• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Lnkn52

Yes they were useful in the VOG, I even carried the sword on my first HM Crota run as a Warlock because I was the highest level and defeated it. I didn't die often yesterday my problem was I couldn't generate orbs. Stormcaller is useless in the raid, Sunsinger is still good. But when everyone is expecting you to get 6 to 8 orbs on non-major ads I guess I can't do that like the Nightstalker or Sunbreakers can.
Yeah orb generation is very low. I feel like they need to buff that. I Only felt useful on the
1st boss
when the
Taken
entered the map. But that's it.

It just might be a gear thing but we might be using the Warlock super the wrong way.

Some what true. There were instances where they can be used for add control but other than that, you can replace that with a Titan.

Nightstalker can do in one subclass what the other classes can do across several subclasses is what I was trying to say.

Evasive maneuvers, invisibility - Bladedancer
Stunning enemies - Striker
Debuff - Sunbreaker
AoE grenades - Sunsinger, Defender, Voidwalker
Manueverability (triple jump) - Gunslinger

It's just a really well rounded class. I don't want to say Jack of All Trades because that implies it isn't good at any one talent. The other classes that specialize in those things will most likely do them better, but the Nightstalker can cover their backs.

Mupod

Titans once again prove they are the best in PVE. That is why I went Titan. Bubbles are too invaluable for certain things. And it will be for 9 more years.

this is how I feel about sunsinger in nightfalls etc, I like the other subclasses but having that revive safety net is too damn good. The shield and fusion grenades are sorely missed when I'm in other specs as well, not having much in the way of defenses has been making it hard for me to enjoy Stormcaller in non-trivial content.

I originally was going to play a Titan but Sunsinger was actually closer to what I wanted to play as (a 'tank', not that there is one in Destiny). But Sunbreaker is pretty close and looks great for PVP, I was planning on leveling a Hunter for PVP next but I might just go Titan instead. I've yet to play any alts and I don't think I will until I'm done with this character, though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Anyone for taken patrol on mars? I need 2 champions but no one else seems to be around and I can't solo one down before it despawns. PSN Anoregon

Lnkn52

Nightstalker can do in one subclass what the other classes can do across several subclasses is what I was trying to say.

Evasive maneuvers, invisibility - Bladedancer
Stunning enemies - Striker
Debuff - Sunbreaker
AoE grenades - Sunsinger, Defender, Voidwalker
Manueverability (triple jump) - Gunslinger

It's just a really well rounded class. I don't want to say Jack of All Trades because that implies it isn't good at any one talent. The other classes that specialize in those things do them better, but the Nightstalker can cover their backs.

I really like the Nightstalker. They did a very good job when it comes to building a real support class.

Frenden

Banned
Yeah orb generation is very low. I feel like they need to buff that. I Only felt useful on the
1st boss
when the
Taken

It just might be a gear thing but we might be using the Warlock super the wrong way.

The Warlock super shines on strikes. A Nightstalker with damage/explosive share tether and orb on damage hits a group, the Warlock chains his lightning, everyone takes part in an Orbgy.

I can't comment on the raid, though. Haven't tried yet.

I really like the Nightstalker. They did a very good job when it comes to building a real support class.

Me too. I have a hard time picking anything else now. Class or subclass.

Anastasis

I think you took my post the wrong way, it didn't have anything to do with you or our raid. It's just my opinion on the subclass abilities and perks, completely removed from specific people playing them. Destiny is a shooter first and foremost so the gunplay is most important. For raids, understanding the mechanics and executing the strats make the difference. You can do any content in the game with any class. I imagine world's first had more to do with 20,000 people watching and commenting, lol.

I would never do anything class specific. Being inclusive is my whole goal, but that's not mutually exclusive with having opinions about the game. Anyway let's kick his ass sometime soon this weekend. Bring your Warlock.

S H A D O W B O Y Z

Can you elaborate on how to use the Sunbreaker Titan in the raid? We had a rag tag group of random Gaffers go in blind and got stuck on
the War Priest
before calling it quits and I didn't think I was playing the subclass efficiently. Thanks!

Klyka

Banned
Oh and another thing about Warlocks:

I feel the Sunsinger (slinger? no idea) is pretty good with the "revive radiance" if you put him into roles in the group where him dying very quickly (to mechanics for example) can easily happen, cause he can kinda use a "get out of jail free card".

Coupled with the crazy amount of orbs a Nightstalker generates for example, a Warlock could revive tons of times during a fight.

I have a rune but it needs charging up. Feel free to join. I'm just sitting here waiting for others to wander through. I find once CoO stuff starts other players start gravitating towards it.

PSN: MiniMe637
I'll definitely join you. Just finishing a control match and I'll be right there.

Lnkn52

These discussions is not to confirm whether warlocks are useless or not or some troll posts. We're trying to find the best role for them. Some of us just take defending these classes too personal.

Deku Tree

I think you took my post the wrong way, it didn't have anything to do with you or our raid. It's just my opinion on the subclass abilities and perks, completely removed from specific people playing them. Destiny is a shooter first and foremost so the gunplay is most important. For raids, understanding the mechanics and executing the strats make the difference. You can do any content in the game with any class. I imagine world's first had more to do with 20,000 people watching and commenting, lol.

I was watching part of Goths stream, and it was insane... He had 3x that many viewers, close to 60k, towards the end of the raid after Bungie was tweeting to watch them. Goth had like almost 40K viewers on TTK release day.

I didn't watch the stream for very long, but when I was watching they were figuring out the mechanics themselves. I didn't see them getting help from their chat. Must be hard to follow a chat with that many people in it.

Mupod

Zhalo Supercell has easily become my favorite primary.

I accidentally bought a Primary engram instead of a Special one from Rahool last night, and it turned into that. I'm going to use it regardless because it's an elemental primary but the perks sound great and will go with Obsidian Mind pretty well.

I've never been an auto rifle fan though so who knows if I'll like it. I have Jade Rabbit and I don't know if I'm into it yet. It's gotten more useful since I unlocked extended mag for it but being encouraged to not always get headshots is weird to me. It was certainly very effective in the raid encounter I did last night though.

On the subject of new exotics - have people found any 'hidden' perks for them yet?

BraXzy

Raid spoilers:
You know the jumping puzzle with the phalic looking things popping outta the wall, which part does that come after? I can't remember.

Been thinking about this and what I'm thinking is it comes down to why you play the game. Is it more fun for you to chase a gun? Or to use it?

I chased Hawkmoon for all of year one. Got burnt out on the chase, and when it finally dropped I actually wound up using the Lord of Wolves that I had just received instead.

For me, it's way more fun to use the guns than to chase them. Which is why I disagree very strongly with circumventing the loot frequency kills replayability. Maybe that was true in Year 1 when there wasn't much to do and a lot of the story missions were bland. But tvhat said, in Year One, I didn't stop doing the Vault when I got all the gear because the Vault is great. I played the hell out of Halo's campaign. And there was no loot, no XP, no grind. It was just fun, challenging & rewarding innately.

Year Two is really good and doesn't need a loot grind to keep us playing. Which is the mark of a good loot game: It's a good game first.

To be clear, I'm not anti-RNG or anti-loot, but it should support the game rather than be the game for me.

The first post you quoted wasn't worded properly and I clarified my opinion on it later.

It is indeed more fun to use a weapon than it is to chase it. If chasing weapons was the name of the game, everyone would quit after they got what they wanted. The end goal is to work towards a weapon and enjoy using it, so I am not saying it is somehow wrong to want exotics. If Xur didn't sell a helmet engram yesterday, I would have bent over backwards for Draksis to get the Nightstalker exotic.

The problem I have with this coin trick is that it is sending a negative message about the game's loot system and overshadowing other problems. It's also making a lot of content available too early, which is a general concern I have had for year two.

There is no news about additional DLC for the game and I doubt we'll see any of it until next spring. This expansion has to last at least 6 months and I do not want another House of Wolves situation where the content is old after 2 weeks. Of course, the problem then was also the fact that the loot system was largely based on RNG, which is no longer the case.

Exotics should be rewarded more frequently now from quests, activities, and playing normally. Grinding easy bosses for easy loot undermines those systems.

CREMSteve

Looking to join a King's Fall raid today, would prefer to go in with group that has never played/watched a run before. Want to go in completely fresh. :D

StrykerIsland

I was watching part of Goths stream, and it was insane... He had 3x that many viewers, close to 60k, towards the end of the raid after Bungie was tweeting to watch them. Goth had like almost 40K viewers on TTK release day.

I didn't watch the stream for very long, but when I was watching they were figuring out the mechanics themselves. I didn't see them getting help from their chat. Must be hard to follow a chat with that many people in it.

Next raid a GAF team should be the first to beat the raid!

Lets make it happen!

rNilla

This expansion has to last at least 6 months and I do not want another House of Wolves situation where the content is old after 2 weeks. Of course, the problem then was also the fact that the loot system was largely based on RNG, which is no longer the case.

Also there wasn't much to do in House of Wolves outside of Trials. Prison of Elders wasn't compelling enough.

Deku Tree

naw.

anything past 300 though? probably

For 300+, yep.

For 290 to 299, any rare and legendary can get you up to 299. My Boolean is 297 due to a blue 297 Handcannon. My legendary chest piece is 299 due to a blue 299 chest piece I had.

But if you want to go over 300 for exotics, the raid stuff are the way to go.

Once you are light 290+ you will get blue drops that are up to 299 from everything in game, so you can infuse legendary and exotics up to 295-297 or so. Beyond that yes, you will need raid gear to infuse.

Also legendaries will drop (from drops and engrams) up to 299. Its all tied to your own equipped light level when you decode, the higher you are the higher the decodes can be. Its still pretty RNG, I am 292 and still get a TON of 260 and 270 drops, the 29x drops are quite rare still.

The hardest slot to fill out is the ghost shell, everything of mine is 290+ except for that. Fortunately it has a lesser impact on your light level than every other slot.

Thanks!

Regarding mainly PvP only players, I wonder what Bungie will do with Power enabled play lists in the future.
Will they be hosed out of the highest power gear? Or Will it be much easier to get to max power playing PvP than relying on RNG in a super hard new Raid?

1st boss
when the
Taken

Like explain to me that when a Nightstalker can generate 8 orbs GUARENTEED on a slew of Taken Thrall while I use my Stormcaller I can only get 1 or 2 orbs on the ads. Like seriously?

395 motes of light. Sit on them for something or level dead orbit a few more times. Probably makes sense to level dead orbit but I'm an ocd hoarder :/

Yes they were useful in the VOG, I even carried the sword on my first HM Crota run as a Warlock because I was the highest level and defeated it. I didn't die often yesterday my problem was I couldn't generate orbs. Stormcaller is useless in the raid, Sunsinger is still good. But when everyone is expecting you to get 6 to 8 orbs on non-major ads I guess I can't do that like the Nightstalker or Sunbreakers can.

They were insanely useful in VoG. I was a #Forever29 Warlock for many months and self-res saved many a run. The only problem is that it was too good and Bungie has made it a point to limit its viability ever since with stuff like Crota's Oversoul and
Golgoroth's Tablet of Ruin.

Basically it boils down to Titans being even better now because Nightstalkers could support them and bring out their best. Like a good couple.

Yep, exactly. They pair together extremely well, it's part of the issue with Warlocks not finding a niche.

Some what true. There were instances where they can be used for add control but other than that, you can replace that with a Titan.

Bolded is the key point. That's what I mean by excel. It has to be a unique attribute, not a "good" attribute. People can play great with everything. I'm talking about the mechanics and abilities in a vacuum, separated from specific people using them.

Yo Drizz! Which encounter are you referring to? Is it,
Golgorath where those purple homing stomach balls would instantly destroy a WoD?

If so totally agreed, everyone switched to Sunbreaker on our team (we had 5 Titans, haha) and clearing the mobs in those tiny hallways with Sunspots was just amazing.

Also, Melting Point from a Sunbreaker is also very effective (especially when the Skullfort helm gives 2 charges), add in Monte Carlo and any enemy that isn't a Valus Tau'auric tier boss with an instant anti-melee "Quake" attacks will literally be melted if a Titan can land a punch safely.

Yep, exactly that.
Bits told me about your Golgoroth Titan takedown earlier today. With weapons of light + melting point I was doing 127,000 damage per sniper shot to his stomach o_O

Welp, seems t
hree hidden chests
are confirmed in the raid

Crota's End had chests as well so no reason a more VoG like Raid wouldn't.

Also there wasn't much to do in House of Wolves outside of Trials. Prison of Elders wasn't compelling enough.

Yes the content itself left a lot to be desired, but the same thing could potentially happen when a lot of it is made available to people in a short amount of time.

Like, what if Xur shows up next week and half the thread already has what he's selling?

Top Bottom