• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Ophelion

I mean I agree, but I also like the sense of earning things, as it feels better then exploiting something when using said gun.

If this was still Year One, I would be full-on for Team Cheese, but since it seems like all or nearly all exotics can be earned through quests and "smart loot" seems to actually be smart this time, I'm leaning more toward Team Earned.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reddit tests show you can stack multiple. People who stacked 7 apparently got a drop at the 90%+ rate, but other peoples data shows it is a waste of coins in the long run when you can kill the boss over and over with one coin so quickly and get a better average drop per coin spent. Edit: The data is all pretty tentative and with the mad rush to cash in a lot of misinformation is being relayed so take this with a grain of salt.
Interesting. 7 coins per kill is just too rich for my blood but I do hope someone puts some data together.
DeeJ already posted on reddit and said it is getting fixed, but no one is getting penalized and to enjoy it while you can. Seems like it won't be a hotfix and maybe will get fixed Monday.
:( Altering the drop rate would be a poor solution IMO.aww

Lee

I hope oryx stops them in their tracks

Me too but, to be fair, there is a reason they are top streamers. They can be obnoxious, but they've stayed really positive and persistent. I have a slow day at work and have been streaming since 10. Datto's stream, which I've checked out a few times, is super negative. Yelling at teammates for mistakes. The Planet Destiny stream got boring, to be honest, and they weren't willing to commit to new things to figure them out. Just kind of stopped and read people's spoilers in the chat from other streams. Broman and Goth are really smashing their heads into the wall and staying positive.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Me too but, to be fair, there is a reason they are top streamers. They can be obnoxious, but they've stayed really positive and persistent. I have a slow day at work and have been streaming since 10. Datto's stream, which I've checked out a few times, is super negative. Yelling at teammates for mistakes. The Planet Destiny stream got boring, to be honest, and they weren't willing to commit to new things to figure them out. Just kind of stopped and read people's spoilers in the chat from other streams. Broman and Goth are really smashing their heads into the wall and staying positive.
positive stubbornness is a good motivator. I'll take that with me tonight when I do the raid

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkmoon year 2 is really really nice. 11 shots, 3 of which do bonus damage.
Wait does Hawkmoon Year 2 really only have 11? Year 1 says 11 in the stat screen but it's still 13.

HOWEVER, this is a huge buff either way: you can tell when you fire a bonus shot now.

If you have fired all 3, reload immediately.

If you have fired 2 (which can potentially be all three without you knowing it, 2 can stack), and still have 7 or more (5 or more if it's really 11) rounds remaining in the mag, reload immediately.

Your total percentage of bonus shots will be much higher than it was before the 2.0 patch

MrDaravon

Yeah, they should either just add a cooldown, or make it not work on story bosses. Lowering the odds just penalizes the vast majority of players who don't have enormous stockpiles of Strange Coins. Ideally they should probably just remove it working from Story bosses, would likely further incentivize people doing the strike playlists since with would work well in conjunction with the strike streak bonus or whatever that is. If they add a timer people are just going to idle. I'm not this serious about it, but if they just add say at 5 minute timer I'm just going to idle in orbit while doing something on my PC etc. They can't/shouldn't have a timer more than 5 minutes because you can clear the easy low level strikes like Nexus Mind at around 6-7 minutes, so you'd be penalizing that. Just removing the ability for it to work on story bosses seems to be the best option IMO.

Agreed, they should just put a 15 minute cooldown on the 3 of Coins

Yeah, a cooldown should trigger after each kill. That way you can still stack. They should make the cooldown just under the average time to complete a strike so you can use them on strikes, probably as intended.

zewone

Wait does Hawkmoon Year 2 really only have 11? Year 1 says 11 in the stat screen but it's still 13.

HOWEVER, this is a huge buff either way: you can tell when you fire a bonus shot now.

If you have fired all 3, reload immediately.

If you have fired 2 (which can potentially be all three without you knowing it, 2 can stack), and still have 7 or more (5 or more if it's really 11) rounds remaining in the mag, reload immediately.

Your total percentage of bonus shots will be much higher than it was before the 2.0 patch
Holding Aces perk is supposed to add 2 to the magazine. I think it's glitched.

xmoIH83.png

SZips

I've actually taken to watching ProfessorBroman's brother, Teawrex, if I need a Destiny stream fix. He's far more mellow and far less gimmicky than Broman or Goth. Thing is with today's stream, they're obviously all raiding together so you'll hear everyone in a single stream regardless.

Eric WK

Just got home from work, is the Scourge of Winter ToC thing still working and the best method for exotic engrams?

Damn, missed you all day. I'll be back in a few hours if you want to get a raid group together. Chapel and folks aren't starting until 10 pacific and fuck that.

And yeah I had way better luck with Exotic Engrams from Scourge of Winter than running heroic strikes and popping coins each boss.

Lee

Someone Pm me an explanation of the first boss encounter. We mostly understand but seem to be missing something.

Someone needs to stand at each of the totems to the side. They will get a shield that lasts like 30 seconds. At the end of that timer, they give the shield to whoever is closest (think Skolas fight). The others can be in the center on the plate spawning adds until the boss comes. So, people need to stay on the center plate and each of the totems as much as possible, and whoever has the countdown needs to call out so someone can come meet them to take the shield. You might need to alternate who takes the shield, I can't remember. Tell me if I'm wrong, I watched two stream teams do it and that seemed to be everything.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, they should either just add a cooldown, or make it not work on story bosses. Lowering the odds just penalizes the vast majority of players who don't have enormous stockpiles of Strange Coins. Ideally they should probably just remove it working from Story bosses, would likely further incentivize people doing the strike playlists since with would work well in conjunction with the strike streak bonus or whatever that is. If they add a timer people are just going to idle. I'm not this serious about it, but if they just add say at 5 minute timer I'm just going to idle in orbit while doing something on my PC etc. They can't/shouldn't have a timer more than 5 minutes because you can clear the easy low level strikes like Nexus Mind at around 6-7 minutes, so you'd be penalizing that. Just removing the ability for it to work on story bosses seems to be the best option IMO.
Make it 10 minutes then. By the time you get to the Nexus again you can pop another. :p

Right now, the Three of Coins is a viable tool even for solo players who don't want to do strikes. I think that's a count in its favor. Furthermore with your solution, coordinated fireteams could still do this cheese on Strike bosses, in effect just restricting the benefits to a smaller subset of players. The current rate of being able to consume the buff for a dice roll is the problem.

shenze

Banned
I bought 12 engrams from Xur and I got FOUR STAGS!!!!!!

Xur clearly didn't get the letter in the mail about the smart loot...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holding Aces perk is supposed to add 2 to the magazine. I think it's glitched.

xmoIH83.png
Works fine on the Year 1 version- it has an actual mag of 13. I haven't held a Year 2 one yet so I don't know if it's the case or not for that :<
Adding a cool down timer to a consumable that stacks to increase your chances sounds like a bad idea.
If that really works and it's supposed to work like that, the cooldown just needs to start upon consuming the buff (ultra kill) versus using the item.

bitsurugi

Our group is working
Golgoroth
now. Been doing a really awesome blind run so far. No info read whatsoever and we figured things out really quickly.

Loving the raid so far, it's the best raid ever made by Bungie.

Edit: got a sweet looking rocket launcher. With tripod <3

purg3

slept with Malkin
Bought 3 helmet engrams, and I guess the game knew I really wanted Saint 14 because it gave me 3 of them...in a row.

Bought 2 more and got mask of the third man and knucklehead radar...

Someone needs to stand at each of the totems to the side. They will get a shield that lasts like 30 seconds. At the end of that timer, they give the shield to whoever is closest (think Skolas fight). The others can be in the center on the plate spawning adds until the boss comes. So, people need to stay on the center plate and each of the totems as much as possible, and whoever has the countdown needs to call out so someone can come meet them to take the shield. You might need to alternate who takes the shield, I can't remember. Tell me if I'm wrong, I watched two stream teams do it and that seemed to be everything.

It's a buff not a shield and there doesn't seem to be a way to pass it

shenze

Banned
Bought 3 helmet engrams, and I guess the game knew I really wanted Saint 14 because it gave me 3 of them...in a row.

Bought 2 more and got mask of the third man and knucklehead radar...
Same thing happened to me, I got four stags, three of them in a row, odd how I also got third man and knucklehead.

squadr0n

Hey Destiny Gaf, Ive pretty much done all the solo content. Im at level 40 and 239 light with my Warlock. If anyone is trying to do any of the group content and needs another person please send me an invite. Espically for the Taken War quests and Heroic Strike.

My PSN name is Squadon on PS4.

GlamFM

Banned
I know you think your Raid is super cool, but I have some REAL work to do here.

I feel like I´m not making progress anymore. Most of you moved way past me and almost every quest I have to do is too hard to solo.

Here´s what I have to do:

poRvT6g.png

6rJFmdk.png

Sr28P0r.png

Who is roughly in the same spot and wants to play catch-up with me?

I´m game NOW ;)

Works fine on the Year 1 version- it has an actual mag of 13. I haven't held a Year 2 one yet so I don't know if it's the case or not for that :<

If that really works and it's supposed to work like that, the cooldown just needs to start upon consuming the buff (ultra kill) versus using the item.

I have a year 2 Hawkmoon and it has 13 in the magazine.

kidko

Just read all about the 3 of coins then realized I have a grand total of 27 strange coins across 3 chars. Ugh why did I buy horn 1.0 and the ram

squadr0n

I feel like I´m not making progress anymore. Most of you moved way past me and almost every quest I have to do is too hard to solo.

poRvT6g.png

6rJFmdk.png

Sr28P0r.png

I´m game NOW ;)

Are you on PS4? I have exactly the same quests to do

Hell no. Follow my posting on the topic back to the single digit pages and you'll see I'm against it conceptually, and won't be doing it at all personally.

I'm just also a realist and know people are gonna do it anyway (the call of the path of least resistance is too strong) and don't like misinformation

I encourage people NOT to do it, it's... joyless, and super cheesy, IMO. The 3oC work great on strikes that get you tooons of useful loot at the same time.

good to hear, sorry to have doubted you.

BokehKing

Banned

poRvT6g.png

6rJFmdk.png

Sr28P0r.png

I´m game NOW ;)
I'll be home in an hour

PSN devilsadvocat631
Just as far behind as you

so
hoooooo

me and thing called on the powers of LFG (XBO-style) and got like

a smidgen past the first real checkpoint.

THAT
JUMP
PUZZLE

Took me straight up an hour. Didn't get any cool loot aside from mats but still. BEEN THERE!!!

Top Bottom