• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

First two points. How are these strategies? Surely everything up to probably G
olgoroth
could be done with less than 6 people with enough dps?
Perhaps not the door actually, that would be a close one.

5 people standing on top and the relic holder on the bottom is a strategy, but it's cheese imo. It's a strategy that was taken up because doing it legit was too hard on HM for most groups. Same for Oracles. Maybe wait until HM KF comes out.

I'm sure everybody got lost on their first Gorgon run and probably attempted the jumping puzzle properly. Too soon to judge stuff like that.

There isn't really anything to compare in KF to the portals during Atheon, so idk what to say to that.

I'll give you Gatekeepers and the Templar, but everything else just makes it seem like you wish KF had less teamwork.

Frankly, yes. This Raid is incredibly demanding and there is no room for me to plan a strategy to pick up the slack of players who are unable to meet that level of challenge. After two hours on Gatekeepers, I wasn't going to tell that group "Sorry, you guys can't do the fight legit and I'm out of time, so we'll need to continue this another day." No, I worked around that and pulled us through.

It is obviously more rewarding for everybody when everyone can contribute to the success of a run, but there are times when that is simply not ideal. The "right way" isn't always the "best way" for the group and that means this Raid is going to alienate a lot of people who don't have the time to get better at it. I'm not Hawkian or Drizzay - I don't have patience to wipe for 12 hours, and LFG certainly wont.

I like challenging content, but this Raid doesn't let you think outside of the box to tackle it and that bothers me. I don't want to say that I wish I could carry people because then people will be depend on me to help them coast through it. I do however this Raid had greater emphasis on an individual's contribution.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nah you're not kicking me off. I think I'm just afraid of getting frustrated if I go in and feel like I'm too underleveled. I know if I go do Court of Oryx tonight I'm guaranteed to get to 289 and probably higher. So depending on how long that takes I may still want to give it a shot.
Maybe we could push it back an hour, then? I wouldn't mind doing some Court of Oryx myself beforehand.

Frankly, I have spent barely any time there (a bit accidentally during my exploration of the Dreadnaught at first) and I don't really understand it that well yet.

Does anyone have a good primer on how CoO works to share? Or could you type up a quick paragraph about it? I have a reciprocal rune and just got a stolen rune. That's about all I know. :p
I think I'm a part of this? My only raid objective for the evening is to experience some of it before reset. Some casual exploring and dying a lot is expected and encouraged. Plus I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of playing with the Vita Veteran, so no excuses.
Yeah!

If I remember right it was LT, PuMa, you, colonel, me and Wallach. I don't think any of us are the sort to be demanding any more than that for tonight.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yes, you have a buff x5 that lasts for 10 seconds. Every time you kill something you lose a buff and it goes back to 10 seconds. Keep doing this at the last second possible for optimal dps until you lose all your buffs. You won't die then.
Yeah they answered on the last page. I'm mad we didn't figure this out.
we literally just kept dying and reviving
. That's an alternate strategy albeit the wrong one.

LTWood12

I haven't raided or really PVE'd with anyone for two nearly three months. Let's do this!
Watch me not make it.

I'll jump in the party chat tonight and we'll see where it goes. Currently planning to do the CoO quest w/ Dave, then maybe a Nightfall w/ T-44 once he's finally able to get on.

Zocano

Yup. The minimum number of people you can do this Raid with is 5.
Unless people figure out a way to cheese the platforms so that 4 people don't need to be standing on it

Basically, I don't think King's Fall will evolve like the Vault of Glass has because it was indeed built to force players to focus on the intended mechanics, leaving little room for creativity between the groups. That bothers me because there is never just one way to do a fight.

While I get what you want, your main issue derives from fewer defined roles across the group which I think has been a large flaw of both prior raids. Nearly every part gives each person a very specific role in King's Fall and I think that is a great success for their raid design.

I ran the Undying Mind strike by myself so I could kill that one asshole for the Hunger Pangs quest, gatdamn that shit was probably harder than any Nightfall Ive ever done lol. Loved it.

LTWood12

Maybe we could push it back an hour, then? I wouldn't mind doing some Court of Oryx myself beforehand.

Frankly, I have spent barely any time there (a bit accidentally during my exploration of the Dreadnaught at first) and I don't really understand it that well yet.

Does anyone have a good primer on how CoO works to share? Or could you type up a quick paragraph about it? I have a reciprocal rune and just got a stolen rune. That's about all I know. :p

Yeah!

If I remember right it was LT, PuMa, you, colonel, me and Wallach. I don't think any of us are the sort to be demanding any more than that for tonight.

Sounds good. We'll see what comes together. CoO seems pretty straightforward from what I can tell, but I've yet to try it. I just know I have to do one, go visit eris to get the quest, then do 6 more tier 1 ones to get the artifact.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sounds good. We'll see what comes together. CoO seems pretty straightforward from what I can tell, but I've yet to try it. I just know I have to do one, go visit eris to get the quest, then do 6 more tier 1 ones to get the artifact.
Whaaaat she gives out a good artifact? I have a 284 one, is it higher?

That's a pro tip for people leveling up for sure if so... they're impossible to come by in my experience

While I get what you want, your main issue derives from fewer defined roles across the group which I think has been a large flaw of both prior raids. Nearly every part gives each person a very specific role in King's Fall and I think that is a great success for their raid design.

The Raid has less "holes" than the Vault of Glass, but I do not think the Destiny playerbase is willing to unlearn a year of digging into those holes to play the game exactly the way Bungie intended (and sometimes, the way they intended doesn't always make sense). People are going to whine about it and complain about people who don't want to help and that makes the game less accessible.

Destiny GAF is a ridiculously small fraction of the Destiny player base. People who cannot or do not want to plug themselves into here and take advantage of the limited number of "noob friendly" runs will have a very difficult time playing the best content in the game.

LTWood12

That's a pro tip for people leveling up for sure if so... they're impossible to come by in my experience

It's 300! That's why I said it would get me to 289. My current one is a whopping 244!

R0ckman

Messiek sorry to you and the guys, in the middle of a move had to reschedule our internet transfer but the knuckleheads shut it off at our old place at the original date, seeing if I can get it back now.

EL CUCO

You can transfer the Agonarch rune to your other characters to charge it quicker. I really need to start working on my alts.

Shito

You also need 3 tier 2 completions and one tier 3.
The tier 3 one is the only one being hard to come by. Stumbled upon one at the very beginning, with randoms, but we failed clearing it. Haven't seen any new ones ever since. ^^

bitsurugi

Oryx is officially on farm mode. Third kill this week, smooth as a glove, went down 2nd try, we nearly dpsed him in 3 cycles.

Good job Son's of ... Mithras! :)

LTWood12

The tier 3 one is the only one being hard to come by. Stumbled upon one at the very beginning, with randoms, but we failed clearing it. Haven't seen any new ones ever since. ^^

Oh no I thought it was more like 6 tier 1 encounters equaled 1 tier 3 encounter. Boo.

i got a 300 legendary artifact from that CoO eris quest

completed it with a bunch of blueberries.. there were like 9 of us lol

spyder_ur

It's 300, so yeah big jump. You'll need to find someone with a tier 3 rune (called antiquated I think) - best I can tell they drop randomly. I've got two or three and I think they were from a CoO drop and an Eris rank up, which is a great place to get runes. You don't have to insert it to get credit on the quest. I have one if you need it at some point. You should have a full fireteam when you do tier 3 and it's helpful if there's a couple stragglers around too, but it's not too bad. CoO is fun.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm still new to Destiny but just reading up on how I'll theoretically be able to get those cooler end game items later and it's incredibly confusing.

Specific question, how do you get Petra's bounties/treasure keys?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So what is it you need in your possession to activate a tier 3?

I'm gonna be trying to get 6 people/2 fireteams for CoO later to just run it for engrams and if anyone has any of the higher level runes we can run those too. I haven't even started Eris' quest so I'll be working on that. I've got some tier 1 runes and I've pretty much neglected CoO so far and would like to spend some time there and decompress a bit from the raid.

Frankly, yes. This Raid is incredibly demanding and there is no room for me to plan a strategy to pick up the slack of players who are unable to meet that level of challenge. After two hours on Gatekeepers, I wasn't going to tell that group "Sorry, you guys can't do the fight legit and I'm out of time, so we'll need to continue this another day." No, I worked around that and pulled us through.

So I'm only done with the first boss, so I can't comment on it too heavily, but I want to highlight how great of a fight Skolas (post-patch) was.

There was no DPS check, and there were no self-wipes. I ran the first boss of King's Fall last night and if we screwed up the first damage phase, we'd wipe. There was never a time in Skolas where we'd say "screw it. let's wipe". If someone died, you could rescue it, but only by the skin of your teeth. There was a chance to recover from any screw up. It was only a chance, and everyone had to be at the top of their game, but you never felt like you'd better off wiping. Gatekeepers is like that too. Someone goes down unexpectedly, you have to adjust your strategy and adapt. I've done the Confluxes of the Gatekeepers mostly solo and hot damn that was exhilarating. On that first boss in King's Fall, if you have one fireteam member down, you're not going to clear the DPS bar.

I really want more of that adaptation, not necessarily in strategy, but in handling screw-ups. An encounter that only works flawless is very frustrating. Especially if there are glitches (like disappearing sword). The feeling of everything going wrong and rescuing it is way, way better than standing on the right plates on time and having ATK values high enough to clear a gate.

Baliis

I'm still new to Destiny but just reading up on how I'll theoretically be able to get those cooler end game items later and it's incredibly confusing.

Specific question, how do you get Petra's bounties/treasure keys?

You do Petra's quests and it will unlock the bounties, bounties give keys

rNilla

Each death will fill me with rage. I will blame everyone else for any and everything that goes wrong. You will know by the volume of my voice and the many expletives that follow. Ask Colonel, if you thought I was an ass on DGAF I'm really mean in party chat.

Serious time. It's pretty straightforward. The left statue closest to the Court is where the Reiprocal Runes (Tier 1) are deposited. Next is Stolen (Tier 2) in the middle and Antiquated (Tier 3) next to that. Antiquated runes need to be charged by completing three Tier 2 events before using. No idea about the other row of rune statues.

One player deposits a rune, the Court boots up, guardians enter and out come some enemies and a boss to defeat. The initiator must enter and approach the portal for it to actually start. Harder difficulties can throw multiple bosses your way (at the same time). Wipe out the boss and the round ends. If you have three or more people Reciprocal generally goes pretty fast. Even Stolen gets mopped up. When you finish the chest on the altar in the Court pops open and the initiator gets a guaranteed engram or engrams while the rest of the team has a random chance to get something from the chest. Sometimes you'll get nothing (as a participant who didn't place the rune) but you may also get drops from enemies, like everywhere else in the game.

I think the rounds are timed but I've yet to run into problems with that. You can join a round in progress at any point until it ends. You can even shoot a boss from outside the Court and get credit when it ends, just like Public Events, though that's a shitty thing to do if you don't intend to help. Probably a bug.

I'm no expert so someone correct all that I've misstated. I've had a lot of fun jumping in with randoms in my instance. Stolen and above seems to give a lot of loot but so does playing a few rounds on any difficulty.

Renta

Banned
I'm gonna be trying to get 6 people/2 fireteams for CoO later to just run it for engrams and if anyone has any of the higher level runes we can run those too. I haven't even started Eris' quest so I'll be working on that. I've got some tier 1 runes and I've pretty much neglected CoO so far and would like to spend some time there and decompress a bit from the raid.
You will be so happy you decided to stop neglecting it. I might be able to join you when I'm back from the dentist office. Maybe around 6pm.

