• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Bogeypop

You fire like normal until down to 1 bullet. Then that last bullet "never ends". You can keep firing that last bullet forever, and each shot of that does 2x damage.

However, every time you fire the gun with 1 bullet left you take damage. Hold the trigger long enough and it'll kill you. You can counteract this by reloading (back to normal 1x damage) or killing 3 enemies quickly to regain health and letting you keep shooting alive.

Feels truly exotic with that risk reward game. Like how weak are you willing to get to keep getting that sustained 2x damage before you reload?

I was looking at my Touch of Malice and realized you need 30 Hadium Flakes to fully upgrade it... Looks like the grinding for this thing never ends...

skip

I am...not great...with Radiance kills. Any advice for that "kill 20 under Radiance during a strike" quest step? I can never get credit for the final kill due to teammates...

darthbob

Waiting for Taken to spawn is taking forever. There's like 5 other guys waiting with me lol

I got lucky and was put into an Echo Chamber strike with Taken Vex, so that's how I got it done. Unfortunately for everyone else, Taken Vex take forever to spawn.

Also, I'm like 99% sure that no Taken ever spawn in the Ishtar Commons, contrary to what the quest says.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
the Chaperone is the No Land Beyond of shotguns

I'm not even bothering with it since new Primary Exotics are currently vastly more useful

Ha is it really that bad? It didn't seem that good from the description of the perks, but I was withholding judgment until there was more time to use it.

LiK

I got lucky and was put into an Echo Chamber strike with Taken Vex, so that's how I got it done. Unfortunately for everyone else, Taken Vex take forever to spawn.

Also, I'm like 99% sure that no Taken ever spawn in the Ishtar Commons, contrary to what the quest says.

Finally done. Has to wait a full ten minutes. Thankfully, had a PE happen while we waited.

inthrall

Thanks for the Oryx run last night all, was a lot of fun! Managed to walk away with a Auto Rifle, Fusion Rifle, ghost and class item, plus the artifact you get for finishing the raid pushed me up to a whopping 301 light :D

That's surprising to hear.

Having someone play 2 days and get a Hawkmoon and then having Noomi grind 8 months and a 300 Strike session just go get it seemed ridiculous to me.

At the end of the day everybody had everything if they played enough but there was no real way of making an effort for something you wanted for most stuff.

Like, the quest for an Exotic sword just got hyper annoying. I don't care enough to do it. Had these been the steps for something I did want, like Ace of Spades, I'd have been happy that acquiring it was something I controlled and not dependent on luck.

I decided yesterday I wanted Touch of Malice and I'm currently using and loving this strange beast. Without the quest setup, I'd be left wishing and seeing others use it.

Anyone you see with Touch of Malice has:
- Completed the campaign
- Done Tier 1, 2 and 3 Court of Oryx
- Completed the Raid
- Visited every nook and cranny of the Dreadnaught
- Opened special puzzle chests in the Dreadnaught
- Done special events like Skyburners pass or Wormfeeder or Agonarch rune

The weapon - and its attending emblem and PSN trophy - are a badge that shows you've experienced everything (or most of) TTK brought to the table.

The Chaperone quest was a feat of PvP skill coupled with PvE skill - having it means you performed at a high level even if it meant leaving your comfort zone.

Boolean Gemini rewards you for getting into the optional side campaign. Taken War, Wolves on Mars and even a little Court of Oryx - you end all this optional content with something to show for it.

Ultimately, the weapons are available to all and it's just a test of skill and "how bad do you want it", which I think is way cooler than "yay NF # 127 finally gave me ____".

Applause.gif

This is what turned Destiny into my favorite game ever to simply the best game ever, full stop.

ocean

Banned
I was looking at my Touch of Malice and realized you need 30 Hadium Flakes to fully upgrade it... Looks like the grinding for this thing never ends...
Oh I was ready.

Primary Telemetry + 20 Motes = 0 to max from the get go. I had enough Hadium saved too. I'll need more for my other two Swords though, only have like 10 left

Wallach

Man I had some good luck last night. Dumped some Glimmer into New Monarchy rep before bed and got both a very nice Antinomy Hakke SR (which is a little redundant with the King's Fall SR I got last night, but still a really nice weapon that has Counterbalance, Feeding Frenzy and Perfect Balance) and a 300 Burden of Proof shotgun (that I may wind up just using for infusion fuel but has both Shot Package and Final Round).

Do all the King's Fall weapons have Cocoon as a base perk? By itself it is a nice perk - works really well on the SR just due to how you use SRs in PvE - but if you could get a loadout with these in all three slots it would be really wicked.

R0ckman

Does anyone know what the track name for the
Golgoroth
battle? It also plays in the CoO on ocassion depending on the boss.

ocean

Banned
Btw Court of Oryx counts as a Public Event for Grimoire - even if you fail or abandon midway.

There's no real reason to care about Grim but for those still looking to knock out at least the remaining Year 1 cards, that's a major speed boost.

If you were so inclined you could pop a Stolen or Antiquated, abandon and repeat (it won't consume your Rune). Or actually do CoO for a super fun time making a billion engrams an hour :)

Jinjo

Great raid with the guys just now. Started off with jumping fails & chest shenanigans. Smashed
War Priest
twice because Zoltan disconnected before the killshot. Beat
Olgoroth
in enrage time. Epic stuff. Then ended it with more jumping fails and chest shenanigans lol.

Death sisters & Oryx
are up later this week!

deafmedal

Looking to set up a blind raid for Friday night or Saturday (CST), currently I'm a 294 'lock hoping to be 295 by then lol! Please PM if interested as thread moves too fast and I cannot follow it :p

Reposting from earlier :) Most likely be Friday night around 6-7 CST, space for 3-4!

Fuck me, bottom again!

hadar

Couldn't resist after seeing it in person and bought the PS4 Limited Edition.. dear god it's so purdy!

The gameworld is amazing, it took like an hour or so to actually get used to having so much detail on screen (went from 3 to 4) that I kept getting sidetracked looking at walls.

I've never noticed before that the hive's eyes actually glow green in the dark! Saw it yesterday when I saw a light behind a rock and found an acolyte crouching there.
My love for this game is at an all time high now!

LTWood12

Looks like the game stops rounding up your light level once you hit 290. Yesterday, I was light level 284. I calculated the average of all my light at that time to be 283.4:

Primary-290
Special-292
Heavy-277
Ghost-280
Helm-296
Arms-290
Chest-294
Legs-286
Class-285
Relic-244

After last night's Court of Oryx session and Nightfall, my light level rose to 291. However the calculated average of my equipped gear is 291.9 Here is my gear now:

Primary-290
Special-292
Heavy-283
Ghost-280
Helm-296
Arms-290
Chest-294
Legs-296
Class-298
Relic-300

So while the game was willing to give me credit for being 284 when I was actually 283.4; it keeps me at 291 even though my average is 291.9. Interested to see what others are experiencing. This would explain some of the slow-down we experience at the higher levels.

Anastasis

Has anyone done the "House of Wolves" quest line? I'm wondering how much Queen's Wrath you receive. Trying to get to level 3 and the weekly bounties are too slow. Thanks!

Shito

Btw Court of Oryx counts as a Public Event for Grimoire - even if you fail or abandon midway.

There's no real reason to care about Grim but for those still looking to knock out at least the remaining Year 1 cards, that's a major speed boost.

If you were so inclined you could pop a Stolen or Antiquated, abandon and repeat (it won't consume your Rune). Or actually do CoO for a super fun time making a billion engrams an hour :)
That's a good advice.
Also, was wondering while doing some earlier today: do regular ogres that can spawn in there also count for the grimoire?
I don't see why they would not, and I still need the last tier of this one... ^^

Wallach

Looks like the game stops rounding up your light level once you hit 290. Yesterday, I was light level 284. I calculated the average of all my light at that time to be 283.4:

Primary-290
Special-292
Heavy-277
Ghost-280
Helm-296
Arms-290
Chest-294
Legs-286
Class-285
Relic-244

After last night's Court of Oryx session and Nightfall, my light level rose to 291. However the calculated average of my equipped gear is 291.9 Here is my gear now:

Primary-290
Special-292
Heavy-283
Ghost-280
Helm-296
Arms-290
Chest-294
Legs-296
Class-298
Relic-300

So while the game was will to give me credit for being 284 when I was actually 283.4; it keeps me at 291 even though my average is 291.9. Interested to see what others are experiencing.

This is likely because the contribution of each slot is not even. Weapon slots are 12% instead of 10%, and the ghost/class/artifact slots are 8%.

Dead

well not really...yet
Weren't Strange Coins at one point a pain in the ass to accumulate?

Just wondering because now they are given out like candy

Has anyone done the "House of Wolves" quest line? I'm wondering how much Queen's Wrath you receive. Trying to get to level 3 and the weekly bounties are too slow. Thanks!

not much, it got me up about a third of a rank I think. The bounties give you 1k weekly. not too shabby.

Primary-290
Special-292
Heavy-277
Ghost-280
Helm-296
Arms-290
Chest-294
Legs-286
Class-285
Relic-244

Primary-290
Special-292
Heavy-283
Ghost-280
Helm-296
Arms-290
Chest-294
Legs-296
Class-298
Relic-300

So while the game was willing to give me credit for being 284 when I was actually 283.4; it keeps me at 291 even though my average is 291.9. Interested to see what others are experiencing. This would explain some of the slow-down we experience at the higher levels.

I thought I heard that some items are weighted slightly more than others when it comes to determining your level? I think it was a reddit thread someone linked that had the calculations. This might be why it seems to have inconsistent rounding.

Top Bottom