• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Dave_6

Everyone is getting the new exotic weapons and I've barely had time to play the past ~24 hours and won't have much time today. Ugh.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has Drakis been patched yet?
gutter_trash said:
what for? he doesn't give out Engrams for Free. the 3oC are working as intended with chance involved.

Draksis shouldn't be patch IMO. Or else that would affect the way checkpoints function
Okay first off, "Draksis" isn't being patched.

I dunno why but it totally bugs me when it seems like people are just following the instructions given for doing a trick to get a reward without actually understanding what makes it work.

Draksis is just an ultra boss. Basically a yellow-bar enemy with a unique name. There's nothing particularly special about him with regard to 3oC except that he's in an easy mission with a checkpoint right by him. If anything about Draksis is patched rather than the mechanism of the Three of Coins, everyone will just find another easily spammable boss and grind there instead. People were already doing it with the Gate Lord beforehand, etc. They work on named bosses out on Patrol like the Taken Champions, the bosses that pop out of Blight missions sometimes, the unique VIP enemies (Troll Patrol), named story bosses and minibosses, etc.

Second, "working as intended" is maybe a liiiitle misleading? It is technically correct (the best kind of correct), but they certainly aren't being used as intended. It's extremely obvious to me, and should be to anyone if you just think about how they work for a second, that Bungie never intended players to use coins on multiple loot rolls per minute to maximize their chances of getting ten, twenty or more exotics over the course of an hour of play. It's their fault for not designing around it, no doubt about it. Have at it while it's around if you have no qualms about this kind of thing, sure. But it's just super obvious that it's not intended.
3OC should only work on strike bosses or above. ~1/5 chance of getting an exotic after a strike is good enough and way better than what the game ever offered before. Exploiting the save/checkpoint system so you can kill a piss easy "boss" without it counting as a checkpoint is surely not how they intended this to play out. It's really lame.
Bleh, please no :(

One of the best things about the 3oC for me is that they work on bosses as varied as named bosses that pop up in patrol or Vanilla story missions on earth. The chance that an exotic engram could pop out of one of them is exciting and fun and good for the game. It also makes exotic hunting versus buying (with the same healthy dose of randomness as always) a viable option for solo players when doing patrols, their daily story, etc. When you're trying to correct abuse of an in-game mechanic you have to weigh the solution against the side effects it would have on legitimate users and that one would suck hard.

Furthermore, your solution just literally moves the problem from one person detonating himself along with a story boss to a fireteam detonating themselves along with a strike boss. The exact "checkpoint abuse" you're talking about being unintended would remain exactly as effective!

The entire problem is the rate at which the chances can be consumed and thus go through huge stacks of coins in one spot during what would otherwise be hours of gameplay throughout the game. That's all that needs to be addressed. If there's a 10 minute cooldown and someone literally still wants to go to Draksis, kill themselves to repeat, wait 9 minutes and 45 seconds, and do it again- at that point I say so be it. They get 6 chances per hour they aren't spending on earning anything else at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Everyone is getting the new exotic weapons and I've barely had time to play the past ~24 hours and won't have much time today. Ugh.
You and me both brother. I'm going to squeeze in maybe an hour now and then I'm babysitting until pretty late at night :(

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Trying to do the same atm, I can't even win 2 rift matches even though I'm top of team or 2nd every single game.
Its especially rough today to do the Rift one because it happens to be the daily too. A lot of people are just there to camp and bullshit and don't really try to win because the incentive is just to finish the game.
What step are you on? I've been slowly progressing through this.
I'm on the home stretch... Only have to do the scout rifle 6+ kills // win along with the hand cannons next.

This really forces the issue on the differences between year 1 and year 2 though. Personally, I cannot WAIT until Iron Banner comes around. Its not enough that crucible rewards be gimped for guys sticking to their 170 weapons. They're gonna be fucked trying to transition to Trials or IB.

Jade Rabbit is a huge disappointment.

i had to rever back to the Answering Chord auto rifle to be able to complete heroic Strikes

i am hoping that Tlaloc to be better than Jade Rabbit.
Banshee's Susanoo fusion rifle is my favortie Legendary fusion rifle, hiping that exptic Scout rifle Tlaloc will be on that level of good

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawk, Rob and I are on Mars for the champions if you need them
ah do I have to do Venus first for the quest? I haven't done those yet
Bungie just have to make the 3oC being purchasable 1 stack per week, done
One stack of 5? I don't like that either :(

What's wrong with someone wanting to do 30 strikes over the course of a week and using a 3oC on each, if they have the coins to spend on it?

DY_nasty

Yeah, I still need info on the Shield Brothers strike too. I'll solo it if need be.

Frenden

Banned
I'm a few points shy of Rank 3 gunsmith so I'll have to wait until next week to get Ace of Spades.

Is it the Fatebringer successor many wanted it to be?

With its range, I'm kinda hoping it will be PvP viable too.

coy

Got an artifact from a random blue to get me to 288. Thought I'd have to wait til after the weekend to be ready for the raid but this put me that much closer. Also received Bittersteel, my only missing shader, from a DO package. Great start to the day and I'll be making jambalaya to celebrate all this.

X-Frame

If you are in a fireteam does it matter who kills the shield Bros with the shotgun or do you have to be the one to do it?

Yeah, I still need info on the Shield Brothers strike too. I'll solo it if need be.

It's pretty hard. I joined a group of 2 half-way into the Strike via matchmaking and they were getting destroyed. Bring void weapons/sub-classes because the Psions with void shields are actually the most difficult.

If you guys are down I can run this now.

Trace

Banned
Jade Rabbit is a huge disappointment.

i had to rever back to the Answering Chord auto rifle to be able to complete heroic Strikes

i am hoping that Tlaloc to be better than Jade Rabbit.
Banshee's Susanoo fusion rifle is my favortie Legendary fusion rifle, hiping that exptic Scout rifle Tlaloc will be on that level of good

I was only ever going to use it in PvP, how is it there?

neoism

Yeah we did. Me, Unstable, Jigga Man, Ruthless, Vaalbara and ZW got up to Oryx then Sentinal subbed in for Vaal who had to get to bed. A bunch of people got to Oryx already I know. More completions will follow soon.

lol yeah i watched you guys for like 10 hours lol.. was an amazing raid.... i want back and watched like 5 minutes before the kill and you guys where on point...

good job..:p

DY_nasty

It's pretty hard. I joined a group of 2 half-way into the Strike via matchmaking and they were getting destroyed. Bring void weapons/sub-classes because the Psions with void shields are actually the most difficult.

If you guys are down I can run this now.

I'm hopping on now then. PSN: DY_nastyIV

Jawmuncher

Yep. It hands out drops at the end of matches, with no regards to performance. In fact if you ask most people they'd say it seems more likely to give good loot to the last place person every time.

You also get exp, and 15 legendary marks if you do the 'daily' pvp objective. It's the one on the main screen next to the daily heroic, nightfall etc icons.

There is crucible reputation and it raises your pledged faction. There's also crucible-specific bounties.

Oh nice thanks for the heads up, guess i'll do some of this then.

The only difference that needs to be made to 3 of Coins is you shouldn't be able to use it on the same boss multiple times without redoing the mission or having a cooldown. The only thing broken currently is that people are able to kill draksis repeatedly in short amounts of time while using coins.

Jblanks

3OC should only work on strike bosses or above. ~1/5 chance of getting an exotic after a strike is good enough and way better than what the game ever offered before. Exploiting the save/checkpoint system so you can kill a piss easy "boss" without it counting as a checkpoint is surely not how they intended this to play out. It's really lame.

Agreed.

The only difference that needs to be made to 3 of Coins is you shouldn't be able to use it on the same boss multiple times without redoing the mission or having a cooldown. The only thing broken currently is that people are able to kill draksis repeatedly in short amounts of time while using coins.

I have to agree with everyone saying there should just be a cooldown. Having an exotic engram pop out of the boss during the nightfall was so f'ing rewarding. Took the sting out of getting strange coins as the reward.

Jinjo

I'm a few points shy of Rank 3 gunsmith so I'll have to wait until next week to get Ace of Spades.

Is it the Fatebringer successor many wanted it to be?

With its range, I'm kinda hoping it will be PvP viable too.

Or grind out for those fusion rifle consumable drops for the Gunsmith. :p You know you want to haha.

DY_nasty

edit: well shit, it dropped me right at the boss room solo lmao

PSN: DY_nastyIV

open invitations to shotgun tag these bosses for that quest

Top Bottom