Psn: Rentaline

Shito

So what is it you need in your possession to activate a tier 3?
Antiquated rune.
And you need to charge it with tier 2 clears to be able to use it.
BUT you don't need to be the one creating the event to be credited for it in the quest.
I just roam the CoO anytime I patrol on the dreadnaught, hopeful each time. ^^

The Raid has less "holes" than the Vault of Glass, but I do not think the Destiny playerbase is willing to unlearn a year of digging into those holes to play the game exactly the way Bungie intended (and sometimes, the way they intended doesn't always make sense). People are going to whine about it and complain about people who don't want to help and that makes the game less accessible.

Destiny GAF is a ridiculously small fraction of the Destiny player base. People who cannot or do not want to plug themselves into here and take advantage of the limited number of "noob friendly" runs will have a very difficult time playing the best content in the game.

It wouldn't be the best content if they dumbed it down.

LTWood12

Each death will fill me with rage. I will blame everyone else for any and everything that goes wrong. You will know by the volume of my voice and the many expletives that follow. Ask Colonel, if you thought I was an ass on DGAF I'm really mean in party chat.

Serious time. It's pretty straightforward. The left statue closest to the Court is where the Reiprocal Runes are deposited. Next is Stolen in the middle and Antiquated (?) next to that. No idea about the other row. One player deposits a rune, the Court boots up, guardians enter and out come some enemies and a boss to defeat. Harder difficulties can throw multiple bosses your way (at the same time). Wipe out the boss and the round ends. If you have three or more people Reciprocal generally goes pretty fast. Even Stolen gets mopped up. When you finish the chest on the altar in the Court pops open and the initiator gets a guaranteed engram or engrams while the rest of the team has a random chance to get something from the chest. Sometimes you'll get nothing (as a participant who didn't place the rune) but you may also get drops from enemies, like everywhere else in the game.

I think the rounds are timed but I've yet to run into problems with that. You can join a round in progress at any point until it ends. You can even shoot a boss from outside the Court and get credit when it ends, just like Public Events, though that's a shitty thing to do if you don't intend to help. Probably a bug.

I'm no expert so someone correct all that I've misstated. I've had a lot of fun jumping in with randoms in my instance. Stolen and above seems to give a lot of loot but so does playing a few rounds on any difficulty.

So do you have to be the one who deposits the rune for it to count toward finishing the quest, or does participation count across the board?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Serious time. It's pretty straightforward. The left statue closest to the Court is where the Reiprocal Runes (Tier 1) are deposited. Next is Stolen (Tier 2) in the middle and Antiquated (Tier 3) next to that. Antiquated runes need to be charged by completing three Tier 2 events before using. No idea about the other row of rune statues.

One player deposits a rune, the Court boots up, guardians enter and out come some enemies and a boss to defeat. The initiator must enter and approach the portal for it to actually start. Harder difficulties can throw multiple bosses your way (at the same time). Wipe out the boss and the round ends. If you have three or more people Reciprocal generally goes pretty fast. Even Stolen gets mopped up. When you finish the chest on the altar in the Court pops open and the initiator gets a guaranteed engram or engrams while the rest of the team has a random chance to get something from the chest. Sometimes you'll get nothing (as a participant who didn't place the rune) but you may also get drops from enemies, like everywhere else in the game.

Thank you! :D

Next question, where does one acquire these mystical runes? I can't even remember where my Stolen one came from. I'm pretty sure I got multiple reciprocal runs from Hadium Flake chests.
So do you have to be the one who deposits the rune for it to count toward finishing the quest, or does participation count across the board?
According to the above you don't even need to have been in the fireteam that started it, let alone be the one with the rune, for quest purposes.

is 290+ good enough to beat oryx?

i kinda wanna get started on my other characters that i haven't really touched yet

also I'm wondering if its better to just do strikes on my high level character and pass the gear off for infusion to my other characters

Top Bottom