• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Deku Tree

When you have a character past around the 280 mark, being able to transfer alts guns and ghost to equip and blue stuff to infuse for a kickstart, they go much quicker than that the initial process.

You also have marks that they can use to buy legendary armor, and you can use your higher powered blue spare armor from your alts to infuse with their legendaries.

Can someone help me with the quest/mission on Mars Fear Embrace where you
finally kill that echo

God Bungie employed major cheese on some of their levels. Poison, random fire, mass mobs, mass mobs that can multiply. .

The Taken Psions feel poorly added. It doesn't seem like it is balanced at all. Psions can keep multiplying if left alone.

So, legendary marks.

I expected the throttle on their distribution to bother me more than it does. This is probably due to where my light level is at - after this morning's inaugural romp through a couple of strikes in the Heroic playlist, I am at 260 (I did the strikes as 256). I'm saving up for that Vanguard scout rifle, and am one daily and a heroic strike away from getting it. When I do, it will be far and away the best weapon I have (which are all in the 250-ish range) and will also propel my overall light level up several notches.

Because I've been lagging behind a lot of you guys, with less time to play each day and no power leveling (wasn't going for the raid at launch, didn't bank XP for TTK's release, not farming engrams, etc.) my climb up the light level ladder has been more gradual, and so I have not been held back by not missing any of the vendor gear. Each day, I nudge upward 4-7 light levels running a mix of different kinds of activities (and with a mix of new gear and ascending my old). I think the vendor gear serves a different function than it did during year 1 - it's the tipping point for when you are getting ready for the endgame. At my point in the curve, at least, that gear looks extremely valuable, so I don't mind having to chip away at saving for them.

It might bug me more once I have three characters to support, each with their own faction, though. In that context making the daily mission an account clear, and thus only one marks drop per day, seems much more nefarious. But I need to get to that point to find out. Right now it's been fun spending the week working toward that scout rifle. That will be when I start my graduation toward endgame content.

It's nice to have a source of 30 marks every day and that does indeed allow you to plan out your earnings over a period of time. That stuff is cool.

What's not cool is that I have no reason to play any of the other stuff in the game if I want to buy something from the vendor. Once you reach a certain point, nothing being dropped is of any value to you.

LTWood12

man I'm at 286. I have no idea if i'm getting any higher by that time tonight or not, I got a bunch of stuff to do before I'll get to play. I don't think I could in anywhere need good conscience kick you off this run when I'd barely be contributing any more myself. :p

I just figured we'd take it easy and get as far as we could, you know?

Nah you're not kicking me off. I think I'm just afraid of getting frustrated if I go in and feel like I'm too underleveled. I know if I go do Court of Oryx tonight I'm guaranteed to get to 289 and probably higher. So depending on how long that takes I may still want to give it a shot.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
finally kill that echo

God Bungie employed major cheese on some of their levels. Poison, random fire, mass mobs, mass mobs that can multiply. .

The Taken Psions feel poorly added. It doesn't seem like it is balanced at all. Psions can keep multiplying if left alone.
Taken Psions are both amazing and sucky at the same time.

phen0m24

So I did one NF on my Titan on Saturday (I think) and my alts are still 34.

I could run nf 2 more times on my Titan or am I misunderstanding?

Hawkian only 286?
Noob confirmed lol haha must be 295 with maxed Jade Bunneh
;)

Deku Tree

finally kill that echo

Yeah the final boss room of that mission is pretty tough to solo. Too many adds. But there is a cheese spot, if you can find it there is a back room that doesn't have any poison or fire. You can stay in there and kill the adds that come close to you and snipe the boss.

I ended up asking help from Soss after a few wipes. I unfortunately am not at home right now so I can't help you. Good luck.

• Opening the gate can be done with less than 6 people and you don't need to stand in a specific spot after initial activation (i.e. I don't need to stay near the sync plate; i just need to keep enemies away from it).
  • Confluxes can be done with less than 6 people and the player doesn't have to stand in a specific spot. There's also legion deathpit vs spirit bloom cave.
  • Oracles can be done from just about anywhere - some legitimate and some cheesy but it stands that there is variation nonetheless.
  • Templar can be done with one person on the bottom, all 6, or any variation of that, and you can choose to ignore the oracles and huddle together or get the oracles and spread out. You can also block him from teleporting.
  • The jumping puzzle and Gorgons have multiple routes and you can kill Gorgons
  • Gatekeeper can be done at least 5 different ways. I once solo'd both portals and passed the relic off to people outside because they couldn't stay alive outside when we did them the "normal way"
  • Atheon can be DPS'd in any number of ways and the portal can be cleared as a Relic holder.

And most of this can be done with one or two people. Crota's End is still being solo'd to this day and people are running out of ways to make it look impressive.

First two points. How are these strategies? Surely everything up to probably G
olgoroth
could be done with less than 6 people with enough dps?
Perhaps not the door actually, that would be a close one.

5 people standing on top and the relic holder on the bottom is a strategy, but it's cheese imo. It's a strategy that was taken up because doing it legit was too hard on HM for most groups. Same for Oracles. Maybe wait until HM KF comes out.

I'm sure everybody got lost on their first Gorgon run and probably attempted the jumping puzzle properly. Too soon to judge stuff like that.

There isn't really anything to compare in KF to the portals during Atheon, so idk what to say to that.

I'll give you Gatekeepers and the Templar, but everything else just makes it seem like you wish KF had less teamwork.

Im at 293 and feel like ive hit a wall. every engram I decypt is around the 270 mark.
is it better to run the regular vanguard or heroic for better loots or does it matter?

Deku Tree

it a quest item that shows up in your mission stuff

Im at 293 and feel like ive hit a wall. every engram I decypt is around the 270 mark.
is it better to run the regular vanguard or heroic for better loots or does it matter?

I'm there too on two characters and I'm just gonna run the raid... seems like enough. Not gonna grind strikes etc desparate for a very rare higher powered drop. I'll just skip the groups that say I need to be 295+.

Shito

I must say my view on those taken psions completely changed after getting the zhalos.
Now it's almost as if I don't let them multiply on purpose...

it a quest item that shows up in your mission stuff

I'm there too on two characters and I'm just gonna run the raid... seems like enough. Not gonna grind strikes etc desparate for a very rare higher powered drop. I'll just skip the groups that say I need to be 295+.

gonna try and run the raid this coming weekend if everyone doesnt mind a kings fall noob. I have to get in on the action. I figure by this weekend it will be on farm and strategies will be better developed. hopefully.

Daemul

Man, I am not a fan of the Raid gear at all, the only thing I have any interest in is the Sniper, but everything else is just going to end up being used for infusion it seems, except maybe the Ghost if I get a good roll on it.

rNilla

I guess at this point you guys should get a sub for me. I just don't feel good about jumping in at 284. I want to actually be able to contribute my first time. Hate to miss running w/ such a fun crew but there are countless raid sessions in my future I'm sure.

man I'm at 286. I have no idea if i'm getting any higher by that time tonight or not, I got a bunch of stuff to do before I'll get to play. I don't think I could in anywhere need good conscience kick you off this run when I'd barely be contributing any more myself. :p

I just figured we'd take it easy and get as far as we could, you know?

I think I'm a part of this? My only raid objective for the evening is to experience some of it before reset. Some casual exploring and dying a lot is expected and encouraged. Plus I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of playing with the Vita Veteran, so no excuses.

Bogeypop

Regarding
war priest. Is there a way to keep the buff from killing you
?

The one person with the buff needs to shoot adds to refresh the buff timer, but wait until the last few seconds to refresh the buff time since you can only do this up to 5 times to prolong it as long as possible for maximum DPS.

LTWood12

I think I'm a part of this? My only raid objective for the evening is to experience some of it before reset. Some casual exploring and dying a lot is expected and encouraged. Plus I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of playing with the Vita Veteran, so no excuses.

Aw you guys...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Shoot adds to refresh the buff timer, but wait until the last few seconds to refresh the buff time since can only do this up to 5 times to prolong it as long as possible for maximum DPS.
Kill adds

Yes
, kill any of his adds. Killing add removes one stack from buff and resets time. To get maximum out of buff kill add very close to 00:00.
yeah I just looked it up
Holy shit
when we did the raid blind we just kept reviving each other. Do you know how much easier that makes that fight knowing this info? Lmao
The only reason I even thought to ask was because there's never
revives in the hard raid

ocean

Banned
I felt the same way about Crota's End and not much changed from its release to hard mode.

People went from running lanterns to cheesing lanterns to running it again.
People went from doing bridge legit to cheesing bridge
People went from doing deathsingers one at a time to doing them simultaneously
People went from doing Crota and Ogres from the bottom room to the left side, and then to the window/throne room

The Crota fight is more interesting now than it was at first, but not much realy changed for that Raid. King's Fall is in many ways a larger Crota's End in that I don't see Bungie enabling player choice to the extent that they did in Vault of Glass. What we might see as a strategy they might see as an exploit, so I imagine that this Raid was built with less flexibility in mind. After all, most of the mechanics require at least 5 players.

We will obviously develop more efficient strategies over time, especially when hard mode comes out, just as we always have. I just don't see much changing with this Raid.
VoG Conflux is done in pretty much one way (2 mid 2 left 2 right)

Templar we can group up and cleanse or spread out and kill Oracles or cheese from above but I wouldn't count cheese as a strat and the flexibility in viable strats stems more from being over powered enough to easily survive. It used to be so hard he was either cheesed off with grenades, Ice Breakered from above, or ran hyper tensely from below with little margin for error.

Gatekeepers is super flexible in that you pick who goes where, in which order, and with how much support. Again though, many of these possibilities arises only when we became perfectly geared. There were no solo Gayes before max Gjally et al.

And with Atheon your choices are basically go middle and DPS or stay around the sides and rocket.

A common thread along this is how many strats only come up and are viable after the content is old and our gear perfect.

The Crota balcony is a great example of a legit, valid strat which took ages to crop up. Before Heroic came out everyone perched on left stairs, you needed a designated boomer snipers, you had to struggle shortly to get a clean shot at Swordbearer etc.

People then started using the entrance - then Bungie put in an invulnerable beast in there with no function other than keeping us out if the room.

Top mid balcony: always a clear shot at Swordbearee the instant he spawns. Always eyes on Crota. Completely safe from boomers so more hands available to DPS. The fight instantly became 10x easier.

I'm sure similar strat developments will come for KF. You might think left stairs vs mid balcony was a small change but it altered the encounter fundamentally. Specially once we started using distraction bubbles. The encounter slowly evolved into its optimal strategy through sheer trial and error of thousands.

VoG and CE both have a ton of theoretical leeway, mainly because of how strong we are, but 9/10 groups (conservatively) will run the exact same strats and roles and positions.

Given time, we will have more margin of error on KF. This will open up new possibilities since you won't need everyone's combined DPS so strictly. New roles will turn up just because you'll be able to spare a guy or two for ad cleanup or whatever. But, like every Strike and Raid and Arena: no matter how much flexibility our power affords us, teams will overwhelmingly go for tried and tested, reliable optimal strats the minute they're found.

VoG didn't change that much beyond just getting easier, and neither have/will the other Raids I think.

Regarding
war priest. Is there a way to keep the buff from killing you
?

Yes, you have a buff x5 that lasts for 10 seconds. Every time you kill something you lose a buff and it goes back to 10 seconds. Keep doing this at the last second possible for optimal dps until you lose all your buffs. You won't die then.

Top Bottom