• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

X-Frame

Not even close. They're good but Titans are head and shoulders and chest above.
Even when they try to add anti-Defender mechanics for an encounter, Sunbreaker turns out to be the overall best subclass.

Warlocks have absolutely no reason to exist in this raid. It's kind of incredible how terrible and useless they are. I can't think of a single mechanic, let alone entire encounter, where they excel.

Yo Drizz! Which encounter are you referring to? Is it,
Golgorath where those purple homing stomach balls would instantly destroy a WoD?

If so totally agreed, everyone switched to Sunbreaker on our team (we had 5 Titans, haha) and clearing the mobs in those tiny hallways with Sunspots was just amazing.

Also, Melting Point from a Sunbreaker is also very effective (especially when the Skullfort helm gives 2 charges), add in Monte Carlo and any enemy that isn't a Valus Tau'auric tier boss with an instant anti-melee "Quake" attacks will literally be melted if a Titan can land a punch safely.

I... umm... hmm.... ehh. Nightstalkers are great. Not putting them down. But Titans are the raid kings and it's as true now as it ever was. Maybe if you elaborated more on the utility. Melting Point is super OP btw.

Out of curiosity did you folks beat the raid? Disclaimer: just wondering how far everyone made it, not remotely meant as "prove your cred" question :p

We beat Oryx with 3 stalkers and 3 defenders. Win win ;)

nOoblet16

I... umm... hmm.... ehh. Nightstalkers are great. Not putting them down. But Titans are the raid kings and it's as true now as it ever was. Maybe if you elaborated more on the utility. Melting Point is super OP btw.

Out of curiosity did you folks beat the raid? Disclaimer: just wondering how far everyone made it, not remotely meant as "prove your cred" question :p

Hmm...this smells like prove your cred :p

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You guys should keep track of stats whenever do first time raids just to see what was needed and such.

I think I will do that with my group.

Nightstalker's Shadowshot is a ranged attack that immobilizes enemies for 5-10 seconds. It also has a buff where damage is shared to enemies (and kills result in explosions) while all shots count as critical hits. It works on adds and it works on bosses, and it's an orb generating machine.

Their ranged melee attack can stun enemies or turn the entire team invisible for 5 seconds. Useful for when a player needs to escape or when a strong enemy needs to be immobilized.
I realized this in the War Priest fight and used it on the Knights before we sworded them

The enhanced motion tracker gives them better awareness of the field and the Shadestep lets them respond to threats quicker than the other subclasses. I was able to weave out of attacks and grab ammo efficiently. (You can get the Keen Scout on weapons like you can with Quickdraw, but it being a built in perk is part of its utility).

Their grenades don't last long, but they are good AoE grenades that do sustained damage and stop enemies in their tracks. Good for placing by door spawns.

The Titans are overall the best class for PvE content, but playing as a Nightstalker it never felt like I wasn't benefitting the team. I couldn't really "tank", but I could do just about anything else. The other Hunter classes don't seem to have much use and I didn't see anything a Warlock would do that one of the Titan classes couldn't do better. (We still love you though Afro and it was fun to hear "I'm up" again.)

We only got to and beat the
Ogre
though. Maybe Titans dominate the fights after that - I don't know anything about them.

Guess I'll farm for higher light until I can get into a raid group again.
Feel like I really understand the Golgoroth fight now though.

todd360

I guess I just won't do the raid. I feel better playing as a Warlock and I can't help that I have no way of getting orbs when we are suppose to get orbs. Three Warlocks were in World First Team (2 Nightstalkers and a Defender) as Sunsingers. It's possible but I guess I just gonna have to wait to level up my Titan or Hunter before I try the raid again. It's whatever. I'm not trying to start anything about it but if we are now going to "class" specific now I'm not going to be apart of it.

Don't let them get you down vaal. What were you expecting the warlock haters to say? There isn't very many people here who like them.

Strider

Well Gunslinger will always be the best roaming Super because it's an instant ranged kill, but being able to run around and shot 3 Nightstalker bows is amazing, especially because of the damage resistance while firing them.

I will also add that it takes a bit more skill to land a bow at range than a Golden gun.

I havent tried the 3 shot bow and was wondering if it was still a one shot kill... Seems like it is which would def improve the super.

Really it's beyond the supers though as the Gunslinger perks just fit my style of play. The only thing I really miss when switching off Nightstalker is the enhanced tracking.

