• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that atheon "fix" makes new raiders even more of a liability, why would I accept anyone who isn't optimally geared and kitted out for oracle destroying into my group now? Same goes for someone that's lower in level etc. I was fine with carrying previously since I feel everyone should get a shot at lvl 30(even though the RNGjeebus distinctly disagrees) but I probably won't bother at soon as the patch goes live. I guess they want even less of their playerbase to experience the raid.

Furthermore I find it odd that they would remove planning from a raid. This raid already suffers from class obsolesence in that there's no clear cut roles you could assign to any specific class. Maybe that's how they want it but it seems odd considering more traditional MMO raid style gameplay. Secondly, they distinctly teach you to set up teams by forcing you to split up to defend the plates and confluxes, yet now they don't want you teamed up and just want some random team to go in? I thought this raid was about teaching you gameplay "verbs", and it seemed to me like splitting up to form smaller focused teams is the very first gameplay "verb" it was teaching. The second being stand on stuff to make stuff activate and the third being all the loot is going to be assborne. Also something about oracles and instawipes, but whatever.

It also makes pickup play even more difficult, I could clear the raid with any group of randoms because I atleast knew what the fuck was going on. I knew what was going on because we spent like 5 minutes discussing a strategy and reworking if neccesary. Now there is no strategy besides go in and wait to see what sort of RNG rolls happen. If I have to somehow identify voices as to who got teleported, who's holding the relic and is cleansing, who's shooting the oracles, who has to call out which side they're on it's going to be a ridiculous infuriating mess of yelling in any random group. I honestly play this game to have fun but it seems like Bungie is intent on making this game frustrating and annoying. Instawiping because the lvl 26 guy got teleported into the oracle chambers instead of the lvl 30 that's quasi useless outside does not seem like fun to me.

Oh and the final caveat is that the raid is pointless if you don't succeed since none of the enemies give xp or have meaningful drops, so 4 hours of repeat failure is just 4 hours of failure, there is no silver lining or progress you're making if you don't make it. I already think that's beyond bullshit because you're utterly disincentivizing repeat runs to help friends or people that don't have a steady group to raid with. They literally make the "hardest" and most inspired content they have useless for a week after you beat it.

I did it! Solo'ed Atheon on hard. Thanks a lot to MADGAME for the check point. Had a taste of the last cheese before it's taken away. So good.

bWzo4zI.png
Congrats!

Yaari

Giving out Atheon save point on Hard. Hopefully while doing so I will encounter someone who can cheese him for me. This will be my one and only opportunity to kill him.

Psn Stfndt (No mic. I wont be able to respond)

Z3M0G

What is the best way to get one strange coin? I already did the weekly heroic strike... i only need one more for Xur!

Ambitious

How much longer than the normal raid does the hard one usually take?

Having reached level 29 yesterday, I should be ready, no? Did the normal raid twice (1x cheese, 1x legit)

ethomaz

Banned
How much longer than the normal raid does the hard one usually take?

Having reached level 29 yesterday, I should be ready, no? Did the normal raid twice (1x cheese, 1x legit)
There is no difference in time... just that it is more harder so depends of your team can reach the checkpoints without lose a lot of time.
It is perfectly possible to do it with few tries per checkpoint.

Tovarisc

So that atheon "fix" makes new raiders even more of a liability, why would I accept anyone who isn't optimally geared and kitted out for oracle destroying into my group now? Same goes for someone that's lower in level etc. I was fine with carrying previously since I feel everyone should get a shot at lvl 30(even though the RNGjeebus distinctly disagrees) but I probably won't bother at soon as the patch goes live. I guess they want even less of their playerbase to experience the raid.

Furthermore I find it odd that they would remove planning from a raid. This raid already suffers from class obsolesence in that there's no clear cut roles you could assign to any specific class. Maybe that's how they want it but it seems odd considering more traditional MMO raid style gameplay. Secondly, they distinctly teach you to set up teams by forcing you to split up to defend the plates and confluxes, yet now they don't want you teamed up and just want some random team to go in? I thought this raid was about teaching you gameplay "verbs", and it seemed to me like splitting up to form smaller focused teams is the very first gameplay "verb" it was teaching. The second being stand on stuff to make stuff activate and the third being all the loot is going to be assborne. Also something about oracles and instawipes, but whatever.

It also makes pickup play even more difficult, I could clear the raid with any group of randoms because I atleast knew what the fuck was going on. I knew what was going on because we spent like 5 minutes discussing a strategy and reworking if neccesary. Now there is no strategy besides go in and wait to see what sort of RNG rolls happen. If I have to somehow identify voices as to who got teleported, who's holding the relic and is cleansing, who's shooting the oracles, who has to call out which side they're on it's going to be a ridiculous infuriating mess of yelling in any random group. I honestly play this game to have fun but it seems like Bungie is intent on making this game frustrating and annoying. Instawiping because the lvl 26 guy got teleported into the oracle chambers instead of the lvl 30 that's quasi useless outside does not seem like fun to me.

Oh and the final caveat is that the raid is pointless if you don't succeed since none of the enemies give xp or have meaningful drops, so 4 hours of repeat failure is just 4 hours of failure, there is no silver lining or progress you're making if you don't make it. I already think that's beyond bullshit because you're utterly disincentivizing repeat runs to help friends or people that don't have a steady group to raid with. They literally make the "hardest" and most inspired content they have useless for a week after you beat it.

People were joking, Bungie though people actually were asking for this...

Z7HeRxU.png

cjp

Kicked out of the end of the daily with the zebra error code. Didn't have any of these issues before the patch which was supposed to fix the fucking things.

Nodnol

What's the latest thing to moan about?

I skimmed the BWU, and caught that they were patching the Atheon cheese; apart from that what else can we stomp around and complain about?

Tovarisc

What's the latest thing to moan about?

I skimmed the BWU, and caught that they were patching the Atheon cheese; apart from that what else can we stomp around and complain about?

I don't think anyone cares about cheese being patched, but "bug being fixed" so fight picks 3 players with 100% RNG is just bullshit.

Nodnol

I don't think anyone cares about cheese being patched, but "bug being fixed" so fight picks 3 players with 100% RNG is just bullshit.

Ahhhh so instead of just teleporting the furthest three players, it will be random?

If they do introduce matchmaking, it won't be so easy to have predefined roles that everyone has to adhere to, so I can see it being more important to be accomplished at various roles within the raid.

TTG

Help me choose a legendary scout rifle!

Aries Nemesis: http://www.destinydb.com/items/2167109421-the-aries-nemesis-x4#1.Mk0XVtT8

It will have Truesight Is(really good handling) and a larger magazine down the road as well as targets exploding if headshotted and added stability the longer it is fired.

OR There's also this guy: http://www.destinydb.com/items/2361563134-a-1f19x-ryl#1.Mk0XVtT8

16 Rounds in mag plus upgrade. Very nice. Only giving up a little range

Lastly there's also the cryptic dragon: http://www.destinydb.com/items/2167109420-cryptic-dragon#1.Mk0XVtT8

Largest base magazine at 19, but some relatively worthless upgrades at the moment.

I'm leaning towards the one with the stupid name, A.1. Down 10 points on rate of fire from cryptic dragon, but up 13 on impact and some range as well. I don't think I NEED the 80+ range of the aries either.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm the only one here that liked the random... for me it was the only way to work since begining.

Teleport the last 3 guys was always bullshit to me... makes no sense.

clap-clap-clap-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2244.gif

ocean

Banned
What I have: a Hard Checkpoint at Atheon.
What I need: someone who can cheese that sucker down to the depths of hell.

PS4 cheesemen, I need your help.

Jinjo

Luke Smith is just a bit miffed we ran his supposedly "hardest challenge in gaming" down to the ground and trivialized it. Don't worry Luke, I've already figured out a way to counteract your silly reliance on RNG.

