• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

However, tying a bounty to PEs means you either have to use an external site to map their timing, compose your own list of timings, or stay in an area that you might not have any other reason to be in waiting for one to show (and there have been times they haven't shown up for me at all). It's not about getting them done asap, it's about getting them done without having to wait around bored for 20-30 minutes each time only for them not to show.

I have a feeling the PE system isn't coded well atm, I can't put my finger on exactly what but it definitely feels erratic. It can get a little frustrating when your third PE in a row doesn't show even though you're using the timer and wait around either side of the event window by 10 minutes.

I think a large part of that is an expectation. Almost every bounty is completeable in a day, so when you get one like this...it's jarring. I don't think changing the way the PE's work is the better idea. All of the ideas I've seen....well, I don't want to debate them, I just don't think I've seen any good ideas regarding changing them yet.

That being said, I SWEAR this same bounty existed before as complete one Public Event. That feels like the better change. Revert it to one PE, not three. Three is fine for idiots like us who are more hardcore and know all the timings, but it's a bit crazy and a ridiculous outlier for a casual gamer compared to most of the other bounties.

Booties

Banned
It's like you're not actually reading anything I'm typing. It's not that I want to get the bounties done quickly, it's done in a without having wait so much in between events and just hanging around doing fuck all in an area. You could make the bounty do 10 events and I'd do it if I didn't have to wait about so much in between each one. The system doesn't seem very well though out and could definitely be improved, just seems like something Bungie said "fuck it, put it on a timer".

Yes dude, I know about the apps for the events...

Not to sound like a dick, but your complaints about public events are pretty bad.

Yesterday on the moon, I had like 2 Public Events in 5 minutes, as I completed one, I ran into a second in the next zone. It was awesome, and the only time that ever happened.

Only time it's ever happened for me, but last week I did a PE in the Barrens on Mars, immediately drove to Scablands, then drove straight back to Barrens and a new PE had spawned. Very strange.

I wanted Horn too until I started to level the raid launcher, Hezen Vengence. I prefer it with its maxed blast radius, cluster bomb... And best part, 3 in the tube!

Ghorn is the Raid DPS King. Everything else is a pretender to the throne.

Booties

Banned
Not to sound like a dick, but your unnecessary post was pretty bad.

If you can't figure out a way to do more than one bounty at a time so you're not "wasting time" then you aren't very good at this.

This game is a time sink, I don't know what you expect.

LiK

It's like you're not actually reading anything I'm typing. It's not that I want to get the bounties done quickly, it's done without having wait so much in between events and just hanging around doing fuck all in an area. You could make the bounty do 10 events and I'd do it if I didn't have to wait about so much in between each one. The system doesn't seem very well thought out and could definitely be improved, just seems like something Bungie said "fuck it, put it on a timer".

Yes dude, I know about the apps for the events...

Did you read my reply? Go to the Moon. They happen frequently there.

Shito

However, tying a bounty to PEs means you either have to use an external site to map their timing, compose your own list of timings, or stay in an area that you might not have any other reason to be in waiting for one to show (and there have been times they haven't shown up for me at all). It's not about getting them done asap, it's about getting them done without having to wait around bored for 20-30 minutes each time only for them not to show.
I think you are supposed to take the bounty, and let it passively complete by itself, as you randomly encounter public events.
This is how they designed the feature, and the bounty.
The problem arise when you start chasing down the events in order to actively complete the bounty. *We* are breaking the system.

It's like you're not actually reading anything I'm typing. It's not that I want to get the bounties done quickly, it's done without having wait so much in between events and just hanging around doing fuck all in an area. You could make the bounty do 10 events and I'd do it if I didn't have to wait about so much in between each one. The system doesn't seem very well though out and could definitely be improved, just seems like something Bungie said "fuck it, put it on a timer".
What I've just said. You are not supposed to actively try to complete this bounty, nor are you supposed to see that many public events.
They clearly wanted them to be somewhat "rare", and the bounty only asking for three is a clear indication that it is supposed to be a "long one" to complete.
You can disagree with their vision, but it is currently working as they intended.

jadedm17

If you can't figure out a way to do more than one bounty at a time so you're not "wasting time" then you aren't very good at this.

