• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

LTWood12

ahhhh man the raid is so great, I can't wait to get back in there

Court of Oryx is real as hell too, I went from 285 to 289 in like 20 minutes. Need to do a tier 3 for Eris' quest tho.

Good raiding last night. Very tired today.

I still need to do tier 3 as well. Maybe we can find a group tonight?

I'd be happy to help talk with Court of Oryx. I went from 284 to this last night between CoO and the Nightfall:
hPZwj6n.jpg

For me, the weekly reset is really on Wednsday

The Gunsmith is now the only trustworthy reliable Vendor in the entire game who is guaranteed to give you something for reach Lvl 2, Lvl3 and so forth.

Nightfall? pfff whatever with all the duplicates and poo

Bungie said that they will lessened duplicates, but seriously it is the same as always,

Managed to get to the 3rd boss last night with some fellow DGAFers. Not sure how I'm really feeling about the bosses. We self-wiped way more often than we failed outright. "Yeah, that's a wipe." x 30. In that regard, King's Fall isn't a successor to the Vault of Glass. This is the successor to Crota's End, specifically the
Crota fight. Crota on Hard, if you missed a sword smash, "that's a wipe." If the sword disappeared, "that's a wipe." If someone died, "that's a wipe." If someone fell off the ledge, "that's a wipe." There is 0 ability to recover. Self-wiping utterly kils the fun, but if you're trying to win, often it's the smartest strategy if something goes wrong near the beginning/ middle of the fight.

King's Fall bosses feel like that, each one more so.
Warpriest's worthiness trial is great. Just like the Sword Bridge in CE. The Warpriest does allow for recovering, but more than Golgoroth. If you have a rage taker fail, and it's not on the last phase, then you're pretty much screwed. And by far the worst is the Sisters. Someone falls off a platform, then "that's a wipe." You get killed by a ???, which happened 3x to us last night, then you're down on person, and the DPS hit is so much that you're going to be struggling not just short term, but for the rest of the fight to make up for it. Unless you're on phase 3 or 4, "that's a wipe." Have the witch turn around and thus make it impossible to crit her reliably? "That's a wipe." Most frustratingly, if you fail, then you just burned through all your special & heavy, so your next bout is going to be off. Just like Crota, waiting around for people to be able to synth up isn't fun.

A good point someone made about the need for utterly flawless execution for these boss fights is that it's a function of being undergeared. Every fire team member's DPS is crucial, so if someone isn't alive or isn't using optimal gear, it really hurts the team. The problem with this approach is that difficulty radically changes as you pass the DPS gate so much so that you often don't have to engage in the actual mechanics of the fight. Crota as a 32 was incredibly difficult and about 10 minutes. You need 6 downs and each one needed 3 smashes. You had to deal with Ogres and Gatekeepers. Crota as a 40 apparently only requires 2 downs. You don't even have to run inside anymore. Compare that to Gatekeepers or Oracles. Regardless of your level, you have to do the fight.

I'm not arguing that boss fights should be future-proof, but it highlights the different archetypes of boss-fights. Hands down, my current favorite boss fights are Gatekeepers and Skolas. Defined roles for all players, no DPS windows that have to be perfect to succeed, mechanics must be followed regardless of DPS, ability to recover and multiple methods to complete.

That's my initial impressions from my first week, of the first 3 bosses. Definitely subject to revision.

rNilla

I like this Omolon Tuonela SR4 scout that I have. It has a long range scope (Signal MS5) that highlights enemies with red similar to the effect in ODST.

lt519

BAM. 282 light.

It is a glorious thing they did making it easy to level your other classes. I did this with my Titan and Warlock and still haven't even done a Dreadnaught mission at 280. I didn't even need a focused light to hit 40 on my Warlock, although its subclass is much further behind my Titan's.

ich00

Just wanted to say thanks to these guys for joining our raid attempt alst night, and to Callandor for being our guide for the first couple parts. Good times, too bad we coundn't get
Golgoroth
. Anytime you guys want to give it a run again I'd be happy to do it with you.

I'll go

TKRunningRiot 292 Hunter

I've only gotten up to (not killed yet) the first boss, so I'd be happy to join and help out.

Sent you a message PSN: Callandor361

I'll be in. I'm currently 282, but I'll be playing all day so I should be able to hit at least 290 by that time.

Edit: I'm a Titan, and my PSN is SoullessSHOES

ocean

Banned
I'm really disappointed they've completely ignored those of us for whom the Moments of Triumph glitched out. When they released the challenge I had already completed them all except for like 4 chests, which I later discovered.

Then when the deadline hit.m, it just wiped all my Golden Chest count to 0/20 and never gave me the Emblem.

The fact that they haven't even acknowledged this formally beyond a mod on a forum saying they'd check it out is not the kind of response I'd expect for us.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
300 Rare Pulse Rifle. Infuse with my Does Not Bow for a 299 rating? Hmm. Does Not Bow is already wrecking at 293 in PVE.

Does the Spark of Light level your sub-classes?

All it does is move you to level 25 from 1. Everything else stays the same which is pretty shitty. Would've liked to start out with at least one subclass fully unlocked.

Shito

ahhhh man the raid is so great, I can't wait to get back in there

Court of Oryx is real as hell too, I went from 285 to 289 in like 20 minutes. Need to do a tier 3 for Eris' quest tho.
Indeed, just did a good session with randoms and got some infusion materials for 3 of my armor slots.
Shits is fun as hell also.
And I'm finally rank 5 with Eris.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How far did you guys get last night?
we
smash dat warpriest mayne
, and then found
Golgoroth and figured at least the basics of the fight out with the Gaze
before crashing.
Good raiding last night. Very tired today.

I still need to do tier 3 as well. Maybe we can find a group tonight?
Dat raid tired. feelin it

I'd love to do CoO before or after raiding tonight. I don't have a T3 rune though. :(

edit: Silly Colonel.

I was very surprised at how
easy it was to navigate Golgoroth's maze. I guess they wanted it to be an atmospheric set piece but not much of a challenge to avoid comparisons to Gorgons. The fight itself seems pure oldschool MMORPG raid design in an FPS, can't wait to beat him.
Indeed, just did a good session with randoms and got some infusion materials for 3 of my armor slots.
Shits is fun as hell also.
And I'm finally rank 5 with Eris.
Really is super fun. I could've kept going well after I logged to crash but it was like almost 2:30 lol

Klyka

Banned
Managed to get to the 3rd boss last night with some fellow DGAFers. Not sure how I'm really feeling about the bosses. We self-wiped way more often than we failed outright. "Yeah, that's a wipe." x 30. In that regard, King's Fall isn't a successor to the Vault of Glass. This is the successor to Crota's End, specifically the
Crota fight. Crota on Hard, if you missed a sword smash, "that's a wipe." If the sword disappeared, "that's a wipe." If someone died, "that's a wipe." If someone fell off the ledge, "that's a wipe." There is 0 ability to recover. Self-wiping utterly kils the fun, but if you're trying to win, often it's the smartest strategy if something goes wrong near the beginning/ middle of the fight.

Warpriest's worthiness trial is great. Just like the Sword Bridge in CE. The Warpriest does allow for recovering, but more than Golgoroth. If you have a rage taker fail, and it's not on the last phase, then you're pretty much screwed. And by far the worst is the Sisters. Someone falls off a platform, then "that's a wipe." You get killed by a ???, which happened 3x to us last night, then you're down on person, and the DPS hit is so much that you're going to be struggling not just short term, but for the rest of the fight to make up for it. Unless you're on phase 3 or 4, "that's a wipe." Have the witch turn around and thus make it impossible to crit her reliably? "That's a wipe." Most frustratingly, if you fail, then you just burned through all your special & heavy, so your next bout is going to be off. Just like Crota, waiting around for people to be able to synth up isn't fun.

A good point someone made about the need for utterly flawless execution for these boss fights is that it's a function of being undergeared. Every fire team member's DPS is crucial, so if someone isn't alive or isn't using optimal gear, it really hurts the team. The problem with this approach is that difficulty radically changes as you pass the DPS gate so much so that you often don't have to engage in the actual mechanics of the fight. Crota as a 32 was incredibly difficult and about 10 minutes. You need 6 downs and each one needed 3 smashes. You had to deal with Ogres and Gatekeepers. Crota as a 40 apparently only requires 2 downs. You don't even have to run inside anymore. Compare that to Gatekeepers or Oracles. Regardless of your level, you have to do the fight.

I'm not arguing that boss fights should be future-proof, but it highlights the different archetypes of boss-fights. Hands down, my current favorite boss fights are Gatekeepers and Skolas. Defined roles for all players, no DPS windows that have to be perfect to succeed, mechanics must be followed regardless of DPS, ability to recover and multiple methods to complete.

That's my initial impressions from my first week, of the first 3 bosses. Definitely subject to revision.

I just rewatched our video of killing
Oryx and I was quite surprised how many deaths we had during our kill. Sure we were always lucky it was during times where we could compensate but still.

Baliis

easy it was to navigate Golgoroth's maze. I guess they wanted it to be an atmospheric set piece but not much of a challenge to avoid comparisons to Gorgons. The fight itself seems pure oldschool MMORPG raid design in an FPS, can't wait to beat him.

Yea, I thought it was a super fun fight. Lots of movement and coordination.

neoism

What app and how?

Also only a exotic shard and a bunch of motes to get back.

Destiny |OT♦32| Taking on the Gaze

the companion app i used it to get the last word out of my vault it didnt pop up and not anywhere now... not in primary slot or vault.. the app ate it..

:(

ocean

Banned
I kind of wish the DPS windows stayed close to being this strict. Crota's End was waaaaaaay too forgiving. To the point where 4 people could literally sit down. One person rockets Crota twice, one guy swords, and they can finish the fight themselves.

As for insta-wipe moments: surprised to see they're regarded differently from VoG's. Both seem to
share the whole come in the bubble/safe place/relic motif to prevent insta wipes. Not DPSing Oryx isn't fundamentally different from wiping to too many sacrificed Vex to Confluxes or missed Oracles - your team isn't doing the damage it needs in the places it's needed in a timely fashion

King's Fall right now is a refreshing return to content where everybody has to be on the ball. You can't pick up for other's slack, and I don't think you should be able to in the absolute final endgame. Save that for a Strike or Court of Oryx.

The beauty of this type of encounter is that when it goes well, it's magical. All six people working like a well-oiled machine. Everyone doing their roles perfectly, communicating timing, changing positions and supporting or damaging at the precise moment it's needed. It's lovely.

Sure it's a little frustrating when you keep wiping. But we're still learning the fights and leveling up. I made Ji66a, Ray and a few others lose their damn patience because I was scrubbing up a role yesterday. And it was kind of embarrassing slowing the team down. But if I didn't feel ok scrubbing up with these guys I just wouldn't play with them.

The thing is, when I managed to get it right and we cleared that encounter successfully, it felt amazing - amazing in a way something easy or lax can never be.

Sadly I know KF will be easy and on farm very, very soon. Either this week or the next runs will start skipping entire DPS waves and steamrolling through encounters without wiping or having to make a big effort at playing their very best. And when this happens, the activity loses like half its appeal for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd be happy to help talk with Court of Oryx. I went from 284 to this last night between CoO and the Nightfall:
hPZwj6n.jpg
Beautiful. Did you get the 300 artifact from Eris? I'm just missing the 1 Tier 3 completion. Got any Antiquated runes to toss on the pile?

Oryx

No Golgoroth

Much fun was had.
wait you did what I did and skip to the end ;)

we
smash dat warpriest mayne
, and then found
Golgoroth and figured at least the basics of the fight out with the Gaze
before crashing.

Dat raid tired. feelin it

I'd love to do CoO before or after raiding tonight. I don't have a T3 rune though. :(

edit: Silly Colonel.

Really is super fun. I could've kept going well after I logged to crash but it was like almost 2:30 lol
Hope my hint helped :)

In a sense I agree it's you. Being forced under level and getting the correct amount of dps can be frustrating. There should be more room to wiggle around and recover if something happens. Still I think Kings fall is fun so far. I can def see how it can be a nightmare for people tho...

Dante316

Finally got the hang of many aspects of the raid. Only oryx and some aspects of Warpriest I need to brush up on. Besides that I love the raid.

Just wanted to say thanks to these guys for joining our raid attempt alst night, and to Callandor for being our guide for the first couple parts. Good times, too bad we coundn't get
Golgoroth
. Anytime you guys want to give it a run again I'd be happy to do it with you.

I'd love to give it another shot. After watching a few videos, I see we knew the mechanics of the fight, but not how to execute properly
We need to clear all adds before beginning the damage phase.
I think we could take him if we tried it again this week.

ocean

Banned
Beautiful. Did you get the 300 artifact from Eris? I'm just missing the 1 Tier 3 completion. Got any Antiquated runes to toss on the pile?
I'll be home in an hour and need to pop a T3 for the Calcified Fragment. I also need to do 4 distinct T2s if you wanna hang around while I pop it and quit until I get the ones I need :p engrams for all!

LTWood12

Yep! Got the artifact plus some other better gear. I've got a Stolen rune but no antiquated. But in just playing last night I got two antiquated runes and used them. We should be able to get it done pretty quick.

Klyka

Banned
King's Fall right now is a refreshing return to content where everybody has to be on the ball. You can't pick up for other's slack, and I don't think you should be able to in the absolute final endgame. Save that for a Strike or Court of Oryx.

That moment when you
are the Oryx relic runner for 4 hours straight and your hands hurt, your arms hurt, your eyes hurt from the constant black and white bullshit and you are falling half asleep cause it's 4am and every single jump you take has to be perfect over and over again and you need to get the relic to the knight without dying to a wrong double jump or getting stuck on adds and then you pull out your golden gun and you can't miss that shot or else DPS might not be enough.
Jesus Christ man.

Oh btw whatever happened to the group I helped with the first boss last night? Did you guys get past second boss? Did my tip help?

lt519

In a sense I agree it's you. Being forced under level and getting the correct amount of dps can be frustrating. There should be more room to wiggle around and recover if something happens. Still I think Kings fall is fun so far. I can def see how it can be a nightmare for people tho...

I think the no room for error should be saved for the Hard mode raid. If groups are wiping because one person dies and can no longer do the right amount of DPS, that's essentially what the Hard mode raids were all about in the first place, no revives.

We're doing it tonight for the first time, all at 290+ with some good loadouts and serious raid experience. I'm expecting tough mechanics and good execution needed, but if I'm hitting enrage timers left and right because we aren't doing enough damage I'll be disappointed.

Top Bottom