But are you using Quiver even in PvE? Do you prefer it over Black Hole?

Seil

Got Telesto from a legendary engram. I'm normally not a fusion rifle person but I love this thing. I almost don't want to get an exotic scout now lmao.

I guess I just won't do the raid. I feel better playing as a Warlock and I can't help that I have no way of getting orbs when we are suppose to get orbs. Three Warlocks were in World First Team (2 Nightstalkers and a Defender) as Sunsingers. It's possible but I guess I just gonna have to wait to level up my Titan or Hunter before I try the raid again. It's whatever. I'm not trying to start anything about it but if we are now going to "class" specific now I'm not going to be apart of it.

I think you took my post the wrong way, it didn't have anything to do with you or our raid. It's just my opinion on the subclass abilities and perks, completely removed from specific people playing them. Destiny is a shooter first and foremost so the gunplay is most important. For raids, understanding the mechanics and executing the strats make the difference. You can do any content in the game with any class. I imagine world's first had more to do with 20,000 people watching and commenting, lol.

I would never do anything class specific. Being inclusive is my whole goal, but that's not mutually exclusive with having opinions about the game. Anyway let's kick his ass sometime soon this weekend. Bring your Warlock.

S H A D O W B O Y Z

I havent tried the 3 shot bow and was wondering if it was still a one shot kill... Seems like it is which would def improve the super.

Really it's beyond the supers though as the Gunslinger perks just fit my style of play. The only thing I really miss when switching off Nightstalker is the enhanced tracking.

But are you using Quiver even in PvE? Do you prefer it over Black Hole?

Shadowshot will always kill if it's a direct hit. I use Quiver so I can have multiple Super uses. It's better to hit and kill a player then teather them because they can still shoot you, so I want to get used to aiming for the player themselves.

Gunslinger its my playstyle but I can play the Nightstalker like a Gunslinger and Bladedancer combined.

Don't let them get you down vaal. What were you expecting the warlock haters to say? There isn't very many people here who like them.

Yes they were useful in the VOG, I even carried the sword on my first HM Crota run as a Warlock because I was the highest level and defeated it. I didn't die often yesterday my problem was I couldn't generate orbs. Stormcaller is useless in the raid, Sunsinger is still good. But when everyone is expecting you to get 6 to 8 orbs on non-major ads I guess I can't do that like the Nightstalker or Sunbreakers can.

Frenden

Banned
Petra gave me the Dreadnaught mission but I still have the last two story steps for Variks to finish his quest chain. Do I just need to finish Petra to get the Gemini?

bitsurugi

I am titan since day1, hell, since alpha, ....

.. but boooy, nightstalker is sooooo good now, pve ofc, but even in pvp it has so many potential.... loving the predator radar, the bombs, the invis shananigans you can do.. and even the super with quiver is like a mini golden gun.

In rift... oh boy... that slow...

I think you took my post the wrong way, it didn't have anything to do with you or our raid. It's just my opinion on the subclass abilities and perks, completely removed from specific people playing them. Destiny is a shooter first and foremost so the gunplay is most important. For raids, understanding the mechanics and executing the strats make the difference. You can do any content in the game with any class. I imagine world's first had more to do with 20,000 people watching and commenting, lol.

I would never do anything class specific. Being inclusive is my whole goal, but that's not mutually exclusive with having opinions about the game. Anyway let's kick his ass sometime soon this weekend. Bring your Warlock.

S H A D O W B O Y Z

20000 viewers watching this raid getting beat?

Who streamed it?

HD2ydwy.jpg

Got Bittersteel from Dead Orbit! It's no Revenant, but I'll take it. Saint-14 looks freakin' sexy in white.

Right, let's attempt to give Oryx the boot.

Seil

Petra gave me the Dreadnaught mission but I still have the last two story steps for Variks to finish his quest chain. Do I just need to finish Petra to get the Gemini?

People have reported not getting it until they also finished Variks' quest. I can't speak from experience as I don't have the rank to get it x.x I've already finished all the quests, but it's gonna be a long wait for me lol.

Yes they were useful in the VOG, I even carried the sword on my first HM Crota run as a Warlock because I was the highest level and defeated it. I didn't die often yesterday my problem was I couldn't generate orbs. Stormcaller is useless in the raid, Sunsinger is still good. But when everyone is expecting you to get 6 to 8 orbs on non-major ads I guess I can't do that like the Nightstalker or Sunbreakers can.

Sunsinger should be able to generate orbs and control adds. Self res will be useful for hard mode but I'd rather see song of flame.

I like debating the mechanics until people start getting offended. Bothers me at that point because I don't have a commanding voice and prefer to listen and observe until I have something to add. So it's hard for me to deal with heated discussion when it's going nowhere.

Well, this post just got super apropos all of a sudden apparently. I agree completely, nothing I talk about with the game is meant personally vs someone. It's about the ideas being discussed, not the people discussing them.

I shouldn't have even put the raid progression question in Hunter/Titan PvE debate post. They were completely unrelated. I was literally just curious what you (and all DGAF teams) have experienced so far.

Lnkn52

Not even close. They're good but Titans are head and shoulders and chest above.
Even when they try to add anti-Defender mechanics for an encounter, Sunbreaker turns out to be the overall best subclass.

Warlocks have absolutely no reason to exist in this raid. It's kind of incredible how terrible and useless they are. I can't think of a single mechanic, let alone entire encounter, where they excel.
Some what true. There were instances where they can be used for add control but other than that, you can replace that with a Titan.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Basically it boils down to Titans being even better now because Nightstalkers could support them and bring out their best. Like a good couple.

phen0m24

Well, this post just got super apropos all of a sudden apparently. I agree completely, nothing I talk about with the game is meant personally vs someone. It's about the ideas being discussed, not the people discussing them.

I shouldn't have even put the raid progression question in Hunter/Titan PvE debate post. They were completely unrelated. I was literally just curious what you (and all DGAF teams) have experienced so far.

Drizzy and TG I admire your ability to be pretty darn cool through whatever. When TG laughs at stuff that's infectious. And when Drizzy plays field commander in his laissez-Faire way - so cool

:)

Heart DGAF

Agent

I killed ultras with 15 of Xurs coins. I got two exotic secondary engrams and a primary engram. Both secondary engrams turned into Invective. The primary turned into...Zhalo Supercell. I'm pretty hyped, can't wait to level it up.

Does anyone want to do some heroic strikes? I keep getting matched with potato players that don't play or run into a group of majors trying to sword everything. PSN: phantom8324

feel bad for anyone who got a bunch of exotics yesterday. is there any reason to play a loot game at that point?

On the flip side of that, it bothers me that they were so easy to obtain. It kills Xur, it kills the replayability, and it kills the bell curve availability of the items.

Been thinking about this and what I'm thinking is it comes down to why you play the game. Is it more fun for you to chase a gun? Or to use it?

I chased Hawkmoon for all of year one. Got burnt out on the chase, and when it finally dropped I actually wound up using the Lord of Wolves that I had just received instead.

For me, it's way more fun to use the guns than to chase them. Which is why I disagree very strongly with circumventing the loot frequency kills replayability. Maybe that was true in Year 1 when there wasn't much to do and a lot of the story missions were bland. But tvhat said, in Year One, I didn't stop doing the Vault when I got all the gear because the Vault is great. I played the hell out of Halo's campaign. And there was no loot, no XP, no grind. It was just fun, challenging & rewarding innately.

Year Two is really good and doesn't need a loot grind to keep us playing. Which is the mark of a good loot game: It's a good game first.

To be clear, I'm not anti-RNG or anti-loot, but it should support the game rather than be the game for me.

Sunsinger should be able to generate orbs and control adds. Self res will be useful for hard mode but I'd rather see song of flame.

Song of Flame wasn't great I tried it yesterday I was having a better job with Radiant with Flame Shields. And sorry Drizzay it's just the Warlock hate is just getting annoying and its just bothering me. That fucker
Oryx
is going down this weekend for sure.

S C R U B L O R D B O Y Z

Klyka

Banned
Hm, I'd say if you have Warlocks,you definitely want people with Radiance and Song of Flame cause helping your teammates is what it's all about.

Does Song of Flame only reduce the melee/grenade cooldowns of allies? Or does it also fill their super faster?
Also a Sunsinger Warlock should be able to generate a decent amount of orbs.

I can see a Stormcaller for crowd control e.g.
Portal opening, Golgoloth add waves (although a void walker could more effectively block one of the hallways)

I do so love class meta talk! I always want to find a way for EVERYONE to contribute to the team.

Top Bottom