• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Impulsor

Myself and a few buddies are almost ready to raid.

How many of the team should be higher than 290? Would it be too frustrating with six 290 players?
Raise those levels man. We did it with people at level 293 minimum if I'm not mistaken. The raid gets really hard.

Jinjo

Touch of Malice GOT!

Too bad the game trolls you hard, by requiring you to get another 30 Hadiums, after you spent all your 50 to get the gun ><

So, yeah,
Oryx
died yet another time, my fifth kill and boy, this one was super smooth. Thanks to the American continent pr0 team: N00mi, Sparrows, XO, Gunnerz & Co. Was super late night for me (i look like straight from Dawn of the dead today at work), but i knew with this experienced team it would be a quick run. While sherpaing new ppl is very rewarding is also very time and energy consuming, so i was glad to not worry about explaining strats and teaching this time around.
We did the whole thing in less then 2 hours, while grabbing chests, swapping people and learning new roles. Pretty sure we can do it in about 1h, w/o the chests.

Getting confident with all the
jumping puzzles, hunter is my favourite, you just equit the Bones and there is no jump to be afraid of.

About the loot i discovered the following:

- Oryx 1st kill will net you at least 1 primary (plus emblem and quest item)
- 2nd kill and onward will not be a guaranteed drop of a primary (you can only get shards as on other bosses)
- the game will take your 20 shards and give you a RANDOM drop from any of the encounters (ghost, class item, primary, secondary, heavy, class armor etc).
- Oryx has a chance to drop a random exotic item

On my hunter i lost my 20 shards and got the class item, which drops from daughters.
This theory is confirmed by the reports i read from others.

My RNG was kinda off, got only doubles as last week: run the whole thing five times, still miss helmet, fusion, sniper, HMG, AR, Scout).

Got my titan to 307, Hunter is 304, Warlock 299. Can't wait for Hard and
challenge
mode!

What if you beat Oryx first time AND have 20 shards in possession?Do you get a double loot roll then? Guaranteed primary + random other raid piece.

Question, with the Remnants of Darkness quest, I have been running around patrols killing VIPs for the quest on every planet. I cant seem to get any of those missions in the Dreadnaught. I have completed several of the misc patrols, but not getting any VIP kill quests. Any ideas?

ocean

Banned

How many of the team should be higher than 290? Would it be too frustrating with six 290 players?
If all six are 290 flat, you're all peachy for everything...until the last encounter. Then things are gonna get a little rough :p

While not impossible, the last fight with everyone being sub 295 is definitely a lot trickier. Hopefully you all get lucky with some drops along the way to bump you a little before you get there.

The fight itself can't be sped up, its pace is constant. All 290s should in theory be strong enough to make it happen but it would likely mean requiring absolutely perfect execution. One or two missed shots from a guy on the team could mean a wipe.

MrS

Banned
Shhhhhhh, before you know it everyone is running around in there lol.

Going to hunt for Touch of Malice - calcified fragments tonight.
I'm down to do some Heroics later, hit me up
What if you beat Oryx first time AND have 20 shards in possession?Do you get a double loot roll then? Guaranteed primary + random other raid piece.
What shards are those?

Skele7on

Banned

yeah you do.

20 fragments and 25 hadium to go :( also need to get sword ready to collect SO MUCH TO DOOOOO.

Marvel

could never
Are we picking up where we left off from the
Sisters
last night? Got the checkpoint for tonight if so guys.

Nuszka

Thanks to the American continent pr0 team: N00mi, Sparrows, XO, Gunnerz & Co.[/B] Was super late night for me (i look like straight from Dawn of the dead today at work), but i knew with this experienced team it would be a quick run. While sherpaing new ppl is very rewarding is also very time and energy consuming, so i was glad to not worry about explaining strats and teaching this time around.

Wow dude, thats what i was wondering, how are you feeling now ? I had less then 4 hours of sleep from the previous evening so last night i honestly had to call it. Got my power sleep now so tonight I'm ready to destroy some stuff.

nOoblet16

I need to start my Warlock. Om only unlocked Stormcaller on him, haven't done anything after that and I've been dreading doing it alone :p

Let's do it! Once we get Dreadnaught Patrol we should try and group up with someone for Court of Oryx. That quest gives a 300 Artifact and will clear the main roadblock to getting these alts Raid ready.

I'll be home at around 18h CET, up for this or a raid or two.

I won't be able to play then, GF coming over.
I can play anytime before that.

Nuszka

Nope, nothing guaranteed, with 20 equipped first time i only got a ghost , second time i got gauntlets only. For me not having them gave me better drops.

Jinjo

I'm down to do some Heroics later, hit me up

What shards are those?

I will. Wanna join me in a run of vanilla destiny too? Gotta get my Titan up to par again. Just roll a Hunter man. Nightstalkers are so good. Or we can do some Court of Oryx too.

Shards are Moldering shards. You get those from chests in the raid, or yu can buy from Eris after rank 5. Have 20 of those and Oryx gives you a guaranteed raid piece drop (shards will disappear)

yeah you do.

Cool. I have 16 atm. Might just buy 2 from Eris, then get another 2 from
Deathsingers
and then when clearing Oryx first time I'll have a double drop.

bitsurugi

Yep. Also have seen ppl get 2 primaries on their 1st kill (myself got 2 hand cannons on my hunter's 1st kill) while not having 20 shards. So i guess the 1st kills rolls one 100% drop, then the usual roll (no loot or loot) plus shards. It might be even a tripple drop with your 1st kill if rolls correctly and you have 20 shards on you (this obviously needs testing).

