• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol exactly.

If you never got all the weapons you wanted, there would be a greater chance you would keep playing until the expansion.

No I wouldn't. I will have The Evil Within this Tuesday so Destiny goes on the backburner then(after I do the weekly stuff). Same for Dragon Age Inquisition in November. The amount of people on my friends list playing this game daily has already plummeted and I doubt it was because they got every thing they want.

Most people don't want to grind like this. Also I was not going to play Destiny at all this weekend, but now I will because I want to level up my new exotic gun and chest piece.

MADGAME

Well, I am not a hypocrite. I have never purchased any weapon or armor from Xur. Don't see the point of a loot game when the best/exotic pieces can be purchases. It just takes away the fun from finding them. Really, Bungie's logic doesn't make sense. They equipped everyone with the best weapons in the game. The Suros is too dominant in PVP now, and the Ice Breaker everywhere will make PVE a joke even more. There are guns I want badly (Plan C and Patience) but will not buy them if Xur sells it.

Wasn't calling anyone out in particular, and certainly some have steadfast opinions on the matter. I do see both sides:

Such an uphill grind for weapons - those with jobs/families/limited time/etc will always be outclassed and never access the best content.

vs.

Make some of the best (and shittiest, to be fair) exotics available so those who have the coin can have the same experience.

Honestly though, how does it affect your experience outside of PvP? Even if you are a pure PvP'er, this shouldn't upset you as each time Xur provides opportunities it makes the Crucible deadlier and theoretically more challenging, making you a better player in the long run. For PvE, you now have more powerful allies.

Ken

Man, I feel like some of you guys can only enjoy the game now if Xur-bought Ice Breakers and other exotics came with a special mark of shame in order to elevate your RNG-given exotics to some imaginary status of superiority over the plebeian Xur Ice Breakers.

E92 M3

No issue for you then if you just won't buy it. Don't get mad that other people don't want to grind forever though.

I don't grind either. Just saying there are other weapons that can be sold without giving away the best goods available. How is it a good gameplay decision to sell (for cheap) one of the best rewards available in the game? I am just speaking from the perspective of keeping the game enticing. Keeps people playing when they want something.

Nonetheless, it's cool everyone got it now.

Wasn't calling anyone out in particular, and certainly some have steadfast positions. I do see both sides:

Such an uphill grind for weapons - those with jobs/families/limited time/etc will always be outclassed and never access the best content.

vs.

Make some of the best (and shittiest, to be fair) exotics available so those who have the coin can have the same experience.

Honestly though, how does it affect your experience outside of PvP? Even if you are a pure PvP'er, this shouldn't upset you as each time Xur provides opportunities it makes the Crucible deadlier and theoretically more challenging, making you a better player in the long run. For PvE, you now have more powerful allies.

I didn't buy the Suro, because it's the expected gun to be used. Now though, seems like it's mandatory. For PVE, I can see people just stop playing because they got all of the weapons they want and will just wait for DLC, so a possible population decrease.

Either way, I don't want you guys thinking I am "mad" just voicing my opinion about how Bungie is handling exotic loot.

Man, I feel like some of you guys can only enjoy the game now if Xur-bought Ice Breakers and other exotics came with a special mark of shame in order to elevate your RNG-given exotics to some imaginary status of superiority over the plebeian Xur Ice Breakers.

It's not about that all. To me it's about not selling the most sought after gear (even for stuff I want). I'd rather not have it, then it be sold. Yes, it's weird - but I enjoy working for elusive rewards.

Eric WK

Guys I've had the Knucklehead Radar exotic helm for my Hunter alt for a while but today I gambled on the helmet Engram and got the Achlyophage Symbiote.

Which is "better"? I assume the Knucklehead is better for PvE and the Symbiote for PvP?

Yep. That's accurate.

Futaba

Never thought i'd say it, but i miss old cryptarch..
tumblr_nckd09ybkc1rusaoqo1_500.gif

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Bit disappointing Xur didn't have different armour for the Titan, would of liked to check out the leg piece.

Because those people PLAYED THE GAME and got rewarded with the Ice Breaker. Whether it was from a loot cave or from Nightfall. They were playing the game and got the gun randomly. The math gods smiled upon them.

They didnt' walk up to a corner store and buy it.

arimanius

Man that's the helm I want for my Titan but ice breaker maybe to good to pass up. I have no exotics yet for this guy and I have family over this weekend so I can't play to try to get both. :(

Ken

Because those people PLAYED THE GAME and got rewarded with the Ice Breaker. Whether it was from a loot cave or from Nightfall. They were playing the game and got the gun randomly. The math gods smiled upon them.

And how do people get Strange Coins to afford Ice Breakers?

Futaba

To be fair, they played the game for the strange coins, too.

Shito

At this point they are just trolling all of us who have put over 100hrs into the game grinding for the best weapons.
They are not trolling, they are confirming how this game is supposed to be played, and how they want people to play this game.
ie: you don't HAVE to farm the game in the hope for a lucky loot to drop one day, like what we're used to with games like Diablo or Borderland, but instead you're rewarded by playing the game in a daily fashion, slowly grinding out reputation / marks / coins / motes.

They are not *giving* anything, they are rewarding people who played this game for a long time. I have been playing the game 1 to 2 hours per day ever since it launched, and I've only 10 strange coins. I'll be trying to hit 19 tonight with people who proposed their help in this topic.

Getting lucky on an exotic drop / decoding is NOT the normal way to gear up in this game, this is the *bonus* way.
Normal way is buying those things, and in order to do so you have to play the game on a regular basis. It's not like Xur will sell this gun forever. They're only there for two days, and a lot of people will miss it, like I missed on Suros.

panda-zebra

PSA: You can abuse ice breaker to replenish ammo for other secondary weapons.
Secondary reaches 0 rounds
Switch to Ice breaker, allow it to charge to 6
Switch back to chosen secondary, in my case, Epitatch sniper rifle - 4 rounds in chamber, 7 in reserve.

That's interesting, what I currently do when out of sniper ammo is spam all primary and rocket ammo from other weapons to zero and wait half a minute for a lucky dip free ammo refill. That often gives my P&T 24 rounds though and occasionally any number of rockets.

So i got exotic chest and gauntlet. I decided to try my luck with the head engram, and i get "Skull Of Dire Ahamkara" all im missing is an exotic boot, and raid boot.

So my best weapon before yesterday was a void sniper I got from the queen's bounty. My main primary was a crappy lvl 19 green auto rifle. Got my vanguard level to 3 and got a super pox vlo as a reward, then bought a shadow price with my marks. Now I got ice breaker with my coins. It finally feels like I have the equipment to actually hold my own in higher level stuff. Best time I've had on destiny yet.

Daemul

It is weird how the best exotic weapons in their category have been up for sale, normally those are left to the mercy of RNG, but Xur is giving them away. I don't mind though, the more people who have the Ice Breaker and GH, the easier getting past the hard mode raid will be.

Haines

Banned

Buy it with coins earned by playing??

You guys are bloody hilarious.

HunRevan

Wait! Isn't Ice Breaker supposed to regenerate ammo over time? I don't see that ability...

Edit: I didn't say a thing. I thought it needs to be unlocked.

Nodnol

I wonder if, actually, Ice Breaker helps diversify things a little bit.

Seeing as you can only equip one Exotic weapon at a time, it atleast asks a question for all the Suros users. As time goes on, you'd hope it would diversify enough that we're not all running the same set-ups.

There is a lack of variety at the top end of things though, probably more so for armor. It's sad really; Bungie should be adding in different gear sets, and maybe look at transmogrification. I will bet anything, that come the expansions, the new Raids will give you Raid Gear styled in the image of whatever the Raid boss is (VoG = Vex, HoW = Fallen and TDB = Hive (what's the betting a third unannounced DLC is Cabal focused?)). Still, even then, what sort of monstrosity are we going to look like!? There needs to be Raid-tier armor for all the factions, each with it's own distinctive style, all with their own requirement. Give these factions a bit more distinction and personality, as well as diversifying the end game gear.

Maybe for the time being, to help keep things interesting, Xur could sell an Exotic Weapon Engram, instead of a dedicated slot to a specific weapon. Garunteed to be an Exotic, but could be any weapon. Would help vary things, and we know Bungie likes their RNG.

Shito

Wait, Xur is selling the ice breaker this weekend?

lol this game, exotics handed out like candy.
This is the sane way to do this kind of things, though.
You want people to be aptly geared for end game content, and letting this aspect only in the hand of RNGesus is *NOT* good game design. I'd rather buy something powerful I feel like I've earned with time and dedication rather than randomly seeing it pop from a lvl 4 Dreg.

Jolder's Hammer is a really nice weapon with the Smart Drift Control and Field Scout upgrades.

Damn near pinpoint accurate and hits like a truck.

I'd definitely recommend grabbing it if you plan on taking Iron Banner to rank 3.

vakarian32

Damn fist of havoc is annoying in crucible when playing as a Defender, just popped my shield with Armor of Light, also had Barrier active and I still got one hit :p

So do we know what is happening after the Iron Banner closes? Bungie has really told us much aside from the fact that we know the first expansion is coming in December. Any speculation or legitimate idea out there?

Ken

Easily?

False.

Why is that false? Is killing the first Dreg out of the cave and having it drop a legendary engram that turns into Ice Breakers not easy? I'm pretty sure that's considered playing the game, and it's also governed by the same RNG that provided non-Xur Ice Breakers.

LiK

Strange Coins still require some effort to get and who knows. Maybe Xur will sell something else you want next week so you keep playing for more coins. The game will never let you leave.

hydruxo

So do we know what is happening after the Iron Banner closes? Bungie has really told us much aside from the fact that we know the first expansion is coming in December. Any speculation or legitimate idea out there?
Nothing yet. Hopefully they say something in the weekly update today.

Flo_Evans

Yeah it's Polar Oak.

It was White. God this is infuriating. I remember that Planet thing being a nice color too but I just saw some other dude wearing it in a strike and it nearly made me dry heave. I can't get over this. It defaults to the ugliest sickliest color possible. Puke Green. The Burial will probably be Puke Green as well.

I swear to god and all things good and holy if I use all my marks to buy my White Sparrow and it's not the color it says in the preview... I will yell at Bungie on Twitter. Yeah!

Class items can take on the shader color... Take off your shader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom