• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I laffed.

"Must have 365 Gjallarhorn or else you can't finish this! fucking DPS checks!"

Come on man, it's just a normal MMO thing. Go grab some more light and come back later, or throw some more buffs on there like WoL or a Gunslinger with Nighthawk.
Yes that's exactly what I was implying. Fell free to not respond if you're gonna have a dismissive attitude.

LTWood12

I had thought that 285ish or whatever was fine for the first couple of sections of the raid?

I guess at this point you guys should get a sub for me. I just don't feel good about jumping in at 284. I want to actually be able to contribute my first time. Hate to miss running w/ such a fun crew but there are countless raid sessions in my future I'm sure.

Yeah I had to try out Court first before I got the quest. I've done the NF but I'll be happy to help if you need it.

Cool. CoO then maybe a nightfall
or raid
if we get bumped up.

GhaleonEB

So, legendary marks.

I expected the throttle on their distribution to bother me more than it does. This is probably due to where my light level is at - after this morning's inaugural romp through a couple of strikes in the Heroic playlist, I am at 260 (I did the strikes as 256). I'm saving up for that Vanguard scout rifle, and am one daily and a heroic strike away from getting it. When I do, it will be far and away the best weapon I have (which are all in the 250-ish range) and will also propel my overall light level up several notches.

Because I've been lagging behind a lot of you guys, with less time to play each day and no power leveling (wasn't going for the raid at launch, didn't bank XP for TTK's release, not farming engrams, etc.) my climb up the light level ladder has been more gradual, and so I have not been held back by not missing any of the vendor gear. Each day, I nudge upward 4-7 light levels running a mix of different kinds of activities (and with a mix of new gear and ascending my old). I think the vendor gear serves a different function than it did during year 1 - it's the tipping point for when you are getting ready for the endgame. At my point in the curve, at least, that gear looks extremely valuable, so I don't mind having to chip away at saving for them.

It might bug me more once I have three characters to support, each with their own faction, though. In that context making the daily mission an account clear, and thus only one marks drop per day, seems much more nefarious. But I need to get to that point to find out. Right now it's been fun spending the week working toward that scout rifle. That will be when I start my graduation toward endgame content.

How is the argument silly? I've seen both narratives since the raid started on Friday.
As I've said there's a big difference between enrage wipe verses doxology wipe. It's just a cheap level gate. I never said the fight doesn't take good skill or execution but the difference between it and other fights is that great execution makes up for low level. Oryx is more so a dps gate than skill
. It's a relevant topic, though I guess not if you've already beaten the raid?

Because every boss in the game has a level gate of some kind.

Every single person who beat Oryx this week would have been underleveled. No doubt in my mind.

I don't know what level everyone in your group was while doing, but if you were all sub 290, I think it's perfectly reasonable that you couldn't do it.

DNAbro

Last call to get a instant full charge on your agonarch rune. Will be getting my last bit and activating it in about 5 minutes.

Ghazi

the raid has been out for four days. and we don't know when the hard raid will come out.

people develop strategies over time. it's hard to compare tailorable strategies for year old raids to a four day old raid.

Yep, I'll looking forward to how people come up with efficient strategies. It's sounds like a group already has condensed it down (that one that beat it in 45 minutes). When the raids come out everyone is just trying to figure out what works, then comes the tweaking or discovery of new strats.

rNilla

Are there actually a lot of different strategies for VoG besides where you decide to physically position yourselves? I don't recall seeing that many in the dozens of raids I've been a part of. Maybe I'll understand better once I've tried King's Fall.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Because every boss in the game has a level gate of some kind.

Every single person who beat Oryx this week would have been underleveled. No doubt in my mind.

I don't know what level everyone in your group was while doing, but if you were all sub 290, I think it's perfectly reasonable that you couldn't do it.
No one was under 290. There's always going to be inherent gates in games like this that rely on RNG. but
unlike the other fights I feel this one leans way to much on how much damage you're able to do instead of how well you execute the plan and that's my biggest gripe. Sure all the fights have these checks but there's room to be underleveled in those because they rely moreso on how well you play instead of how lucky you are with rolls.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I will elaborate in my Raid review on what i mentioned briefly a couple days ago. I do enjoy this raid, but i wish it was as 'tailorable' as the Vault of Glass was. I've seen variation in the strategies my groups have done throughout the Raid, but I have yet to see anything like the breadth of approaches to the Conflux/Oracle/Templar or Gatekeeper stages. I like those variations because there are times when the preferences, class make up and/or skill of a specific group lend themselves better to different strategies. Like, not everyone wants to go to the center platform to DPS Atheon, and the fight would lose its replayability if it was the only way to beat him.

I don't think there should necessarily be easier "cheese" methods to do the bosses, especially if they ignore the mechanics like the original Templar fights used to. But I do think each encounter should be flexible.

It's just too soon to say that about this raid, though. When I first beat Atheon, everyone was doing just about the same strategy for every part. It wasn't until later that people developed viable alternative strategies. I will say that, as of now, I do wish there was more flexibility in how to approach the bosses, and I hope that new strategies develop.

