• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Navy Bean

That's surprising to hear.

Having someone play 2 days and get a Hawkmoon and then having Noomi grind 8 months and a 300 Strike session just go get it seemed ridiculous to me.

At the end of the day everybody had everything if they played enough but there was no real way of making an effort for something you wanted for most stuff.

Like, the quest for an Exotic sword just got hyper annoying. I don't care enough to do it. Had these been the steps for something I did want, like Ace of Spades, I'd have been happy that acquiring it was something I controlled and not dependent on luck.

I decided yesterday I wanted Touch of Malice and I'm currently using and loving this strange beast. Without the quest setup, I'd be left wishing and seeing others use it.

Anyone you see with Touch of Malice has:
- Completed the campaign
- Done Tier 1, 2 and 3 Court of Oryx
- Completed the Raid
- Visited every nook and cranny of the Dreadnaught
- Opened special puzzle chests in the Dreadnaught
- Done special events like Skyburners pass or Wormfeeder or Agonarch rune

The weapon - and its attending emblem and PSN trophy - are a badge that shows you've experienced everything (or most of) TTK brought to the table.

The Chaperone quest was a feat of PvP skill coupled with PvE skill - having it means you performed at a high level even if it meant leaving your comfort zone.

Boolean Gemini rewards you for getting into the optional side campaign. Taken War, Wolves on Mars and even a little Court of Oryx - you end all this optional content with something to show for it.

Ultimately, the weapons are available to all and it's just a test of skill and "how bad do you want it", which I think is way cooler than "yay NF # 127 finally gave me ____".

Problem with the Touch of Midas quest is that collecting a bunch of the fragments is just tedious and boring. And it's not like people are exploring for fragments - they go online and follow a guide.

I think it would be interesting in elimination matches if they could implement some way to turn off communication over the mic if you die.

That would be interesting but it would he easy to bypass it with a psn party chat or even Skype depending on how serious you are about winning.

PuMa

Having someone play 2 days and get a Hawkmoon and then having Noomi grind 8 months and a 300 Strike session just go get it seemed ridiculous to me.

At the end of the day everybody had everything if they played enough but there was no real way of making an effort for something you wanted for most stuff.

Like, the quest for an Exotic sword just got hyper annoying. I don't care enough to do it. Had these been the steps for something I did want, like Ace of Spades, I'd have been happy that acquiring it was something I controlled and not dependent on luck.

I decided yesterday I wanted Touch of Malice and I'm currently using and loving this strange beast. Without the quest setup, I'd be left wishing and seeing others use it.

- Completed the campaign
- Completed the Raid

The weapon - and its attending emblem and PSN trophy - are a badge that shows you've experienced everything (or most of) TTK brought to the table.

The Chaperone quest was a feat of PvP skill coupled with PvE skill - having it means you performed at a high level even if it meant leaving your comfort zone.

Boolean Gemini rewards you for getting into the optional side campaign. Taken War, Wolves on Mars and even a little Court of Oryx - you end all this optional content with something to show for it.

Ultimately, the weapons are available to all and it's just a test of skill and "how bad do you want it", which I think is way cooler than "yay NF # 127 finally gave me ____".

I've always been into loot-heavy games, especially those like Diablo for example. I prefer the RNG method to getting loot, because when you get something, it's truly special. I don't want it to mean that I just ticked a few boxes that anyone can tick to get the same stock reward.

I know this sounds kinda odd in the Destiny community, but I think we have a large variety of players here (obviously), a lot of whom are not used to heavy RPG or RNG elements.

ocean

Banned
Problem with the Touch of Midas quest is that collecting a bunch of the fragments is just tedious and boring. And it's not like people are exploring for fragments - they go online and follow a guide.
I think it's still preferable to give you a guaranteed path to what you want than the usual "lol get lucky". I hate that there's no way for me to get the Z Supercell. I know I'll get it eventually but I dislike it being completely, 100% outside my control.

Afrocious

Fuck yeah. Now I'm ready for the raid today lol

12052541_10152995786037680_1491052290613443295_o.jpg

Thanks Zoba and Math. I owe you two for real. We can go fragment hunting for sure.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You guys must all have killed Draksis no less than 22 times. Gotten at least half of the exotics. Have a 300+ sword, sniper, subclass maxed out, and has beaten all the Mario bros game without dying.

