• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Omni

Guys,

I kind of want to play this, but the only real MMO I've played is WoW
I'm assuming I can get the legendary release that just came out and have what I need but I had a few questions.

Is the game improved at this point?
How is it for a single player campaign?
Is it simple enough for a casual to get in on raids (I work a lot so I can't really devote a ton of time to mega long raids)

Thanks!
1) It's improved, yup. The full package is actually really solid right now. Great time to jump in.
2) The base game's campaign... is trash. It really is. It got a bit better in Crota's end, a lot better in House of Wolves, and really good in TTK. But even then, you can go through all of the campaign story missions in 10 hours or so if you wanted to and they're nothing particularly special. The main meat of this game comes from raids and strikes. Crucible too if you're into that kinda thing.
3) The first two raids are really quite accessible right now because everyone is over geared. Easily get through them in 40 minutes even if you're new. If you're interested in the new raid however, then you're looking at a big time sink.

It's worth buying. But it really is a game to play with friends more than anything.

I looked back at the video of the final room and the difference from our first failed run was using the offensive supers to clear the adds. I also learnt that I can't aim.

DPS on the boss with your guns is enough. Use the super on the adds. That is key. I amde this mistake a couple of times before realizing this.

Man, I am moving so slowly compared to the rest of you guys. I haven't even finished the story yet-- my play time is pretty limited right now and I've been happy playing without a tight focus of blowing through it.

I really dig Armsday-- got my Suros scout rifle I ordered last week and spent the few minutes I had this morning before work running through some prototypes and hitting gunsmith level 2. Got a Suros Auto Rifle for my trouble but sad it's only 240. I put in an order for a sniper rifle for next week. I think it's a nice alternate method to land some legendary weapons, especially before you reach endgame, with the cost of time and that bit of effort to complete the prototype tasks. Plus, some of those prototypes are fun diversions from the regular weapons, at least the ones I've got so far.

I guess I'll be raid ready in a month or two. ;)

E92 M3

The game has massively improved, the storylines run much smoother due to the new quest system, the gear drop system seems to work much better (I haven't been stuck at a light level for more than a few hours until I hit 290), and overall it just feels way better than it did at launch. The single player campaign is pretty good, and the new story missions for the taken king are fantastic. Destiny is more of a multiplayer game though, so having people on your friends list to run around with makes everything more fun.

Raids in Destiny usually take 1-5 hours total (depending on experience, gear, etc.), which isn't nearly as bad as what most people think when they hear about raiding. Plus, you can save checkpoints if you need to leave and then come back later in the week to continue on!

Still stuck with horrible boots >.>

I'm not gonna win any devoutness awards, but jew through and through :p

And sweet! I'm thinking I will likely be on around 10 EST, so no worries if you've done it by then.

Actually, I think I'll spend my Destiny time tonight just helping people get through this even if I can get my 3. It's such a handy account unlock with the kiosk factor.

Welcome!

From Vanilla? Just a touch, lol

Not great. The best story (and there's some REALLY good stuff) isn't presented in the game, but in outside lore cards you can access on your account. The original story missions are largely quite bland and the vanilla storyline is almost nonexistent. The Taken King's story missions are an enormous step up in all areas but it's not a meaty campaign by itself.

I run newbie raids each week rotating through the content, so you'd always be welcome to those at least. :)

Always nice to see another Jew in here lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, I am moving so slowly compared to the rest of you guys. I haven't even finished the story yet-- my play time is pretty limited right now and I've been happy playing without a tight focus of blowing through it.

I really dig Armsday-- got my Suros scout rifle I ordered last week and spent the few minutes I had this morning before work running through some prototypes and hitting gunsmith level 2. Got a Suros Auto Rifle for my trouble but sad it's only 240. I put in an order for a sniper rifle for next week. I think it's a nice alternate method to land some legendary weapons, especially before you reach endgame, with the cost of time and that bit of effort to complete the prototype tasks. Plus, some of those prototypes are fun diversions from the regular weapons, at least the ones I've got so far.

I guess I'll be raid ready in a month or two. ;)
I love Armsday too. Remember that even though he gave you gun at 240, if you wind up really liking it you can infuse it all the way to endgame.

Black spindle is way too tough, you really need to go in early with your swords and hammer on the boss before all the adds spawn non stop.

One guy needs to destroy the black orbs at all times to stop them from spawning.

Also if you're sunbreaker and stormcaller, you'll have a far easier time clearing the room than the other sub classes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can. They cost an exotic shard and glimmer. It's only got a 300 rating though compared to the 310 one you get from the daily heroic.
That still makes them awesomesauce infusion material, for newly purchased 280 vendor/kiosk gear and even 290 exotic engram drops :)

And exotic shards can effectively be purchased for 13 strange coins if you get low... pretty cool

Strider

Can you get fragments from other peoples runes or does it have to be your own? Need like 3-4 tier 2 CoO fragments but only have one stolen rune.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ran daily close to 20 times trying to get the spindle... got a monte carlo out of a legendary instead

aite destiny, you're being nice so i'll be nice too

Nirran

Guessing black spindle will be available the rest of the day today? If so going to have to try for this when I get home around 3:30 est

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I love Armsday too. Remember that even though he gave you gun at 240, if you wind up really liking it you can infuse it all the way to endgame.

And that's one of the best parts of 2.0. If you like a gun, you can make it stronger and use it forever.

That still makes them awesomesauce infusion material, for newly purchased 280 vendor/kiosk gear and even 290 exotic engram drops :)

And exotic shards can effectively be purchased for 13 strange coins if you get low... pretty cool

Indeed. I've already bought several due to have a bunch of exotic shards already. Used them as infusion material for one of my legendaries and one of my exotics.

Shito

Black spindle is way too tough, you really need to go in early with your swords and hammer on the boss before all the adds spawn non stop.

One guy needs to destroy the black orbs at all times to stop them from spawning.

Also if you're sunbreaker and stormcaller, you'll have a far easier time clearing the room than the other sub classes.
Yeah for us the key was really to focus on the adds and the orbs, taking pot shots at the boss when the room was a bit more empty.
A sniper with a good impact value will down those black orbs of doom in 4 or 5 shots.

I'm uploading our winning run to youtube for people still at work who will tackle this later on.
Will take a bit of time though, my upload is so-so. ^^

Sullichin

Really awesome that there's an exotic behind a secret part of a story mission, and I hope there's more. I'm trying to understand if this is why people are flipping their shit, or if it's because of the weapon in particular. Because with the White Nail nerf, it doesn't seem too amazing.

On another note I am glad I caved and bought Y2 Suors. Spinning Up is awesome, and I was a fan of Focused Fire before. This thing is a beast again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Doxology
me down if I'm wrong, but I simply don't see this being patched.

It's actually a little hilarious? Like... here's a guaranteed, unique reward for completing a super tough unique mission with extra completion parameters. Some people right here on GAF are spending multiple hours or 20 attempts just to get a single victory.

This is perceived to be roughly equivalent to farming Draksis 100 times in an hour and walking away with 18 exotics? lol

Shito

How did you guys get the Spindle done? I don't understand. The black balls are just too much.
Supers and sniper the balls, mainly.
As a nightstalker I was tethering the balls and shooting on them, which would damage and kill all the adds nearby while generating a lot of orbs for my teammates.

Video incoming in an hour or so. ^^

Top Bottom