The only loss next week is the freedom to play what and how we want. I thought that was the core design thought behind your game? Guess not.

Key2001

I'm the only one here that liked the random... for me it was the only way to work since begining.

Teleport the last 3 guys was always bullshit to me... makes no sense.

If you have a few regulars you run with, the changes won't be that big of a deal. The problem arises when you don't have a few others you regularly run the raid with and have to constantly go through the learning phase.

Personally, I think it is too much to expect someone to have to learn every aspect of the encounter on their first time through it. Even the majority of those stating the encounter is easy didn't have to learn to handle every aspect of the fight their first time through.

There should at least be a solo encounter in the game similar to the Sword of Croatia for the player to learn relic control. Either that or have it where the relic holder is teleported every time along with 2 random members.

Edit: It would also help if there was at least an halfway decent clan/guild system in place with a way to chat in-game outside of fireteams.

hEist

so, this is the last weekend, i have the chance to do the raid for the first time? After then, no one will invite a "newbie" to it.

Bravo Bungie...

panda-zebra

Will anyone be throwing three sunbros off the edge like so many Atheons to ensure the portal team go through after the "fix"*? Would it be viable?

read bandage botch papering Bungie's imagined cracks

Is anyone else having a problem with their ammo synths? I'm getting no ammo from about nine out of ten of them. Still get the cool down though.
so, this is the last weekend, i have the chance to do the raid for the first time? After then, no one will invite a "newbie" to it.

Bravo Bungie...

I'll do it with you if you can get a group together.

Nodnol

I really need to finish up the Raid. Me and four friends have been making stunted progress each week, with very limited time.

As I feared, before too long, anyone who doesn't have the experience under their belt will be the paupers of the Destiny world.

Help me choose a legendary scout rifle!

Aries Nemesis: http://www.destinydb.com/items/2167109421-the-aries-nemesis-x4#1.Mk0XVtT8

It will have Truesight Is(really good handling) and a larger magazine down the road as well as targets exploding if headshotted and added stability the longer it is fired.

OR There's also this guy: http://www.destinydb.com/items/2361563134-a-1f19x-ryl#1.Mk0XVtT8

16 Rounds in mag plus upgrade. Very nice. Only giving up a little range

Lastly there's also the cryptic dragon: http://www.destinydb.com/items/2167109420-cryptic-dragon#1.Mk0XVtT8

Largest base magazine at 19, but some relatively worthless upgrades at the moment.

I'm leaning towards the one with the stupid name, A.1. Down 10 points on rate of fire from cryptic dragon, but up 13 on impact and some range as well. I don't think I NEED the 80+ range of the aries either.

The A1 was my first legendary drop and has slightly different stats than the sold one from the quartermaster. It's been my main weapon ever since. Maxed out and especially with the recent SR buffs it's a beast. Reloads in a split second with precision kills which is what your kills should be when you use a SR.

I got the Cryptic Dragon as a drop at the start of the week and it's almost maxes now too. The larger magazine is nice but with super reload on the A1, you barely get a break between magazines so the A1 is still my go-to.

Haven't tried the first one you mentioned so I can't speak on it so I recommended the A1.

Jinjo

Will anyone be throwing three sunbros off the edge like so many Atheons to ensure the portal team go through after the "fix"*? Would it be viable?

read bandage botch papering Bungie's imagined cracks

That's my thought exactly. They're just making sunbro's even more OP for the raid than they already are. Starting my Warlock alt (which will become my main, since Bungie has a hard on for the 'locks) right now.

anddo0

It's decent for Oracle killing in portal group, but on Hard you typically have hunters doing most of the work in there anyway

The void damage makes it marginally useful for confluxes on hard because you usually want to take off mino shields before rocketing it unless you're using a maxed gjallarhorn.

It has some utility but not really worth the upgrade imo

Much better options exist for your primary

Can you give an example of a better non-raid primary?

ReNeGaDe124

Is anyone else having a problem with their ammo synths? I'm getting no ammo from about nine out of ten of them. Still get the cool down though.

I had the same problem with heavy ammo. I had 2 stacks of synths. After I finished one of the stacks it started giving me ammo again. Such a stupid bug. I was almost useless during the Raid because of it.

ocean

Banned

I'll do it with you if you can get a group together.

I've been having issues when using my synths between spawns. If I use them while I'm alive they work properly. Not sure if bug or intended.

TTG

The A1 was my first legendary drop and has slightly different stats than the sold one from the quartermaster. It's been my main weapon ever since. Maxed out and especially with the recent SR buffs it's a beast. Reloads in a split second with precision kills which is what your kills should be when you use a SR.

I got the Cryptic Dragon as a drop at the start of the week and it's almost maxes now too. The larger magazine is nice but with super reload on the A1, you barely get a break between magazines so the A1 is still my go-to.

Haven't tried the first one you mentioned so I can't speak on it so I recommended the A1.

I went with the A1, it's great. Just have to get used to something other than an auto rifle in pvp again.

I had the same problem with heavy ammo. I had 2 stacks of synths. After I finished one of the stacks it started giving me ammo again. Such a stupid bug. I was almost useless during the Raid because of it.

Good stuff. I'll put some in the vault. Hopefully that'll fix it.

I've been having issues when using my synths between spawns. If I use them while I'm alive they work properly. Not sure if bug or intended.

It's been all the time for me.

You definitely have to be a bit more conservative in the crucible with a scout rifle. My crucible loadout is A1 - The Comedian - Zombie Apocalypse/Gjallarhorn. The shotgun secondary is much more effective for dealing with players who are determined to not let you keep your distance than a fusion rifle, at least for me anyway. Big damage with no charge time for the sneaky dudes who like to crowd your business.

I have not complained about any changes to this game.

- Loot Cave - okay, patch it (and you gave us a fun Easter Egg at that).

- Gun nerfs/buffs - you guys know best, you can watch how we play and address what's needed to provide multiple alternatives with weapon selection in PVP.

- Templar column - Even though I backed this as a "strategy", I only tried to help *one* group that insisted on it and my group has always had dedicated roles in that fight. We played the ground game and continue to do so, we're better and faster at it.

- Atheon "baby bumpers" - Yes, please. They're not necessary when you have a good team who play well together and know roles that we have unanimously determined by preference and vote. I didn't support the bug that broke him.

- Atheon's teleport behavior? - Please, Bungie, please. Most successful Raid teams have found that different members are better at different roles. This is a TEAM event. I, for one, am the dedicated Relic-holder for that fight. We've watched gameplay mechanics, we developed a system, a strategy, to break our group into two. Portal team does what needs to be done in the portals, and Gatekeeper team survives the hordes of suicidal Harpies, opens the necessary gate, and generally does the most damage to Atheon once Portal team is out, because we're busy getting ready to go back in again.

The Atheon teleport change will break not only our strategy, but most successful teams' strategies. The fight will be utter chaos. Not everyone plays the same role in a team - that's what makes a TEAM. If we could all perform the same roles, we'd be interchangeable. Why stay together? Our group dynamics are great and we all get along well, but the glitches in Atheon's fight were tough enough to get through without someone raging. The deaths of a single dedicated member alone can make the fight unwinnable.

We are using legitimate strategy there, Bungie. There is no unfair advantage, no taking advantage of unfair enemy behavior (some predictability is not a bad thing!), we just got our team 100% set this week! Not everyone can be expected to perform the same in a team. We all have strengths and weaknesses and that is part of what brings us together. We fill in each other's gaps in playstyle to complete the group.

Please rethink this Atheon patch. "Baby bumpers" are great. Make the community fight for their victory! But don't completely trash mechanics that aren't broken. I know six of me could not beat this Raid, nor could six of any other gamer I know. Level playing fields are great, but don't take away our individual strengths.

------

This is what a weekly update should be. Thank you. I have one issue with it myself.

“There should be no single answer for how to win in Destiny.”

This is what you claim your design philosophy to be. So what is the reasoning you have behind things such as soft kill barriers or even just soft barriers? For instance, in the VoG's Templar fight, you have now blocked off the pillars. It seems that this was done to ensure the fight was beaten 'correctly.' But the pillar strategy is, in fact, a strategy. By taking that away, it seems like you are saying 'there is only one way you should be able to play this game, and it is this way.' People, many independently and simultaneously, came up with this strategy. It is still difficult and carries risk, but is one some players feel is 'easier.' But does that make it wrong? I don't think so.

Why do we not have the freedom in this game we were led to expect? You keep on adding limitations instead of incentives. Instead of adding soft kill barriers, just make enemies more grenade prone or increase their aggro range or something. Make it more difficult to do these things, not impossible. It just seems like decisions such as these are condemning ways to play the game other than the one intended way. And I find this unfortunate.

-------

Lol so ur saying that match making is not an option because you need teamwork.... Does that mean you know how to do all the Jobs at Bungie then? Or if you work as a janitor at a hospital and the head surgeon is sick the janitor Just washes his hands and takes his place. Cause that is team work.

-------

Regarding the Atheon timesteam "fix", a raid team shouldn't be about everyone being able to do everything. As a team people should work to cover each other's weaknesses. We should be able to choose who goes in the portal as a team and who stays outside as a team

------

This recurring theme of "your not playing the game right" is starting to get a little old.

------

I think the most frustrating part for me is that the Raid allows us to specialize and take on roles during the earlier parts of the Raid. Now when we get to the last part that specialization goes away.

If I'm on supplicant duty I do not have the same weapons or class equipped compared to when I'm on oracle duty. Bungie is forcing me to take a more general strategy approach since I cannot switch weapons quickly while in game and limiting my effectiveness.

------

Bungie in charge of the military:

Bungie: Okay, so we're going to pull names out of this hat to see who storms the building head on.

riffling of paper

Bungie: Beefman, you're with the full frontal assault unit!

Beefman: But I'm a highly trained sniper, sir!

Bungie: Doesn't matter! Next up, who will fly the jet?

papers rustled

Bungie: Newman, you're up!

Newman:... Wouldn't someone who, uh, knew how to fly a jet be better suited for this?

Bungie: Nope, and finally, we will see who will snipe the enemies!

rustling of jimmies

Bungie: Terrance, it's your lucky day!

Terrance: I drive navy submarines. I have NEVER touched a sniper rifle IN MY LIFE.

Bungie: WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND!? EVERYONE IN A GROUP MUST BE ABLE TO PLAY EVERY ROLE FLAWLESSLY! THAT IS HOW REAL LIFE WORKS. DAMN WE'RE GOOD AT THIS SHIT.

Bcuz startegi no reelz

TTG

*Looks around*

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the raid patch? I went through it twice, don't really plan on doing it again unless I'm on a fun team or somehow a hard raid team materializes. Just how often do you guys do that mission?

*Looks around*

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the raid patch? I went through it twice, don't really plan on doing it again unless I'm on a fun team or somehow a hard raid team materializes. Just how often do you guys do that mission?

i've done the raid about 4 times this week.

raindoc

I can't get past his paragraph in the BWU:

When you stand in front of the Gunsmith, you’re faced with choices. Each of the weapons on that wall is valuable in a special way. When you pull a piece of iron from the rack and commit it to your arsenal, you embrace strengths and weaknesses that complement the way you fight.

Are we playing the same game?

*Looks around*

I do the raid twice weekly, once for each character at the moment. I want that level 30.

I can't get past his paragraph in the BWU:

Are we playing the same game?

Haha, I thought this was funny as well. The only time I go to the Gunsmith was for the Rare fusion rifles, and the other exotic bounties. Oh, and ammo packs.

Even when I was leveling a new character, I didn't go there. I just used what dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom