• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Repost

Oryx Raid anyone? Oryx CP. I think we need 295+ as far as ive seen

1) Me, Tec
2) Ape
3) Ambi/Flocki
4) Rene
5)
6)

Also if someone is doing Rank 3 CoO ill join, as i need it for the quest.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I purposely saved 1600 strange coins so that one day Bungie may do something in their power to give me the power to receive more power. So like, power. I worked for my strange coins in year one so essentially I did work for these exotic engrams too.

Shito

I didn't say the old system was perfect, but the new system is better and then Three of Coins came in and fucked it up not 3 days later.
To be clear, though, I agree this should be "fixed", and I tend to be in the group that thinks of this as an exploit, even though I made good use of it.
I think they should just add a 5~7 minutes cooldown on it, but I would also be fine with it not working on mission bosses, even if that would make the whole system convoluted and hard to understand.
In any case, I really hope Bungie's answer about that won't be to just lower the drop percentage and be done with it...

I purposely saved 1600 strange coins so that one day Bungie may do something in their power to give me the power to receive more power. So like, power. I worked for my strange coins in year one so essentially I did work for these exotic engrams too.

Don't think anybody is saying that the coins used to purchase those tickets were not earned and the time spent grinding for a chance at a drop was not earned either. It's beside the point.

To be clear, though, I agree this should be "fixed", and I tend to be in the group that thinks of this as an exploit, even though I made good use of it.
I think they should just add a 5~7 minutes cooldown on it, but I would also be fine with it not working on mission bosses, even if that would make the whole system convoluted and hard to understand.
In any case, I really hope Bungie's answer about that won't be to just lower the drop percentage and be done with it...

The cooldown is not going to change anything.

Comgrats to you all in Unstable's group, watched you up until you reached Oryx, and had to call it a night at 5:30am my time.
I'm amazed you sticked to it that long, and I must admit I am now a bit frightened at running this raid one day. :D
Still in my mid 270s so I still have some work to do before I can even consider it, though...

But yeah, you had some bad moments but congrats to you all for being able to recover quickly from the small arguments that are bound to arise after that much time spent on such unforgiving content.

Also, you beat Oryx before that troll on chat did. :D

Hey, thanks for watching. Was great to hear cheers and positive messages by fellow Gaffers :)

Watched you guys for a while but I think you were kinda cracking. Flustered, tired and you were really trying to be your usual chipper selves but were having a tough go of it.

This raid doesn't seem like one you start at night and finish before bed. So much going on and so many mechanics to work through. Checkpoints - thankfully.

What did you guys rate it?

Blind raid tends to be like that. Remember the first VoG clear took 12-13 hours? This one is bigger and has mechanics that require very tight execution. Playing a highly intense activity with 6 players for 15+ hours comes with a little 'cracking' :p

The level design and encounters are very well done, but they heavily punish mistakes.

The amount of teamwork and coordination required to beat
Golgoroth
and
Oryx
is crazy. Near perfect execution and call-outs.

It is clearly designed to test fireteams and is not a casual activity, unlike VoG which can be enjoyed by most players (now).

The final boss is quite a strict gear/dps check, and it will be tough to take newbies and first timers into this raid, especially the later half.

We had tons of fun and it was a fantastic experience :)

Deku Tree

Yes..that's the one that requires you to use a ghost to find it.

Also I don't understand why so many people ended up watching other people raid. I thought most wanted to solve the puzzles themselves and go blind. I never saw Stable's stream and neither did anyone from my team. Getting even one stage done felt so good knowing you figured it out. :p

Yeah we found three too. The one behind the door was the one we found first. Lnkn found it somehow. Then it was late and we just decided to move on. I agree doing things blind is lots of fun if you have the time to do it, but some don't have that kind of time to put into a video game.

Yeah, rank three and the three quest lines; petra's first, Variks line on Mars, then the queen's brooch two parter on the dreadnought.

I think you can run HoW missions from the abandoned quest kiosk to get enough rep to pitch you over, or pick up a bounty from Petra.

Already done all that, guess I'll have to wait until she has new bounties for me. :'(

Looking for another 280/290 to join us on Xbox One for the Raid. GT: BlueNinja BE

Shito

The cooldown is not going to change anything.
Depends on where you stand on this matter.
If you believe that the whole system should not exist in the first place, and that bosses should not drop engrams, then I guess we just have to agree to disagree. ^^
To me this is one of the best changes they made to the game. Before Y2 Destiny was *not* a loot game, but now it is.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
fuck all that

zoba, tell me you have shadestep

tell me you know how broken it is

Tsosie

Any impressions of the Zhalo AR? Is it worth using over scout rifles in PVE? How is the chain lightning?

I have that and Jack Rabbit. I was using both throughout different strikes. The Zhalo is amazing in areas with lots of trash. Chain lightning is real, double kills for ammo is real.

Depends on where you stand on this matter.
If you believe that the whole system should not exist in the first place, and that bosses should not drop engrams, then I guess we just have to agree to disagree. ^^
To me this is one of the best changes they made to the game. Before Y2 Destiny was *not* a loot game, but now it is.

There's nothing wrong with getting exotic engrams from bosse, but I do not think an item that increases the chances for end-game gear to drop should be purchasable in large quantities and applicable to easy missions. That is beyond broken.

maomaoIYP

Farmed another 30 ToC:
Hawkmoon
Suros Regime
Jade Rabbit!!
Invective
Monte Carlo
Alpha Lupi (with better perks!)

I really want a Hereafter, but I'm out of strange coins and I don't think I'll get more by the time this gets patched out....

phen0m24

It's essentially "Cheese Atheon for Mythoclast" all over again.

I actually disagree TG. Rare for me, I know. But hear me out.

Most of us have several hundred coins. Kadey has like way too many. 99% of our exotics are year 1. We've spent countless hours chasing them and then leveling each of them. In vanilla we wanted Bungie to "respect our time" acquiring and leveling our weapons. So in 2.0 we're starting over but Bungie is giving us a bit of a head start. Replacing our year 1's and letting us level them too is simpler now than Cosmos doing 44 Atheons before a Vex, or Kartik's 1000 hours before a horn.

Yeah it feels weird, but these are tools we need to raid or even reach the high level content with. I can't seem to get purple gear so at least an exotic piece helps.

I disagree on the Atheon analogy because a) raid gear isn't for sale, and b) cheesing the raid boss in the hardest content available at the time was scummy. This in my opinion is not that level of cheese. :) We're kinda gaming Xur, but with something Bungie gave us to do it. He has kinda gamed us and they've gamed us with him for a while: Oh he's random. Righhhhht

You can only use one exotic weapon and armor piece at a time, you need wormspore to level the armor, and we can't cheese that. Have to go gather it. :)

You asked why we play this crazy loot game? To play with awesome friends. Up until 4 am today with Hawk and deaf. Let's play sometime, bud. :)

Deku Tree

So you're okay with people getting every exotic in the first week of the game?

I'm pretty sure that's not possible because some are locked behind other activities. But I get your point. I personally don't really care how long or short it takes people to get their exotics. If they want to grind Draksis with ToC go ahead. I did it for a while and got some good exotics. And now I'm excited to use them. "Getting them" the hard way to me is not the fun part of Destiny. I love this game but I don't love the "slot machine joy of winning the RNG lottery" aspect of the game.

cilonen

So you're okay with people getting every exotic in the first week of the game?

Yeah, I am. More time playing with them, less time angsting, when we start to get 310 legendaries these will be average anyway and most will become infusing fodder.

I kind of agree here.

Do I want all those exotics from day one? No not really, I like getting new stuff when I dont expect it. Makes it a bit more fun to play the game. Do I mind if other people do use this exploit
? nope I dont. So for me Bungie can patch it or not, I dont really care.
I was also one of those guys that didnt mind that Thorn ripped me a new every time I saw it in PVP. I still killed some of em with my last word. I dont like Nerfs in any shape or form.

What I dont like is that the raid does not have a GARANTEED boss drop exotic or legendary from each boss encounter. The raid is hard and you should get the damn gear. I dont mind if they have RNG on some of the exotics at the final boss though. Like the Mythoclast was.

Tsosie

Quick question. What is the reasoning for farming heriocs strikes over standard strikes? Are there better drop rates/end rewards for heriocs? Tue game does not sell it out, so I want to be sure I am not wasting time in heriocs.

Mupod

The problem isn't the three of coins itself but rather that it is so cheap and people have SO MANY strange coins stocked up. They had to give those people something to use their coins on, but at the same time how can you do that without screwing over someone like me that had maybe 60 or 70?

They should have put in a separate expensive way to 'gamble' your strange coins away and just kept the 3oC as an incentive for running hard strikes. When I first read about it I pictured something that would cost 10-15 strange coins each but would eventually guarantee a single drop from a strike. Potentially getting 5 exotics for 7 coins is a bit much.

Next time around I'm expecting to see them add something superfluous to Xur like a package that could randomly give you some kind of rare foil hologram stupid bullshit shader/emblem/sparrow/ship as the strange coin sink. Regardless the strange coin economy probably did deflate quite a bit as of yesterday's frenzy so maybe they won't have to do anything.

Drizz or whoever. I'll be back on late tonight (10:30pm-11:00pm) central. And I checked before I went to bed,
I still have the Oryx CP
, and want to try to get it done tonight :p

fuck all that

zoba, tell me you have shadestep

tell me you know how broken it is

It has invincibility frames, but it forces 3rd person perspective, has a weapon readiness delay (I don't know how much) and it doesn't travel too far.

I haven't seen it abused yet, but I don't think it'll be a problem. Certainly not as bad as Blink.

I guess now that everyone has that helmet, we'll find out sooner than later.

How does get more legendary marks? I know bungie said you can get unlimited amounts but other than the daily heroic, crucible match, and your first heroic strike of the week i don't see any other way.

arimanius

So the three of coins trick still works this morning. Did 10 more and got a duplicate no backup plans, jade rabbit, and immolation fist. Much happier with my haul today. :D

Arrrammis

Quick question. What is the reasoning for farming heriocs strikes over standard strikes? Are there better drop rates/end rewards for heriocs? Tue game does not sell it out, so I want to be sure I am not wasting time in heriocs.
You get legendary marks for the first 3 heroic strikes you run each week, but other than that the rewards are the same, so for farming I think vanguard strikes are easier for the same reward.

Hedge

Has anybody had any of the new legendary cloaks for hunter (Flayers from Dust Palace, Taniks from Shadow Thief) drop in any of the normal strikes?

Because if I have to wait for the strikes to come up in the heroic rotation, so I can farm them, I'll be severely disappointed. I hate to be that guy that leaves the party to seconds into a strike because it isn't the one I want, but I really need that Taniks cloak. It'll be easier if I can just select it from the navigator.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah if you think about it's only the people who farmed and did the work for coins that are getting stuff out of this. People who put in the time.

You know how long I had to level up every single exotic and weapons I had from year one? Way too long. This is like making it up to people like me when they got rid of 99% of everything and are basically making us start all over. I think of it as a little incentive. Like LOL you farmed all this shit but your stuff is obsolete stoopid but it's okay because we'll do something so that the pain hurts a little less.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible because some are locked behind other activities. But I get your point. I personally don't really care how long or short it takes people to get their exotics. If they want to grind Draksis with ToC go ahead. I did it for a while and got some good exotics. And now I'm excited to use them. "Getting them" the hard way to me is not the fun part of Destiny. I love this game but I don't love the "slot machine joy of winning the RNG lottery" aspect of the game.

Please do not misconstrue my message. I am not insinuating that waiting 11 months for Gjallarhorn to drop and watching Xur sell it a week later is good game design.

But I do not think getting 20 exotics in 20 hours is good for the game either.

^ Zoba if it makes you feel any better I expect a patch next week probably Tuesday to modify the three of coins somehow.

Maybe they will just make it no longer work in year one story missions Lolz: It doesn't give you a better chance at a drop and hopefully it also doesn't "use it" when you do the story mission.

Exotics shouldn't be dropping from story missions to begin with, so that'd be a fair change. But assuming nothing else changes, the next easy boss in line will be grinded instead

Deku Tree

^ Zoba if it makes you feel any better I expect a patch next week probably Tuesday to modify the three of coins somehow.

Maybe they will just make it no longer work in year one story missions Lolz: It doesn't give you a better chance at a drop and hopefully it also doesn't "use it" when you do the story mission.

rNilla

Being able to suicide kill low level ultras over and over again is an exploit. Using Coins in concert with this is also an exploit. It should be fixed. It will be fixed.

I won't pretend I didn't get a couple new toys out of this though. But feels wrong.

phen0m24

I still think it was a coin sink for the 1% hardcore folks - nothing more.

There are many exotics only available through quest lines and many we've likely not even seen yet.

Again, you can only use 1 at a time. There is no Horn "arms race" so far.

Wallach

So I was busy doing "work" yesterday and couldn't play, but I had a couple streams open to watch people's progress in King's Fall. Wanted to talk about stuff I noticed watching people do the final encounter, because I can't help but think one of the elements of the fight is not fully understood. Spoilers below for those that are going in blind still:

So like all of Bungie's raid design, they always expose you to individual mechanics at each checkpoint, and tend to employ all of those in the final encounter, usually with some abstractions. With Oryx, most of them are pretty obvious:

"Torn between dimensions" where the player has to phase out and collect the power to steal a Brand from the encounter with Oryx's daughters. Pretty much the same, though this time your target is mobile. The Brand here is the Immortality buff. This may or may not be best used the way it is currently being done, because timing-wise it happens as you transition into dealing with the Corrupted Darkness mechanic below.

Corrupted Darkness. Each time the phased player claims light on the platforms, a Light-Eater Ogre spawns in the pool below those platforms. Each one of these when killed leaves behind a sphere of Corrupted Darkness that we already know can be detonated to deal heavy damage to Oryx. This is the aspect I'm not sure is fully explored yet. There are two things about this mechanic that I haven't seen talked about really:

- You do not need to stand inside the orb and blind yourself to cause a detonation. Only entering within the edge of the shown radius will allow you to gain the buff, so actually moving closer than that only seems to hurt your visibility.

- The buff you gain while sitting in this radius is called "Channeling Reclaimed Light". Reclaimed Light is the name of the buff you gain during the Golgoroth encounter when standing in the pools from the spheres you shoot down, and it's possible that for the brief time you have before the Corrupted Spheres detonate you will gain a similar damage bonus. This also makes the positioning of spheres (i.e. the reason you have imperative to kill Ogres before they get too far) make more sense to me from a design perspective, because if there is any element of using them to increase weapon damage you need to have a line of sight where you don't need to get close enough to blind yourself.

Basically I think it'd be worth finding out of Channeling Reclaimed Light is a callback to Golgoroth's Reclaimed Light pools and you are supposed to leverage it to make that phase of the fight easier in some fashion with small windows of increased damage; to me that seems to line up with the small window you have to stop Oryx's Doxology cast, and one of the Corrupted spheres should naturally wind up with decent LOS on his chest (whichever Ogre spawns across from the position Oryx occupies). That also kind of makes the actual end of the fight make more sense, where it is supposed to feel desperate on both sides, where currently players are just forcing their way through it anyway so it doesn't seem very different than stopping a normal Doxology cast.

Tsosie

You get legendary marks for the first 3 heroic strikes you run each week, but other than that the rewards are the same, so for farming I think vanguard strikes are easier for the same reward.

That is what I thought. I was grinding through normals with a friend that has a lower light level and I realized I was still getting upgrades. Can anyone else confirm that heriocs do not have a better drop rate for blue or purple engrams?

Top Bottom