• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Cronen

We all love VoG and still did it regularly until last week. It's gonna be a little hard to find groups for it in the next few weeks because most people are either doing the new Raid, getting ready to do the new raid, or completing the 10 billion quests TTK drops

That was my fear. I should really have tried to do it prior to TKK, but MGSV took up all of my time. Is it doable on your own? Or is it highly recommended that it's done in a group?

We all love VoG and still did it regularly until last week. It's gonna be a little hard to find groups for it in the next few weeks because most people are either doing the new Raid, getting ready to do the new raid, or completing the 10 billion quests TTK drops

Does the VoG drop anything new? I ran through it first or second week and got luck with two level 30 characters than dropped Destiny. Back now working through all the DLC story missions with the girlfriend and she wants to run VoG. Was curious if bungie did anything to make re-running the older two raids worth wile for those approaching lvl 40.

If they didn't... they realllllly should! VoG was so damn fun and the art design was epic. Id play that over and over. They really need monthly raid remixes with different drops and rewards! Have them act as weeklys do now but make them monthly and add cool new enemy placements etc. (i know i know, probably a ton of work and will never happen... but i can dream)

ocean

Banned
I don't know, I miss re rolling.

I don't play this game for the loot. I play it because I have fun in the encounters. While doing King's Fall on launch I was so excited and happy at making progress and figuring stuff out that the loot was an afterthought. I was seeing people in the thread going off in their "fuck Bungie fuck smart loot all shards" tirade and it just seemed strange to me. Like, sure I was glad about my chest piece and Primary drops but these are just the cherries on top and not the actual motivation to do this.

It sucks knowing that there's a specific Sniper or Shotgun roll I'd like to have and might literally never ever get while others do just because I didn't get lucky enough. Loot grind is, to me, something that's just in the way of the game and not the game itself.

HoW let me build arsenals with the stuff I wanted so I could forget about the loot and just enjoy playing the game with weapons that behaved exactly like I wanted them to

Will jump in if you still need help after I get this fragment stuff.

Thanks man. Would be much appreciated.

Anyone know if quests that say complete a specific strike can be completed by the strike coming up in a playlist; or does it want you to go and select that specific strike on the map for it to count?

Lnkn52

Those that completed the latest set of trophies, please send me a PM. I'll be adding white strokes around your avatar on GLord list to signify your TTK status.

noomi

A VERY BIG SHOUTOUT to all the people I've played with this weekend, you guys are all awesome!

XO, YoungGunners, Nuszka, Rubenov, MS, JustGotWicked, ReighofSparrows, Derp, Doppel.

We spent the whole weekend raiding and taking down Oryx multiple times, sooo good :D Some frustrating moments, but we pulled through each time!

You guys are what make this game so fun <3

Never change!

ocean

Banned
Oh man I hope so. I want to finish that quest chain before tomorrow to be ready for the reset Wednesday. Btw I took a look at the Fragments and one will only be attainable only tomorrow with the argonash rune (if yours got at least 1 charge out of 7).

Swap via Vault and you can finish charging it on an alt ;) no escaping this grind Ray, we get our Malice tonight.

That was my fear. I should really have tried to do it prior to TKK, but MGSV took up all of my time. Is it doable on your own? Or is it highly recommended that it's done in a group?
VoG is no longer possible to do solo because of a change they made to the Relic. Though to be fair, it was only theoretically possible before using some specific weaponry, abusing ammo glitches and playing at an extremely, top 0.001% level. It's still a group thing.

Does the VoG drop anything new? I ran through it first or second week and got luck with two level 30 characters than dropped Destiny. Back now working through all the DLC story missions with the girlfriend and she wants to run VoG. Was curious if bungie did anything to make re-running the older two raids worth wile for those approaching lvl 40.

If they didn't... they realllllly should! VoG was so damn fun and the art design was epic. Id play that over and over. They really need monthly raid remixes with different drops and rewards! Have them act as weeklys do now but make them monthly and add cool new enemy placements etc. (i know i know, probably a ton of work and will never happen... but i can dream)
No new loot but it's still amazing. I think most would agree it's either the best content in the game or second only to King's Fall - even without a loot incentive it's absolutely worth playing for fun.

So yeah, I don't have it. I uh never unlocked the Dreadnaught on them...

Yeah.

Fuck.

I went to load in and forgot I haven't progress at all with the story on them. Need to have unlocked the Dreadnaught to actually load in the raid.. -__-

Ruthless might have it. Sent him a message.

Edit: looks like he's raiding. I have to head out for work soon so I will try and get it after hopefully

Dudes I need advice. All my gear and guns are already above 280.

I have 150 marks. I dont know if I should buy a legendary gun (i like the dead orbit scout), upgrade an exotic gun (either suros or thunderlord) or gamble with the criptarch engrams.

What is the best option?

Raybunny

Swap via Vault and you can finish charging it on an alt ;) no escaping this grind Ray, we get our Malice tonight.

VoG is no longer possible to do solo because of a change they made to the Relic. Though to be fair, it was only theoretically possible before using some specific weaponry, abusing ammo glitches and playing at an extremely, top 0.001% level. It's still a group thing.

No new loot but it's still amazing. I think most would agree it's either the best content in the game or second only to King's Fall - even without a loot incentive it's absolutely worth playing for fun.

I only got 3 charges on it. That means I can get 3 charges today and will be missing one... I would love to get that malice asap but the game is tethering me on the spot.

DAYUM Ill get you Malice I will get you and... USE YOU!

I have 150 marks. I dont know if I should buy a legendary gun (i like the dead orbit scout), upgrade an exotic gun (either suros or thunderlord) or gamble with the criptarch engrams.

What is the best option?

Do strikes and use the marks to fuse higher level items.

Wallach

I'm pretty sure 310 is the cap, and normal mode King's Fall (as well as any Exotic Engram decrypted once you're 300+) already hits that ceiling. It'll almost certainly be the same guns with the same attack level on Heroic.

I'm surprised to see you think they made that big a difference. People kept saying Kinetic primaries were useless but for the life of me I've never understood why.

In Vault of Glass the *only* shields are Void Minotaurs, and most people used FB/VoC anyways. Element played no part in this decision; they'd have been 100% identical in performance as kinetics. Likewise in Crota's End there's zero shields other than some ignorable Wizards which you use supers/special/heavy on anyways.

I think the only moment where an element made any sort of discernible impact was Nightfalls. These are 3x a week, and now the burn is only 2x damage instead of 3x so the penalty for not using a proper element primary is even lower. But even then, having something be buffed during a super limited instance doesn't seem game breaking.

Fatebringer was what it was because it was a 13 round mid impact Hand Cannon with Outlaw and Firefly. Vision of Confluence was a high mag, high stability, long range, full-auto mid impact Scout. Until HoW, no other Scout had full auto; until TTK, no other HC had Firefly.

These guns were as popular as they were by virtue of being ideal archetypes with basically perfect perk rolls. The element was just a bonus.

Before the HC murder of 2.0, I'd probably still think that a Outlaw+Firefly Hand Cannon at whatever the new attack cap is would be the absolute god tier primary because of how crazy Firefly is on a HC - the AOE from a HC is enough to actually kill nearby trash mobs. Scouts don't hit hard enough for the Firefly damage to do this kind of damage.

People just got extremely used to these weapons during launch, and since they were basically perfect rolls nothing that came after really took their place. With HoW re rolling you could "make" your own VoC but it'd probably have less ammo and like why the hell bother if you already had the real thing?

Elemental primaries just don't seem too significant either way, but I think they're a cool reward for endgame activities which should stay.

I don't disagree one of the reasons the VoG primaries were so heavily favored were their overly generous static perk rolls and stat spreads. They were pretty much ideal weapons without the elements to begin with. But that is kind of why the elemental bonus isn't necessary - if I can have weapon A and weapon B with potentially the same stats and perks, and weapon B also has an elemental bonus, what reason is there for me to choose weapon A? Even if the content dictates the performance of that elemental bonus, I don't really need to make a consideration. One of them is simply superior.

What separates primary from secondary and heavy on a fundamental level is their kinetic damage. So when content introduces enemies with elemental shields, the game is inherently presenting you with an opportunity cost question. When you give a primary the ability to interject there, it should come with some additional consideration on the player's part to be able to do that.

I just think it diminishes value unnecessarily when a weapon is potentially inherently superior to another weapon in the way kinetic vs elemental damage type on a legendary primary does. Restricting this to exotic class weapons does a good job of at least making sure more meaningful choice has to be made if you want to break that rule of primary.

exYle

Me and my buddies are going to attempt King's Fall for the first time tonight. I've heard snipers are key for the encounters. I don't have Hereafter, so are there any legendary snipers I should get? Preferably from one of the Tower vendors?

Frostburn

What is the best option?
1000 yard stare is a good choice if you need a high impact sniper rifle for raiding still. (Vanguard quartermaster)

Victrix

*beard*
I can complete Touch of Malice, but I'm stuck doing work for the next several hours before I can finish the quest line :< :< :<

noomi

What is the best option?

Have you been into the raid yet? I would at least you one run before you decide what to purchase, you will get lots of engrams and loot that will probably replace anything you are able to buy from the vendors in the tower.

Waldini

GAF!

Any XBOX One player who has the VoG Exotic Chest CP? Or Ir Yut CP? I'd love to try (with three chars) to get that Hawkmoon. Seeing as this "smart" loot system is in place and VoG / Crota only drop Vanilla Exotics ATM.

Anyone able to help poor ol' me out? Thanks in advance!

ocean

Banned
I only got 3 charges on it. That means I can get 3 charges today and will be missing one... I would love to get that malice asap but the game is tethering me on the spot.

"Javi what the hell killed you?"
"Uhhh I kept shooting, wanted to land an extra shot again"

Malice will happen. That's ok bunny we'll get the rest of the fragments. And seriously go Rumble with an amo-less sword, it's hilarious.

GlamFM

Banned

What is the best option?

Do you have a good sniper? You need a good sniper.

1000 Yard Stare.

Do it.

Do strikes and use the marks to fuse higher level items.

I thought that was a good option only if you liked your current gear? I hate my current guns so i dont think thats a good idea.

1000 yard stare is a good choice if you need a high impact sniper rifle for raiding still. (Vanguard quartermaster)

I'll check it out. A sniper is important for the raid then? What burn?

Have you been into the raid yet? I would at least you one run before you decide what to purchase, you will get lots of engrams and loot that will probably replace anything you are able to buy from the vendors in the tower.

Nope. Just got raid ready yesterday. Want to give me the tour?

noomi

So apparently I have 22/45 fragments I need, not bad. Shouldn't take me very long to get the rest....

I would love to, but unfortunately I won't be able to put much time into Destiny today. After the amount of time I've spent playing this last week, I really need to catch up on stuff outside of Destiny.

Mupod

Me and my buddies are going to attempt King's Fall for the first time tonight. I've heard snipers are key for the encounters. I don't have Hereafter, so are there any legendary snipers I should get? Preferably from one of the Tower vendors?

1000 yard stare from the Vanguard is pretty good. I got a 250 version from a questline that I was basically forced to infuse up because I got drafted into a raid before I was able to get 150 marks. The quest one came with crap (random?) perks, but it does have a better scope than the Vanguard one.

It's extremely important to have a sniper rifle because unlike previous raids there's a lot of tiny weak spot shooting, enrage timers, and no Gjallarhorn to save you.

GlamFM

Banned
I thought that was a good option only if you liked your current gear? I hate my current guns so i dont think thats a good idea.

I'll check it out. A sniper is important for the raid then? What burn?

Burn does not really matter since you need it most to
DPS bosses who don´t have a shield.

Namikaze1

So apparently I have 22/45 fragments I need, not bad. Shouldn't take me very long to get the rest....
I spent 90 minutes last night collecting 20 on patrol, in Regicide, and in Sunless Cell. Another 15 minutes later on in the night for one I missed.

Just need 3 for 45. All three from CoO tier 2.

ocean

Banned
Since the Rift mode went up, highest crucible score means nothing anymore. :/
Mayhem tho. Scores in the tens of thousands. Look at my friend list leaderboard, these numbers are ridiculous:

vH54gF7.jpg

This is also the only playlist where my score is anywhere near the top among my friends :p probably because the good players didn't waste their time here.

Cronen

I've never done it before, so if you and the lady friend plan on giving VoG a go, I would be more than happy to jump in and join you both!

KxoZz

Ruthless might have it. Sent him a message.

Edit: looks like he's raiding. I have to head out for work soon so I will try and get it after hopefully

So did you get the checkpoint for the
2nd jumping puzzle?
If yes, can I have it from you later? :) Wanna get that Fragment, too.

noomi

I spent 90 minutes last night collecting 20 on patrol, in Regicide, and in Sunless Cell. Another 15 minutes later on in the night for one I missed.

Just need 3 for 45. All three from CoO tier 2.

That's not too bad, definitely seems doable in an evening... well apart from the CoO ones, I assume those are based on RNG?

Either way, I'll start plucking away tonight and spend a few days trying to gather everything.

I'm just glad I got the Chaperone, Ace of Spades, and Exotic Sword quests done, those were the tough ones.

nOoblet16

I don't know, I miss re rolling.

I don't play this game for the loot. I play it because I have fun in the encounters. While doing King's Fall on launch I was so excited and happy at making progress and figuring stuff out that the loot was an afterthought. I was seeing people in the thread going off in their "fuck Bungie fuck smart loot all shards" tirade and it just seemed strange to me. Like, sure I was glad about my chest piece and Primary drops but these are just the cherries on top and not the actual motivation to do this.

It sucks knowing that there's a specific Sniper or Shotgun roll I'd like to have and might literally never ever get while others do just because I didn't get lucky enough. Loot grind is, to me, something that's just in the way of the game and not the game itself.

HoW let me build arsenals with the stuff I wanted so I could forget about the loot and just enjoy playing the game with weapons that behaved exactly like I wanted them to

I didn't understand why people were pissed off for not getting what they want in their very first run on the very first week of a raid released with a DLC that isn't even a week old.

The fact that there were people able to beat Oryx the day it came out itself is something that was suppose to be a rarity in that not everyone would have managed that, only those who spent countless hours getting their light level up would have done that. Basically you are suppose to progress through the raid to better your gear and then defeat the boss, and if that required you to wait till next week so that you can get the loot to level up again then so be it. People who play it like mad and do everything everyday are in the minority.

Top Bottom