• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, listen to everything they say instead of arguing or whining. When I played Hard Raid for the first time, I listened to everything my crew said and did as they wished. Carrying requires patience and effort and you want to help vets out by doing what you're told.

Excellent advice from Lik. Most of the people I've played with, especially Gaffers, have a really good attitude. It's very important to have fun but it's also important to take things seriously enough that you aren't wasting everyone's time. Especially a hard raid.

I've got 28 raid clears by now and helping newbies beat their first raid is one of the most enjoyable activities in the game for me. But I can also lose my patience if people are rude, constantly ignoring advice, etc. Attitude goes a lot further than "skill level."

Marvel

could never
I just blew my own mind.

Put the cursor over your friends list and press R2 or L2.
It scrolls it.

This changes everything.

Seeing about 6 locations that are not marked for chests.
Caves, hill overlooking crota entrance, submerged building when first entering area from the line. Hard to explain via text.

Yeah there's also two chests that spawn either side atop that long tube thingamabob.

Sadly, share recorded it a minute after we landed so it's not the full vid.

What it recorded goes from a minute after landing to the first chest.

This has happened to me twice now.... Didn't have to do the first bit at all. Not that I'm complaining. Never really liked that any way.

Blu10

I think it's a good idea for people who've never done the Raid to go with people who've got at least a little experience. But if you've watched videos and know what to do, I suppose you could go in with 5 other new people. The Raid is easily the best piece of content in Destiny so I hope you get to play it one way or another. :)

That was us last week...6 people who had never tried it, only 2 of which watched parts of raid videos before. After some heavy drinking and 5hrs later (split across 2 days) we finished it sans cheese. Loved every minute of it. Far and away the best part of the game.

*Splinter

I love going through it with Noobs. Makes me feel like I can make more mistakes without getting ribbed for it. Also, it's fun to hear people go on about "this is great, if only the rest of the game was like this". That said, sometimes you only have a couple of hours and want to bang it out quick with a group of high leveled experienced folks.
Same here, I'm always in two minds about how much to help though. To me (and some others) the best part of the raid was figuring it all out, so I tend to leave my mic off to avoid barking orders or dropping patronising 'hints'

When you say "the room"... you mean just any random room on Mars?

there is a really good relic iron farming spot on mars. like earth you just run around an area and hit a bunhc of rooms for chests. in the first room on he run, on the left when you walk in sometimes there will be a floating chest.

breakfuss

I don't see anything wrong with going into the normal raid completely blind with 5 other first-timers. With the exception of one guy it's what I did. Sure, it took us an exorbitant amount of time lol but it's one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had in a while.

As for so-called "experts" ...I can't still people like that. Like, chill. It's a game. I've only encountered one individual here like that and the shit was stressful. sweet_brown.jpeg Thankfully most folks here are super friendly and patient. GAF has pretty much saved this game for me.

hydruxo

Only weapons I still want that I don't have:
-Last Word
-Gjallarhorn
-Vision of Confluence

Wouldn't mind Thunderlord either lol

Atkison04

I love going through it with Noobs. Makes me feel like I can make more mistakes without getting ribbed for it. Also, it's fun to hear people go on about "this is great, if only the rest of the game was like this". That said, sometimes you only have a couple of hours and want to bang it out quick with a group of high leveled experienced folks.

I definitely understand all that Private! I'm at the point now with 9 coin strikes and nightfalls that I just solo them for the most part and then text my buddy so he can hop on and get the end mission spoils. I always help him get thru it and it just saves me time to not have to go thru it from start to finish with him since I usually get on a good 45 minutes before he can. I knocked out my warlock nightfall/9 coin strike and my hunter 9 coin strike solo in about an hour twenty last night. Saving hunter nightfall for him though because I really don't want to get kicked to orbit if I can help it. Of course since this game has me by the balls I rolled a titan over the weekend (level 14) also. So much to do, so little time!

Also, I'm sure us noobs everywhere appreciate the kind words and gestures from some of you vets that actually will sit and eat at the same table with us :)

kidko

It is, actually. Did you not even the read that last sentence that clarified what I was saying? (as if it wasn't obvious enough already).

Ok, imagine you flip a coin and want (nay, deserve!) heads to come up. With one flip you have a 50% chance of getting what you want. A second flip also has a 50% to give you what you want, but now you have a 75% chance that you got what you wanted (either on the first or second flip). Not convinced? Flip the coin 10 times, what are the chances that you didn't get a single head in 10 flips? Now 100, can you even imagine 100 coin flips without a single instance of it landing on heads. Try it now if you like

You didn't take Statistics in college I'm guessing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I don't see anything wrong with going into the normal raid completely blind with 5 other first-timers. With the exception of one guy it's what I did. Sure, it took us an exorbitant amount of time lol but it's one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had in a while.

My first time doing the raid with my normal raid group took an unreal number of hours. Group of gaffers. It was great because no one complained for even a second despite our 10000 wipes.

Have to admit I cannot play with Raid newbies anymore either. Newbies should just look up video strategies if they wanna be carried by veterans cuz hearing the same explanations repeated gets old. I can understand if a group is going in blind but if you wanna be carried by vets, do some homework.

Also, listen to everything they say instead of arguing or whining. When I played Hard Raid for the first time, I listened to everything my crew said and did as they wished. Carrying requires patience and effort and you want to help vets out by doing what you're told.

<3

LiK

As for so-called "experts" ...I can't still people like that. Like, chill. It's a game. I've only encountered one individual here like that and the shit was stressful. sweet_brown.jpeg Thankfully most folks here are super friendly and patient. GAF has pretty much saved this game for me.

As long as both the vet and noob are respectful of each other then it's usually fine. Personally, I don't care how many times I die if someone fucks up. I'm pretty chill when I play. Only PVP can piss me off, heh

ShinAmano

Anyone on XB1 have an aethon checkpoint they can share?

We had a guy playing last week not be able to finish due to time zone issues...we are east coast he was Scotland so we wrapped up around 1am our time he was powering through till about 530.

Anyhow it would be helpful to be able to pick up where we left off.

Thanks in advance.

LordofPwn

It is, actually. Did you not even the read that last sentence that clarified what I was saying? (as if it wasn't obvious enough already).

Ok, imagine you flip a coin and want (nay, deserve!) heads to come up. With one flip you have a 50% chance of getting what you want. A second flip also has a 50% to give you what you want, but now you have a 75% chance that you got what you wanted (either on the first or second flip). Not convinced? Flip the coin 10 times, what are the chances that you didn't get a single head in 10 flips? Now 100, can you even imagine 100 coin flips without a single instance of it landing on heads. Try it now if you like

I was just about to use the coin flip example myself. I mean it's just good ol' everyday math stuff.

realcZk

This thread only moved two pages since I was on lunch break. Pick up the pace guys, I don't want to have to do work this afternoon.

*Splinter

You didn't take Statistics in college I'm guessing.
Nope was always more into the pure math / group theory side of things. Care to explain what part of "100 coin flips will be highly probable to yield at least one result of 'heads'" you disagree with?

Or are you too cool for that?

Did you manage to flip tails 100 times in a row yet?

MADGAME

yes please :)

Cool, been leveling my alt all day hoping to get him high enough.
PSN Same as GAF, when I get home I'll be doing a weekly heroic and daily on an alt then I'll start the sesh.

I'll tag along just to see it once before the patch.

PSN (PS4) = Dr_Boris_Goltz

Probably not going to be talking, if that's cool.
Edit: 29 titan, for the record.
Cool.

You didn't finish it up? I thought you were going to finish your checkpoints on your alts. Lemme know if you need help. Had girlfriend aggro last night so had to bail.

Did 2/3. Was expecting to lose the third to the patch today, but Time's Vengeance might give me the buff I need. Lol @aggro, it's better than being marked for negation! Edit: Thanks for your help, by the way!

Nope, that's not how it works. You're confusing cumulative probability with a single-event probability. Opening a chest is not the same as coin flipping. Loot from a drop is a single-event, coin flipping is cumulative probability because it has two independent events, heads or tails.

You're trying to make a single-event probability into a cumulative probability.

Nope was always more into the pure math / group theory side of things. Care to explain what part of "100 coin flips will be highly probable to yield at least one result of 'heads'" you disagree with?

Or are you too cool for that?

Did you manage to flip tails 100 times in a row yet?

I took statistics in college.

You're still correct. I think (hope) there's a miscommunication somewhere here.

EDIT: yup, miscommunication confirmed. You two are talking about separate things. Haha. Please continue though, I enjoy a good back-and-forth.

Atkison04

Without the kids, this is a lot easier to work with for me. When we aren't doing anything together, she's cool with me playing to my heart's content. But tonight, for instance, we're watching Arrow and Flash, then probably chilling a while after. Then she'll hop up and go read, while I get ready to raid on my main. I don't even want to think about what kids are gonna do to my gaming time...

That's pretty much what we do. She is technically my fiance but we live together, have kids together and I love her, I'm just slow to move forward because everyone in my life has been divorced except me. Before her, I was always out drinking and at bars etc. Since her and having kids I'm home a lot more and kids sleep a lot,so naps and bedtime equals game time unless we have other plans.

I definitely understand all that Private! I'm at the point now with 9 coin strikes and nightfalls that I just solo them for the most part and then text my buddy so he can hop on and get the end mission spoils. I always help him get thru it and it just saves me time to not have to go thru it from start to finish with him since I usually get on a good 45 minutes before he can. I knocked out my warlock nightfall/9 coin strike and my hunter 9 coin strike solo in about an hour twenty last night. Saving hunter nightfall for him though because I really don't want to get kicked to orbit if I can help it. Of course since this game has me by the balls I rolled a titan over the weekend (level 14) also. So much to do, so little time!

Also, I'm sure us noobs everywhere appreciate the kind words and gestures from some of you vets that actually will sit and eat at the same table with us :)

If you are soloing an alt on nightfall and weeklies, then you are more than ready and really need to start doing raids. There are a couple of different roles that you'll want to become proficient at, and with six people to accommodate, the best way is to just do it a lot. I almost want to make a list of people that are great at guiding noobs, but I don't want to put anyone on the spot or forget someone. Just get Gaffers on your friends list and all will be good.

I still get intimidated when I'm in a group of people working on their 29 alts because they already did it with their 30 main.

*Splinter

Nope, that's not how it works. You're confusing cumulative probability with a single-event probability. Opening a chest is not the same as coin flipping. Loot from a drop is a single-event, coin flipping is cumulative probability because it has two independent events, heads or tails.

You're trying to make a single-event probability into a cumulative probability.
I'm being trolled now right? You can't be that stupid?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
While loot has essentially crushed my spirit I have to say that the half friends/half random and gaf group I had last night was one of the most pleasant and fast groups through the raid I've ever had. WhOle thing was less than an hour or something...

Dat dominance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom