• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

stb

It hasn't been 1:1 for me either. I had two primary engrams on the ground and only one came to my postmaster.

I think it's that Engrams that appear decoded in the game world are not sent to postmaster.

E.g. if you try to collect a special weapon engram, but your inventory is full for that slot, if it says "[special weapon name]" on the right, it will not be at postmaster. If it says that it's an ENGRAM, it will be at postmaster.

Can someone confirm?

Regarding the raid chests

I'm seeing some place online mention the 3rd one has a chance to drop an exotic, can anyone confirm?

EDIT: nevermind, fake.

I just want to get an update on everyone's status and what day is looking best right now...

1. TheWorthyEdge
2. Xplicitone (looking like Thursday night at best)
3. Coy (already did it last night I think?)
4. TacticalFailure
5. Baliis
6. -------

So I'm pretty sure there's room for 2 at the very least.. We're aiming for the weekend but if we're ready a little earlier we could start :p

Ophelion

I did my duty to spread the good word of Destiny last night. Had a friend over and I convinced her to roll a new character on my account. She wasn't sure at first because she's never really played a FPS, but she once beat Mass Effect 2 on Insanity difficulty, so I figured she'd probably be alright.

She ended up making a Hunter and has been gravitating toward Bladedancer so far because from the intro mission, she just kind of fell in love with the Hunter's melee. I'm trying not to read too much into the immense satisfaction she receives from shanking dregs in the cosmodrome.

Given her interest in melee, after she'd completed the first mission (which ended with her blowing the Captain at the end of the mission's head clean off with a sniper rifle in roughly 2 seconds. Not a single death either. Not bad for a complete noob.) I switched back over to my character and showed her the sword.

I have a funny feeling someone's buying a PS4 in the near future. :)

King's Fall will also, with time, get easier as we not only reach the activity level but also figure out what the best strategies are in terms of positioning. Crude templates already exist, but they'll no doubt be perfected.

Exactly. It's amazing how the tactics evolve over time, eventually becoming almost uniform. Remember when people used to go down to the entry hallway? Remember people used to do left side? Balcony is a similar strat just the best positioning.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I usually find platforming in Destiny easy and fun but, damn, when you're
taken at the Sisters and all those annoying screen effects are on
, the platforms mess with my depth perception for some reason. Feels so shitty having to wipe because of falling off a platform you thought you'd land on.

Korosenai

When their shards redeemed? Does this mean 20 shards are automatically consumed whenever you beat Oryx?
Yep, went from 27 to 7 shards and got the LMG. The same exact LMG I got from Golgoroth with the exact same perks.

All I Got from Oryx with over 20 shards was a hand canon and Scout Rifle. Someone else in my team got more with under 20 shards.

Yesyerday I had 20 Moldering Shards upon beating Oryx. I got The handcannon, the pulse, and the fusion. My Modering Shards were consumed.

Reading this makes me sad.

E92 M3

What I kinda dislike - and this is small - everyone will now go to wearing only raid armor due to light. Yes, I know there is infusion, but for the foreseeable future it will be just raid stuff. HoW had it right with etheric light allowing anything to be maxed out.

Speaking of which, when can I convert my etheric light, Bungie?

It wrecks. But it takes some getting used to and more care and thought than your average gun. It is definitely not fire and forget. Used properly you never have to reload and it does a ton of damage. What's not to like?

This. Those unskilled at precision aiming need not apply. If you can control your aim and think on the fly and count/time your shots... it's a beast and you never have to reload like mat said. The whole mechanics to it and risk/reward is a nice challenge and the rifle also has superb range!

What I kinda dislike - and this is small - everyone will now go to wearing only raid armor due to light. Yes, I know there is infusion, but for the foreseeable future it will be just raid stuff. HoW had it right with etheric light allowing anything to be maxed out.

You can bet your ass Trials gear will be high light and I'd say Iron banner has a chance at somewhat high light too.

, the platforms mess with my depth perception for some reason. Feels so shitty having to wipe because of falling off a platform you thought you'd land on.
This raid has way too much visual distractions for my liking. It's so chaotic when you have a million effects on your screen every other minute. Especially when you're fighting Oryx.
You have the fog from the Taken, if you're the runner you have the black and white filter, weapons of light, the aura from the buff and then to top it off you have the epilepsy happening from Oryx.

Oh yea I completely forgot about etheric light haha. They really don't have a conversion for that yet?! -_-

I'd do an etheric light to legendary marks conversion, personally

EloquentM

aka Mannny

I'm confused. You mention infusion which is another path to getting high level (I feel like infusion works more reliably the closer in value the armors are) and then you still say everyone will be wearing raid stuff anyways. I don't plan on wearing any raid gear (except my boots cause my previous ones were rare)

If it makes you feel any better, I only got a ghost and a class item from the rest of the raid. Ghost is sick as fuck though.
"Only" a ghost. I'd kill for that. Most people like me are stuck with a 280 ghost, the raid ghost is at least 20 higher than that. Since we have 10 slots, that's 2 light levels instantly.

Are people really bitching that you have to have flawless execution on the raid bosses right now? Haha, it was the first weekend of the raid. Of course you did. That will change over time just like it did with all of the other raids. Sounds like some people are bitter that they got put in their place a little after months of dominating every part of Destiny.

You guys will find anything to complain about.

Lnkn52

It's only week 2. Wait until people clear the raid a whole months worth until they start infusing their other gear with raid stuff.

Korosenai

Personally, i'll be using dupe raid gear to infuse other legendary gear. I still really like the crucible stuff.

Ambitious

Apparently, I've got a terrible connection. I just got two messages during a Clash match. One told me to fix my connection, the other was a screenshot of me being reported for "cheating" and "bad connection". Well, this sucks. Just restarted my router, but what else can I do?

purg3

slept with Malkin

Yeah I had that issue last night the few times I had to do it and screwed up a couple of runs. But it was also my first run through of the encounter.

Also shoutouts to Homeboyd and Koro for the invite and teaching me the encounter and being patient. If you guys are running KF and need an extra, I'm always down.

E92 M3

You can bet your ass Trials gear will be high light and I'd say Iron banner has a chance at somewhat high light too.

Yep, can't wait.

Oh yea I completely forgot about etheric light haha. They really don't have a conversion for that yet?! -_-

I'd do an etheric light to legendary marks conversion, personally

Luke said they would do a conversion, but I bet they forgot haha.

I'm confused. You mention infusion which is another path to getting high level (I feel like infusion works more reliably the closer in value the armors are) and then you still say everyone will be wearing raid stuff anyways. I don't plan on wearing any raid gear (except my boots cause my previous ones were rare)

Infusion will be viable but not for a while I think (high light level).

It's only week 2. Wait until people clear the raid a whole months worth until they start infusing their other gear with raid stuff.

Yes, I am hoping to see some unique combinations in the next months. Customizable armor is always the best.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This raid has way too much visual distractions for my liking. It's so chaotic when you have a million effects on your screen every other minute. Especially when you're fighting Oryx.
You have the fog from the Taken, if you're the runner you have the black and white filter, weapons of light, the aura from the buff and then to top it off you have the epilepsy happening from Oryx.

Yes. The challenge should come from the mechanics, communication and teamwork. It shouldn't involve having to fight what you display is doing. Exceptions obviously should include stuff like
Golgoroths blindness thing

Are people really bitching that you have to have flawless execution on the raid bosses right now? Haha, it was the first weekend of the raid. Of course you did. That will change over time just like it did with all of the other raids. Sounds like some people are bitter that they got put in their place a little after months of dominating every part of Destiny.

It didn't even have to be flawless first week
You're able to afford everyone not making it back from detonating bombs because there's over 30 seconds of running afterwards. You're able to afford not getting every bomb to go off because after the "punishment" wave for not doing enough damage manually he has so little health left anyways. And heck, my group was able to afford one guy going down during DPS portions, with WoL we were able to stagger Oryx with 5. Flawless execution is hardly required.

Afrocious

I did my duty to spread the good word of Destiny last night. Had a friend over and I convinced her to roll a new character on my account. She wasn't sure at first because she's never really played a FPS, but she once beat Mass Effect 2 on Insanity difficulty, so I figured she'd probably be alright.

She ended up making a Hunter and has been gravitating toward Bladedancer so far because from the intro mission, she just kind of fell in love with the Hunter's melee. I'm trying not to read too much into the immense satisfaction she receives from shanking dregs in the cosmodrome.

Given her interest in melee, after she'd completed the first mission (which ended with her blowing the Captain at the end of the mission's head clean off with a sniper rifle in roughly 2 seconds. Not a single death either. Not bad for a complete noob.) I switched back over to my character and showed her the sword.

I have a funny feeling someone's buying a PS4 in the near future. :)

You messed up by letting her play as a bladedancer. The scum of the earth has now gained a new victim.

GutZ31

Apparently, I've got a terrible connection. I just got two messages during a Clash match. One told me to fix my connection, the other was a screenshot of me being reported for "cheating" and "bad connection". Well, this sucks. Just restarted my router, but what else can I do?
There are many reasons you could experience lag, or induce lag for others.
The most common has to be internet service providers offering poor service, and the next would be poor management of Internet traffic by your router/modem.

If your ISP throttles your internet speeds, or offers you sub megabit Internet, you are pretty much out of luck without switching to another service provider.
If it is your router or modem, then you can try to remedy the issue by port forwarding first, then, if nothing changes, buying new equipment if your hardware is well and truly aged.
portforwarding won't always fix the problem, but it is one of your first steps in getting rid of conflicts with services.

Constructive criticism is require to improve things since bungie "do" read the feedbacks from GAF. Just saying my personal opinion from what I experience so far which is not bitching and I did finish it as well. Of course there is a possibility it will change but as of now. Don't see anything wrong with that.

nOoblet16

The depth perception is absolutely terrible at that part...like it's probably one of the worst I've seen in a game. Destiny has had a relatively clean look (bar the class abilities with lots of glow, especially void and solar), but TTK makes things too chaotic with flashes and screen shakes, all of which contribute towards each other and add up towards the overall business of the screen.

There should be a toggle for screen shake/head bobble in every game....no exceptions. It's unbearable for me after a while just like vibrations on a controller.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ

Everyone buy the Hung Jury scout from Dead Orbit.

It's a fucking laser. Extended mag, triple tap, firefly.

:O

I got a 290 one with Firefly and other perks form a package and it's really good. Gonna be one of my mains until I get raid gear, whenever I'm not using an exotic primary. Helps that I don't think any of the current exotic Scouts are worth using the exotic slot for, by which I mean Jade Rabbit and Boolean Gemini.

Where in the Grimoire (assuming it's there) can I see how many fragments I've collected?
Yes. Enemies -> Book of Sorrows.

Problem is the grimoire card is account wide but the fragments are character specific. I had two on my alt that weren't on my main and it was super annoying. Still is, only found one of the two and went over every other one but can't figure out which it is. Strongly encourage ignoring fragments on alts.

Yep. Infused mine to 292 so far. Absolutely adore it. Only weakness is the mag size but you can swap that out for less stability.
Actually surprised to hear that you consider the mag size a downside.

With extended mag and triple tap you can get something like 28 shots off if they are all precision. Great for taking on majors and ultras.

Jafku

Ok Destiny GAF. I'm close to the legendary marks cap. What should I get? Helm of St.-14, Celestial NightHawk, Red Death or Hung Jury?

lt519

Whenever I pass by a co-worker who is raiding with me tonight I just hear a quite "Raid! Raid! Raid!" chant start. We're excited (;

Ok Destiny GAF. I'm close to the legendary marks cap. What should I get? Helm of St.-14, Celestial NightHawk, Red Death or Hung Jury?

It seems armor exotics/engrams are going to be easier to come by with Xur so I'd go for the weapons IMO (that's if you haven't already gotten a 280 ghost to move around characters)

Nighthawk for the raid.

We have three hunters for the raid that have Nighthawk, hopefully we can trivialize the shit out of it with a WoL and three Nighthawk shots (;

Top Bottom