This game is a time sink, I don't know what you expect.

I don't think he's listening.

Doing public events is quick compared to farming and grinding reputation.

I think you are supposed to take the bounty, and let it passively complete by itself, as you randomly encounter public events.
This is how they designed the feature, and the bounty.
The problem arise when you start chasing down the events in order to actively complete the bounty. *We* are breaking the system.

Exactly, too much focus is being put on what we're doing and not on what we were meant to do.

Bizazedo

Only time it's ever happened for me, but last week I did a PE in the Barrens on Mars, immediately drove to Scablands, then drove straight back to Barrens and a new PE had spawned. Very strange.
Sounds like you zoned out and when you zoned back in, you got a different instance where it started later / wasn't finished.
Ghorn is the Raid DPS King. Everything else is a pretender to the throne.
It's too good. The difference in being in a raid with even one versus zero is crazy.

Grimsen

Public Events are fun, but I find they're too infrequent.

Hopefully we get more PE types, and more randomization within a givent area. And have them happen more frequently, of course :D

Zakalwe

Banned
Not to sound like a dick, but your complaints about public events are pretty bad.

His main points (As far as I can tell) are:

1. He doesn't like using an external app
2. Even if you use the app the events seem to be erratic sometimes
3. Waiting around for events that might not show is not fun

I don't see why these are bad complints. The PE system is fine for random exploring, but as soon as you're expecte to complete a bounty they can get frustrating. If you need to chest run or have multiple bounties to complete in patrol areas then it can be a lot easier as you'll likely get at least 1 PE pop while you work those, but as soon as you only have the PE boutny to do and no other reason to be in those public areas it can get a little frustrating.

realcZk

I wanted Horn too until I started to level the raid launcher, Hezen Vengence. I prefer it with its maxed blast radius, cluster bomb... And best part, 3 in the tube!

Hezen Vengeance is awesome, but the Gjallarhorn damage is just broken. It's extremely powerful compared to every other RL, which is mostly why I want it (and it does look pretty damn sexy). Have you seen the video where Atheon is melted in hard mode in 17 seconds with Gjallarhorn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKEaGBHVW4

It's insane, by the time Atheon was even ready to start moving he was already dead!

All I do for public events I just go to Skywatch and every 30 minutes, without fail(give or take a few minutes each time, but nothing big) to Defend The Warsat.

I don't see why these are bad complints. The PE system is fine for random exploring, but as soon as you're expecte to complete a bounty they can get frustrating. If you need to chest run or have multiple bounties to complete in patrol areas then it can be a lot easier as you'll likely get at least 1 PE pop while you work those, but as soon as you only have the PE boutny to do and no other reason to be in those public areas it can get a little frustrating.

and then when you find one, nobody is around and it's too difficult to do on your own...

Bizazedo

Hezen Vengeance is awesome, but the Gjallarhorn damage is just broken. It's extremely powerful compared to every other RL, which is mostly why I want it (and it does look pretty damn sexy). Have you seen the video where Atheon is melted in hard mode in 17 seconds with Gjallarhorn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKEaGBHVW4

Pretty much. My jaw dropped when I saw a guy used it on the Gatekeepers. It's mainly overpowered in PvE, so whatever, but I did see a hilarious Horn miss a guy in PvP, fly up, do a 180 and come down and splat the guy.

Shito

All I do for public events I just go to Skywatch and every 30 minutes, without fail(give or take a few minutes each time, but nothing big) to Defend The Warsat.
I do this at :00 and :30, and alternate with The Divide at :15 and :45.
Starting a patrol session right with one of those and chaining them means completing the bounty in a little bit more than 30 minutes, all the while working on some others, like precision kills / melee kills / patrol missions.

Booties

Banned
I don't think he's listening.

