• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

LiK

not sure if spoiler or not since Luke just said it on twitter but trash mobs
will drop engrams, consumables etc
. new to this raid.

I've seen so much of this and it blows my mind!

Short answer: yes you're doing it right. You can pop the coin whenever btw, at the start of the strike is fine.

I wanna answer this with something of a philosophical question if that's okay with you though: how many bosses do you personally feel you should have to kill before getting a guaranteed exotic?

How many have you killed in the last year and got nothing is a better question.

LkPr

Twitch raid info
Goth's group looks to have the Golgoroth mechanics worked out. They just got his to 25% health then decided to wipe. Only 6 deaths allowed during the fight is tough

Lnkn52

For new page:

7RVN6F1.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes. Your odds aren't that high unless you stack 5 coins at once.
Huh. Is there aaaany evidence that this works?

The UI absolutely does not indicate that more than one consumable has any effect- and indeed, if the presumably best fix is implemented for the cheese (a consume cooldown), it won't be possible, anyway

So while I'm waiting for the servers to come back. I start the mission, use a coin, kill him and myself together, start at the checkpoint, use another coin.

Is this right?

Lee

Goth and Broman figured out the ogre fight. It's working really well. If anyone is interested in a write up let me know. They haven't beat it yet but were pretty damn close.

Cruxist

This is the first raid that's launching while I'm a gainfully employed adult.

Watching these streams is making me crazy nervous. I'm super excited to do it, but I'm also super fearful of how long it will take.

Won't be an issue for a while though, I'm sitting at 240 light right now.

zewone

I've seen so much of this and it blows my mind!

Short answer: yes you're doing it right. You can pop the coin whenever btw, at the start of the strike is fine.

I wanna answer this with something of a philosophical question if that's okay with you though: how many bosses do you personally feel you should have to kill before getting a guaranteed exotic?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just got home from work, is the Scourge of Winter ToC thing still working and the best method for exotic engrams?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait what do you mean? seems like a totally irrelevant question rather than a better one.

It's not in anyone's best interest for the 3oC to guarantee "1 exotic per x strikes." I'll just leave it at that.

zewone

Wait what do you mean? seems like a totally irrelevant question rather than a better one.

It's not in anyone's best interest for the 3oC to guarantee "1 exotic per x strikes." I'll just leave it at that.

You're against guaranteed exotics in x strikes, but are okay with Xur who gives guaranteed exotics every weekend?

Huh. Is there aaaany evidence that this works?

The UI absolutely does not indicate that more than one consumable has any effect- and indeed, if the presumably best fix is implemented for the cheese (a consume cooldown), it won't be possible, anyway

Reddit tests show you can stack multiple. People who stacked 7 apparently got a drop at the 90%+ rate, but other peoples data shows it is a waste of coins in the long run when you can kill the boss over and over with one coin so quickly and get a better average drop per coin spent. Edit: The data is all pretty tentative and with the mad rush to cash in a lot of misinformation is being relayed so take this with a grain of salt.

DeeJ already posted on reddit and said it is getting fixed, but no one is getting penalized and to enjoy it while you can. Seems like it won't be a hotfix and maybe will get fixed Monday.

Well, good morning, Reddit!

I was just conferring with the Design Team about how Three of Coins is performing in the wild. It is their assessment, and yours as well, given the context of the dialogue here, that the drop rates are too damn high. For now, this will play in your favor...

You earned those coins. Have fun spending them. The Nine may be delighted that you're blowing them all now.

As always, thanks for being an outstanding source of feedback and awareness. We like you just fine.

DeeJ, out.

Lee

Id like to know :)

Two guys are drawing agro. They are up top and accross from eachother. First one snipes ogre's back crit spot and draws his agro. This person needs to stay alive by shooting the purple seekers while letting the other guy know how much time is left on the agro timer. At a few seconds left, the other guy takes the agro with a snipe to his back, stays alive, and counts down. You can swap back and forth like three times each (six agros total) before his back closes and that is one cycle. If one fails to take the crit and the timer expires, that ends the cycle.

The other four guys need to know that the ogre is going to be facing whoever had him agro, so they need to drop the light ball, whichever will be in front of him, and stand in the pool of light and unload into his open stomach crit spot.

So two guys pass his agro back and forth, the other four drop the light balls from the ceiling, stand in the pool it creates in front of the agro ogre, and DPS. Takes a lot of coordination but it's not that crazy. After each cycle, kill adds, and repeat. 6 deaths = wipe. The ogre will enrage after 3 cycles.

Two guys are drawing agro. They are up top and accross from eachother. First one snipes ogre's back crit spot and draws his agro. This person needs to stay alive by shooting the purple seekers while letting the other guy know how much time is left on the agro timer. At a few seconds left, the other guy takes the agro with a snipe to his back, stays alive, and counts down. You can swap back and forth like this four or six times before his back closes and that is one cycle.

The other four guys need to know that the ogre is going to be facing whoever had him agro, so they need to drop the light ball, whichever will be in front of him, and stand in the pool of light and unload into his open stomach crit spot.

So two guys pass his agro back and forth, the other four drop the light balls from the ceiling, stand in the pool it creates in front of the agro ogre, and DPS. Takes a lot of coordination but it's not that crazy. After each cycle, kill adds, and repeat. 6 deaths = wipe. The ogre will enrage after 3 or so full cycles.

Ahh nicee. Sounds challenging. Thank you :)

Man i was right in the middle of a PoE, good thing I saved my treasure keys; guaranteed 3 strange coins from the queens chest along with anywhere between 0-4 from the small chest I'v been gettin rough 5-7 strange coins a PoE

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You're against guaranteed exotics in x strikes
...yes, and just assuming from the second part of your question that you have no idea why: this is variable, adjustable ratio reinforcment versus fixed ratio which is just all-around better design for what the Three of Coins buff is attempting to accomplish. I am a big fan of how the 3oC work, right now, except for being able to use 5 per minute or whatever.
but are okay with Xur who gives guaranteed exotics every weekend?
I don't have any issue whatsoever with there being a vendor that sells exotics for currency.

Xur is an absolutely critical part of the game for casual players. I don't want to rehash OT8 arguments but I'm more than okay with it. He is responsible for a good portion of Destiny's success as a game for many different types of players.

Dalek

Yes. Your odds aren't that high unless you stack 5 coins at once. The "cheese" works well because you can repeatedly kill a boss. Even though one coin is less chance than 5 coins stack, you can rinse a repeat it so fast, it becomes a more efficient use of your coins than stacking 5 at once and killing a one boss with a higher drop chance. Better to quickly kill many bosses with 1 coin spent per kill.

It worked! On the 5th boss, I got an exotic drop.

Exactly! I was starved of exotics last year. I was hoping to get a good Exotic weapon from this drop but it's gauntlets. I won't complain!

Was the sequence the same each time? For Boss

the sequence gets highlighted on the back of the big rune thingies. Its different each time.

We sort of cheesed the second boss, we just kept dying to the red death debuff and rezzing each other. Obviously won't work in hard mode, haha. Also weapons of light helps a lot, once you get buff x4 + WoL you are doing like 50k sniper shots.

Top Bottom