• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWood12

LT unfortunately had to drop out, Need 1 for KF starting at Golgoroth. It's getting a little late for me on a Sunday so someone 300+ would be a huge help but will take anyone.

So sorry guys. We keep getting sick in this house. Wife went to bed sick and baby unexpectedly woke up. So I'm on duty.

it's unsalvageable when something goes wrong. VoG and Crotas End atleast were salvageable when someone messed up or something went wrong.

I mean, aesthetically it's great.

they don't stick to this type of mechanic where the boss is invulnerable until a damage phase is hit

-Most people didn't play much Skolas, but that encounter was brilliant for allowing salvageable runs while still challenging the player. Templar is the only comparable boss. The 4 sync plates are a serious problem on Daughters-Oryx since it locks 4 (technically 3) people onto a very small piece of geometry.

-I agree about KF aesthetics, it looks and plays extremely well on first impression.

-That basic structure of "mechanics phase" to create DPS window followed by "DPS phase" to kill the boss is ubiquitous in raids. Probably overused by now, another thing Skolas did well. They missed a great opportunity with Crota to throw six swords into a pit with other mechanics to juggle but a boss that could be damaged liberally.

Give the players fun toys and we'll do fun things with them. Tell us exactly what to do and when to do it and we'll get bored.

Draksis, or whatever, just dipped out on me. I was killing stuff looking for heavy and he disappeared. I ran around looking for him for a minute or so and the mission just ended.

-Most people didn't play much Skolas, but that encounter was brilliant for allowing salvageable runs while still challenging the player. Templar is the only comparable boss. The 4 sync plates are a serious problem on Daughters-Oryx since it locks 4 (technically 3) people onto a very small piece of geometry.

-I agree about KF aesthetics, it looks and plays extremely well on first impression.

-That basic structure of "mechanics phase" to create DPS window followed by "DPS phase" to kill the boss is ubiquitous in raids. Probably overused by now, another thing Skolas did well. They missed a great opportunity with Crota to throw six swords into a pit with other mechanics to juggle but a boss that could be damaged liberally.

Give the players fun toys and we'll do fun things with them. Tell us exactly what to do and when to do it and we'll get bored.

Yeah. Skolas was fucking awesome. The mechanical design was great. But that's also why it was hard-it was full on MMO raid fight mechanics. Juggling the debuff, having to move to dismantle mines, and during the first phase worrying about the damage phase.

I guess what I'm talking about when I say the DPS phase is bad is like..yeah MMO's have that, but they have gradual fights that have you constantly DPSing, but situations are created where you stop DPSing not because the boss is invulnerable, but because something else gets in your way. Like, there's a fight in WoW called The Iron Maidens which combines movement, switching damage from bosses, and a phase where you have to avoid shit blowing up around you, as well as phases where you have to worry about deadly skills. The Oryx fight has this. It's the most mechanically intense fight of the raid because there's alot of things to watch out for, and you can kinda mess up without wiping(When it comes to just the blights.) Every other fight in the raid falls short of it. Warpriest and Golgoroth both suffer from 'Adds then boss then adds again'. Sure they both have unique mechanics(Keeping up the damage buff/Gaze) but it's mechanically lame of sorts, there's not more to it then that. The Totem Boss fight is a great example as well, the objective is to do a sort of relay race while taking care of adds and worrying about a debuff(Like Skolas of sorts). I actually wish you had to manually 'pick up' the buff like the Skolas debuff, not because it's artificial difficulty but it increases the amount of communication.

I guess what I'm saying is I dislike the 'boss is invulnerable until you trigger DPS phase'. Don't have the boss fights be spikes within a path,-the spikes being where you damage the boss-have the bosses be a challenge where multiple things are happening whilst keeping damage on the boss. A hectic boss fight is good. The only thing Skolas suffered from was the immense amount of adds it threw at you, the only flaw really.

SheHateMe

Oryx-only kill, starting ASAP if everyone is available.

1.) Drizzay
2.) Doomguy
3.) SheHateMe
4.) Gotstrange
5.) LuckyDoobage
6.) RexNovis

Does everyone still want to do this now? I'm just sorting my vault, can start whenever.

*Lord Shaxx voice* Kill Oryx, Guardian!

Mindlog

A lot of the quests are rage inducing in how stupid they are.
The Crucible quests.
wjEcQFd.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is everyone keeping or even using their raid weapons? I'm keeping one of each because that's what I did for the previous raid weapons, but now that infusing is a thing, I'm having second thoughts.
I don't think that 310 raid handcannon I got is EVER going to be useful.
keeping 1 of each because I can't not. I only actually like the LMG (though I admittedly love it). everyone is complaining about dupes and I'm sitting here like YES because it means I can infuse guns I actually enjoy, which there are quite a few of indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom