• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

LTWood12

Looking up my account on bungie.net, it shows that I have zero legendary marks.

But I know I have at least 50 or so.

Anyone else getting that? Did the reset wipe my marks? lol

It's bugged. It only shows in your actual inventory. Anywhere else like the vendors on Bnet it shows 0 for some reason.

btkadams

The loot dropping has been so much better for me compared to pre-TTK. I'm at 287 right now I think and it's been a steady climb up. No frustration or walls yet. Loving it!

I'm not dismissing it may be an issue for others. Definitely sounds like a bug if mine has been so perfect.

LiK

I don't know if I can do it later on. It'll depend on how fast Fig, Afro, Math, and I complete the raid.

cool, no prob.

The loot dropping has been so much better for me compared to pre-TTK. I'm at 287 right now I think and it's been a steady climb up. No frustration or walls yet. Loving it!

I'm not dismissing it may be an issue for others. Definitely sounds like a bug it mine has been so perfect.

way worse for me. was better when the expansions came out.

Shito

so is it just me or are NF rewards pretty crappy now. I ve gotten three of coins multiple times and Ive heard of others getting antiquated runes. So we get items that will give is our NF rewards after more work? anybody get anything really good? I havnt seen an exotic drop for anyone in a NF group ive ran with.
Got a 297 auto rifle that I used on my zhalos when running my NF last week with you, but yeah reading on people's experience I'm not motivated at all in running it this week.
Before TTK I was mainly doing them for the buff, but now that the loot table is even more diluted and that we don't get the buff anymore, screw that.

At the first of 2 layovers and for 3 hours. WiFi here is no bueno. I brought my Vita and 3ds and I can't play anything because TTK reasons. Halp

Sullichin

I have it.
Just tried it a bit today in court after having unlocked firefly: it's good for this, because the range in court is never too far away, but otherwise it suffers a bit from the hand cannon nerfs. Haven't unlocked Maverick yet, but I think I saw a gaffer say he basically played a whole strike with it without reloading once.
It has great potential. ^^

I've been using the FWC HC with firefly. I noticed my game crashing constantly when I do, and then today I see a reddit thread about it so i'm not the only one. Hopefully firefly isn't kinda bugged on Ace of Spades too.

I really like the FWC one, but yeah I am feeling the hand cannon nerfs. It is significantly less reliable to get a precision shot from a decent distance, which is dissapointing when you're expecting stuff to blow up. Not sure how the range of Ace of Spades compares.

Seems like hunter gets the best weapon from the gunsmith quest. The other two exotics don't seem to have great perks.

deoee

Nice i'm 50 Rep short on Queens Rep for Rank 3 to finally (?) get the Boolean Gemini.
Can I farm rep outside of the weekly quests?
Already did all the story missions today.

E92 M3

Who ever bought it should be able to access the "best" aspect IMO. Nonetheless I do not believe we will come to an agreement so its all good and I do respect your P.o.V :)

Yeah, let's agree to disagree because it's just opinions from the both of us.

--

On another note, tower ghost seemingly stopped functioning for me on the droid. It will not load my inventory. Thinking Touch of Malice broke it or something. Destiny without Tower Ghost is not the same.

hydruxo

I think Kings Fall is slightly better than VoG. It's awesome. Plus we'll have these boss fights down to a science in no time like always.

BondFancy

What are some impressions on the Chaperone? Worth the effort for the quest?

Another note- Finally finished the story, such an improvement over vanilla it's not even funny. The last mission was great.

visiting Croats End again was freaking boss, also Eris is a bad ass

Touch of Malice is insane in the Crucible.
What is the damage for the final round for precision and body shot?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Someone spoiler tag me- what do people mean about "consuming shards" and getting annoyed with their resultant loot?
It hasn't been 1:1 for me either. I had two primary engrams on the ground and only one came to my postmaster.
I thought I just noticed this as well. Looks like I need to free up some dang slots for Court to be safe :(
Want to know what's sad? A bunch of 34s trying to cheese the Bridge in Crota's End? It's like, come on, guys, it's not that hard and it's really fun!
Painful >_<
I'm not arguing with you guys lol
lol! thanks a lot for finding a source. I had no idea where the idea was even coming from.

Deku Tree

Why and why? Top-level PvP and PvE activities should have similar rewards. And why limit level advantages? It defeats the whole purpose of having them at all if you're capping them at an easy baseline.

Simple. Because one relies on months of RNG on numerous hours long raids, and the other is guaranteed after being carried for 45 minutes. Especially now when even the
power level of raid gear is RNG.

Nothing similar about that. Unless they totally revamp the rewards structure for ToO, which they probably will to some extent.

Tovarisc

LFM King's Fall fresh!

Looking for 2 players with 290+ light level and time to do full clear. No previous experience required, but knowledge of encounters is always good. Train will leave asap!

Shito

I've been using the FWC HC with firefly. I noticed my game crashing constantly when I do, and then today I see a reddit thread about it so i'm not the only one. Hopefully firefly isn't kinda bugged on Ace of Spades too.

I really like the FWC one, but yeah I am feeling the hand cannon nerfs. It is significantly less reliable to get a precision shot from a decent distance, which is dissapointing when you're expecting stuff to blow up. Not sure how the range of Ace of Spades compares.

Seems like hunter gets the best weapon from the gunsmith quest. The other two exotics don't seem to have great perks.
Yeah, noticed that range nerf GREATLY when using the vanguard hand cannon while working on the ace of spades quest.
It seems the range on this one is slightly better, but I need to use it in other situations than just the court to judge it properly.
The sniper is reaaaally good though, haven't left my slot ever since I got it.

Ambitious

What are some impressions on the Chaperone? Worth the effort for the quest?

Another note- Finally finished the story, such an improvement over vanilla it's not even funny. The last mission was great.

visiting Croats End again was freaking boss, also Eris is a bad ass

What is the damage for the final round for precision and body shot?

Uh, I think it was 61? Give me a minute.

Nice i'm 50 Rep short on Queens Rep for Rank 3 to finally (?) get the Boolean Gemini.
Can I farm rep outside of the weekly quests?
Already did all the story missions today.

not that I found. you'll just have to wait a week like i did :( it was heartbreaking realizing that was a requirement without any indication it was one.

Someone spoiler tag me- what do people mean about "consuming shards" and getting annoyed with their resultant loot?

If you have 20 mouldering shards it supposedly gives you an extra chance at loot when killing Oryx. It auto consumes 20 of then when you kill him. I'm mad because I only got two shards for killing him. Effectively losing 18 for no reason.

Namikaze1

I thought I just noticed this as well. Looks like I need to free up some dang slots for Court to be safe :(

Painful >_<

lol! thanks a lot for finding a source. I had no idea where the idea was even coming from.
You can get Mouldering Shards from the raid bosses, chests, and Eris sells them. If you have at least 20 in your inventory upon beating Oryx you'll get "extra rewards". I heard some folks just got more Mouldering Shards as rewards. I have 20+ on me so we'll see what "extra reward" I'll get later.

If you have 20 mouldering shards it supposedly gives you an extra chance at loot when killing Oryx. It auto consumes 29 of then when you kill him. I'm mad because I only got two shards for killing him. Effectively losing 18 for no reason.

So we should only keep 20 in our inventory at a time?

ocean

Banned
That's a little dramatic, but point taken. Week one of the Normal raid is kinda like a pre-Hard raid. Hadn't thought of it that way. Also, it's not all about gearing, it's about knowledge. People who cleared week one probably only know one role, but every other raid, people know every role.

Want to know what's sad? A bunch of 34s trying to cheese the Bridge in Crota's End? It's like, come on, guys, it's not that hard and it's really fun!
Knowledge is probable even more important than gear. Crota isn't easy because of our guns. It's because of positioning.

It's because from middle balcony the Boomers can't touch you. You don't need to move to spot the sword knight. You have the cleanest possible angle at Crota. You can support your sword guy easily if there's Cursed around the ledge.

All the shit that drove us nuts: boomers taking people away from your team since you needed designated snipers (remember discovering they were Majors on heroic?), not knowing where the hell sword knight went, it being too late because Crota was moving, people dying to boomer splash etc. didn't go away with our level. It went away with middle balcony :p

Templar can still be tricky if the team spreads out and kills all Oracles as intended but lositioning changed that. Group up on right side, forget the damn Oracles and just DPS. Add control is easier with everyone together, you all get cleansed in one go, and focus firing the boss goes super damn quick.

King's Fall will also, with time, get easier as we not only reach the activity level but also figure out what the best strategies are in terms of positioning. Crude templates already exist, but they'll no doubt be perfected. Example:

We were placing the Desthsinger protective bubble on the little ledge below the opposite Deathsinger's platform. Super crowded and the shooting angle was nearly vertical :p then we decided to put the bubble on the platform diagonal to the Deathsinger we would shoot (one of the platforms used to summon the floating rocks). Much bigger, had room for a WoL bubble, was farther away from where enemies spawn. Boom, instant success and difficulty nerf without any changes in gear.

ich00

I'd love to give it another shot. After watching a few videos, I see we knew the mechanics of the fight, but not how to execute properly
We need to clear all adds before beginning the damage phase.
I think we could take him if we tried it again this week.

I think we can. I just watched this: . Granted they make the encounter look easy, but now that I understand it a bit better it's totally doable. We had the DPS capibility for sure, just not the right strat. I still have the psn chat up so I'll see if everyone wants to give it another run sometime.

Dante316

Looking to get a raid group together around 7pm EDT. This won't be a blind raid, but newbies are welcome if they don't mind getting spoiled on mechanics. If anyone from the group I cleared the raid with wants to join that would be awesome. If we can get some vets in here we should be able to clear it in about 2 hours.

1. Saveweyard

I wanna be in, I know most of the mechanics of the raid. Psn is dante316

ocean

Banned
You tag along to charge up your own rune. You don't get any rewards yourself.
If your Rune is charged by the time the encounter is done (it should be) you can also open the reward chest. Ray and Ruthless hopped on yesterday, charged theirs and all 3 of us opened the chest despite me being the one who triggered the event.

Sullichin

Yeah, it's too bad (or a good thing, depending on how you look at it) that it's so easy to get. EVERYONE will have one before long.

Yeah, noticed that range nerf GREATLY when using the vanguard hand cannon while working on the ace of spades quest.
It seems the range on this one is slightly better, but I need to use it in other situations than just the court to judge it properly.
The sniper is reaaaally good though, haven't left my slot ever since I got it.

I like stillpiercer but ranking the gunsmith to 2 gave me a cool looking Omolon sniper with very similar stats, higher ATK, and luck in the chamber. I should use stillpiercer more. Perfectionist doesn't seem very useful to me though

Korosenai

Let's recap on moldering shards

"EXTRA REWARDS will be granted when beating Oryx with 20 of these"

Just beat Oryx. Got one weapon, the lmg.

Everyone else got primaries when their shards redeemed. I've yet to see anyone not get a primary at Oryx. Wtf.

Ambitious

Everyone else got primaries when their shards redeemed. I've yet to see anyone not get a primary at Oryx. Wtf.

When their shards redeemed? Does this mean 20 shards are automatically consumed whenever you beat Oryx?

Managed to get to the 3rd boss last night with some fellow DGAFers. Not sure how I'm really feeling about the bosses. We self-wiped way more often than we failed outright. "Yeah, that's a wipe." x 30. In that regard, King's Fall isn't a successor to the Vault of Glass. This is the successor to Crota's End, specifically the
Crota fight. Crota on Hard, if you missed a sword smash, "that's a wipe." If the sword disappeared, "that's a wipe." If someone died, "that's a wipe." If someone fell off the ledge, "that's a wipe." There is 0 ability to recover. Self-wiping utterly kils the fun, but if you're trying to win, often it's the smartest strategy if something goes wrong near the beginning/ middle of the fight.

King's Fall bosses feel like that, each one more so.
Warpriest's worthiness trial is great. Just like the Sword Bridge in CE. The Warpriest does allow for recovering, but more than Golgoroth. If you have a rage taker fail, and it's not on the last phase, then you're pretty much screwed. And by far the worst is the Sisters. Someone falls off a platform, then "that's a wipe." You get killed by a ???, which happened 3x to us last night, then you're down on person, and the DPS hit is so much that you're going to be struggling not just short term, but for the rest of the fight to make up for it. Unless you're on phase 3 or 4, "that's a wipe." Have the witch turn around and thus make it impossible to crit her reliably? "That's a wipe." Most frustratingly, if you fail, then you just burned through all your special & heavy, so your next bout is going to be off. Just like Crota, waiting around for people to be able to synth up isn't fun.

A good point someone made about the need for utterly flawless execution for these boss fights is that it's a function of being undergeared. Every fire team member's DPS is crucial, so if someone isn't alive or isn't using optimal gear, it really hurts the team. The problem with this approach is that difficulty radically changes as you pass the DPS gate so much so that you often don't have to engage in the actual mechanics of the fight. Crota as a 32 was incredibly difficult and about 10 minutes. You need 6 downs and each one needed 3 smashes. You had to deal with Ogres and Gatekeepers. Crota as a 40 apparently only requires 2 downs. You don't even have to run inside anymore. Compare that to Gatekeepers or Oracles. Regardless of your level, you have to do the fight.

I'm not arguing that boss fights should be future-proof, but it highlights the different archetypes of boss-fights. Hands down, my current favorite boss fights are Gatekeepers and Skolas. Defined roles for all players, no DPS windows that have to be perfect to succeed, mechanics must be followed regardless of DPS, ability to recover and multiple methods to complete.

That's my initial impressions from my first week, of the first 3 bosses. Definitely subject to revision.

A lot of valid points here.

Personally I always thought Atheon and Crota were very fun... but I always hated the cycles. At 34, Crota felt really fun. You only have to kill the gatekeeper twice, down him 4 times, and don't need to fight Ogres. This is when Crota felt the most fun. Similarly, Atheon is more fun when you only have to go through the portals about 3 times. Anymore than 4 is excessive.

As it stands, Oryx requires you to do 4 parts (Kind of 5). That's just enough to where its not annoying. And it changes over time. However the DPS checks are pretty insane. Alternatively, on my successful run, my team did have some deaths and we did recover every time.

All I Got from Oryx with over 20 shards was a hand canon and Scout Rifle. Someone else in my team got more with under 20 shards.

matmanx1

what is everyone's opinion on the jade rabbit. kind of looks crappy.......

It wrecks. But it takes some getting used to and more care and thought than your average gun. It is definitely not fire and forget. Used properly you never have to reload and it does a ton of damage. What's not to like?

Yesyerday I had 20 Moldering Shards upon beating Oryx. I got The handcannon, the pulse, and the fusion. My Modering Shards were consumed.

Top Bottom