• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambitious

I'll be home in an hour or so. Time to catch up. Any tips for the Nightfall? I know how to cheese Phogoth, but what about the Dinklebot part?

High damage per shot but low fire rate. The DPS is good but not unusually so, especially if you need more than 6 shots.

Supremacy is the same but with much better handling and recoil. I would guess that low impact high RoF snipers also have very similar DPS, but haven't tested this.

You can easily get 9 or 10 shots off during Time's Vengeance. Throw a grenade or two as well.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Destiny has invaded my dreams. I dreamed I had mythoclast.
Crying.gif

void666

Banned
I'll be home in an hour or so. Time to catch up. Any tips for the Nightfall? I know how to cheese Phogoth, but what about the Dinklebot part?

Stay close to the door where you came from. If things get ugly (aka 4 wizards) run all the way to the top of the stairs.

*Splinter

Stay near the door of that area and when getting hamered go back to the stairs and shoot stuff.
Also, when you get the wizards in the third wave they'll chase you all the way up those stairs. Be ready to run all the way to that previous room and then you can pick them off quite easily. If you kill Mormu the others will become less aggressive (which actually makes this fight more awkward)

You're waiting for each shot to charge before firing? At that point you're better off switching to your heavy/primary

2-3 shots will recharge while you're firing the initial 6. And my primary is saved for Oracles and won't do shit. Heavy is a rocket launcher that would do nothing but kill me in the bubble.

Jito

Banned
Event system is fucking broken, how would anyone find them without the event timer apps? Half the time they turn up 5 minutes late or not at all. Doing the events bounty is such a time sink.

TTG

Those sun breakers have been with Xur a bunch of times, so the chances are high. Those Titan gauntlets only appeared the first week when he first started appearing. So I'm worried they won't be back tomorrow.

Come onnnnnn Xurngsus

This is what's going to happen, The Last Word will be available for sale and he will have exotic weapon engrams instead of gear for once. If we all focus our mental energies so it shall be, don't let me down now.

Rtas

easiest with 2 people IMO pop back to the top of the stairs once the wizards start spawning or once you're close to being overwhelmed get back to the top of the stairs and they'll retreat back in to the room after 30 seconds

*Splinter

2-3 shots will recharge while you're firing the initial 6. And my primary is saved for Oracles and won't do shit. Heavy is a rocket launcher that would do nothing but kill me in the bubble.
1-2 shots recharge.

I'm not saying Ice Breaker is bad, just that infinite ammo is its only advantage over other snipers. Supremacy has it matched or beat in every other regard. Faster snipers have other uses (most notably Crucible). Slower snipers I still haven't found in legendary or exotic form :(

But again, infinite ammo is a huge plus and there are many situations where that outweighs anything else.

Steroyd

easiest with 2 people IMO pop back to the top of the stairs once the wizards start spawning or once you're close to being overwhelmed get back to the top of the stairs and they'll retreat back in to the room after 30 seconds

Also don't underestimate the Knights arc weapon splash damage, it's rediculous.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Id give you mine just to see you smile again.
Haha, yeah. I've had multiple people tell me they'd give me one if they could.

Yep, this is the easiest way to deal with them. Do some damage once they're in the hall with icebreaker if you have it or rockets.
Also don't underestimate the Knights arc weapon splash damage, it's rediculous.
Yeah, I hate them.

Ambitious

Stay near the door of that area and when getting hamered go back to the stairs and shoot stuff.

Stay close to the door where you came from. If things get ugly (aka 4 wizards) run all the way to the top of the stairs.

That's what I usually do when I get in trouble. But I distinctively remember doing this strike on a hard difficulty before (also Nightfall? I can't remember), and there were some Wizards at the top of the stairs.
Not long until I'm home. I'm going to find a fireteam just in case.

Midas

Event system is fucking broken, how would anyone find them without the event timer apps? Half the time they turn up 5 minutes late or not at all. Doing the events bounty is such a time sink.

It's supposed to be "random". How is it broken?

