• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Jee, I wonder what weapon I should use.

WFgnxDG.png

stb

If Kabr wanted it pronounced Ka-BEER, he should have had a vowel in there.

Yes. "Ka beer" makes no sense. Maybe someone that knows more languages can chime in, but I can't think of any words in any languages I'm even remotely familiar with, when romanized (if necessary), inject a vowel sound.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is it necessary to do scourge of winter on heroic?

Edit: TY for quick reply!
It's not even necessary to do scourge of winter! haha. I hope everyone gets how this works conceptually- cause lots of us are gonna wanna keep usin' em after this overuse is patched. it's just any ultra boss, anywhere in the game, difficulty has no impact. there's nothing special about the specific spots being advised except being able to reach the bosses and kill yourself/with the boss and respawn quickly.

Cleared the first two raid bosses in a destinyLFG pug, if you are hesitant I'd say just go for it its not that hard really and fun to see something new. Everyone was light 285-289 and we had no issues due to that.

The more titans you have for the first boss the better. You want to have a constant bubble up in the middle to protect people dropping their debuff, we had 2 and had it chained the entire time. With 3 or 4 titans it would be a joke.

The weapon and armor drops were all starting at light 303 and went up to 306 for second boss, I didn't get anything but a few people got stuff. We also got that item from every boss that when its at a 20 stack you get extra loot from Oryx.

ocean

Banned
I had the craziest thought right before I crashed last night. I never thought I'd be saying this, but for me personally I feel like TTK lived up to the hype even without the raid. If'n this one is good then hooooo boy
OB8GSle.gif
I don't know how far along I am.
I haven't yet managed to defeat the first boss
This is already the absolute best thing in the game

It's not even necessary to do scourge of winter! haha. I hope everyone gets how this works conceptually- cause lots of us are gonna wanna keep usin' em after this overuse is patched. it's just any ultra boss, anywhere in the game, difficulty has no impact. there's nothing special about the specific spots being advised except being able to reach the bosses and kill yourself/with the boss and respawn quickly.
Not interested in using the cheese but are all bosses ultras? Are any ultras non-bosses?

Axoman

Yes. "Ka beer" makes no sense. Maybe someone that knows more languages can chime in, but I can't think of any words in any languages I'm even remotely familiar with, when romanized (if necessary), inject a vowel sound.

Only thing I can think of that is close to this is Brett Favre. I'm not a cunning linguist so I don't know if it's the e in Favre that causes it to be pronounced Farv.

hawkain, it almost sounds like your encouraging this. your the last person Id expect to do that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not interested in using the cheese but are all bosses ultras? Are any ultras non-bosses?
Good man!

And I'm not positive if all bosses are but the vast majority are.

And non-boss ultras, i.e. Wolf Walker in Shadow Thief for example, do count as ultras Grimoire wise but do not consume the 3oC buff.

MrDaravon

Used 95 ToC's, don't have it in me to do anymore right now haha. Total haul:

Hawkmoon
Telestro x2
Hereafter
Knucklehead Radar
Empyrean Bellicose
Sealed Ahamkara Grasps
Ruin Wings
Young Ahamkara's Spine
Skyburner's Annex
Graviton Forfeit
Claws of Ahamkara
Chest of Alpha Lupi x2 (Hunter, different elemental resists)
Chest of Alpha Lupi (Titan)
Zhalo Supercell
Helm of Inmost Light

Pretty solid haul. Was really only hoping for the Graviton Forfeit (so I can keep Keen Scout but still get access to Sidestep) and weapons.

Bladelaw

Scourge of Winter is a generic mission on Venus around level 14 I think. The boss is Draksis Kell of Winter. He's the Ultra you'll be spending time killing and dying with.

stb

Only thing I can think of that is close to this is Brett Favre. I'm not a cunning linguist so I don't know if it's the e in Favre that causes it to be pronounced Farv.

Favre is a French surname; his family just says it wrong.

I went to elementary school with a girl who had the last name "Horr". She insisted it was "Haw", but that's only so she wasn't called "Whore" all the time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hawkain, it almost sounds like your encouraging this. your the last person Id expect to do that.
Hell no. Follow my posting on the topic back to the single digit pages and you'll see I'm against it conceptually, and won't be doing it at all personally.

I'm just also a realist and know people are gonna do it anyway (the call of the path of least resistance is too strong) and don't like misinformation

I encourage people NOT to do it, it's... joyless, and super cheesy, IMO. The 3oC work great on strikes that get you tooons of useful loot at the same time.

Cleared the first two raid bosses in a destinyLFG pug, if you are hesitant I'd say just go for it its not that hard really and fun to see something new. Everyone was light 285-289 and we had no issues due to that.

The more titans you have for the first boss the better. You want to have a constant bubble up in the middle to protect people dropping their debuff, we had 2 and had it chained the entire time. With 3 or 4 titans it would be a joke.

The weapon and armor drops were all starting at light 303 and went up to 306 for second boss, I didn't get anything but a few people got stuff. We also got that item from every boss that when its at a 20 stack you get extra loot from Oryx.

Was the sequence the same each time? For Boss

shermas

I did the ToC thing for a little while just now... got:

- Hawkmoon
- Suros
- Zhalo Supercell
- Crest of Alpha
- Helm of Light
- Empyrean Bellicose
- Taikonaut

- And some gloves for my hunter.

No dupes, though, which is pretty awesome. I REALLY want the Year 2 St.14... might just use my marks to buy those.

Eight exotic drops and I think I used about 50 ToC packs.

void666

Banned
When i get home i'll try zydron instead of draksis. I have the checkpoint and there's a cozy cheese spot where i can snipe his juice box.

Dalek

I'm not doing the trick-but rather just running the strikes normally-popping a coin right before the boss fight. 4 strikes in a row and I haven't had an exotic drop from the bosses yet-am I doing this right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not doing the trick-but rather just running the strikes normally-popping a coin right before the boss fight. 4 strikes in a row and I haven't had an exotic drop from the bosses yet-am I doing this right?
I've seen so much of this and it blows my mind!

Short answer: yes you're doing it right. You can pop the coin whenever btw, at the start of the strike is fine.

I wanna answer this with something of a philosophical question if that's okay with you though: how many bosses do you personally feel you should have to kill before getting a guaranteed exotic?

Good man!

And I'm not positive if all bosses are but the vast majority are.

And non-boss ultras, i.e. Wolf Walker in Shadow Thief for example, do count as ultras Grimoire wise but do not consume the 3oC buff.
Cool. Is there a time limit on the effect once used or does it stick until an ultra is defeated or until the end of an activity?

Yes. Your odds aren't that high unless you stack 5 coins at once. The "cheese" works well because you can repeatedly kill a boss. Even though one coin is less chance than 5 coins stack, you can rinse a repeat it so fast, it becomes a more efficient use of your coins than stacking 5 at once and killing a one boss with a higher drop chance. Better to quickly kill many bosses with 1 coin spent per kill.

Top Bottom