• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

EL CUCO

Dec 31, 2014: the ship was added to the database when TDB dropped. It has a 1 next to it's icon.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/31/7473931/a-guide-to-finding-all-of-destinys-legendary-jumpships

Vienna singer..............Ranking up new monarchy or future war cult (Please confim which is which)

http://db.planetdestiny.com/items/view/3644912838

http://www.destinygamewiki.com/wiki/Vienna_Singer

Vienna Singer is a Legendary jumpship. It can be obtained by completing a special encounter during the Heroic (Light 240) Lost to Light. The same encounter that grants the player Black Spindle.

Released after The Taken King expansion (Year 2).

So can you grind for the ship by completing the mission over and over again?
How the heck is this on wiki already? O_O

Good find, Deku.

Edit: Ahh I see, "Updated an hour ago"

So you do the daily heroic mission in a certain amount of time you get the black spindle? Is there a timer on screen ?

No one has clearly explained this

No, normally in the mission at the end you have to run outside clearing 3 doorways using orbs. This is after you kill the ogre, grab a shard, and have to run out while taken chase you. You did this in normal for story mode, getting a chunk of the crystal holding Crota's Soul so you could enter the portal on the dreadnaught.

For the black spindle, at the 3d door you do NOT orb open it but instead run right and go towards the tanicks strike area. There are a new set of mobs and a boss in the tanicks ketch (ship) area instead now. A 10 minute timer starts when you open the door to the first room (there are 3) and you have to kill the boss and all his adds in the final room inside those 10 minutes or you get sent to orbit and fail. If you clear everything you get the sniper rifle (guaranteed) and a chance at the ship. The second you open the door to the first room on the ketch you get a 10 minute timer on your screen.

The last room is insanely hard, just tons and tons of taken including a few elites and they respawn constantly while the boss is up. A group of us, 3 295s, made it with just 22 secs left after 4-5 retries. Every time you fail you have to start all over again.

I am curious if you can get a 2nd and 3d on alts, that would be an insane way to get infuse mats.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Personally I don't think the mission was tough enough to justify the weapon being given. Nonetheless to everyone. This sniper will be required in ALL Oryx runs from this point on, just watch. It's easily the best sniper in the game right now and all you had to do was run a 15 minute mission once.

This just seems like a mistake. Either Bungie didn't think too much about it or they don't care. //shrug.

Just watch? Gonna go ahead and describe this as straight nonsense, because
Oryx can certainly be defeated without a single person in the fireteam having one, because the spot you attack him on in the fight doesn't count as a crit, because the majority of damage to him is not done with weaponry at all, because it occupies an Exotic slot that might will be better served by a utility exotic (one of the primaries that charges your super, in my case Monte Carlo to replenish Vanish in Smoke, hell we haven't even seen Sleeper Simulant), because the raid sniper with Cocoon is perfect for the fight, and because, well, it's dumb to think requiring a specific weapon for Oryx will make the fight any easier on a group. It's fair to say "you need a leveled up sniper" but that's about it.

This thing will mostly be useful for the same scenarios in which the original Black Hammer excelled. Stationary strike bosses, walkers, tanks. Much better for the
Warpriest
than Oryx but it won't ever be required for that fight either.

kinda seems like you're the one that didn't think about it too much :p

holy shit what even is this game anymore.. Bungie is on fire.. secret side quests that reward exotics.

Love it. Varicks VO is bad ass too.

WATCH YOUR BACK...

purg3

slept with Malkin
Now that this has been discovered, people are going to be going crazy exploring every daily going forward. I love it lol. This was an awesome idea by bungie.

Sky Walker

I know that everyone is busy with the black spindle but I need people to help me in the touch of malice quest :p the undying mind part to be specific.

Psn skywalker_3li

Can't wait to try this during lunch...you know just in case Bungie idiotically sees this awesome secret mission win as a "loss" and patches it for got knows what reason. Let the good times roll.

Omni

Your post contradicts everything Bungie says they wanted, and what they hated about LFG with Ghorn. It may be an exclusionary weapon that LFG groups say is 'required' but now everyone will have an opportunity to acquire it, so fewer people will be left out.
Fewer people will be left out if they have two other high level friends that can help them, sure.

Bungie hated the ghorn. But what they've done here is make a weapon so powerful that it will be a requirement for anyone looking to join the Oryx raid from this point on. At least with random groups. Which I don't think they were wanting either.

InFamy

Neo Member
Oh man, my family just surprised me with a PS4! Now all I have to do is save up for PS+ and the Legendary Edition. It sucks that I have to buy it all over again, but I feel like it will be much easier to look for a group. Plus waiting for my inventory to load won't take a long ass time.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone want to get this Black Spindle later on today on Xbox One? Read the tips on Reddit and doesn't seem hard just gotta be quick.

Would love to get that exotic.

HigXx

After about 10 tries all day finally got the ship. Such an adrenaline rush when we finished with like a second to spare!

darknil

Wow, just read about this 310 exotic today on Destructoid. I'm worried that I'm currently level 275. Hopefully the gunsmith has something good for me today.

If not, anyone willing to sherpa this in EST tonight? I'm reading that 290 is recommended :(

Strider

So it looks like I need 5 fragments from CoO and 2 from
the 2nd jumping puzzle in Kings Fall
to get 45 fragments. Does anyone have that checkpoint by any chance?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I didn't say that I would ask people for it..

The raid is a hard dps check for a lot of people. Going in with randoms is a huge gamble. Hell yesterday I did over 6 million damage to the Ogre myself and we still wiped. This weapon is the hardest hitting sniper in the game right now and will make these dps checks a hell of a lot easier. It's not hard to see what will happen for people on forums looking for groups. This weapon will become a staple of the Oyrx raid, just like the ghorn was in Crota. Now it's relatively easy to get, but still. People will be gated out of raids because of this, I can see it now. Maybe it's not so much useful for Oryx himself, but every other boss in the raid? Absolutely.

I dunno man. I'm glad we're not back to opening chests and relying on RNG, but I just think something as powerful as this should be locked behind a lengthy and difficult quest. Not something that can be beaten in 15 minutes if you have 2 other friends.
Moving the goalposts, first it was "required for ALL Oryx runs" now it's "maybe it's not so much useful for Oryx himself" :-/

damnit man. this is frankly, one of the coolest things to come out of TTK so far and I'm saying that as someone clearly judging the weapon to be quite a bit LESS powerful than you. Get on board! lol

flkraven

Fewer people will be left out if they have two other high level friends that can help them, sure.

Bungie hated the ghorn. But what they've done here is make a weapon so powerful that it will be a requirement for anyone looking to join the Oryx raid from this point on. At least with random groups. Which I don't think they were wanting either.

I saw a group complete the raid in 45 minutes before this gun was even found. I'm sure this gun will be good, but why is it required? Wouldn't any 300 dmg sniper with some synths be pretty good too?

Omni

Just watch? Gonna go ahead and describe this as straight nonsense, because
Oryx can certainly be defeated without a single person in the fireteam having one, because the spot you attack him on in the fight doesn't count as a crit, because the majority of damage to him is not done with weaponry at all, because it occupies an Exotic slot that might will be better served by a utility exotic (one of the primaries that charges your super, in my case Monte Carlo to replenish Vanish in Smoke, hell we haven't even seen Sleeper Simulant), because the raid sniper with Cocoon is perfect for the fight, and because, well, it's dumb to think requiring a specific weapon for Oryx will make the fight any easier on a group. It's fair to say "you need a leveled up sniper" but that's about it.

This thing will mostly be useful for the same scenarios in which the original Black Hammer excelled. Stationary strike bosses, walkers, tanks. Much better for the
Warpriest
than Oryx but it won't ever be required for that fight either.

kinda seems like you're the one that didn't think about it too much :p
I'm not even talking about Oyrx. I've beaten him just fine already. Machine guns much more important there, IMO.

But for literally every other boss in the raid, I see this being required. And by that I mean, by the same people who "require" players with 295+ light with "experience" in the first week. It's going to make things worse for a lot of people.

Moving the goalposts, first it was "required for ALL Oryx runs" now it's "maybe it's not so much useful for Oryx himself" :-/

damnit man. this is frankly, one of the coolest things to come out of TTK so far and I'm saying that as someone clearly judging the weapon to be quite a bit LESS powerful than you. Get on board! lol
Oryx? I was speaking about the entire raid. Not Oryx itself. Not moving goalposts at all.

The daily mission is just not fun. The taken aren't fun to fight against when Psions can multiply without limits and everyone has shields.

You can say it is difficult but difficult does not mean fun . . there is no counter to the Fallen captain big ball of darkness and it is entirely too big and fast. . I don't know how casual Destiny players will handle more difficult content. Difficult. Not fun.

But unlike Gjallarhorn, this one is 100% achieveable. And raiding is only if you want difficult content, which this is. I think it's fine.

That said for the first 3 bosses, a 310 sniper that doesn't need to reload is going to be devastating.

This fight is fucking hard and you need to get a bunch of things right for it to work.

You need to have all 3 burn types in your damage somehow.
You need to sync your heavy packs so you can use multiple in the last room.
You need to chain supers.
You need to give priority to the adds, not the boss.
You need to stay alive.
You need to have a good dps.

It's hell. I got close twice but fuck....

Shito

Damn.
Hardest.
Daily.
Ever.

Took us nearly 4 (FOUR!) hours to get this, and countless tries.
The strategy seems to really be about chaining supers and taking care of those big orbs ASAP. Protip, there's a one spawning just in front of the entrance corridor where the majority of the fight will take place, which is a bit hidden.
Winning run was with a nightstalker, a sunbreaker, and a solar warlock.
I saved the video in case anyone is interested.

If anyone is wanting to try the daily heroic thing:

PSN: LasagnaForOne

Be fun trying even if we don't get it.
Thanks A LOT man for keeping with me during all those tries.
It really felt like a mini-raid or something. ^^
Thanks to Math for those 2 tries before work, sorry we couldn't make it with you, and thanks whoever you are MiniMe637 for successfuly filling up that last slot.

Phew.
I'm exhausted.

Oh, also got the ugly ship. ^^

[EDIT]
Hahaha, and it only took the time for me to write this post while in the tower to get a first message from a random asking me where I got my exotic sniper rifle.

This fight is fucking hard and you need to get a bunch of things right for it to work.

You need to have all 3 burn types in your damage somehow.
You need to sync your heavy packs so you can use multiple in the last room.
You need to chain supers.
You need to give priority to the adds, not the boss.
You need to stay alive.
You need to have a good dps.

It's hell. I got close twice but fuck....

Let me know when you are running it again. . I want to knock this out but I have a business meeting soon

Top Bottom