Schryver

287 Titan here. I have two options for my Legendary Marks at the moment - Bad Juju and Monte Carlo. Suggestions? My only decent primary right now is a 293 Scout RIfle (Treads Upon Stars) so infusing imight be an issue until I get some more drops. I am thinking Bad Juju for the first purchase because most (all?) auto rifles are too annoying from any sort of distance

Shito

You guys must all have killed Draksis no less than 22 times. Gotten at least half of the exotics. Have a 300+ sword, sniper, subclass maxed out, and has beaten all the Mario bros game without dying.
Forgot the Souls feats one must have achieved as well.

Out 1

- Completed the campaign
- Completed the Raid

100% this. having half of the exotics gated behind quests is one of the highlights of this expansion. though unnecessary grindy stages can go fuck themselves.

Carl

Reached 295. Guess i can't get much higher now until i do the raid. Doing it with my clan though so have to wait for the rest of the scrubs to reach 290. Can't wait.

287 Titan here. I have two options for my Legendary Marks at the moment - Bad Juju and Monte Carlo. Suggestions? My only decent primary right now is a 293 Scout RIfle (Treads Upon Stars) so infusing imight be an issue until I get some more drops. I am thinking Bad Juju for the first purchase because most (all?) auto rifles are too annoying from any sort of distance

Bad juju is one of my favorite weapons in the game at the moment, near infinite ammo, supers all day, good distance and damage, and great in crucible as well.

ocean

Banned
I've always been into loot-heavy games, especially those like Diablo for example. I prefer the RNG method to getting loot, because when you get something, it's truly special. I don't want it to mean that I just ticked a few boxes that anyone can tick to get the same stock reward.

I know this sounds kinda odd in the Destiny community, but I think we have a large variety of players here (obviously), a lot of whom are not used to heavy RPG or RNG elements.
Yeah I totally see that angle, but I don't share it. Xur gave me the Helms I wanted from engrams and NF got me a Suros but that kinda thing doesn't feel special to me at all. Like, zero. Because it has nothing to do with skill, effort or time investment so it's just something that happened and not something I earned. My Touch of Malice and Chaperone feel 100000x more special than my Telesto / and this has nothing to do with each weapon's strength or merits but rather the process which gave them to me.

I guess Bungie knows there's people who feel differently about these things and so the loot table has things that "feel special" for us all :)

R0ckman

That would be interesting but it would he easy to bypass it with a psn party chat or even Skype depending on how serious you are about winning.

Yeah, I agree. I guess they could blacken the players screen when they die. It's actually probably something they should seriously look into. I wonder how many people would complain though. I don't take pvp too seriously in this game though so...

Navy Bean

I think it's still preferable to give you a guaranteed path to what you want than the usual "lol get lucky". I hate that there's no way for me to get the Z Supercell. I know I'll get it eventually but I dislike it being completely, 100% outside my control.
I agree - my issue is not with exotic quests, it's that some of the steps in the quests Bungie designed are simply not fun to me and take hours to complete. (Such as TLW one and the fragments).

PuMa

100% this. having half of the exotics gated behind quests is one of the highlights of this expansion. though unnecessary grindy stages can go fuck themselves.
Not for me. I much preferred it without the quests. Some quests are fine, I guess, but there should be more random drops.

Yeah, I agree. I guess they could blacken the players screen when they die. It's actually probably something they should seriously look into. I wonder how many people would complain though. I don't take pvp too seriously in this game though so...

That would work. I don't know how that change would be received. As is being dead gives decent situational awareness you can use strategically, but not having that would make it a bit more hard-core.

I would rather work for my loot. I didn't really like Year One style of play this strike for a chance at a pull on the slot machine at the end.

I much prefer how it is now, a small mix of both.

xinek

I'm hanging out at Rocketyard, waiting for Stirok, Banner of Oryx to appear. No other guardians are here, so I either can't find the Taken lieutenants in time, or I can't beat Stirok by myself. Feel free to join on me! PSN is legilimens.

Top Bottom