Is it weird that I have a raid/exotic combo to all set to lvl 30 for my lock (with sunbreakers) but I refuse to run it because I must get raid gauntlets to pair with my Light Beyond Nemesis?

I feel bad that I could be lvl 30 and forsake it while there are those looking for more raid gear and stuck at 28 etc. :

Mrgamer

This is what's going to happen, The Last Word will be available for sale and he will have exotic weapon engrams instead of gear for once. If we all focus our mental energies so it shall be, don't let me down now.
Was the only person not to buy sunbreakers for my warlock.Raid gaunlets elude me,have all the rest for both my alts reach level 30.

witness

Alright so I began the grinding game last night to try and level past 20, so is the quickest way to start getting legendary gear is to join a faction (and grab bounty's) and then grind the crucible? I was doing some of the level 20 strike playlist but any of the armor I got, including blues, were not even an upgrade (let alone have light on it). While the gear I got from the crucible, was an upgrade and had light on it.

LiK

Public Events? I just do them while I'm farming in Patrol. They pop up at least once every time I farm.

E92 M3

Morning guys!

With this patch/hotfix being so delayed, I am wondering they are bundling everything together. It would be a great weekend surprise to have my Mythoclast back!

1-2 shots recharge.

I'm not saying Ice Breaker is bad, just that infinite ammo is its only advantage over other snipers. Supremacy has it matched or beat in every other regard. Faster snipers have other uses (most notably Crucible). Slower snipers I still haven't found in legendary or exotic form :(

But again, infinite ammo is a huge plus and there are many situations where that outweighs anything else.

My Supremacy isn't fully upgraded and has a mighty kickback that my Ice Breaker doesn't. I have a Praedyth's Revenge as well, but the Ice Breaker beats it. I see no reason to chenge snipers, we're not actually trying to break a world record.

Deku Tree

I just got the Vanquisher VIII from leveling up the Cryptarch... Now I have three legendary AR's... what's better the Vanquisher VIII or Shadow Price? They seem pretty similar except Vanquisher has a higher rate of fire and one more bullet in the mag.

Mrgamer

I just got the Vanquisher VIII from leveling up the Cryptarch... Now I have three legendary AR's... what's better the Vanquisher VIII or Shadow Price? They seem pretty similar except Vanquisher has a higher rate of fire and one more bullet in the mag.

Good for ass energy.

TTG

1-2 shots recharge.

I don't know what this Supremecy is, but I compared Ice Breaker to 3 other legendaries(final boss, raid legendary and something else) and the the aforementioned breaker deals 25% more damage per hit than the next highest impact, that's how big the difference is. Not to mention that it's 6 bullets per clip, plus another 1 or 2 like you said, that means mostly anything will go down no matter if it's at full health, no matter what type of shied. It's demonstrably head and shoulders above everything else.

Also the best compliment to a serving of cheese, the OT title had it wrong.

EDIT: oh, I see that's the queen's sniper. With the field Scout it does look like a viable alternative if you want to equip a different exotic.

E92 M3

I need a few more weapons/items to consider Destiny "You Defeated"...

1.) The Last Word
2.) Fatebringer
3.) VOC
4.) Praetorian Foil (I love fusion rifles and collect them all)
5.) God of War shader

*Splinter

My Supremacy isn't fully upgraded and has a mighty kickback that my Ice Breaker doesn't. I have a Praedyth's Revenge as well, but the Ice Breaker beats it. I see no reason to chenge snipers, we're not actually trying to break a world record.
I wasn't trying to dissuade people from using it (apart from in crucible), just pointing out that other options have benefits that are well worth understanding.

I think I need look into putting group together this weekend for Flawless Raider -trophy. I'm thinking dedicated, high level, players with raid experience and good weapons for burning bosses down fast.

I'm really trying to get a group together for this trophy, last one for the platinum. I'm up to 29 raid clears by now so I'm eager to bust it out. PSN is DrDrizzay101, let me know if you are getting people together.

void666

Banned
That's what I usually do when I get in trouble. But I distinctively remember doing this strike on a hard difficulty before (also Nightfall? I can't remember), and there were some Wizards at the top of the stairs.
Not long until I'm home. I'm going to find a fireteam just in case.

There is one wizard there. You're supposed to kill it. It won't respawn. But if you're playing the strike (not nightfall) and die it will respawn.

I wasn't trying to dissuade people from using it (apart from in crucible), just pointing out that other options have benefits that are well worth understanding.

Well, I always go Praedyth in Crucible. I know the Ice Breaker's shortcomings, but it's the best at what I need in that specific situation.

Got my final raid piece last night (arms - in fact a pair of them dropped) plus fatebringer.

So I'm on my way to 30 with a little levelling up on this piece. It's so odd to see the piece freshly equipped puts you at the high end of 28, and knowing that once fully maxed you're 30.

Still want a Hawkmoon!

Namikaze1

I fixed my L2 problem. Had to change the controller layout during the raid to r1/l1. God i dont know how i manage to play fps on Ps3 with that layout. It felt so foreign to me. Can't believe after 11 months, my controller had its first problem.*

*The ferret nibbling on thumbsticks does not count!

Midas

Because events are tied to a bounty so trying to get the bounty done in a reasonable time takes ages waiting around for the events to start.

Well, it's not broken. Public events are "random" and sometimes a bounty can take a while to finish, rightfully so. However, the tank in Old Russia always spawn between 14-17 minutes over each hour for me. Try that.

BLU-82

I haven't used shadow price but I have a vanquisher from last weeks nightfall. I actually really like it. Much prefer it to my grim citizen. It also had a perk for boosting mag size upwards of 40.

TTG

Oh god, I finally looked up the difference in how quickly perks are unlocked on exotics versus legendary, no wonder it seemed such a crawl.

Just want to thank Adam Koy and his friend (forgot his name) for reviving me a bunch last night. Did Nightfall and the Daily Heroic with my 26 alt and had a blast. My Titan was a fragile china doll, getting one shotted left and right.

I did end up leveling my gear to 27 by the end of the night, but then noticed that I had leveled up the Vanguard and had plenty of marks to burn. So now I have a new set of Legendary gear and I'm back down to 25... Should be able to Raid with her soon if I concentrate on XP grinding.

*Splinter

I don't know what this Supremecy is, but I compared Ice Breaker to 3 other legendaries(final boss, raid legendary and something else) and the the aforementioned breaker deals 25% more damage per hit than the next highest impact, that's how big the difference is. Not to mention that it's 6 bullets per clip, plus another 1 or 2 like you said, that means mostly anything will go down no matter if it's at full health, no matter what type of shied. It's demonstrably head and shoulders above everything else.

Also the best compliment to a serving of cheese, the OT title had it wrong.
There's basically 4 different sniper versions in this game (by which I mean 4 sets with same impact and RoF values). Praedyth's Revenge, Final Boss, most other legendaries are the fastest firing type (Hieracon LR5 at rare level, Trajan C at uncommon I think).
Then there's a level between these and Ice Breaker, I think the rare Amina A7 is here but don't remember any others.
Then there is the Ice Breaker and Supremacy. I don't remember rare/uncommon versions of these.
Then there is a highest impact version, but strangely this doesn't seem to exist in legendary exotic... Only ones I've seen are Silvered Boudicca (rare, crucible variant) and Gozen C (uncommon, best uncommon).

You are comparing a weapon from third category to weapons from first, and not considering fire rate (which is their obvious strength).

Again again, not saying Ice Breaker is bad, in fact I greatly prefer slow firing snipers, just explaining benefits of other options.

Ice Breaker is demonstrably not head and shoulders above the rest.

Jito

Banned
Well, it's not broken. Public events are "random" and sometimes a bounty can take a while to finish, rightfully so. However, the tank in Old Russia always spawn between 14-17 minutes over each hour for me. Try that.

Yeh problem is I don't really want to waste and hour waiting around in just one area for one event. The events should be much more dynamic and reliable instead of just going back to kill that damn spider tank every time. I wanna see and do all the events but it takes way too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom