• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So the element of Legendary Sword we picked from Shaxx early on, will be the exact same element we get for the exotic?

Yes.

Arc sword > the rest, imo. Being able to use sword at range - AND have it be a high attack AOE... its kinda stronk

Kalamari

Supposedly just doing the heroic daily without wiping until the end where the ketch doors open, and killing everything before the 10 minute countdown is up is good enough haha

Oh, damn. I thought you had to have the part from the dismantled BH.

Who wants to do this now? I need mah Black Spindle.

Rehsa

Some random thoughts from the past couple days of play:

The engram / light system continues to edge me upward every day - now at 274. I've been impressed that I have not hit a wall of any sort so far. It's a long, steady progression with the occasional burst forward with a good drop. I think they mostly fixed progression in year 2.

The allocation of legendary marks across activities is...weird. I run the daily story missions for 15 marks per day, and those are kind of tough so they feel earned. I just did my first daily Crucible match (3rd game ever). I started out with 3 kills without dying, then two people on my team quit, the others began running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and it was a mercy rule ending before half the match was over. But I still got the marks. So, I guess it's points for participation in PvP? I'll take'em but it felt very unearned. By comparison, 10 marks for a weekly Heroic strike is awful stingy, though there are of course other rewards for them. I guess getting bludgeoned into the ground with randoms will be part of my daily ritual for marks. :lol

It felt good to get over 280 last night just trying to finish the patrol quests. I still have yet to do either strike, any heroic strikes, or CoO. I seemed to have zero marks too because of this, so the dailies and then the weekly crucible put me up there, still have one more weekly crucible win to go too

Hustler

A buddy of mine and I are looking to get the black spindle tonight. We'll be paying around 8:30 or 9pm EST. Anyone interested in joining?

PSN: Doorakz
Current level ~279

purg3

slept with Malkin
Missing exotics primary so far include No Time to Explain and The First Curse.

I'm betting that No Time to Explain is tied to the Stranger's Rifle and to a quest to trigger it. Doesn't the strangers rifle cost 25 marks to upgrade to year one max level. I don't think other year one guns do that, do they?

rc213

That's crazy so after you obtain you can just buy more copies for 2500 glimmer and infuse everything in your arsenal to 300 light!!!

/looks at 200 axiom beads and 4 x 5000 glimmer jewels from HoW in Vault :)

youre better off asking in the gaming thread. This thread is getting drowned out by secret weapon talk.

yes the game is vastly improved and streamlined, much more rewarding.

The new single-player campaign is great, the old stuff is a bit more dull but it's not bad.

The first 2 raids don't take long at all, the new one may take a heavy time sink.

The game has massively improved, the storylines run much smoother due to the new quest system, the gear drop system seems to work much better (I haven't been stuck at a light level for more than a few hours until I hit 290), and overall it just feels way better than it did at launch. The single player campaign is pretty good, and the new story missions for the taken king are fantastic. Destiny is more of a multiplayer game though, so having people on your friends list to run around with makes everything more fun.

Raids in Destiny usually take 1-5 hours total (depending on experience, gear, etc.), which isn't nearly as bad as what most people think when they hear about raiding. Plus, you can save checkpoints if you need to leave and then come back later in the week to continue on!

I'm not gonna win any devoutness awards, but jew through and through :p

And sweet! I'm thinking I will likely be on around 10 EST, so no worries if you've done it by then.

Actually, I think I'll spend my Destiny time tonight just helping people get through this even if I can get my 3. It's such a handy account unlock with the kiosk factor.

Welcome!

From Vanilla? Just a touch, lol

Not great. The best story (and there's some REALLY good stuff) isn't presented in the game, but in outside lore cards you can access on your account. The original story missions are largely quite bland and the vanilla storyline is almost nonexistent. The Taken King's story missions are an enormous step up in all areas but it's not a meaty campaign by itself.

I run newbie raids each week rotating through the content, so you'd always be welcome to those at least. :)

1) It's improved, yup. The full package is actually really solid right now. Great time to jump in.
2) The base game's campaign... is trash. It really is. It got a bit better in Crota's end, a lot better in House of Wolves, and really good in TTK. But even then, you can go through all of the campaign story missions in 10 hours or so if you wanted to and they're nothing particularly special. The main meat of this game comes from raids and strikes. Crucible too if you're into that kinda thing.
3) The first two raids are really quite accessible right now because everyone is over geared. Easily get through them in 40 minutes even if you're new. If you're interested in the new raid however, then you're looking at a big time sink.

It's worth buying. But it really is a game to play with friends more than anything.

Thanks to everyone for the details, I appreciate it very much!

exYle

I'm betting that No Time to Explain is tied to the Stranger's Rifle and to a quest to trigger it. Doesn't the strangers rifle cost 25 marks to upgrade to year one max level. I don't think other year one guns do that, do they?

That's a good point... I'm gonna test that.

Frenden

Banned
I keep missing out on Spindle runs--anyone need a second or third? (I know some are looking to keep it down to two as it apparently scales difficulty?)

PSN FRENDEN

Werd

With a 300 and 301 in a group with me (294) it still took us until under 15 seconds to finish that room off. I'm sure there are people clearing it with minutes to spare and there will be some strategy to do it properly, but yeah... really hard to get shots off on the boss with so many constantly spawning mobs. I was mostly just on mop up duty trying to clear all the psions and such so the others could focus on the boss/bigger targets.

Cool content though and raised me just under 296. Time for the raid!

Top Bottom