Doing public events is quick compared to farming and grinding reputation.

Yeah I just read all his posts on the topic. They don't make any sense at all.

Exactly. There are so many things to do and explore in this game. Public events are supposed to be exciting and fun to randomly do. The game isnt' designed around them, Bungie doesn't want us sitting around doing them all day. That's why the bounty is only to do three, which is totally doable simultaneously with 4 other bounties to work on. If it's your last one, then use an app and go to another planet with one on the way. It is insanely easy. Besides, you will always need to farm mats so you can do that as well.

It's not broken, it's working exactly as intended. It's how Bungie designed them to be and it makes sense. It fosters more exploration, changing planets, etc. This is actually very CLEVER design as it keeps the player moving around from place to place. The app is nice, but it's 3rd party so any complaints about it being off are totally unwarranted.

realcZk

Pretty much. My jaw dropped when I saw a guy used it on the Gatekeepers. It's mainly overpowered in PvE, so whatever, but I did see a hilarious Horn miss a guy in PvP, fly up, do a 180 and come down and splat the guy.

Yeah, I've seen it two shot gatekeepers with no issues on hard mode. It seemed a little inconsistent because it wouldn't two shot them every time, which makes me think that the wolfpack rounds are bugged somehow.

this is why the first loot cave was a great experience. yes, you're standing around shooting a few enemies spawning from a hole, but you're also pissing yourself laughing with your buddies and several randoms who've joined in the fray. if you manage to stick around long enough, a public event or fallen vs hive war will occur - sometimes both every hour. it made skywatch a lively hotspot, which is normally an outlying area that wont see much traffic until jovian complex DLC.

the players scrambling to find a new cave are kinda missing the point.

Zakalwe

Banned

The problem is it's not always without fail unless you actually wait in the area for half an hour after each event.

this is why the first loot cave was a great experience. yes, you're standing around shooting a few enemies spawning from a hole, but you're also pissing yourself laughing with your buddies and several randoms who've joined in the fray. if you manage to stick around long enough, a public event or fallen/hive war will occur - sometimes both every hour. it made skywatch a hotspot, which is normally an outlying area that wont see much traffic until jovian complex DLC.

everyone looking for a new cave is kinda missing the point.
IMHO Skywatch is a loot cave in itself
Constant spawning, easy access, that Knight/Ogre spawn for bounties, tons of Spinmetal
What's not to like?

Not to sound like a dick, but your unnecessary post was pretty bad.

Are you Canadian?

I have a colleague who is Canadian and says "fuck all" all the time. I'm not sure if it's a Canadian thing or if it comes from somewhere else. Whatever the case may be, he has me saying it now.

jadedm17

The problem is it's not always without fail unless you actually wait in the area for half an hour after each event.
As mentioned the idea wasn't to wait around for them.
That said doing the common ones using destinypublicevents I can knock three out in 40 minutes on Earth.

I'm wondering if those complaining are level 27 or so yet and have farmed upgrade materials.

Where do I have to sign my soul away for Xur to have The Last Word tomorrow?
The contract is slightly different. As a servant to our glorious demonic leader Elvis Presley(power struggles like you wouldn't believe down there), the consequences are dire. You will never be able to cheese Atheon again, but all other raid groups will.

Namikaze1

The Last Word can wait bud, we need the Gjallarhorn before Bungie nerfs it in six months after they figure out how to buff Thorn.
You all had your chance! You all should had bought it when he sold it! It's time for The Last Word to show up! Gjallahorn can wait! It had its chance!

The contract is slightly different. As a servant to our glorious demonic leader Elvis Presley(power struggles like you wouldn't believe down there), the consequences are dire. You will never be able to cheese Atheon again, but all other raid groups will.
Thank God I don't like to cheese Athean!

general question for you guys:

is 2500-5000 xp worth stressing over? if there's a bounty that's taking too long, worth little points or going to drastically alter my playing style, i just don't pick it up. next day will either have something better or more of the same and i'll apply the same thinking.

if i need to hit the next tier of a weapon or level up an alt right then and there, i can see why i might want to do everything. but after spending a couple hours chasing events for the last gold star, i realized i could have ranked up anywhere else in that amount of time.

after i decided to give up on it, i spawned in a public event on my way to a strike.

