• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Helms are definitely the hardest to get, either farm Draksis for infusing or buy one

I bought the helmet engram from Brother Ives and ended up with a 274 artifact.

FXi7sTt.gif

Can't help but laugh.

With most of the mechanics explained from the raid. Anyone up to start raiding today?

290+ seems to be a fair light level to start it.

If anyone is up for that let me know and we can organize a group.

From what I read 295 is almost mandatory to do ANY damage on Oryx.

Yup seems like it. Until the second boss we had a 284 and the highest was 294, we had no problems there. Called it a night there though.

From what I read 295 is almost mandatory to do ANY damage on Oryx.

Depending on drops you might get closer as you progress through the raid, so I'd say give it a shot if you're around 290. If nothing else you can start collecting the shards for getting better loot in future runs.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I started my warlock just now.

Went to level 40 by doing first quest and stormcaller quest. Had to turn in daily packages and some bounties but not all.

Transferred my best weapons from main.

Equipped Light Beyond Nemesis year two which is best overall exotic helm for Warlocks.
Used a sublime engram and got something. Infused it with a 290+ Titan glove blue.
Went and got my Monarchy exotic class item.
Bought a vanguard shell.
Got two blue engrams and turned them into chest and leg pieces.

All in all in less than one hour I got my new warlock to 276 light in no time. I love it.

Zocano

I can't take post like this seriously and I'm pretty good at pve. The issue is, its not fun needing the entire team to be good, to get pissed when you hear the ghost say "guardian down!", its toxic for everyone and to want that type of experience is a little odd. There should be enough room for helping weaker team mates and managing with at least half the team being really good.

I am fine with playing with not-as-skilled players but if you're there to raid then you should be prepared to get good or don't play.

But a raid should require everyone being competent at their jobs. It's what I like about this raid, everyone has a role and has to do it. You slack? You cause a wipe.

Klyka

Banned
I can't take post like this seriously and I'm pretty good at pve. The issue is, its not fun needing the entire team to be good, to get pissed when you hear the ghost say "guardian down!", its toxic for everyone and to want that type of experience is a little odd. There should be enough room for helping weaker team mates and managing with at least half the team being really good.

There is actually a difference between being elitist and acting like a dick.
I think the kind of elitism in regard to this raid is not "your K/D must be this high to raid" but instead it's "are you dedicated enough to figure this shit out,wipe on it for possibly hours and STILL bring your best every try?".

No one wants you to be the best player ever, but you need to be someone who is willing to learn and someone who is willing to get told "you are doing it wrong".

my "personal elitism" is that I want to raid with those kind of players, not with "yo brah i'm just here for phat lootz, don't tell me how to play" players.

Zocano

There is actually a difference between being elitist and acting like a dick.
I think the kind of elitism in regard to this raid is not "your K/D must be this high to raid" but instead it's "are you dedicated enough to figure this shit out,wipe on it for possibly hours and STILL bring your best every try?".

No one wants you to be the best player ever, but you need to be someone who is willing to learn and someone who is willing to get told "you are doing it wrong".

my "personal elitism" is that I want to raid with those kind of players, not with "yo brah i'm just here for phat lootz, don't tell me how to play" players.

this is more succinct and without my coating of snobbishness.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Draksis drop rate is almost a perfect 1 in 5 for me. 29 tries netted me 6 engrams, 3 of which ended up being for my alt Titan. Maybe this game is trying to tell me something.

GlamFM

Banned
Spolier-ish question regarding the Raid and an observation I made.

It seems no elemental primaries dropped in normal mode.

Or did I miss something? You guys think they might be exclusive to the hard Raid?

GlamFM

Banned
Oh shit. I stopped watching around 2AM my time. It's now 9:30 the next day. Wow.

They have him down to 50% right now - this might actually be the run!

EDIT: STREAM JUST DIED!

Hope that does not mean his internet died and he got kicked.

EDIT2: Going again.

Zocano

Spolier-ish question regarding the Raid and an observation I made.

It seems no elemental primaries dropped in normal mode.

Or did I miss something? You guys think they might be exclusive to the hard Raid?

That was the case for Crota's End, so yes.

Klyka

Banned
Another thing regarding skill in the raid right now, is that for example the first two bosses don't really require much personal "skill" or at least the definition of it usually used for a shooter.
At no point does anyone say "ok I need you to go over there and solo 8 enemies on your own,perfectly manage your melee and grenade cooldowns AND generate at least 5 orbs of light. If you can't do this,you suck and we wipe".
The game isn't made like that, the game is more about positioning and movement, like "I need you to stand here and look down this way and kill anything that you see. Then once I shout MIDDLE you turn right and run to the middle."

That's basically the MMO mechanics that Destiny uses to keep raids and such from needing "shooter skills" apart from "hit this enemy".

Makikou

I feel sick, i played this game for like 46 hours since tuesday.. I think it's time to have a gamingless day. Ugh.

Killed the first raid boss yesterday and got a sweet-ass
rocket launcher
tho.

cilonen

Is it RNG only?

Not sure. It was the first Exotic Engram I got, I don't know if Xur will sell it or if there's a quest line for it somewhere that I've bypassed.

It's major perk is already unlocked when you get it - it shoots void particles along with the fusion beam which explode about a second later; they stick to any surface as well as enemies so you can shoot behind things and kill with splash damage or just DPS ultras like crazy

I really want a zhalo supercell or whatever it's called.

Also Luke Smith you beautiful bastard! Went into the raid blind and its fucking amazing.

cilonen

How's the 4th horseman? Any good?

I don't know as I've been out a little while, but I think the consensus is that it's good now. It wasn't when it first arrived in year 1 but I think they buffed it.

People were actually trying to get the Year 1 version just before TTK hit so they would unlock the Year 2 blueprint; I'd consider that good!

I had the old one and now have the new one too, seems to work really well - no complaints here :)

nOoblet16

Anyone wants to do the antiquated rune summon? I have a friend who is 290+ (I myself am under 290 but I think I can do enough damage against 290s)

Klyka

Banned
So the DPS check complaints were in reality just failing mechanics?

There are definitely some DPS checks in the raid but you now have multiple sources of greatly increasing the damage you deal via buffs aka Nightstalker Super, Weapons of Light, that Sunbreaker melee, etc... These are INCREDIBLY helpful in beating the bosses.

As far as I have heard though, Oryx is more about mechanics.

Top Bottom