• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Big thanks to Shito and Minime, took quite a few runs but we got there on that last one!

I just think it's awesome in general despite how hard it is that it is in the game, nice little gem to find.

Now I actually have a decent sniper to use at last!

Edit: I didn't realise we had been going for four hours, no way I am diving back into that for a ship!

This fight is fucking hard and you need to get a bunch of things right for it to work.

You need to have all 3 burn types in your damage somehow.
You need to sync your heavy packs so you can use multiple in the last room.
You need to chain supers.
You need to give priority to the adds, not the boss.
You need to stay alive.
You need to have a good dps.

It's hell. I got close twice but fuck....

Yes and Yes! Burn the adds then hit the boss. Adds spawn at certain segments of the boss' health.

Arc is the least important burn to have. The majority of enemies are solar and void.

j-wood

The daily mission is just not fun. The taken aren't fun to fight against when Psions can multiply without limits and everyone has shields.

You can say it is difficult but difficult does not mean fun . . there is no counter to the Fallen captain big ball of darkness and it is entirely too big and fast. . I don't know how casual Destiny players will handle more difficult content. Difficult. Not fun.

Sure there is. Jump over it with the GOAT warlock jump.

Jinjo

Yes! Black Spindle get! That was tough! Key is definitely chaining supers, one person should be on orb/add control throughout the boss. Other two DPS boss and help with adds when they can. Call it out if you can't kill something due to shields. Managed to do it with twenty seconds to spare. Went in at the boss with 6 minutes to go. Don't be stingy with supers in previous rooms as well. If you keep chaining you'll have them back up in no time. Staying alive is most important.

Also, don't wipe on the way to the Ketch. You'll miss them and the door will be closed lol.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm not at home to confirm this weirdness and I don't want to get this drowned by BS talk but has anyone noticed their armsday packages being classified on the app?

The daily mission is just not fun. The taken aren't fun to fight against when Psions can multiply without limits and everyone has shields.

You can say it is difficult but difficult does not mean fun . . there is no counter to the Fallen captain big ball of darkness and it is entirely too big and fast. . I don't know how casual Destiny players will handle more difficult content. Difficult. Not fun.

Worst mechanic in the game.

Us Titans get a Blind Bubble, but Taken Captains get to throw Blind Bubbles all day.

Guys,

I kind of want to play this, but the only real MMO I've played is WoW
I'm assuming I can get the legendary release that just came out and have what I need but I had a few questions.

Is the game improved at this point?
How is it for a single player campaign?
Is it simple enough for a casual to get in on raids (I work a lot so I can't really devote a ton of time to mega long raids)

Thanks!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Guys,

I'm assuming I can get the legendary release that just came out and have what I need but I had a few questions.

Is it simple enough for a casual to get in on raids (I work a lot so I can't really devote a ton of time to mega long raids)

Thanks!
youre better off asking in the gaming thread. This thread is getting drowned out by secret weapon talk.

Shito

Sorry phenom, just now see your friend request. :/
I'm adding you for future Destiny goodness. ^^

Big thanks to Shito and Minime, took quite a few runs but we got there on that last one!

I just think it's awesome in general despite how hard it is that it is in the game, nice little gem to find.

Now I actually have a decent sniper to use at last!

Edit: I didn't realise we had been going for four hours, no way I am diving back into that for a ship!
Yeah, the hours flew by, only realized when taking a look at what time it was after we got this.
I'm so exhausted.
Jumped on this when waking up and seeing this popping on GAF, now I need a good shower and some cooking time to calm myself down... Promised my gf a curry so off I go.
Good luck GAF, will upload our winning fight in the meantime, if that can help.

DNAbro

Guys,

Thanks!

yes the game is vastly improved and streamlined, much more rewarding.

The new single-player campaign is great, the old stuff is a bit more dull but it's not bad.

The first 2 raids don't take long at all, the new one may take a heavy time sink.

Let me know when you are running it again. . I want to knock this out but I have a business meeting soon

At work for the next 5 hours, but I need to get this done today.

Yes and Yes! Burn the adds then hit the boss. Adds spawn at certain segments of the boss' health.

Arc is the least important burn to have. The majority of enemies are solar and void.

This sucks because arc is currently my strongest burn. Also, it's easy to clear a side of the room with stormtrance. Wizards are void. Knights are solar. The cabal centurion that rarelly spawns is the only arc shield in the final room.

Also, stormtrance + stag + the 2 skill that let you charge it faster is amazing for this fight.

Bravo to Bungie for the Black Spindle. That is hilarious. Kind of wish it had the non nerfed perk but it will still be somewhat useful this way. At the very least you can buy it at the blueprint at 300. All secondaries will be 300 from here on out for me.

Thanks to Jinjo and bitofadrizzle for inviting me in

Voror

I'll be online to get the spindle around 5pm Eastern.

301 warlock

PSN Afrodeeziyak

I'd be up for it if you'll have me. I'm a 245 Hunter though so that may be too low to be of help to you. Just let me know.

PSN MrDresden

I've already got you on friends list.

Namikaze1

Fucking screen went black after coming to the end of the hallway. Fucking hell. Waited 5 minutes and still black. Had to go back to orbit because of it.

Hmm I didn't know enough about the encounter to know that it was just a freak out.

I won't go home for lunch especially since it sounds super tough and unsuccessful for many. I'll try when I get home. 6 hours from now.

Arrrammis

Guys,

Thanks!

The game has massively improved, the storylines run much smoother due to the new quest system, the gear drop system seems to work much better (I haven't been stuck at a light level for more than a few hours until I hit 290), and overall it just feels way better than it did at launch. The single player campaign is pretty good, and the new story missions for the taken king are fantastic. Destiny is more of a multiplayer game though, so having people on your friends list to run around with makes everything more fun.

Raids in Destiny usually take 1-5 hours total (depending on experience, gear, etc.), which isn't nearly as bad as what most people think when they hear about raiding. Plus, you can save checkpoints if you need to leave and then come back later in the week to continue on!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you're Jewish? the fasting begins! i'll play with you in Daily tonight. we can try.
I'm not gonna win any devoutness awards, but jew through and through :p

And sweet! I'm thinking I will likely be on around 10 EST, so no worries if you've done it by then.

Actually, I think I'll spend my Destiny time tonight just helping people get through this even if I can get my 3. It's such a handy account unlock with the kiosk factor.
Guys,

Welcome!

From Vanilla? Just a touch, lol
Not great. The best story (and there's some REALLY good stuff) isn't presented in the game, but in outside lore cards you can access on your account. The original story missions are largely quite bland and the vanilla storyline is almost nonexistent. The Taken King's story missions are an enormous step up in all areas but it's not a meaty campaign by itself.
I run newbie raids each week rotating through the content, so you'd always be welcome to those at least. :)

Yes! Black Spindle get! That was tough! Key is definitely chaining supers, one person should be on orb/add control throughout the boss. Other two DPS boss and help with adds when they can. Call it out if you can't kill something due to shields. Managed to do it with twenty seconds to spare. Went in at the boss with 6 minutes to go. Don't be stingy with supers in previous rooms as well. If you keep chaining you'll have them back up in no time. Staying alive is most important.

Also, don't wipe on the way to the Ketch. You'll miss them and the door will be closed lol.

I looked back at the video of the final room and the difference from our first failed run was using the offensive supers to clear the adds. I also learnt that I can't aim.

Achamian

I'm 288 hunter. High enough for black spindle? Guessing supercell, stillpiercer and void mg would be a good setup? Supercell for the adds and tether with explode as super. Stillpiercer for the boss and void or arc mg if needed for either?

Top Bottom