• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT31| The Courted Oryx (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

zewone

The PVP "Nightfall" bounty is pretty ridiculous.

Nightfall usually takes 30 minutes, an hour tops.

PVP "Nightfall" takes several hours with many random elements or the need for 6 players to eliminate some of those random elements.

If I get Strange Coins out of this, I'm going to flip.

neoism

ah do I have to do Venus first for the quest? I haven't done those yet

One stack of 5? I don't like that either :(

What's wrong with someone wanting to do 30 strikes over the course of a week and using a 3oC on each, if they have the coins to spend on it?

it more than likely just ups the % when using them more than they wanted..... but they should make it so you have to finish the mission the use another and just tweak the % boost it gives..

Gordon

So Telesto is pretty sweet. Decent damage - takes down majors with one shot that would normally take two, and the range is insane - the projectiles don't seem to care how far away a target is - they'll stick and kill it regardless, if you can get them to hit it.

As far as 3oC goes, I'm sure they'll just tack on a cooldown to make farming with it slower. It's a shame though - after invalidating my massive collection of gear it's kinda nice to be able to use my sarcastically large stack of coins to get some back. You know what would be cool? If they made 3oC cost or consume exotic shards. That would offset the farmability a bit but still let it feel like a fairish trade for the whole deprecating year one stuff deal - break down my Invective and use its parts to try to get a new one.

neoism

soo guys can two people help me with the NF im Llv 277 now is that good enough? never done the NF yet!

psn ne0ism-

One bug I've noticed - the game will throw away any extra legendary marks you get if you are close to cap. I'm at 186 marks and just finished a quest that was supposed to give 20 but got zero. So burn those marks on stuff if you are above 170, just so you don't accidently throw them away. They don't show up at the postmaster or anything.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Goddamn this Oryx fight.

Oryx fight be like
826.gif

X-Frame

Anybody got the Antiquated Rune or know how to get one? I need the last Tier 3 CoO for the 300 Artifact

PSN: Viewtifuljc, light level 290

I'd like to know this too. If I can't get one myself today at the very least I'd like to tag along with someone who does to complete that quest. I'm 290+ too.

ocean

Banned
My artifact is holding me back.

I need 3 Stolen and 1 Antiquated Rune Summon Victories.

I don't have any Stolen or Antiquated Runes.

Going from my current 275 Artifact to the 300 Artifact rewarded from this quest would be super sweet. If anybody else needs this and actually has the required runes to start it up, let me know please!

I'm still exhausted from the 12 hour marathon yesterday. Reaching Oryx was such a thrill

Sullichin

Okay first off, "Draksis" isn't being patched.

I dunno why but it totally bugs me when it seems like people are just following the instructions given for doing a trick to get a reward without actually understanding what makes it work.

Draksis is just an ultra boss. Basically a yellow-bar enemy with a unique name. There's nothing particularly special about him with regard to 3oC except that he's in an easy mission with a checkpoint right by him. If anything about Draksis is patched rather than the mechanism of the Three of Coins, everyone will just find another easily spammable boss and grind there instead. People were already doing it with the Gate Lord beforehand, etc. They work on named bosses out on Patrol like the Taken Champions, the bosses that pop out of Blight missions sometimes, the unique VIP enemies (Troll Patrol), named story bosses and minibosses, etc.

Second, "working as intended" is maybe a liiiitle misleading? It is technically correct (the best kind of correct), but they certainly aren't being used as intended. It's extremely obvious to me, and should be to anyone if you just think about how they work for a second, that Bungie never intended players to use coins on multiple loot rolls per minute to maximize their chances of getting ten, twenty or more exotics over the course of an hour of play. It's their fault for not designing around it, no doubt about it. Have at it while it's around if you have no qualms about this kind of thing, sure. But it's just super obvious that it's not intended.

Bleh, please no :(

One of the best things about the 3oC for me is that they work on bosses as varied as named bosses that pop up in patrol or Vanilla story missions on earth. The chance that an exotic engram could pop out of one of them is exciting and fun and good for the game. It also makes exotic hunting versus buying (with the same healthy dose of randomness as always) a viable option for solo players when doing patrols, their daily story, etc. When you're trying to correct abuse of an in-game mechanic you have to weigh the solution against the side effects it would have on legitimate users and that one would suck hard.

Furthermore, your solution just literally moves the problem from one person detonating himself along with a story boss to a fireteam detonating themselves along with a strike boss. The exact "checkpoint abuse" you're talking about being unintended would remain exactly as effective!

The entire problem is the rate at which the chances can be consumed and thus go through huge stacks of coins in one spot during what would otherwise be hours of gameplay throughout the game. That's all that needs to be addressed. If there's a 10 minute cooldown and someone literally still wants to go to Draksis, kill themselves to repeat, wait 9 minutes and 45 seconds, and do it again- at that point I say so be it. They get 6 chances per hour they aren't spending on earning anything else at all.

Yeah you're right, the best solution is the cool down. although it doesn't really need to apply to easy year one bosses who never drop any Y2 stuff otherwise.

I'd like to know this too. If I can't get one myself today at the very least I'd like to tag along with someone who does to complete that quest. I'm 290+ too.

Going from my current 275 Artifact to the 300 Artifact rewarded from this quest would be super sweet. If anybody else needs this and actually has the required runes to start it up, let me know please!

I'm still exhausted from the 12 hour marathon yesterday. Reaching Oryx was such a thrill

Anyone got an Antiquated Rune? Have two folks in need of doing a single Tier 3.

Antiquated Rune struggle is real right now :(

Falifax

I have an Antiquated Rune.

We need to beat that bastard god dammit.

ah do I have to do Venus first for the quest? I haven't done those yet

One stack of 5? I don't like that either :(

What's wrong with someone wanting to do 30 strikes over the course of a week and using a 3oC on each, if they have the coins to spend on it?

no.

3oC requires chance

It would reduce your game time drastically if you manage to get all your exotic gear in one week compared to a moderate amount of chances per week, those chances would keep you playing more time doing raids and events instead of grinding ultras being your priority in the main game.

Yeah you're right, the best solution is the cool down. although it doesn't really need to apply to easy year one bosses who never drop any Y2 stuff otherwise.

Maybe Y1 bosses drop Y1 exotic and Y2 bosses drop Y2 exotic engrams?

One bug I've noticed - the game will throw away any extra legendary marks you get if you are close to cap. I'm at 186 marks and just finished a quest that was supposed to give 20 but got zero. So burn those marks on stuff if you are above 170, just so you don't accidently throw them away. They don't show up at the postmaster or anything.

Wow, so if you don't have room to claim the whole reward, it just throws the whole thing out. Good to know.

Definity

Anyone want to get a team together and give
golgoroth
(2nd raid boss) a try around 4PM eastern? I should have a couple of hours to burn. I have the checkpoint but not a team. 290+ light preferred.

Team: (2 hour max run, then we call it quits):

1. Definity
2. GalacticToast
3. robertlebrone

Gordon

They actually do drop Y2 stuff though - at least all of the green stuff I got in there was new

X-Frame

Arrrammis

Is there anyone who needs or can help me with the "make the vanguard smile" part 2? It's super easy, but the randoms I load in with keep killing the boss before I can get the 8 sniper shank kills I need.
PSN: Arrrammis

Top Bottom