LTWood12

Any of you +300 level guardians tried equipping Fatebringer or Gjallarhorn and seeing how they fair? I imagine at 300 your light level would drop to around 289 or so. Wondering if any of those year one guns are worth the hit to light in certain instances.

Kyne

So, legendary marks.

I expected the throttle on their distribution to bother me more than it does. This is probably due to where my light level is at - after this morning's inaugural romp through a couple of strikes in the Heroic playlist, I am at 260 (I did the strikes as 256). I'm saving up for that Vanguard scout rifle, and am one daily and a heroic strike away from getting it. When I do, it will be far and away the best weapon I have (which are all in the 250-ish range) and will also propel my overall light level up several notches.

Because I've been lagging behind a lot of you guys, with less time to play each day and no power leveling (wasn't going for the raid at launch, didn't bank XP for TTK's release, not farming engrams, etc.) my climb up the light level ladder has been more gradual, and so I have not been held back by not missing any of the vendor gear. Each day, I nudge upward 4-7 light levels running a mix of different kinds of activities (and with a mix of new gear and ascending my old). I think the vendor gear serves a different function than it did during year 1 - it's the tipping point for when you are getting ready for the endgame. At my point in the curve, at least, that gear looks extremely valuable, so I don't mind having to chip away at saving for them.

It might bug me more once I have three characters to support, each with their own faction, though. In that context making the daily mission an account clear, and thus only one marks drop per day, seems much more nefarious. But I need to get to that point to find out. Right now it's been fun spending the week working toward that scout rifle. That will be when I start my graduation toward endgame content.

and 3 and a half minutes after you get said scout rifle you'll get a blue auto rifle that has better light, being forced to use that so that you can continue to level up.

or just infuse your new scout rifle and settle with a lower overall light. The choice is yours!

Trakan

Is the
310 artifact given for completing the quest where you have to kill all the raid bosses or from the one where you get specific items from killing the raid bosses? I didn't get a chance to grab the one for simply killing them.

Ophelion

not a glitch. It was for taken commanders. Not the big guys, but the smaller ones that spawn before.

Weird. I was keeping tabs on the quest and it looked like it jumped from 0 to done with one incursion. I didn't think that many captains spawned in one incursion. But I'm fine with it obviously.

So, legendary marks.

The other thing that offsets the LM need is during all those activities you're also building up to faction packages.

Tovarisc

Is the
310 artifact given for completing the quest where you have to kill all the raid bosses or from the one where you get specific items from killing the raid bosses? I didn't get a chance to grab the one for simply killing them.

Killing for 310 artifact. Specific items is for other thing.

Deku Tree

So, legendary marks.

You should try the Court of Oryx, Ghaleon. Each event goes by fast and you seem to get a lot more engrams a lot quicker than doing the Vanguard or Heroic Strikes... As long as you get matched into an instance with other groups.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Any of you +300 level guardians tried equipping Fatebringer or Gjallarhorn and seeing how they fair? I imagine at 300 your light level would drop to around 289 or so. Wondering if any of those year one guns are worth the hit to light in certain instances.

There are handcannons with both outlaw and firefly, and even the fatebringer gun model, so you can relive your fatebringer glory days with a high light weapon!

Interestingly enough, rockets seem less useful in general than HMG in TTK.

the raid has been out for four days. and we don't know when the hard raid will come out.

people develop strategies over time. it's hard to compare tailorable strategies for year old raids to a four day old raid.

I felt the same way about Crota's End and not much changed from its release to hard mode.

People went from running lanterns to cheesing lanterns to running it again.
People went from doing bridge legit to cheesing bridge
People went from doing deathsingers one at a time to doing them simultaneously
People went from doing Crota and Ogres from the bottom room to the left side, and then to the window/throne room

The Crota fight is more interesting now than it was at first, but not much realy changed for that Raid. King's Fall is in many ways a larger Crota's End in that I don't see Bungie enabling player choice to the extent that they did in Vault of Glass. What we might see as a strategy they might see as an exploit, so I imagine that this Raid was built with less flexibility in mind. After all, most of the mechanics require at least 5 players.

We will obviously develop more efficient strategies over time, especially when hard mode comes out, just as we always have. I just don't see much changing with this Raid.

Somebody I did NF with this week got one strange coin on the rewards screen.

That's right the new NF loot table includes the possibility of getting a measly one freaking strange coin from it!

And I didn't get any legendary marks for doing my second NF. So I guess the legendary marks that you get from NF are account wide only once per week...

Add to that the fact that you get no more faction rep, and there is no NF buff... and the whole infusion system.

Sometimes you might wonder if you need to do NF 3x each week.

I thought the same thing. My first NF rewarded 5 three of coins. I first I thought the boss drops the NF loot, but only got blues form him. Nope, my reward was those damn coins. My second NF I got the same thing. If this is the extent of the NF rewards. no thank you.

I've seen people talk about the 300 relic from an Eris quest. Is the one from the quest leading into Kings Fall? You have to complete the raid for that quest right?

Or is there another quest for one also. My relic is 276 and really dragging down my light.

There is an Eris quest where you have to do CoO. 7 1st tier, 2 2nd their and 1 3rd tier. Lol I got the 3rd tier one done by just being in the right place at the right time. Completing tis quest gives you the 300 artifact

Looking to start a fresh raid! I don't mind if you've already seen stuff but please no spoilers for those of us who haven't!

No experience necessary, please have a mic and be 290+

Add your name to the list and repost it!

Psn:

1. crophonso
2. Tastypwnwich
3. Hale_TC
4. Zacagawea
Still open? 293 lock, psn name is gaf name.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
What were your levels then?
290 - 299. I can't remember and I'm at work. Like I said I don't have a problem with dps checks as that an inherent part of the game, but I do have a problem
when a oryx relies more on how much damage you do over how well you play
. I'm done complaining though. I'll continue to be disappointed with that one part of the raid and the world will go round.

LTWood12

There are handcannons with both outlaw and firefly, and even the fatebringer gun model, so you can relive your fatebringer glory days with a high light weapon!

Interestingly enough, rockets seem less useful in general than HMG in TTK.

Interesting. Maybe I should buy a Thunderlord.

What are these unique and varied strategies for VoG? I can't think of anything that stands out as making a real difference except maybe doing both Gatekeepers at the same time.

I don't really count cheese as a strategy.

they dont do any damage to high level enemies. regardless of total light level. The attack stat on the weapon still matters. I tried a ghorn on one of the taken champions and it just gave him a tickle.

290 - 299. I can't remember and I'm at work. Like I said I don't have a problem with dps checks as that an inherent part of the game, but I do have a problem
when a oryx relies more on how much damage you do over how well you play
. I'm done complaining though. I'll continue to be disappointed with that one part of the raid and the world will go round.

I don't know, if everyone is in the 295ish range then it really does come down to how well you're playing. You better have everyone firing at
oryx if you don't have weapons of light up in order to stun him.
I don't see how that isn't an execution/skill thing.

GhaleonEB

and 3 and a half minutes after you get said scout rifle you'll get a blue auto rifle that has better light, being forced to use that so that you can continue to level up.

or just infuse your new scout rifle and settle with a lower overall light. The choice is yours!
I usually choose the latter, so I can hang onto my legendary gear. At this point I still don't have all slots filled out. I love having the choice, though.

The other thing that offsets the LM need is during all those activities you're also building up to faction packages.
This is true, and has been where I got some of my best gear so far.

You should try the Court of Oryx, Ghaleon. Each event goes by fast and you seem to get a lot more engrams a lot quicker than doing the Vanguard or Heroic Strikes... As long as you get matched into an instance with other groups.
I've done several rounds, it's a lot of fun. I like that it's fast and doesn't force you to go through filler to get to the good stuff - it's just straight bosses. I only just got my first level 2 token, but I'm going to work on charging it up tonight. It's pretty cool to see a group of people working on something, swing by for a couple rounds, and then move on some gear and XP to show for it.

It's just too soon to say that about this raid, though. When I first beat Atheon, everyone was doing just about the same strategy for every part. It wasn't until later that people developed viable alternative strategies. I will say that, as of now, I do wish there was more flexibility in how to approach the bosses, and I hope that new strategies develop.

Maybe it's a bit hypocritical coming from me because there was a point where it bothered me how much we were ignoring the mechanics in the Vault of Glass in favor of cheesing it. I wouldn't want players to ignore the mechanics of a fight I spent time designing, so it isn't that.

What i'm referring to is more along the lines of the Gatekeeper phase and how a player is able to change it up, like choosing to complete one portal on their own. I don't see that kind of thing being viable in this Raid. There are places you may be able to get by with 3-4 people and others where you can have some variation in your approach
(e.g. one person grabbing the Ogre's gaze as opposed to two)
, but I don't anticipate as much variation as before.

To reference an earlier post, I would love to be wrong, because it would add so much replayability to the Raid.

j-wood

I think this was missed when i posted it last, but could someone explain to me how the gunsmith stuff works?

I'm seeing people talk about his quests and whatnot. Right now my rank with him is only rank 1. Do I need to stop doing quests and make sure i'm rank 3 with him?

Sullichin

Oh man, just noticed the FWC hand cannon. Firefly and Luck in the Chamber. think I'll be picking one of them up.
It's good!

So, legendary marks.

Gotta say I turned around pretty quick on legendary marks too. I've been playing a lot but not nearly as much as some other people here. Got enough to get the FWC handcannon, and then I got another 140 marks pretty quickly from all of the quests, dailies and dismantling legendaries. This was after using some marks to infuse weapons and armor too. I made the very foolish decision to buy a primary legendary engram from Rahool, in a last ditch effort to get Zhalo. Of course that didn't happen, and I got a terrrible vendor AR instead!
But aside from maybe buying a ghost (which I don't want to) and having marks for infusion... I think buying the engrams might be what I spend the most of my marks on. A year later and decrypting a legendary engram is still exciting to me every time.

Top Bottom