• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

LukeSmith

Remind me to explain this after the weekend of Sept 18th. I'm happy to.

"Long Live the King"
Because of the nature of Raids - repeatable cyclical activity, there is (and to me, always has been since my days in Vanilla WoW) a sort of black comedy to killing an epic, once-believed immortal god and then returning the following week to kill him again hoping he drops new pants.

When I wrote the names and descriptions for the Raids, I wanted to play with this so that the text embraces the nature that the Raid is always alive and waiting to try and destroy you.

I also wanted them to all feel similar (emotionally). Ominous, mysterious, as though they were written by the same hand.

Vault of Glass
Beneath Venus, evil stirs.

Crota's End
He waits in the Dark Below.

King's Fall
Long live the King.

Avixph

Can anyone lend me a hand on the 290 shield brothers strike for the jolly holiday quest? I need two people to help me do it.

Psn: phillax

Kyoufu

"Long Live the King"
Because of the nature of Raids - repeatable cyclical activity, there is (and to me, always has been since my days in Vanilla WoW) a sort of black comedy to killing an epic, once-believed immortal god and then returning the following week to kill him again hoping he drops new pants.

When I wrote the names and descriptions for the Raids, I wanted to play with this so that the text embraces the nature that the Raid is always alive and waiting to try and destroy you.

I also wanted them to all feel similar (emotionally). Ominous, mysterious, as though they were written by the same hand.

Vault of Glass

Crota's End

King's Fall
Long live the King.

I thought it was regarding
Mara Sov's brother becoming King
. Let's go with a double meaning.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I've been watching Goth stream for a long time now, and I think he's a pretty entertaining dude. It's cool to see his channel blow up since he started with Borderlands. Broman can be a bit...excessive, but his brother's stream (teawrex) is also real chill. But yeah, I was super surprised the pulled off world's first lol.

whoa I only "discovered" Teawrex the other day but I've known Broman for a while, had no idea they were brothers. Teawrex personality-wise is definitely more my speed than Broman. Chill dude.

phen0m24

"Long Live the King"

Vault of Glass

Crota's End

King's Fall
Long live the King.

Yeah so come raid with us already

PSN ColonelOCorn

Shito

"Long Live the King"

Vault of Glass

Crota's End

King's Fall
Long live the King.
That's neat.
Love the descriptions you guys are writing for the items, I make sure to read them anytime I come across one I never had before.

traveler

Not Wario
Need to decide if I want to finish off my exotic sword quest tonight or leave it at legendary so it won't take up an exotic slot.

Did anyone ever figure out whether it'd be possible to obtain the legendary one again so we can have an exotic/leg of each element? I like the sword, but I'm not sure the special move is worth the exotic slot.

Shito

I thought it was regarding
Mara Sov's brother becoming King
. Let's go with a double meaning.
I really hope, somehow,
that she's not really dead. She's one hell of a good character, but I feel like she has been so under-used up until now...

X-Frame

How useful is the weapon perk where your gun performs better when you're the last living member of the fireteam?

I'd assume this would be decent in Trials but also for strikes and the Nightfall, likely not the raid though.

R0ckman

I wish there weren't so many factors that can wear down the fire team in this raid, even when your team grows through wipes and clearly shows amazing progress the addition of the bugs that are basically a wipe such
as teleporting ogres in Oryx battle, detonations not triggering etc
makes people slowly start leaving the party and dissolving the group. It's really frustrating.

"Long Live the King"

Vault of Glass

Crota's End

King's Fall
Long live the King.

Always awesome to here the reason behind stuff like that! I also understand why you mentioned Touch of Malice as your favorite , I really really like it!

Shito

I wish there weren't so many factors that can wear down the fire team in this raid, even when your team grows through wipes and clearly shows amazing progress the addition of the bugs that are basically a wipe such
makes people slowly start leaving the party and dissolving the group. It's really frustrating.
Sounds more like lag than real bugs.

reloading from orbit anytime something looks funny usually fixes it. there are a lot of geometry related bugs in the end of the raid.

LukeSmith

Always awesome to here the reason behind stuff like that! I also understand why you mentioned Touch of Malice as your favorite , I really really like it!

I don't want people to conflate favorite with best. I don't know that it's the best one, I think it's situationally really useful.

The weapon itself, from the art to the talents, the questline and the Book of Sorrows all conspire together (and represent a bunch of people's hard work) to create a pretty cool overall experience that hopefully represents a nice tour of some of TTK for folks

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Er, Long Live the King also
makes an enormous amount of sense in the context of the lore in the Book of Sorrows, specifically concerning what Oryx and the Hive actually desire

lt519

Still looking for two for a blind raid on PS4 at 6PM EST tomorrow (Tuesday) send me a PM or a PSN rarbusto. We have 4 and are very experienced Destiny raiders.

phen0m24

I don't want people to conflate favorite with best. I don't know that it's the best one, I think it's situationally really useful.

The weapon itself, from the art to the talents, the questline and the Book of Sorrows all conspire together to create a pretty cool overall experience that hopefully represents a nice tour of some of TTK for folks

Luke thank you for Zhalo. It's beautiful. :)

"Long Live the King"

Vault of Glass

Crota's End

King's Fall
Long live the King.

Vault of Glass
"The Descent"

Crota's End
"One Way Trip"

King's Fall
Insert Raid Theme Here

*crosses fingers for reply*

JackHerer

Are sidearms worthy of a special weapon slot? They seem kind of useless but I don't have a legendary one. They look cool but I don't want to waste marks in something I won't use. Such low impact.

The weapon itself, from the art to the talents, the questline and the Book of Sorrows all conspire together (and represent a bunch of people's hard work) to create a pretty cool overall experience that hopefully represents a nice tour of some of TTK for folks

The Book of Sorrows cards were some of the coolest lore that has come out of the grimoire so far, gave some really cool context for the Raid and the Hive as a race.

Any chance you can confirm or deny that the Exotic version of the Strangers Rifle that Gameinformer mentioned made it to the live build?

Silvard

It drops loot around the same level as you, until you hit 290 where 90% of it becomes 260 instead.

Forever 290.

Is there a difference between vanguard strikes and heroic strikes in terms of the loot chance and quality?

Well, the best one is clearly the Zhalo so no danger of making that mistake.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Need 2 more for raid! We are right at the start of the 3rd boss. We are all blind but don't mind experienced players.

Must have mic and 290+ please!

Psn crophonso

traveler

Not Wario
Whenever Hawk and co. do get around to doing the raid, I hope someone streams.

This is the first raid I've ever done in any game blind, and it ended up being one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Gotta live it again vicariously!

R0ckman

Sounds more like lag than real bugs.

I personally wasn't experiencing lag, and the guy who was assigned to that ogre basically was like ****! My ogre teleported, it's a wipe! I was on runner and it was the last ogre there was no way the ogre could have gotten to the middle of the map that fast even with lag. I usually get to the bottom before the knight ship even arrives. I saw the ogre blocking the ship dock.

About to fly out to go back home. Should I take the risk and check in my destiny TTK ps4 or carry it on the plane? Tough decision. Have faith in humanity or trust no one...

Impulsor

ORYX DOWN!!!!!
So pumped! Awesome raid team, couldn't have been better. We all endured what needed to be endured and each little bit of progress gave us new life.

SilvardCT - Hunter
Jackfu - Warlock
Warrior_of_uae - Hunter
DONorr17 - Warlock
Alex-willoz - Hunter
Borque (me) - Hunter

So much fun, so much adrenaline, soooo cool. Figuring it all out and getting the mechanics down was an incredible experience, when the last boss fell it was such a rush.

Thanks to all of you guys!

Top Bottom