• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Uh... yeah. That's exactly the point. This raid requires very tight execution, which is awesome. Can't get DPS off? Get better gear or spend a round collecting ammo, it drops plentifully. I can't imagine how harder Hard is going to be, but I can't wait for it.
You've got it wrong.
Dps gates are not about the right execution. It's about level gating and requires RNG luck to level, not execution nor skill.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Anyone got a free spot on the Taken King Raid?

Looking to start a fresh raid! I don't mind if you've already seen stuff but please no spoilers for those of us who haven't!

No experience necessary, please have a mic and be 290+

Add your name to the list and repost it!

Psn:

1. crophonso
2. Tastypwnwich
3. Hale_TC
4. Zacagawea

Ophelion

Has anybody else had glitches where their quest steps have advanced without actually completing the current step? I was just starting to take out the Taken commanders on Mars, first instance I'd done it at and before I even killed the guy, it told me "Good job! Go report back to Zavala."

And I was just like, "Wait, but...oh, Ok. I guess so."

*shrug* I wasn't looking forward to doing that shit anyway.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Looking to start a fresh raid! I don't mind if you've already seen stuff but please no spoilers for those of us who haven't!

Psn:

1. crophonso
2. Tastypwnwich
3. Hale_TC
4. Zacagawea
5.Kyuubi-no-Youko
Check on all of the above. :)

Tovarisc

Uh... yeah. That's exactly the point. This raid requires very tight execution, which is awesome. Can't get DPS off? Get better gear or spend a round collecting ammo, it drops plentifully. I can't imagine how harder Hard is going to be, but I can't wait for it.

So it's not about tight execution after all, but about achieving certain peak DPS and maintaining it for X seconds. That is all about getting right item lev... I mean gear scor... I mean light level and weapon drops during raid prep. Better have that sniper rifle and LMG with high attack.

DNAbro

Has anybody else had glitches where their quest steps have advanced without actually completing the current step? I was just starting to take out the Taken commanders on Mars, first instance I'd done it at and before I even killed the guy, it told me "Good job! Go report back to Zavala."

And I was just like, "Wait, but...oh, Ok. I guess so."

*shrug* I wasn't looking forward to doing that shit anyway.

not a glitch. It was for taken commanders. Not the big guys, but the smaller ones that spawn before.

TheGentleman

Neo Member

Psn:

1. crophonso
2. Tastypwnwich
3. Hale_TC
4. Zacagawea
5. TheGentleman2014

Two more!

Added my name, light level 292. Have a mic and no experience of the raid.

You've got it wrong. Dps gates are not about the right execution. It's about level gating and requires RNG luck to level, execution, not skill.

Eh, that fight still takes skill and good execution.

If your timing is off or someone isn't firing when they're supposed to be, you're probably gonna wipe. Pop synths if you don't have ammo.

This argument is so silly. It's like you didn't realise you were actually more underleveled for the last part than any other part of the raid. Try beating the
Warpriest
at 275 or something and tell me dps wasn't the issue.

Kyne

Yea I have a ghost now, but I want to maximize what I can get with my mark. I don't want to hit 200 and just sit on marks

well then you have to look at it in terms of future investment. Are there any gear sets that you can find that have perks where you're like, "Yeah, I can see something working with this.."

If so, buy that stuff, and then just infuse it later down the line.

If you're still at a loss then just buy armor sets that include resistance to all 3 elements so you'll be ready for future burn modifiers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow I guess we started something. Shit I can't even get on until then. And at 284 I wouldn't be any help. So if you need to cut me go ahead. Was planning to do some Court of Oryx when I got on in hopes of getting a better artifact.

Though I got dat blind weapons of Light bubble so I may be good for something.
I had thought that 285ish or whatever was fine for the first couple of sections of the raid?
uh, don't the Nightfalls just drop their stuff from the bosses now?
I don't think the after mission reward screens are really "the thing" anymore.
*shrug* yeah they are? I got Crest of Alpha Lupi for Hunter on that screen

Ghazi

So it's not about tight execution after all, but about achieving certain peak DPS and maintaining it for X seconds. That is all about getting right item lev... I mean gear scor... I mean light level and weapon drops during raid prep. Better have that sniper rifle and LMG with high attack.

You've got it wrong.
Dps gates are not about the right execution. It's about level gating and requires RNG luck to level, not execution nor skill.
The RNG has been severely reduced. It is pretty easy to get to 280 then 290 with raid gear. Just keep rolling engrams until you hit the falloff point and then raid for higher gear. Even then, did you not expect them to have level gating? That's crazy! Everything leading up to DPS phases requires skill and communication.

I don't mean to come off like an ass, but that's how it is.

LTWood12

I don't mean to be a smartass, but you could probably google the answer in about 10 seconds. There are a bunch of guides out there for nearly everything. I just got it randomly, so I can't help :)

I actually did google it and couldn't find an answer lol.
Smartass.

Deku Tree

Can anyone tell me how to start the Court of Oryx quest? I've gotten just about every other quest completed.

I would like to know this as well

I actually did google it and couldn't find an answer lol.
Smartass.

Do Court of Oryx once. Then go talk to Eris and she gives you the quest. Note that nothing shows up indicating that you should go talk to Eris anywhere. And nothing shows up in the tower telling you to go and talk to Eris. But when you talk to her she gives you the quest.

WipedOut

This argument is so silly. It's like you didn't realise you were actually more underleveled for the last part than any other part of the raid. Try beating the
Warpriest
I've played that one twice and the second time we had way more DPS becuase we were all not under leveled and could put in work.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Eh, that fight still takes skill and good execution.

If your timing is off or someone isn't firing when they're supposed to be, you're probably gonna wipe. Pop synths if you don't have ammo.

Warpriest
How is the argument silly? I've seen both narratives since the raid started on Friday.
As I've said there's a big difference between enrage wipe verses doxology wipe. It's just a cheap level gate. I never said the fight doesn't take good skill or execution but the difference between it and other fights is that great execution makes up for low level. Oryx is more so a dps gate than skill
. It's a relevant topic, though I guess not if you've already beaten the raid?

Atheon even has a similar sort of mechanic. Don't have a good enough primary and aren't a Gunslinger for taking down Oracles? Good luck being #Forever29.

Klyka

Banned
How is the argument silly? I've seen both narratives since the raid started on Friday.
As I've said there's a big difference between enrage wipe verses doxology wipe. It's just a cheap level gate. I never said the fight doesn't take good skill or execution but the difference between it and other fights is that great execution makes up for low level. Oryx is more so a dps gate than skill
. It's a relevant topic, though I guess not if you've already beaten the raid?
She is saying ALL parts are dps checks,you just haven't noticed it cause you were proper level for them but not for oryx.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The problem before was that people had gjally to overcome dps gates. Leveling means even more now than it did before because those types of guns are gone from the game.

ocean

Banned
Can anyone tell me how to start the Court of Oryx quest? I've gotten just about every other quest completed.
Just do a Court of Oryx Tier 1 with whatever randoms are there. Go talk to Eris. She won't have a marker but talk to her anyways and she should have it.

Drove me nuts as well.

Dave_6

for sure. haven't even gotten the quest yet. I guess I have to go do one w/ someone else then the quest will proc right? I should be on around 8ish central. Still haven't done the nightfall either.

Yeah I had to try out Court first before I got the quest. I've done the NF but I'll be happy to help if you need it.

I will elaborate in my Raid review on what i mentioned briefly a couple days ago. I do enjoy this raid, but i wish it was as 'tailorable' as the Vault of Glass was. I've seen variation in the strategies my groups have done throughout the Raid, but I have yet to see anything like the breadth of approaches to the Conflux/Oracle/Templar or Gatekeeper stages. I like those variations because there are times when the preferences, class make up and/or skill of a specific group lend themselves better to different strategies. Like, not everyone wants to go to the center platform to DPS Atheon, and the fight would lose its replayability if it was the only way to beat him.

I don't think there should necessarily be easier "cheese" methods to do the bosses, especially if they ignore the mechanics like the original Templar fights used to. But I do think each encounter should be flexible.

Ghazi

Atheon even has a similar sort of mechanic. Don't have a good enough primary and aren't a Gunslinger for taking down Oracles? Good luck being #Forever29.

You can even bypass that, it's quite funny. As long as the relic bearer is level 30, they can take out 3/4 of the oracles solo with the relic itself, as well as dropping the relic to shoot for the others.

2real4tv

Psn:

1. crophonso
2. Tastypwnwich
3. Hale_TC
4. Zacagawea

Add Bigmanny287 no experience though lvl 290 titan

Klyka

Banned
The problem before was that people had gjally to overcome dps gates. Leveling means even more now than it did before because those types of guns are gone from the game.

I laffed.

"Must have 365 Gjallarhorn or else you can't finish this! fucking DPS checks!"

Come on man, it's just a normal MMO thing. Go grab some more light and come back later, or throw some more buffs on there like WoL or a Gunslinger with Nighthawk.

Tovarisc

She is saying ALL parts are dps checks,you just haven't noticed it cause you were proper level for them but not for oryx.

Doesn't make it more interesting or acceptable imo. Personally I feel that Oryx is most lamest duck when it comes to mechanics during the encounter, they are simpler and not as engaging as on other DPS checks. But then only 2 Oryx kills and 1 of others under my belt so opinion may change over time.

Deku Tree

I will elaborate in my Raid review on what i mentioned briefly a couple days ago. I do enjoy this raid, but i wish it was as 'tailorable' as the Vault of Glass was. I've seen variation in the strategies I did throughout, but nothing as different as the breadth of approaches to the Conflux/Oracle/Templar or Gatekeeper stages. I like those variations because there are times when the preferences, class make up and/or skill of a specific group lend themselves better to different strategies. Like, not everyone wants to go to the center platform to DPS Atheon, and the fight would lose its replayability if it was the only way to beat him.

the raid has been out for four days. and we don't know when the hard raid will come out.

people develop strategies over time. it's hard to compare tailorable strategies for year old raids to a four day old raid.

Top Bottom