• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to wait. Just pop them like candy. I'll almost always get one by the third kill, and at this point I get annoyed if it isn't by the second kill. I've never had to do more than 4.

Didn't bungie fix, so when you killed him and yourself you still completed the mission? What are the steps you are taking?

Kyne

Chaperone will soon rise. Believe it.

In other words I can't wait until IB. I -need- that new Titan gear and I'm so fucking tired of getting sniped by OG Felwinters (I have one, but it's long retired after y2 started).

I keep hearing that the MG from the raid is the only thing viable, but (as someone who has never used a pulse rifle EVER) Smite of Merain just feels so good. I have another Hakke pulse rifle that has literally all better stats, but doesn't feel as good. It's weird.

Builds will probably be as followed:

Hawkmoon
Conspiracy Theory D
The Vertigo

or

Smite of Merain
The Mother-fucking Chaperone
100.gif

The Vertigo

TP-DK

Just had a Skirmish match where one of my teammates had zero points.. No kills, no assists and no revives. He was there through the whole match and he did move around but I dont think he ever fires his weapon.

And some how my team still won.

Gordon

So Reddit says that you can earn a lot of glimmer and motes by collecting a full set of blues, and leveling them the minnimum needed with motes, and then dismantling them, instead of just dismantling them right away... Seems like too much to think about.
Doesn't everybody do this to level gear? I stockpile all of my blue trash from CoO so when I get something I want to level I can use motes and use the blues to keep the motes coming while the gear I care about is levelling up. Takes 6 motes to max out a blue heavy, which dismantles for 2. Other gear slots take more, but it doesn't take long to "go off" and I usually end up with more motes than I started with unless I run out of fodder for a couple slots early on in the process.

Tovarisc

Apparently rangefinder only adds like 5% to shotgun range now. It was nerfed from 20% a while back

Y1 shotties are mostly what I face. I guess we'll see about the new shotties this week. Never came across a shotgun with smooth ballistics, rangefinder and rifled barrel, but it doesn't sound good for my guardian's health.

It may not be as insane as it used to be, but with that perk combo I have on my Conspiracy I can snipe people from ranges similar if not even longer as BIS rolled legacy Y1 shotties. It's just crazy that, at least for me, shotgun PvP meta is unchanged from Y1 to Y2. Downside is very low rate of fire meaning you have to actually land those shots because usually you don't get time to do follow up shot, with legacy Y1 shotties you can spam shots out fast.

It's very nasty for health of Guardians, worse than eating year straight only McDonald's.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Chaperone will soon rise. Believe it.

In other words I can't wait until IB. I -need- that new Titan gear and I'm so fucking tired of getting sniped by OG Felwinters (I have one, but it's long retired after y2 started).

I keep hearing that the MG from the raid is the only thing viable, but (as someone who has never used a pulse rifle EVER) Smite of Merain just feels so good. I have another Hakke pulse rifle that has literally all better stats, but doesn't feel as good. It's weird.

Builds will probably be as followed:

Hawkmoon
Conspiracy Theory D
The Vertigo

or

Smite of Merain
The Mother-fucking Chaperone
100.gif

The Vertigo

I will actually be using that second build myself, except my heavy will rotate depending on the map. Some maps just beg for a sword.

X-Frame

How much stronger is Raze-Lighter compared to Dark-Drinker against single targets? Talking about their R2 super attacks.

My spinning void attack on the Dark-Drinker seems to still do tons of single target damage while also being AoE. Is the Raze-Lighter's Phoenix Uppercut that much more damaging?

For example. I solo'd the T3 boss last night and killed her using my Supermassive Vortex attack 3 times.

Strider

So Reddit says that you can earn a lot of glimmer and motes by collecting a full set of blues, and leveling them the minnimum needed with motes, and then dismantling them, instead of just dismantling them right away... Seems like too much to think about.

I saw this last night.

Way more effort than what I'm willing to put in... Especially for a resource I have hundreds of anyway

noomi

Chaperone is beastly if used correctly. Gotta get those headshots with it, other wise its a 2 hit kill to the body.

I still think that the conspiracy D is an all around great shotgun as well.

Mupod

I've been messing around with the raid fusion rifle and this thing is VERY weird if not bugged. It's the most inaccurate joke weapon of all time when aimed down the sights but when fired from the hip it's pretty usable...

Wait... what!? lol

I didn't even get them that rate on that first weekend! Seriously, just keep farming him as per week one? Pop ToC, rush in kill some adds for ammo, kill Mr. D and respawn right away and keep going?

Yes and no. This only works for me after a bit of time trying to do it "as intended". If I'm popping 3oC at every Ultra I come across during normal gameplay, and haven't seen an exotic after an hour or so, then I stop by and re-live the good old days with Draksis.

For example, last night I had to kill 6 Taken Lieutenants on patrol. That involved 2 Ultras (the Champions), then I ran Fear's Embrace which had the Echo as an Ultra. That was 3 tries and about one and a half hours of play. I had one Exotic on the first Champion, then an hour and a half later I didn't get one from the Echo, so I Woke the Draksis. Got an Exotic on the third try.

maomaoIYP

Trials

The Villany (outlaw/grenadier/injection mold) or
Suros PDX-41 (perfect balance/icarus/lightweight)
Stillpiercer or Conspiracy Theory-D
Truth

I've been messing around with the raid fusion rifle and this thing is VERY weird if not bugged. It's the most inaccurate joke weapon of all time when aimed down the sights but when fired from the hip it's pretty usable...

agreed, it does not function like its stats suggest. The telesto just shits all over it.

GutZ31

How much stronger is Raze-Lighter compared to Dark-Drinker against single targets? Talking about their R2 super attacks.

My spinning void attack on the Dark-Drinker seems to still do tons of single target damage while also being AoE. Is the Raze-Lighter's Phoenix Uppercut that much more damaging?

For example. I solo'd the T3 boss last night and killed her using my Supermassive Vortex attack 3 times.
It's negligible.
Some times I can't even tell the difference in there DPS. They also take almost the same amount of time to ready for next R2.

To add to this, I think we can distinguish between DPS phases that are timed, and those that are driven by the players. With Oryx we spend a lot of time running around waiting or otherwise setting up to deal damage to him; same with that big knight dude at the mid point. The Templar fight in VoG is in theory similar, but the damage window is triggered by the players, is coordinated, and can be shortened by the relic holder being efficient in charging it up. Because they're player driven cycles, they don't feel like busy work to me.

My first impression with the KF bosses was there was too much standing in position waiting to do damage, rather than manipulating the situation ala Templar, which I much prefer.

This is such a good insight and makes me hold the Templar fight in much higher regard (not that I disliked it before).

Additionally, the Templar fight, while also having invulnerability phases, isn't padded out by boring add-only phases like War Priest and Golgoroth. The team is consistently focusing on the boss or the fight mechanics (oracles, detainment). Compare that to War Priest and Golgoroth where the majority of the fight is just shooting adds until the game allows you to damage the boss again. (I mean, I get why the add waves are there. It's to allow us to gather up special/heavy ammo and charge our supers, but that's only because the HP is set so stupidly high that those are required to be able to clear the boss before enrage.) My point is that add-only waves are not enjoyable.

As you point out, think how much better those fights would be if you could continuously have the brand/gaze and were allowed to work as a team on deciding when and how to damage the boss. Instead of a forced add wave in between damage phases, they should have a mechanic like Oracles or reclaiming the brand. Something other than standing still with my Hung Jury and sniping Acolytes from afar.

Just got my third Zhalo Supercell and I'm not playing a lot. Aside from the year two Hawkmoon that's the only exotic weapon that's dropped for me so far.

This is such a good insight and makes me hold the Templar fight in much higher regard (not that I disliked it before).

Additionally, the Templar fight, while also having invulnerability phases, isn't padded out by boring add-only phases like War Priest and Golgoroth. The team is consistently focusing on the boss or the fight mechanics (oracles, detainment). Compare that to War Priest and Golgoroth where the majority of the fight is just shooting adds until the game allows you to damage the boss again. (I mean, I get why the add waves are there. It's to allow us to gather up special/heavy ammo and charge our supers, but that's only because the HP is set so stupidly high that those are required to be able to clear the boss before enrage.) My point is that add-only waves are not enjoyable.

As you point out, think how much better those fights would be if you could continuously have the brand/gaze and were allowed to work as a team on deciding when and how to damage the boss. Instead of a forced add wave in between damage phases, they should have a mechanic like Oracles or reclaiming the brand. Something other than standing still with my Hung Jury and sniping Acolytes from afar.

Templar itself doesn't technically have add only phases but that section of VoG definitely does have pure trash mob waves.

Waldini

So, to do 2 Swords.

My Titan currently has my "Arc Exotic". My first sword.

My Hunter can pick up the Solar. My Warlock has the quest "ready".

From where do I pick up? I'm not against grinding the shit out of 'em both though ... but if there's an easy way ... teeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I have two 1,000 Yard Stares (both void)

Would anyone good at evaluating perks care to advise? Apart from one or two perks that I know I'm generally just confused looking at them.

a) Tier 2 - Last Resort
Tier 3 - Skip rounds / Rifled barrel / Mutiny
Tier 4 - FIREFLY (this one i know)

b) Tier 2 - Eye of the Storm
Tier 3 - Quick draw / Injection mold / Sword of Aegeus
Tier 4 - Unflinching

For PvP or PvE?

What are the scopes on each one? I'm assuming option (a) is the quest reward which means it has Shortgaze which is a good thing. Quick Draw and Unflinching are great PvP perks but it depends on what scopes it has.

Anyone doing the beginning of the raid? Never done it and Im needing gear to get past 287 light.

Yo Greeny, sorry for not getting back to you on PSN, I'm terrible w those messages. What time were you looking to run it? I could hopefully help out later tonight. 287 is totally fine as long as we have a decent group.

EL CUCO

I'm thinking about doing the Void sword with my Titan, am I crazy?
I did it. Wasnt too bad. Woke the Hive with Armamentarium + Magnetic grenade + Any weapon with Grenadier.

Just wait till the Thralls gather up in middle, drop nade, do it again with 2nd nade. Shoot adds with Grenadier weapon to charge nades, Wipe, repeat.

Got into a nice rhythm and took about an hour.

Number45

Omg relic crystals and void kills done. Feel like solar is going to be so much worse since don't think there is any trick like the night stalker tether for void kills.
This reminds me: I've done the void kills on my titan (yes yes, you can stop laughing) - what's preferred for arc and solar between warlock and hunter? Golden gun and sith lord?

noomi

For those doing the swords, I would suggest doing them all on your hunter.

The Dark Beyond, put on your lucky raspberry (works with all sub-classes), wait for thralls to group up, toss nade, get kills and wipe, spawn with nade... rinse and repeat.

Took me about 25min per each sword to get ability kills. Mind numbing but the easiest/quickest way in my opinion.

So, to do 2 Swords.

From where do I pick up? I'm not against grinding the shit out of 'em both though ... but if there's an easy way ... teeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Transfer the two swords to one character, lvl one up to 280+ and max the nodes on just one, when you get to the part of the quest where you need to farm materials that is when you need to max out the nodes and lvl up the other sword to 280+

Greenymac

For PvP or PvE?

What are the scopes on each one? I'm assuming option (a) is the quest reward which means it has Shortgaze which is a good thing. Quick Draw and Unflinching are great PvP perks but it depends on what scopes it has.

Yo Greeny, sorry for not getting back to you on PSN, I'm terrible w those messages. What time were you looking to run it? I could hopefully help out later tonight. 287 is totally fine as long as we have a decent group.

Im around all day except late night, Id be ready to make a go of it at anytime. My body is Ready...

X-Frame

For those doing the swords, I would suggest doing them all on your hunter.

The Dark Beyond, put on your lucky raspberry (works with all sub-classes), wait for thralls to group up, toss nade, get kills and wipe, spawn with nade... rinse and repeat.

Took me about 25min per each sword to get ability kills. Mind numbing but the easiest/quickest way in my opinion.

Personally, I got mine in Mayhem on my Hunter. Each ability kill in PvP counts as 1% so that's 100 total kills. Using my Gunslinger I was able to get about 15 ability kills on average in Mayhem Rumble. Plus it's way more fun than grinding PvE kills, at least to me!

GutZ31

So, to do 2 Swords.

Get your swords, they should be attack 220.
Get one sword to 280+ attack, and level it completely to start the quest for exotic sword.
Complete quest, 50 major kills, 25 guardian kills with sword, don't turn it in.
Put all remaining swords you haven't leveled up onto the character that you completed the quest on and waiting to turn in.
Level the other sword(s) to 280+, fully upgrade/fill all bubbles.
Turn in the quest, and now all legendary swords should be ready to take on the knight in the asylum.
Kill the knight with whatever sword you want, and turn in the quest. You should get a quest for every sword in your inventory.

Now it's collect and ability kills.

Nerf that only affect legacy shotties from Y1, stuff like Conspiracy with rangefinder perk will be unaffected by this nerf.

Smooth Ballistics, Rangefinder and Rifled Barrel, talk about sniper with shotgun model.
Been comparing the reward Conspiracy to my Party Crasher and Matador with shot package and rangefinder just doesn't compare. Saw a 280 Party Crasher drop with shot package in Crucible last night. Keep on trollin, Bungie!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This reminds me: I've done the void kills on my titan (yes yes, you can stop laughing) - what's preferred for arc and solar between warlock and hunter? Golden gun and sith lord?

yes, that's what I did. I did both in PvP though.

I'd do both on Hunter since you'd only have to do the PvP and Major kills portion one more time. Or just do all three on your Titan since you already did the worst one.

Hunter is best for Arc. Fast twitch melee + Monte Carlo + sealed Ahamkara gauntlets = constant arc melee kills. Use Arc Blade w Encore for very long supers. Siege of the Warmind on low difficulty.

If you like PvP then Mayhem Rumble would be good for Solar. Each ability kill in Crucible gives 1% progress, Golden Gun all day.

Edit: wow so many suggestions already.

Sullichin

Got the Azoth Bend I Warlock Helmet from a sublime engram. Gotta say I'm liking the PS Exclusive armor for Hunter and Warlock more than the vendor sets that can drop from engrams.

noomi

PVP loadouts for this week:

Iron Banner
Apple of Discord
Chaperone
Objection IV

Trials
Red Death
Conspiracy Theory-D
The Vertigo

I've had weird matches with the apple of discord... not really sure how I feel about it. Some matches I do very well with it, and some I feel like I just can't compete. Maybe it's the rate of fire....?

RexNovis

Banned
Nvm guts has me covered

Get one sword to 280+ attack, and level it completely to start the quest for exotic sword.
Put all remaining swords you haven't leveled up onto the character that you completed the quest on and waiting to turn in.
Turn in the quest, and now all legendary swords should be ready to take on the knight in the asylum.
Kill the knight with whatever sword you want, and turn in the quest. You should get a quest for every sword in your inventory.

Thanks Guts!

I've had weird matches with the apple of discord... not really sure how I feel about it. Some matches I do very well with it, and some I feel like I just can't compete. Maybe it's the rate of fire....?

I've got one with full auto, crowd control and fitted stock, it should be a beast on paper but I can't get on with it at all, same with hawksaw. Luckily I love using Red Death

Took me a while to get used to it, but has the same ROF/Impact as Red Death and better base range/stability. It also frees up an exotic slot of The Chaperone.

Pretty sure you can also skip the Asylum Knight step also. I got the arc sword to the "collect and ability kills step" then transferred and maxed out my void sword. Exotic void sword quest started at the collect and ability kills.

Templar itself doesn't technically have add only phases but that section of VoG definitely does have pure trash mob waves.

When are there pure trash mob waves? Confluxes has lots of add waves, but you're trying to prevent them from sacrificing. Oracles has tons of adds, but they're continuous and are mixed in with the actual mechanic of killing Oracles. In both cases, you're never barred from progressing the fight just to fight trash.

Supplicants & Harpies are indeed add-only waves, but at the very least, they're mechanically different. The location of killing supplicants has to be managed. The Harpies can be engaged, but they come so hard and fast, most teams flee, which is kind of interesting and really the only time that happens in Destiny.

The add-only phases of War Priest and Golgoroth never present any different mechanics or anything interesting. There's no danger like there is in the Templar Suite.

D_psipher

Personally, I got mine in Mayhem on my Hunter. Each ability kill in PvP counts as 1% so that's 100 total kills. Using my Gunslinger I was able to get about 15 ability kills on average in Mayhem Rumble. Plus it's way more fun than grinding PvE kills, at least to me!

I did this on my Sunbreaker. It was glorious. I was getting about 15% of my ability kills per match. I can't recommend this method enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom