok. You won't be killing quickly but it will be incredibly useful for team play.

Ambitious

I want to do this... I will start.. tonight. Was hoping for a site similar to destiny ghost hunter, but for now I guess we can look at destinystatus.com to see what we've already found.

I just need to get used to it a bit more, I like weapons with a high stability and that's what I tend to use mostly. Will play around with it some more.

All the exotics from TTK seem very good though :)

Destiny Ghost Hunter actually already supports showing Calcified Fragments. They just haven't added the descriptions of where to find them yet.

Shito

Also they really should put out a legendary Vault of Glass Redux
I would pay $20 for an updated VoG version, with takens if they want, and new Vex/taken gear to get from it.
They could throw in the same thing for CE in it as well, but I mainly want it for VoG.

Wallach

You mean Pulse Rifles? Because thats all I see at the moment. Sure, there's an occasional Auto-Rifle user but they mostly switch back to, lets say, the Messenger of Red Death.

Things are still being explored right now. I think you're going to see a lot more Scouts as time goes on. Hand Cannons are really the only primary that have been moved away from, which is natural as that category never had a lot of presence in the legendary weapon context, so the nerfs that hit the exotics that occupied the majority had a large effect.

DY_nasty

I've been using my 'real' gear in PVP because I don't give a shit about winning/losing in this dumb game and I want better drops at the end. So far I'm actually pretty impressed with the 300 fusion rifle (Long Far Gone) you get from quests. Got a few arc lightning kills with Zhalo Supercell too - never been much of an autorifle guy especially in crucible but it works. I should try out Jade Rabbit too.

I'm curious if the armor perks that say 'increased armor while using an arc/solar/void subclass' affect PVP. And if you could stack them with The Ram to be a real jerk.

The Long Far Gone is a REALLY good FR because with the right perks, it can have fully maxed stability. The range isn't the best in the world, but with generally solid stability (which it has at base level) you can reliably put people down outside of shotgun range with ease.

noomi

Has anyone figured out how to get these exotics:

First Curse & Sleeper Stimulant

Perfect.
Not sure I can get all today :/ I only have maybe 17-20?
Need to do Warpriest again, too.

I'll probably do these over the course of a few days, is this one of those exotics that you have to wait a week to get?

Bradach

Also, I'm really, really, really fucking happy that Re-rolling is essentially out of the game.

Me too. I like that you get whatever drops, end of story.
I think the HoW weapons were of less value because you could keep re-rolling until you got what you wanted. The weapons that dropped never felt special because they could just be changed.

ocean

Banned
That's a strange (and extremely unlikely) thing to hope for. Why do you feel this way?

DY_nasty

I really disagree. Because of how strict range drop offs are, there really isn't a one-size fits all weapon for every map in PvP anymore. The higher impact pulse rifles are lovely when allowed breathing room - but they excel in a nice area (which allows a good player a ton of options if we're going to go further but meh) between AR/HC/FR/General Fuckery range and SR/EZmodesnipe ranges.

There's generally more personal preference in Crucible than there probably ever was right now. If you've been getting ate up by PRs, its STILL better than being ate up by the exact kind of top to bottom class and weapon build that summed up the end of Year 1 PvP.

Nuszka

Just imagine - six guardians with touch of malice in aura bubble dishing out on oryx with the final bullet perk. This might be good .

Namikaze1

So I'll be farming CoO for the 3 Calcified Fragmenst I'm missing from Tier 2. Have 5 Antiquated Runes, 1 fully charged and 4 that needs to be charged by 12 Tier 2 CoOs. Have enough Stolen Runes to charge 1.

For anyone in need of doing a Tier 3 for Eris's quest, send me a friend request. PSN is namikaze1. I'll be doing them in 3 hours.

One last thing before I head off. Once you complete the Tier 3 requirement, would you kindly leave the fireteam so that I could help others who needs to complete a Tier 3. I'm not just gonna be farming for the fragments. I'll also be helping folks who need to do the CoO quest.

ocean

Banned
you mvps are still too slow killing us.

we haven't got all day, jesus.
I'm not sure what this means, but I'm no mvp:p the point is I'm eeeeeeextra average and still managed to do this so most anyone can. I think before today I had like 4 rumble wins in total

Get your swords guys :)

420bits

Has anyone figured out how to get these exotics:

First Curse & Sleeper Stimulant

I'll probably do these over the course of a few days, is this one of those exotics that you have to wait a week to get?

First curse seems to be a gunsmith related extoic-quest.

http://www.destinygamewiki.com/wiki/Imprecation

edit: oh fuck, top of the page: Stormcaller masterrace represent!
DKlXxzM.gif

DY_nasty

btw, ace of spades is the new fatebringer confirmed lol

i literally ran out of ammo without a reload during a strike at one point today. so gud /swoon
Things are still being explored right now. I think you're going to see a lot more Scouts as time goes on. Hand Cannons are really the only primary that have been moved away from, which is natural as that category never had a lot of presence in the legendary weapon context, so the nerfs that hit the exotics that occupied the majority had a large effect.

I still believe that the whole weapon class took a hit for what those three exotics did.

You can still have a good handcannon but its got to be the perfect combination of perks to succeed. No other weapon class really suffers from that. At least not a primary.

I'm not sure what this means, but I'm no mvp:p the point is I'm eeeeeeextra average and still managed to do this so most anyone can. I think before today I had like 4 rumble wins in total

Get your swords guys :)

ha! i was more referring to pvplayers who are like all dominating on a daily and bragging and it's like "dude, you're not accomplishing anything, if anything please beat us faster so we can get our marks and go do something fun."

so it doesn't apply in this instance i guess

Hey guys is anyone going to do
oryx
today? I have the CP but have not tried him yet since I was getting my light up (299) So I need a party that is willing to wipe so I can learn the fight.

Check out Zoba's video of our fight last night :) might not explain that much but you can see the idea. And once someone does explain it (too lazy to type that much as of now), it will be less wipefully...hopefully :) Good luck!

The higher the light level the greater the damage and better loot ?
ehhhh yes to the higher light level the greater the dmg and defense..not sure about the second part.

edit: doing the daily, feel free to jump in.

Wallach

That's a strange (and extremely unlikely) thing to hope for. Why do you feel this way?

Mainly because they had a pretty large choke effect on the entire primary category in PvE. Once we had access to the elemental primaries in VoG, almost nobody used anything but those weapons, which in turn took a dump on the entire exotic spread in that slot for PvE activities.

Morever, they simply aren't needed. Weapons in hard mode are going to roll with naturally higher Attack values than anything in the game, so they already will have an advantage in that category. On top of that, the reward for being able to acquire them from completing hard mode will be that you can in turn bring up any of the other weapons in your collection to their level if you don't want to use the ones you received. If they roll with elemental, this goes out the window since what you'd be infusing them into won't have the elemental.

The weapon slot works better without them, especially with the infusion system in place. I'd rather see the entire current weapon spread retain viability in both sides of the game instead of just PvP. The only one we've seen so far is an exotic, which isn't as bad because it has a higher opportunity cost to access. If you could get an arc primary in that slot without needing to occupy your exotic weapon, it becomes much less valuable. I'm hoping that is a sign they are moving in that direction.

Top Bottom