1. See group of enemies
2. Summon sparrows in front of enemies
3. Keep shooting sparrow and watch as sparrow speeds off towards the enemies and explodes ^_^

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah I just read all his posts on the topic. They don't make any sense at all.

Exactly. There are so many things to do and explore in this game. Public events are supposed to be exciting and fun to randomly do. The game isnt' designed around them, Bungie doesn't want us sitting around doing them all day. That's why the bounty is only to do three, which is totally doable simultaneously with 4 other bounties to work on. If it's your last one, then use an app and go to another planet with one on the way. It is insanely easy. Besides, you will always need to farm mats so you can do that as well.

It's not broken, it's working exactly as intended. It's how Bungie designed them to be and it makes sense. It fosters more exploration, changing planets, etc. This is actually very CLEVER design as it keeps the player moving around from place to place. The app is nice, but it's 3rd party so any complaints about it being off are totally unwarranted.

There are not "so many things to explore" in this game. Once youv'e explored every patrol eare once you've seen it all, and once you've amassed the materials you need you don't need chest runs.

The other bounties you have that can be completed in patrol areas take less than half an hour to complete (100 kills, 10 fallen leaders, etc...), so that's one PE done. After that, if you don't need materials you're literally jsut standing around in an area you /only/ need the PE for.

And when the events themselves sometimes don't spawn correctly it can become frustrating.

It's not fun waiting in low level areas with nothing to do but hope your PE spawns correctly (or that your kill target doesn't just teleport to the final checkpoint before you get a chance to down it). That's not exactly fun design. Not sure why you're defending it so adamantly.

realcZk

10/17/2014 -- "Next week's Hotfix is going to contain some fixes to the Atheon encounter."

nOo9LHC.jpg

What if the wait is because Bungie decides not to change the player teleports to random?

Ataxia

I hope Xur has that exotic Warlock helmet again. Didn't have enough coins last time. Have done a bit of grinding and have 40 strange coins and 30 motes this week saved up

Another Suros would be good too. Though the upcoming nerf might ruin it completely :3

todd360

Where do I have to sign my soul away for Xur to have The Last Word tomorrow?

Here and here anddddd here.

Oh yeah tell everyone that I might not be able to get on until 6:30. I have to stop and get gas on my way home from work and take a shower and eat dinner before I get on to fight the lag err the raid.

Namikaze1

if Xur sells gjallarhorn, the weapon is doomed when people start beating atheon in 60 seconds.
The way I see it, Bungie is gonna troll everyone who didn't get Gjallahorn the week t was being sold by launching a patch mere minutes before Xur shows up with it again.

realcZk

general question for you guys:

is 2500-5000 xp worth stressing over? if there's a bounty that's taking too long, worth little points or going to drastically alter my playing style, i just don't pick it up. next day will either have something better or more of the same and i'll apply the same thinking.

if i need to hit the next tier of a weapon or level up an alt right then and there, i can see why i might want to do everything. but after spending a couple hours chasing events for the last gold star, i realized i could have ranked up anywhere else in that amount of time.

after i decided to give up on it, i spawned in a public event on my way to a strike.

I don't even bother with bounties that are 2.5k XP unless they are extremely fast/easy to complete or they are part of another area I'm going to anyhow. 5k xp ones are usually worth it if you have the mission checkpoints. If I need fast XP to finish out an upgrade slot I just do the "We've woken the hive!" mission a few times, by far the fastest XP farming method in the game.

Apparently RNGesus loves me. Between last week and this week's raid, I got all 3 pieces of raid armor for my titan. I'd even rolled another Titan on the weekend and was almost 20 just with the thought of being able to run the raid twice to get 2 chances for the armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom