• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Hi guys, hoping back in after breaking after Crota. So haven't ever done and HoW content what so ever.. Just logged in and realized.. Phhew, not sure where / what to do. Have 3 lvl 32s. What's my best course of action??

Lvl first, strikes? Bleh, sorta daunting. Should I assend a few of my old stuff to max dmg for year 1 (what is that BTW?) If anyone could point me or be so kind to just give me a 10,000 ft roadmap on the best use of my time, I'd appreciate it. Haven't done any of the class quests either, those now or wait?

So I'm only done with the first boss, so I can't comment on it too heavily, but I want to highlight how great of a fight Skolas (post-patch) was.

There was no DPS check, and there were no self-wipes. I ran the first boss of King's Fall last night and if we screwed up the first damage phase, we'd wipe. There was never a time in Skolas where we'd say "screw it. let's wipe". If someone died, you could rescue it, but only by the skin of your teeth. There was a chance to recover from any screw up. It was only a chance, and everyone had to be at the top of their game, but you never felt like you'd better off wiping. Gatekeepers is like that too. Someone goes down unexpectedly, you have to adjust your strategy and adapt. I've done the Confluxes of the Gatekeepers mostly solo and hot damn that was exhilarating. On that first boss in King's Fall, if you have one fireteam member down, you're not going to clear the DPS bar.

I really want more of that adaptation, not necessarily in strategy, but in handling screw-ups. An encounter that only works flawless is very frustrating. Especially if there are glitches (like disappearing sword). The feeling of everything going wrong and rescuing it is, is way better than standing on the right plates and having ATK values high enough to clear a gate.

This is exactly my point. I do not think flawless DPS checks is a good way to design a Raid encounter. By all means, make the encounter difficult, but when it relies on precision to the extent that missing a sniper rifle bullet wipes the team, I cant help but start crossing off a list of people I wouldn't be able to attempt the Raid with.

Perhaps that makes me selfish, and that is not to say that I am some PvE guru or a god at this game. (In fact, when it comes to Raids i'm rarely the brains of the outfit.) But it bothers me because I don't want to tell my friends that I don't want to play with them. It is frustrating to me to be unable to say "Hey, I can handle this." A Raid is indeed more rewarding to me when you can work around your team and recover from mistakes to pull through. It is not fun when you cannot complete it because one person is having a having a hard time.

I know what it feels like to be dropped from a group for not being able to perform as expected, so I do not want to see content in this game designed like that, which I fear King's Fall will be.

LTWood12

Thank you! :D

Next question, where does one acquire these mystical runes? I can't even remember where my Stolen one came from. I'm pretty sure I got multiple reciprocal runs from Hadium Flake chests.

I've got 7 reciprocal runes. I'm pretty sure higher tier runes have a chance to drop from doing CoO. So by doing tier 1 someone will get a tier 2. then do tier 2 and someone gets tier 3.

spyder_ur

Next question, where does one acquire these mystical runes? I can't even remember where my Stolen one came from. I'm pretty sure I got multiple reciprocal runs from Hadium Flake chests.

According to the above you don't even need to have been in the fireteam that started it, let alone be the one with the rune, for quest purposes.

I think I got lucky with a couple antiquated runes dropping, including one from the court, but one source I haven't heard discussed here is ranking up Eris. I got a boatload of runes, including a tier 3, from a rank up.

According to the above you don't even need to have been in the fireteam that started it, let alone be the one with the rune, for quest purposes.

You definitely don't have to be in the fireteam. The way I finished mine was we were doing CoO and another group asked us to help clear tier 3 and we partied up and did it - got lucky. It was pretty fun.

Shito

It wouldn't be the best content if they dumbed it down.
I don't know, in a sense I agree, but it's also a bit dangerous design wise.
Once again, I'd rather have more forgiving content for the masses, with options for the better teams to get better rewards by achieving harder goals in the encounters.
Make it more flexible.

So do you have to be the one who deposits the rune for it to count toward finishing the quest, or does participation count across the board?
Nope, only has to help. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think I got lucky with a couple antiquated runes dropping, including one from the court, but one source I haven't heard discussed here is ranking up Eris. I got a boatload of runes, including a tier 3, from a rank up.
Worddd and you can do that by killing Crota now!

Some of this stuff is really pretty well thought-out.

rNilla

So do you have to be the one who deposits the rune for it to count toward finishing the quest, or does participation count across the board?

Nope, you just have to participate before the round ends as far as I've seen.

I don't know actually! I've had some drop from playing Court and don't remember the rest. Here's what the internet says:

Reciprocal Rune can be acquired from opening chests on Dreadnaught and completing Quests.
Stolen Rune can acquired from completing Tier 1 Court of Oryx events, chests in Dreadnaught.
Antiquated Rune can be acquired from Tier 2 Court of Oryx, Weekly Nightfall Strikes, Crota's Bane Reputation Packages of Rank 5 and higher, The Old Hunger quest reward.

The only reason these bosses need to be done perfectly is, because of dps.

Once we all start hitting 300. Bosses are gonna fly by in normal. Allowing for more breathing room. Have no idea about HM tho.

Not sure why people think raids will scare off people. Hardly anyone besides the more hardcore does them anyway. And Destiny has already proven to be cash cow. This DLC sold more then any other in PS history.

Ozone

At what light level do you guys think it is safe to start doing Court of Oryx? I haven't looked into it yet, but it seems like that's the way to go if I want to get high enough to start doing the new raid.

nOoblet16

The problem before was that people had gjally to overcome dps gates. Leveling means even more now than it did before because those types of guns are gone from the game.

And people have snipers now.
I do not see what is RNG about DPSing a boss, has a specific amount of damage that needs to be reached, you get there any way you can WoL, supers etc what is RNG about it?

We had an average of 294 with Oryx and didn't have an issue with DPS because of WoL. It was never an issue for us ever..throughout the entire fight.

LiK

Once we all start hitting 300. Bosses are gonna fly by in normal. Allowing for more breathing room. Have no idea about HM tho.

HM will probably make you fight the same bosses 4 times each :p

LTWood12

I don't know actually! I've had some drop from playing Court and don't remember the rest. Here's what the internet says:

Awesome. Well me and Dave will be rocking the court if Hawk wants to join us. Wish we could figure out some IP tomfoolery to get six of us in there.

Trying to finish this kill taken champions quest if anyone on Xbox one has to do it too or can help my buddy and I finish it up. Live name same as gaf

rNilla

At what light level do you guys think it is safe to start doing Court of Oryx? I haven't looked into it yet, but it seems like that's the way to go if I want to get high enough to start doing the new raid.

Reciprocal (Tier 1) recommends light level 190. Though the other day I was in a big group of randoms that had a Level 33 guardian who presumably got some stuff out of it. The larger the group the less your level matters though you'll die a ton if you are under-leveled.

Acidote

I've managed to solo pretty much all the heroic restorative mind strike, now I need two people to join in the final boss. Anyone?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Nightfalls, eh? Fascinating.

Also bleh on having to get to Rank 5 with Eris. I'm close to hitting 4 and was hoping that meant a shiny rune package

Not sure why people think raids will scare off people. Hardly anyone besides the more hardcore does them anyway. And Destiny has already proven to be cash cow. This DLC sold more then any other in PS history.

Well my Gatekeeper example did happen on Hard Mode. Normal mode is always going to be easy once we overlevel for it. I am referring to the Hard Mode version of King's Fall.

Ozone

Reciprocal (Tier 1) recommends light level 190. Though the other day I was in a big group of randoms that had a Level 33 guardian who presumably got some stuff out of it. The larger the group the less your level matters though you'll die a ton if you are under-leveled.
That doesn't sound too bad. I guess I should get on that this week. Thanks!

rNilla

That doesn't sound too bad. I guess I should get on that this week. Thanks!

If you manage to get a couple other people or better yet encounter a big group already playing it's a lot of fun. Goes by quickly and the engrams start to pile up!

Shito

I haven't done Nightfall yet this week. Is it even worth it?
Depends on your mileage.
Got a 297 auto rifle that I infused in my zhalos, so I was happy.
Rob, who helped me 2 man it up until the boss got 5 3oC out of it... Shit is only worth 7 strange coins...

DjRalford

If you manage to get a couple other people or better yet encounter a big group already playing it's a lot of fun. Goes by quickly and the engrams start to pile up!

I had a great group of blueberries earlier, there were 7 of us in total, tonight though I've loaded in half a dozen times and CoO is always empty.

Namikaze1

LiK, once we beat Regicide, I'll have to switch to my Titan for CoO. She got the runes.

Speaking of which, I don't like that I can't transfer over my fully charged Antiquated Runes to my Hunter and Warlock. Tried placing them in the Vault but the game wouldn't let me. It did when they weren't charged.

Kyne

HM will probably make you fight the same bosses 4 times each :p

I haven't done the raid yet, but I have seen it a few times. There are a lot of moments when I think " Man, that dude made a mistake.. he should have died."

I think hard mode is going to capitalize on those moments. For instance, during the
Golgoroth fight, people tend to get away from dying to exploding thralls. I'm thinking that hardmode will have even more spawning and someone will HAVE to be designated to killing them on point.

just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom