• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Exactly. It's amazing how the tactics evolve over time, eventually becoming almost uniform. Remember when people used to go down to the entry hallway? Remember people used to do left side? Balcony is a similar strat just the best positioning.
Eeeevery once in a while I like to do Left side for the throwback. :p

Tecnniqe

Banned
That's a good point. I dunno. I just feel Spinning Up throws away ammo when I could be saving more deadly shots.

Besides I'm a Stormcaller Warlock: I just spam Stormtrance and run around with a sword for Tier 1 and 2 lol

I might give Spinning Up a try in the raid today. I'm quite a conservative player, so I'll see how much of a death machine this thing is.

Agreed. This makes me wonder how the Touch of Malice stands with other weapons.
ToM is broken in Raid but other than that its HP vs DMG tradeoff.

Jesus Christ

Everyone buy the Hung Jury scout from Dead Orbit.

It's a fucking laser. Extended mag, triple tap, firefly.

:O

It took a lot of grinding and quest finishing to finally get enough marks to buy it. Once I did, I FINALLY.....FINALLY.....enjoyed shooting things again in the taken king.

Up until that point, I didn't enjoy firing one single damn gun. Made the whole first week with the new content a HUGE chore.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm going to get the 1000 Yard Stare today. I have a 291 Blue Sniper Rifle, and if I infuse that to it, it'll bring it from 280 to 289. My question is this, should I use the 291 rare Sniper for my first raid, or go ahead and infuse, sacrificing 2 attack to do so.
Just reminded me to infuse up my Tao Yue Huan or whatever it is before I go back in there. Snipers are crazy useful in this raid for sure.

Monte Carlo's been putting in work though. And my Sealed A. build letting me get away with Nightstalker stuff I never would've been able to otherwise.

Afrocious

ToM is broken in Raid but other than that its HP vs DMG tradeoff.

obama-not-bad.jpeg

Navy Bean

Now that I'm over 290 (I'm level 292) almost every engram I decript has been in the 260s or 270s. Is this normal? It's been this way for 25+ engrams...

Can you confirm completing the ToM questline and this being a bug for you? aka you've found 45 fragments but the questline only counting fragments found after starting the eris quest? screenshot or something?

Nope, not gonna bother with that character anymore. More below.

doeasnt it tell you how many youve collected on the dreadnaught map? like the golden chests. its on the bottom right I think. I dont think it matters as long as youve collected them

Nope, there are 50 in total. Eventually you want all of them anyway.

I'm pretty sure you are screwed. The fragments you already collected do not show up on the ghosthunter website (only as: not found). The ones I picked up before the Eris quest also did not/do not count towards the ??/50 counter when you go to the Dreadnaught in the Director. Everything points towards that character being screwed, if you want the exotic weapon that is.

You also cannot go back and pick up the fragments again on the same character.

Two nightfalls since TTK.

13 Strange coins each time and I'm not even mad. Cause if Bungie doesn't patch Draksis I'm gonna be farming the hell outta his ass Friday morning lol.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I redeemed a code last night from the CE so it might be for that.

Oh i see how it is.
Its the Premium welcoming committee.
:)

Tell me more. I just got it last night and was going to use it in our Sat run. Is it great for all bosses?

Nah I dont like it in general as i almost kill myself with it all the time, but im pretty sure the 2 last fights when you're in the aura you take 0 dmg even when last round massive dmg thing is going.

BondFancy

I hate that I don't have any time to play Destiny D:, everyone else is raid ready and I'm sitting here at 240, never having done a daily, heroic, or any of the new strikes.

Engineering Life

LTWood12

Just reminded me to infuse up my Tao Yue Huan or whatever it is before I go back in there. Snipers are crazy useful in this raid for sure.

Monte Carlo's been putting in work though. And my Sealed A. build letting me get away with Nightstalker stuff I never would've been able to otherwise.

Just finished leveling Darth Suros, so I've moved onto Monte Carlo. Crazy how good it is now compared to pre-2.0. I'm interested to see whether I'll like it better than Spinning-up Regime.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm seeing a lot of discussion on VoG vs. KF, so I'll chime in.

I think this raid is a substantial step up from VoG, which I'd agree was the best content in the game pre-TTK. The biggest criticism I had of Destiny's raids going into King's Fall- that the game had a tendency of deferring most of the responsibility to one or two key people in the big boss fights while the rest were largely along for the ride- was addressed so thoroughly in King's Fall that I have to wonder if it was one of the defining goals when approaching the creation of the raid. Whatever issues I may have with King's Fall, the fact that they nailed that is enough for me to call the raid a success alone.

The three most common criticisms that seem to be popping up are rigid encounter design, harsh tuning, and how scaling will affect the encounters, and I think I'm on the opposite end of the prevailing sentiment here across the board.

First, I think it's generally too early to say there will/won't be alternate strats for KF's encounters given that we're not even a week out. Heck, I'm already seeing minor variations just looking through other runs following my group's successful completion.
Different priorities on when to deal with adds throughout almost the entire raid, ignoring the debuff on Warpriest and chain rezzing teammates afterwards, different approaches the Golg taunt- both in terms of comp and how the taunters deal with the orbs, dodging or gunning them down
. As groups get better gear, understand more and more about every obtainable edge in the fights, and get more comfortable in general, I'm sure we'll see other alternate approaches come out.

More importantly to me, though, I actually don't think loose encounter design- which is what allows for a multitude of fundamentally different strategies in the first place- is a good thing. The reason some of the Vault fights allow different approaches is that there simply isn't a lot of precision going on in mechanical demands of the fight in the first place. The ideal MMO encounter to me is a puzzle with the right level of tells- it should be approachable through keen observation and constant refinement of a group's strategy but ultimately unyielding in what it expects. An open ended puzzle with multiple solutions is like a lock that accepts a bunch of keys to me- bad. I like having room in an encounter to add flourishes, to optimize in places, sure, but I don't like being able to fundamentally ignore certain aspects of a fight or being allowed to tackle it in various ways- the fun of a raid is figuring out the winning strategy and if a fight is loose and lets me do that with any number of different positioning approaches, it's giving up the goods too early and robbing me of that fun.
For instance, I actually the Warpriest fight isn't rigid enough- it shouldn't be possible to succeed by ignoring the debuff and chain rezzing teammates. I probably would have dropped the tablet of ruin there instead of/in addition to Golg were I designing it.

Re:tuning, I have a very similar opinion here in that I think it a) isn't actually as hard as some are saying and b) difficulty is good, not bad. Sure, you can't
fall on Oryx, but you can miss the 25% damage mark on a rotation and repeat a cycle over again. Golg has steep requirements, but we had a death and some missed orbs on our run with multiple 290s and still killed him. Warpriest? Our group didn't even realize refreshing the debuff reduced the window you had to dps the boss, leading to short dps openings with an avg 285 light group and, again, we still beat him.
The limited dps windows give the impression you need the best gear, but there's a decent amount of slack in these fights- not once did our under the light requirement raid group nail the strategy and fail because of numbers; it was always some other element of our execution that failed. In that regard, I think it should actually be harder, if anything, for groups under the recommended light level. I guess this is still normal mode, so a little slack is fine. We'll see how forgiving the hard modes are.

So, yeah, I'm fine- happy even- with it being hard. This is the endgame content for the next few months and we just cleared it the weekend of release. So what if a lot was asked of you and your group to get there? You experienced the encounter in its most trying form- blind and undergeared. That's a privilege, not a problem.

And as far as scaling goes, I've heard both ends complain at this point. Some have said that the relationship between damage and success in the fights will mean outgearing the fights will invalidate the encounter design, making it worse than VoG. Nooblet, in our group, wanted a more direct encounter with Oryx so that we actually would see more substantial growth in our clear speed as we progressed, and Atheon was pointed at a positive example of that. I don't really have any strong opinion one way or the other here in terms of what should be- encounters once they're figured out are faded for me either way- but I do think acting like VoG is always mechanically demanding regardless of gear is incorrect- Atheon and Templar pretty obviously have cycles removed by greater gear and you're still going to kill Oracles, Gatekeepers, and adds much quicker with better gear reducing the demands of those fights as well- and acting like King's Fall will somehow lose all its mechanical complexity with gear is also incorrect.
You'll still need to go through the cycles at least once to enable damage on each of the 4 bosses and the totem relay/opening sequence will function similar to the add based fights of other raids with better gear making it easier to clear the adds, but not elimating the need to go through the various runs.
In fact, I think the two will end up being pretty similar in how scaling affects them.

Some other misc. thoughts

Add driven encounters. Every encounter to date is heavily driven by adds. This seems like a missed opportunity, but I don't really see this as too much of an issue on reflection. Nearly every MMO encounter- Destiny or otherwise- features lots of adds- Patchwerk fights are generally regarded as the definition of boring, after all. Furthermore, Destiny is a shooter. Getting the feedback loop of taking down an enemy every so often is even more important here than in a more traditional MMO. Even the games mechanics expect enemies to be cleared every so often- orb generation, ammo refill, super charge, etc. on kill perks would be rendered useless in an addless fight. All that said, I do think it'd be cool to see if Bungie could actually come up with a good single target fight. Consider it more a challenge for the future than a problem with the present then.

A limited raid vocabulary. I was
disappointed to see relics and annihilator plates again the first time we find them again in King's Fall, but the unique twists the encounters put on them quickly wiped that feeling away and my fears of the raid featuring nothing but the same building blocks again were dispelled on fighting the "proper" bosses of King's Fall, which all feature fairly unique mechanics. Oryx, as the final fight, reusing some of the mechanics of the prior fight seems initially disappointing as well, but when looking at the raid from an Oryx-centric perspective, the daughters seem more like a deliberately placed tutorial for Oryx to ensure he wasn't dropping too many new mechanics at once than they do a completely separate boss fight.

Overall, super happy with the raid. We'll see how it fares in time, but I'm 99% certain it will be looked back on as the best of the first three. VoG was the first, and will always retain some love because of it, but I think it's pretty clearly been surpassed.

Homeboyd

Nope, not gonna bother with that character anymore. More below.

I'm pretty sure you are screwed. The fragments you already collected do not show up on the ghosthunter website (only as: not found). The ones I picked up before the Eris quest also did not/do not count towards the ??/50 counter when you go to the Dreadnaught in the Director. Everything points towards that character being screwed, if you want the exotic weapon that is.

You also cannot go back and pick up the fragments again on the same character.
I found 5 or 6 fragments BEFORE I ever went to eris to start the "find 5 fragments thing." They absolutely are showing up as found on ghosthunter.net and on my director screen.

Oh i see how it is.

Nah I dont like it in general as i almost kill myself with it all the time, but im pretty sure the 2 last fights when you're in the aura you take 0 dmg even when last round massive dmg thing is going.

Oh yes. OH YES.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why the hell are they level 36 though? Makes them only suitable for crucible.
Huh? Don't look at the level requirement as anything other than "you can equip this even if you haven't hit 40 from the story quests."

You can infuse them up just like any other weapon. The Apple of Discord is gonna be my Warlock's primary for a good while, I love the perks.

Owensboro

Didn't see anything in the OP, so I might as well ask:

What's the general advice for staring out this expansion? Anything that should be tackled absolutely first? Is there an explanation of how to get various reps up the quickest (this Armsday thing, for instance)? I just want to maximize my playtime since I don't get hours and hours to burn playing games anymore.

For reference, I have 3 characters at 34 but just haven't been able to pull myself away from MGS:V yet to give it a go. I'm thinking I'll get to Destiny this weekend (hopefully).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Oh i see how it is.

It's shit anyway. :p

Scouts are my favorite too and they got a ton of love this time around. As a Warlock on PlayStation I have access to 4 different exotic scouts. They really made up for the fact we only had 1 all last year.

Have you come across any full auto Scouts? I used the Vision of Confluence like 90% of the time so I'm pretty addicted to that full auto perk. I hate that Bungie has remove the reforge option because I have a 294 rare which is awesome in PVE but I just can't get used to the lack of no full auto. I have an auto rifle Does Not Bow which is 299 and has really low recoil so I'm using that as an alternative but I'll try out the Boonlean.

I found 5 or 6 fragments BEFORE I ever went to eris to start the "find 5 fragments thing." They absolutely are showing up as found on ghosthunter.net and on my director screen.

That's weird. I looked up some of the ones not showing up on ghosthunter, and I am 100% sure I already have a couple of them.

One for example is the one you find the firsr time you land on the Dreadnaught. That first area, all the way in the back. 100% sure I got that one, yet its not showing.

Top Bottom