Yep. Also have seen ppl get 2 primaries on their 1st kill (myself got 2 hand cannons on my hunter's 1st kill) while not having 20 shards. So i guess the 1st kills rolls one 100% drop, then the usual roll (no loot or loot) plus shards. It might be even a tripple drop with your 1st kill if rolls correctly and you have 20 shards on you (this obviously needs testing).

I got two weapons and two shards on my first kill using the shards

ocean

Banned
ok, thanks lads. I know one if us is about 295 and as you say we might get little bumps along the way with the raid gear.
You guys could group up and do a solid hour of Court of Oryx. Popping some Stolen and Antiquated runes there you'll get a crazy number of engrams, and chances are high that at least some will boost you a bit.
I won't be able to play then, GF coming over.
I can play anytime before that.
Aw some other time man. Wish I weren't at the office :p

Jinjo

Nope, nothing guaranteed, with 20 equipped first time i only got a ghost , second time i got gauntlets only. For me not having them gave me better drops.

By first time, I meant first ever Oryx kill.

Cool. Will report back later this week about my results. Gotta get some hadium flakes first though.

nOoblet16

You don't need 290+ right until the Oryx fight.
The first parts of the raid have 280 enemies, so even 270-275 level is enough for that. Beside you'll probably get some gear that will bump you up. I think an average of 293 for the final part is ok, beside you have weapons of light if you ever feel like you need more damage in any area in the raid.

Each light level incurs some 2.5% damage penalty on you, so being 10 light level below means you are doing 25% reduced damage...which is actually not that bad considering it is still less than the original penalty that the game put if you were 1 level below (i.e. 33%).

bitsurugi

Wow dude, thats what i was wondering, how are you feeling now ? I had less then 4 hours of sleep from the previous evening so last night i honestly had to call it. Got my power sleep now so tonight I'm ready to destroy some stuff.

Very, very, very sleepy. But was worth it, loved the group we had and i can relax for this week, will be leaving my warlock for the raid we have with Aquatic, Liquid and the rest of the UK boys on Saturday. Will bring my ToM tho, this time, fully upgraded ^^

Jinjo

I wonder what the HM Oryx exotic will be. Figured it would have been Touch of Malice. Maybe that weird-looking exotic rocket launcher?

Or Y2 Ballerhorn

Acidote

The first parts of the raid have 280 enemies, so even 270-275 level is enough for that. Beside you'll probably get some gear that will bump you up. I think an average of 293 for the final part is ok, beside you have weapons of light if you ever feel like you need more damage in any area in the raid.

Each light level incurs some 2.5% damage penalty on you, so being 10 light level below means you are doing 25% reduced damage...which is actually not that bad considering it is still less than the original penalty that the game put if you were 1 level below (i.e. 33%).

So 292 light would be fine to start raiding? I should find a group then, although my equipment is mostly blues.

MrS

Banned
I will. Wanna join me in a run of vanilla destiny too? Gotta get my Titan up to par again. Just roll a Hunter man. Nightstalkers are so good. Or we can do some Court of Oryx too.

Shards are Moldering shards. You get those from chests in the raid, or yu can buy from Eris after rank 5. Have 20 of those and Oryx gives you a guaranteed raid piece drop (shards will disappear)

Cool. I have 16 atm. Might just buy 2 from Eris, then get another 2 from
Deathsingers
and then when clearing Oryx first time I'll have a double drop.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah I'll run some Vanilla or Court. I've got another antiquated rune but I need to get my Warlock levelled up at some point.
Sisters
Finally at 292 so I can jump in if you and Jinjo et al need another

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Jesus fuck

anyone feel capable of knocking out this strike for the sword right now?

ocean

Banned
You have to kill them with swords? This makes sense, but the quest doesn't say anything about that?
He disappears for a little while when shot. If you use swords only he'll stay there. It's not an actual requirement but I think the only way to kill him that fast is if he stays right where he is. Tricky thing will be balancing sword damage with not getting killed :p

Jinjo

Sisters

We could do that. I have training from 8 to 9 though (GMT+1). So I won't be home till like 9:30 or something. But then I have a good two hours.

I have longer tomorrow, then I'm home from 8:30 onwards.

420bits

Sisters

No idea, I think someone said they were going to the gym tonight?
But I will probably be online after 6 (+1 gmt) if there will be a continuation of last nights pwnage!

Edit:
We could do that. I have training from 8 to 9 though (GMT+1). So I won't be home till like 9:30 or something. But then I have a good two hours.

I have longer tomorrow, then I'm home from 8:30 onwards.

Aha! There's the culprit! But 9:30 would work for me, got ~2 hours or so as well. On Friday I got from 5 -> whenever.

Trickster

Can only one person do the sword quest at a time? So would we need to run the thing 3 times and have all 3 people be the one to deliver the killing blows or how does that work?

Bradach

You guys could group up and do a solid hour of Court of Oryx. Popping some Stolen and Antiquated runes there you'll get a crazy number of engrams, and chances are high that at least some will boost you a bit.

I actually haven't done CoO at all yet! Is it unlocked through a quest or do I just go to the place with my rune?

This is good to know. I thought you couldn't even get in below 290. There might be one of us a bit below the 290 level.

Anyone got their gun Smith weapons yet; what attack are they? Im assuming 280.

Also does anyone know what attack the level 3 gunsmith exotic starts at?

Top Bottom