• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Namikaze1

Gonna take my sweet time leveling armsday. Not in a rush to get the exotics. They'll come in time. Already got Warlock and Titan to rank 1. Both will hit rank 2 next week while Hunter will hit 1.5.

Plus I like trying out the weapons.

You're the only one we'll ever need Nami!

:D
Aw shucks, you're making me blush.

I wasn't keen on the Nightstalker going into the game because I didn't want to give up offensive capabilities to be a support class.

But the Nightstalker is so good at manipulating the playing field that it's hard to imagine myself playing anything else. It's like they have a solution in their bag of tricks for any situation.
It really is. Such a diverse amount of perks. Good for any situation.

Klyka

Banned
I wasn't keen on the Nightstalker going into the game because I didn't want to give up offensive capabilities to be a support class.

But the Nightstalker is so good at manipulating the playing field that it's hard to imagine myself playing anything else. It's like they have a solution in their bag of tricks for any situation.

the amount of orbs you generate with that one skill you can choose is obscene

Nav

Neo Member
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place but I recently got back into Destiny with the new expansion, problem is I have no one to play with. I'm 220 light, just want more people on my friends list that actually play this game. Thanks!

Eltium is my PSN (ps4)

Jito

Banned
So I was just wondering while re playing the daily on Earth, why don't the Taken just warp directly into the Last City or the Tower? They show they can appear anywhere by accessing Rasputins bunker through teleportation or whatever. I assume it's just because of the Traveler.

Also, the Nightstalker fully supports that showmanship angle that I was mentioning the other week. It's fun to watch them work the field and set up plays, and it's not nearly as overbearing as I anticipated.

So I was just wondering while re playing the daily on Earth, why don't the Taken just warp directly into the Last City or the Tower? They show they can appear anywhere by accessing Rasputins bunker through teleportation or whatever. I assume it's just because of the Traveler.
Like you said the Traveler. Probably doing with the amount of light in the area.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It has invincibility frames, but it forces 3rd person perspective, has a weapon readiness delay (I don't know how much) and it doesn't travel too far.

I haven't seen it abused yet, but I don't think it'll be a problem. Certainly not as bad as Blink.

I guess now that everyone has that helmet, we'll find out sooner than later.

just have your shotgun out and pretend you're playing gears

all people can do is blink backwards. even then

even then tho

Many apologies to Ray, Save, Dhruv, Toasty and Bits for having to bail on the raid. I'm hitting the wall big time, lol. Haven't been this tired since the DJ Booya Mercury and Skolas train.

Watched you guys for a while but I think you were kinda cracking. Flustered, tired and you were really trying to be your usual chipper selves but were having a tough go of it.

This raid doesn't seem like one you start at night and finish before bed. So much going on and so many mechanics to work through. Checkpoints - thankfully.

What did you guys rate it?

I completely understand why the bolded would seem that way but it's really not true. Blind raiding is a totally different beast, intensity comes with the territory. Personally I love that aspect even if it doesn't always seem "fun." Cheesy analogy but it's like sports teammates who get in each other's faces in the heat of the game. I find the intense discussions about game mechanics and encounter designs very exciting. It's my favorite stuff to talk about although not many people get into it. Like Zoba with his detailed PvP map breakdowns, lol.

Very very brief King's Fall impressions, no content spoilers:

It's absolutely fantastic. A true VoG successor that further shames Scrota for the half baked failure it is. I expect some encounters to be on farm very soon (a couple already are). But some encounters are so mechanically dense while also requiring precision execution that they'll test the limits of every team's communication skills. Afaik I think we're still the only DGAF regulars team to beat it, which honestly doesn't surprise me despite how badly we scrubbed up some attempts and how poor our communication was at times.

I fully expect to become more critical as the first-timer bloom where's off. VoG has tighter thematic and mechanical progression whereas King's Fall feels so huge as to be a little scattershot at times. Every player must contribute and execute their role correctly whereas VoG was designed with more leeway on team requirements. Bottom line: the exhilaration of finally beating it is only matched in Destiny by my first flawless VoG.

just have your shotgun out and pretend you're playing gears

all people can do is blink backwards. even then

even then tho

I think we're already used to being a reasonable distance away from Hunters so the Nightstalker isn't going to be more offensive than Bladedancers. Shadestep will primarily be used for defensive.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nighstalker was MVP for the Raid IMO.

From a certain boss I've seen you can do without a Nightstalker though building up orbs for Titans is a huge help. Titan bubbles are essential unless you are somehow like Neo and can dodge 999999 fireballs and slow the chaos down. Basically a certain helmet is a must need too.

I'm pretty sure people are crying about the raid right now is the same old first day first week crying. Once people get more familiar with things and gets more experience we may be able to mix things up a bit in terms of classes and abilities.

I completely understand why the bolded would seem that way but it's really not true. Blind raiding is a totally different beast, intensity comes with the territory. Personally I love that aspect even if it doesn't always seem "fun." Cheesy analogy but it's like sports teammates who get in each other's faces in the heat of the game. I find the intense discussions about game mechanics and encounter designs very exciting. It's my favorite stuff to talk about although not many people get into it. Like Zoba with his detailed PvP map breakdowns, lol.

I like debating the mechanics until people start getting offended. Bothers me at that point because I don't have a commanding voice and prefer to listen and observe until I have something to add. So it's hard for me to deal with heated discussion when it's going nowhere.

V_Ben

Banned
What day do people usually get together to do a raid? I've never finished one. Level 40. Trying Vault of Glass now solo, if anybody wants to help I'm 'V_Ben' on PSN :)

From a certain boss I've seen you can do without a Nightstalker though building up orbs for Titans is a huge help. Titan bubbles are essential unless you are somehow like Neo and can dodge 999999 fireballs and slow the chaos down. Basically a certain helmet is a must need too.

I'm pretty sure people are crying about the raid right now is the same old first day first week crying. Once people get more familiar with things and gets more experience we may be able to mix things up a bit in terms of classes and abilities.
We only used the bubble for weapons of light. Never used it defensively. And we tied it with shadowshot to do lots of damage.
We found the bubble got in the way most of the time actually.

The balls that attack during the ogre phase can just be shot at.

I haven't seen anyone cry about it yet. Once you get IT! It's not so bad.

i understand crying about having crappy weapons, but I didn't see anything in the Raid that was bullshit.

Nighstalker was MVP for the Raid IMO.

Not even close. They're good but Titans are head and shoulders and chest above.
Even when they try to add anti-Defender mechanics for an encounter, Sunbreaker turns out to be the overall best subclass.

Warlocks have absolutely no reason to exist in this raid. It's kind of incredible how terrible and useless they are. I can't think of a single mechanic, let alone entire encounter, where they excel.

Yea Nightstalker is godly in PvE... Still using Gunslinger in Crucible tho.

Well Gunslinger will always be the best roaming Super because it's an instant ranged kill, but being able to run around and shot 3 Nightstalker bows is amazing, especially because of the damage resistance while firing them.

I will also add that it takes a bit more skill to land a bow at range than a Golden gun.

Raybunny

Many apologies to Ray, Save, Dhruv, Toasty and Bits for having to bail on the raid. I'm hitting the wall big time, lol. Haven't been this tired since the DJ Booya Mercury and Skolas train.

No need to apology. I understand and I need to thank you once again for giving us all that help. Bitsu took the chance to join another team at Orix so I think I will postpone the kill for sometime later.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
i understand crying about having crappy weapons, but I didn't see anything in the Raid that was bullshit.

I'm watching random streams and people are crying that the raid is too hard. They seem more like casuals. The fact they are arguing with me about Hawkmoon being top tier says so.

Even when they try to add anti-Defender mechanics for an encounter, Sunbreaker turns out to be the overall best subclass.

Warlocks have absolutely no reason to exist in this raid. It's kind of incredible how terrible and useless they are. I can't think of a single mechanic, let alone entire encounter, where they excel.

Sunbreakers are good tanks and the Bubble helps with DPS, but the Nightstalker has more utility.

I haven't seen the Sunbreaker's melting point thing yet though.

Namikaze1

Raid power question:
so is the only way to get exotics past 290 to infuse them with raid weapons?
For 300+, yep.

For 290 to 299, any rare and legendary can get you up to 299. My Boolean is 297 due to a blue 297 Handcannon. My legendary chest piece is 299 due to a blue 299 chest piece I had.

But if you want to go over 300 for exotics, the raid stuff are the way to go.

I'm watching random streams and people are crying that the raid is too hard. They seem more like casuals. The fact they are arguing with me about Hawkmoon being top tier says so.

lol it wasn't hard enough if you ask me. Everything is a gear check once you know how it works. Well, that and maximizing the effectiveness of the class you're playing.

Did anyone else do the
warpriest without killing adds while holding the red bubble thingy ? Sure the guy holding the red bubble died but we made a lot more damage that way. super weird. we just shoot at the warpriest until you die, revive him, repeat. It worked really well for us.

Klyka

Banned

Having a Stormcaller
in the portal opening in the middle works pretty well cause he can use his super to instantly kill all the big add waves towards the end and generate tons of orbs.

But yeah,needed? No.

Did anyone else do the
warpriest without killing adds while holding the red bubble thingy ? Sure the guy holding the red bubble died but we made a lot more damage that way. super weird. we just shoot at the warpriest until you die, revive him, repeat. It worked really well for us.

I don't see how that can do more damage?

You'd have one person die every 10 seconds meaning their DPS totally disappears. All the bond man has to do is give fire on the boss and then kill a single add. Fire on the boss, single add. Repeat. You are losing out on 1/6th of your damage otherwise

Raid power question

Once you are light 290+ you will get blue drops that are up to 299 from everything in game, so you can infuse legendary and exotics up to 295-297 or so. Beyond that yes, you will need raid gear to infuse.

Also legendaries will drop (from drops and engrams) up to 299. Its all tied to your own equipped light level when you decode, the higher you are the higher the decodes can be. Its still pretty RNG, I am 292 and still get a TON of 260 and 270 drops, the 29x drops are quite rare still.

The hardest slot to fill out is the ghost shell, everything of mine is 290+ except for that. Fortunately it has a lesser impact on your light level than every other slot.

Did anyone else do the
It's easier to not die.
Idk not a big deal. It just takes 4 phases to kill him.

A damn good one
The motherfing best.

A damn good one

Did you use the melting thing at all?

Did anyone else do the

Sure it's doable, but I'd avoid learning the fight that way.

Flunkie

Banned
So what's the best way to use Three of Coins? Can I buy a bunch of them at once and they are consumable so use one til I get an exotic then use another or...?

Klyka

Banned

Sure it's doable, but I'd avoid learning the fight that way.

He didn't because then we wouldn't have had Weapons of Light.
It would have also only been effective against the second boss cause for first boss you need to be away from him.

Having a Stormcaller
in the portal opening in the middle works pretty well cause he can use his super to instantly kill all the big add waves towards the end and generate tons of orbs.

But yeah,needed? No.

I don't see how that can do more damage?

You'd have one person die every 10 seconds meaning their DPS totally disappears. All the bond man has to do is give fire on the boss and then kill a single add. Fire on the boss, single add. Repeat. You are losing out on 1/6th of your damage otherwise

I know! it´s really weird,
we tried both ways but the best one when we got him down was the one when we died like that. maybe it prolonged the time to shot at him before he summoned that orb thingy.

He didn't because then we wouldn't have had Weapons of Light.
It would have also only been effective against the second boss cause for first boss you need to be away from him.

He wasn't using the bubble in the last fight we did though. He was using Sunbreaker on the adds.

rNilla

So what's the best way to use Three of Coins? Can I buy a bunch of them at once and they are consumable so use one til I get an exotic then use another or...?

Yes they are consumable, one at a time. You use one and it lasts until you kill an ultra. If you don't get an exotic engram you can use another one and it should increase your chance even further for the next ultra you kill.

You can see the buff on your character page to know if it's active. It's an Icon with the Nine (IX) symbol.

Sunbreakers are good tanks and the Bubble helps with DPS, but the Nightstalker has more utility.

I haven't seen the Sunbreaker's melting point thing yet though.

I... umm... hmm.... ehh. Nightstalkers are great. Not putting them down. But Titans are the raid kings and it's as true now as it ever was. Maybe if you elaborated more on the utility. Melting Point is super OP btw.

Out of curiosity did you folks beat the raid? Disclaimer: just wondering how far everyone made it, not remotely meant as "prove your cred" question :p

Namikaze1

No :(

I'm stuck on Defender. If we had a second Titan taking up Defender duties, I would be on Sunbreaker. I've seen what Melting Point does first hand with a group of 3 Sunbreaker titans. It's so good. Weapons of Light + Tethering + Metling Point would be overkill for a certain boss.

I guess I just won't do the raid. I feel better playing as a Warlock and I can't help that I have no way of getting orbs when we are suppose to get orbs. Three Warlocks were in World First Team (2 Nightstalkers and a Defender) as Sunsingers. It's possible but I guess I just gonna have to wait to level up my Titan or Hunter before I try the raid again. It's whatever. I'm not trying to start anything about it but if we are now going to "class" specific now I'm not going to be apart of it.

Top Bottom