• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

So I just saw the Gunsmith resets tomorrow? I thought it was every Wednesday? Oh well, that's a better, I'll just be able to get my Ace of Spades faster.

DNAbro

I have no tier 3 rune. Just letting the folks planning to join me know. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long Guardian career. Skills that make me a nightmare for enemies like the Taken.

I don't think I have you added Nami. PSN:DNAbro

Also does anyone know how to get a tier 3 rune? is just a drop from tier 2?

Korosenai

On the plus side, there wont be a bunch of exotic shotguns in Crucible until Tuesday.

That's what I was getting at with the whole "everyone has Exotics in the first 3 days" thing.
I agree, it just sucks that you have to wait after that ridiculously hard strike (and I had to do it with randoms who were 280 light).

DjRalford

So I just saw the Gunsmith resets tomorrow? I thought it was every Wednesday? Oh well, that's a better, I'll just be able to get my Ace of Spades faster.

He seems to have 2 weapon sets a week to test, last week I did the 4 pve ones and was surprised on Monday when I had 4 more to do.

jaaz

Every time I infuse a legendary with a blue, I always feel it's a crap shoot on the new defense/attack number. This makes me hesitant to use a high numbered blue (when it's my only one) on a lower number legendary for fear it will knock me down too much in light level. Is there a variable in the equation or is the result always the same?

Any calculators out there?

Mupod

place a wormsinger rune in on of the pedestals in the caves on patrol, it will give you a bounty to kill 50 enemies, and summon a boss on completion, which will award you with a random key

That must have been what happened, but I didn't kill the 50 enemies I guess. Considering I only got one of those runes in several hours of patrolling/doing court of oryx summons that's...annoying. But I'll try again.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, so... I'm definitely never soloing the last fight of Fear's Embrace. That shit is a fucking madhouse.

More like I don't want to find a new person, because someone got their rewards already and doesn't want to do it again for free.

And it kinda ruins it for the others who wanna do it blind.

I'll do it again for 'free' to get better at the encounters since I don't see myself leveling up the other classes anytime soon, but I don't plan on doing another 8 hour run.

DjRalford

Yeah, so... I'm definitely never soloing the last fight of Fear's Embrace. That shit is a fucking madhouse.

I tried for an hour earlier today, got him down to a slither and died, went to get more heavy ammo and came back to find no checkpoint and raged.

Luckily another gaffer needed help a few hours later and with two of us we breezed through it.

noomi

Nami, how far did you and team make it last night, and are you continueing today?

Also, for tier 3 rune... Pretty easy if everyone is 290+ and the dps is there, we did it teice today inside 10min.

neoism

feel bad for anyone who got a bunch of exotics yesterday. is there any reason to play a loot game at that point?

like, imagine if you could buy the VoG raid gear when it came out. the game would have dropped off.

i don't know why it irks me so much but the thought of grinding all day for exotics pisses me off. even getting an engram to drop from a strike boss felt wrong.

inb4 "then don't use it", like that excuses me from taking up an issue with it.

it will most def will have poeple two months from now saying there is nothing left two do... im doing it for the auto rifle... meh im not gonna have it me my TLW i only got like 4 weeks with the TLW before they fucking pissed on it...
besides its bungies fault they should play their game... and they should have seen this...
they probably did one strike and popped one at the end and got and engram and said it works and called it a day.... they never thought about early story missions....
fix it by making it only work on strikes or the taken king only....

Thanks Darknyss and friends for the tier 3 Court of Oryx help. That was fun and frantic. Had to run though. Glad we were able to clear it twice.
Thanks! Was fun figuring out what to do and then wrecking it with two GAF fireteams.

I wish they'd just open dreadnought to groups of 6. It sucks having to bug randoms for their instance.

So, I'm guessing even though the game allows you to solo strikes, you probably shouldn't? The amount of enemies the games throws at you sometimes is kinda ridiculous.

Taken War: Mars
final mission on Phobos with the Echo and the poison and the adds and the fire

ah. That one gave me and Stantron trouble but the trick was to just hide in the doorway you enter from and snipe the boss. That way you had one chokepoint to watch and were close to each other to revive. The adds could be killed with rockets or grenades. Moving around was a bad idea while being underleveled.

What's your take on what's reasonable for a PUG to do this week without too much headache. I heard first two bosses are quite doable. Thoughts?

Very vague raid progression spoilers:

First two loot drop encounters are completely reasonable for any average PUG, as long as they aren't grossly under leveled. The second boss, 3rd loot drop, is an interesting one, very hard to say. The mechanics aren't overly hard to figure out but it requires a lot of communication and every team member has to perform. There aren't "empty spaces" like people who don't get teleported during Atheon. Honestly a lot of PUGs might struggle with this due to lack of voice chat and familiarity. Fourth loot encounter is definitely easier.

Final boss with PUGs sounds like a nightmare unless you get really lucky with the high Light players who also communicate well. The one big caveat is that I'm sure a million strategy guide You Tube videos will be available by then plus reddit threads etc etc. Should bring the average PUG competency level up a fair bit. Even so, I have a hard time seeing many PUGs grinding out this fight.

I want Zalo Supercel badly, that is my job today, waste he rest of my coins for this

Has Drakis been patched yet?

what for? he doesn't give out Engrams for Free. the 3oC are working as intended with chance involved.

Draksis shouldn't be patch IMO. Or else that would affect the way checkpoints function

Mupod

Do you get anything for your character by playing crucible?

Yep. It hands out drops at the end of matches, with no regards to performance. In fact if you ask most people they'd say it seems more likely to give good loot to the last place person every time.

You also get exp, and 15 legendary marks if you do the 'daily' pvp objective. It's the one on the main screen next to the daily heroic, nightfall etc icons.

There is crucible reputation and it raises your pledged faction. There's also crucible-specific bounties.

Shito

Hmmm, replayed the story missions on my warlock with my gf: did you guys scan the two statues at the entrance of the Oryx boss fight?
One of them is of an ancient hive God whose name I already forgot, but maybe he will come into play in the next DLC?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gahhhh I woke up it intermittent power failures and the news that I'm babysitting for six hours later tonight. This was supposed to be another destiny day :(

Grats to the group(s?) that took Oryx down!

Top Bottom