• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yes, you only need one exotic or raid piece to get to 29 if you have a full legendary set.

Gjallar is light years better than Hezen's if you ask me, and not just because of wolf pack rockets. It tracks pretty darn well, so you'll nearly always hit your target unless you haphazardly fire it off without at least pointing at your target.

My gjallarhorn does ~12,500dmg to Aetheon give or take on the initial blast, then all the wolf pack rounds do around 1000 to 1500. I can't figure out how many of those small rockets come out, but judging on damage spam popping up I'm guessing around 8 to 10. That means one rocket from my gjallar does around 20,000 to 25,000dmg to Aetheon, or the equivalent of two crits from Icebreaker, except that I don't have to line up and get a crit. I can just turn, look, and shoot off two rounds, then reload while jumping/dodging fire.

I seriously cannot overstate how powerful the Gjallar is in PvE. Hezen's veneance cluster bombs just drop straight down, meaning they sometimes don't even damage the enemy you initially shot at if it moves (think minotaur teleports), and it doesn't track meaning you may miss sometimes (or often depending on skill).

If Xur sells gjallar again, everyone, EVERYONE better buy at least one. Maybe two just to be safe.

I had the coins... I had the coins...

Well what do you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKEaGBHVW4

They dropped Aetheon in 17 seconds on Hard Mode.

You'll note all the Gjallarhorn rockets and wolf pack cluster rockets flying toward him and exploding all over him in the vid. Fairly certain they had 4, if not 5 people using Gjallarhorn.

Edit: Just read the comments on that YT vid. I was correct, four people using Gjallarhorns.

You won't see him dropped in 17 seconds with Icebreakers on hard, I'll bet.

Proof positive Gjallar is the best exotic weapon in the game for raid purposes. :)

Ok i need a Gjaller and a raid team to try this >.<

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
asking again: I'm leveling a Titan alt and have a Helm of Inmost Light in storage, but I wonder if Armamentarium isn't better (mostly PvE considerations). Extra ammo and grenades sounds pretty great tbh, and it also isn't specific to the Striker spec. Worth getting if it means I won't be able to get the Truth?

Rubenov

How'd you mean? I need to have the helmet equipped to hit lvl27 atm but Praxic Fire does seem cool.
You need all raid gear, or 3 raid pieces + 1 exotic to reach 30. Raid helmet only drops on hard mode, so getting/upgrading an exotic helmet means you don't have to go through hard mode if you don't want to.

It gives a bunch of Ass shards anyway, like the normal mode.

hydruxo

Truth isn't as good as Gjallarhorn but it's not "garbage" by any means. Tell me it's garbage after you try and run away in PVP and you get blasted by a homing rocket.

X-Frame

I grabbed the Exotic Chest Engram first and it turned into The Armamentarium, haha. It has more Discipline than the one Xur is selling too, so that is awesome. Saved me coins there.

Now I just want to determine if I need Truth. I already have a void Unfriendly Giant so I don't *need* it, plus I also have 2 tracking rocket launchers already. I'm thinking no, but my collector side wants to grab it anyway.

Ambitious

Thanks!

Yeah I am def with you, I really want the Mask of the Third Man because it looks awesome. But I bought Achylophage Symbiote since it will let me reach lvl29 plus its better for PvE so I can attempt to do the raid on hard. Hopefully I will be able to join you guys on the hard raid next week..being lvl29 and full maxed out VoC I should be able to hold my own right?

My build really sucks right now: My gear is focused on the wrong skills (discipline is just +36%), and I've got a bunch of redundant weapons in terms of damage type. (I try to have one exotic of type A and one legendary of type B for each weapon type)

But know you what, it doesn't really matter. I'm going to stick with it. I'll be playing this game for many months, and over this course of time, I will gather plenty of weapons, gear, XP and ascendants. At some point, getting new gear and fully upgrading it will be a breeze.

asking again: I'm leveling a Titan alt and have a Helm of Inmost Light in storage, but I wonder if Armamentarium isn't better (mostly PvE considerations). Extra ammo and grenades sounds pretty great tbh, and it also isn't specific to the Striker spec. Worth getting if it means I won't be able to get the Truth?

2x Magnetic Grenades for a Titan Defender will wreck Praetorians, 2x Flashbangs or Lightning Grenades may be useful for PVP. I would replace Inmost Light for Armamentarium.

buy exotic chest engram, get titan chest piece currently on sale. This is the second week this kind of thing has happened to me. Anyways since I now own all of the items Xur is selling how effective are the telemetry packages?

not really as psyched about truth as i thought i would be. it doesn't seem to offer much that a legendary with tracking cannot. just seems like a really accurate rocket launcher and that's about it.

anddo0

Finally an exotic Hunter helm. I still need the raid gear arm piece for 30 though :(

I'll get the rocket launcher for the hell of it; 70 coins to blow.

TTG

I'd like to come up with ersatz legendary replacements for exotic weapons. It would be a useful list, certainly easier than running between 5 tower vendors trying to compare the stats. I'll start:

Suros Regime: http://www.destinydb.com/items/119482465-suros-regime#1.MzfEsWd8
Grim Citizen III: http://www.destinydb.com/items/1146059647-grim-citizen-iii#1.MpuAMK8

The Suros has unique upgrades that Crucible Vendor's auto rifle can't match, but it's fairly close otherwise. Rate of Fire and Impact are identical stock for instance. My version(which may still be what's available for sale, I don't know if they rotate often) has these upgrades: Sureshot IS(snapshot sight, excellent handling, superb target acquisition), Persistence(this weapon grows more accurate the longer it is fired), Single Point Sling(switch weapons faster, move quicker while aiming) and finally Spray and Play(increase reload speed when empty). I'd still use the Suros if I had one, but Grim Citizen is great and fantastic to handle.

I think there's a fine enough replacement for my Invective I'll look for later and Bad Juju SHOULD be replaced by just about anything else. I don't have candidates good enough for Ice Breaker and Ghallarhorn, although the Steel Oracle may be worth a look(it's missing a hell of a lot of velocity and no tracking, but is otherwise superb. Blast radius maxed and cluster bombs available).

buy exotic chest engram, get titan chest piece currently on sale. This is the second week this kind of thing has happened to me. Anyways since I now own all of the items Xur is selling how effective are the telemetry packages?

Use telemetry before turning in bounties for a huge boost. I always buy a pack of whatever Xur sells for 1 coin each.

Nodnol

I want a Gjallarhorn now. :-(

Truth will have do for the time being.

All of a sudden I have so much to level up. IB is nearly fully leveled, then I need to level two Legendary RLs, two Legendary Sniper Rifles and a Legendary Scout Rifle.

Add Truth to that and I'll be busy for a while!

QP3

I'll will be among your tanks by tonight, as I plan to pick up the PS4 bundle this evening.

My question is, what should (can) I do first? The story? Or skip it and do online? Will me choices beer limited until I get to a certain point in the story? Thanks!

Marvel

could never
I'll will be among your tanks by tonight, as I plan to pick up the PS4 bundle this evening.

My question is, what should (can) I do first? The story? Or skip it and do online? Will me choices beer limited until I get to a certain point in the story? Thanks!

Story first, you'll need it to level up. Don't go straight into PvP, you'll get trashed and it's no fun playing without all your abilities. Also xp gains are slow in it too.

Stick to missions for a little bit.

Use telemetry before turning in bounties for a huge boost. I always buy a pack of whatever Xur sells for 1 coin each.

Damn that's a great idea, I should do this for my Thorn...

I don't even have any of the upgrades on Truth yet and I'm really liking it. It seems monstrously better than any other rocket launcher I've ever used. Still want Gjallarhorn though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Heart of the Praxic Fire from Xur´s engram. Last week I got Skull of Dire Ahamkara. Thanks based Rahool

excowboy

You need all raid gear, or 3 raid pieces + 1 exotic to reach 30. Raid helmet only drops on hard mode, so getting/upgrading an exotic helmet means you don't have to go through hard mode if you don't want to.

It gives a bunch of Ass shards anyway, like the normal mode.

Ah, cool, cheers for the tip. Yet to raid but think I'm nearly ready :)

pz1zvCk.png

Grimoire Card Bonuses - How much do they really affect loot drops?

I found this on Bungie.net

Apparently getting to Rank 3 in Crucible activities will allow for better more frequent drops? Could this explain why that useless guy got an Exotic and me and 1st place didn't get squat? Maybe?

QP3

Story first, you'll need it to level up. Don't go straight into PvP, you'll get trashed and it's no fun playing without all your abilities. Also xp gains are slow in it too.

Stick to missions for a little bit.
Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Ikkarus

All the luck in this thread and none of it is rubbing off for us who want The Last Word. -__-

To this day, I still haven't seen an exotic drop for a strike that wasn't a Nightfall.
Believe me I really wanted it, I've always leaned towards hand cannons over all the other weapons.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
What a shitty week from Xur for me. I already have the titan chest and truth. :(

Now the question is, red or green sparrow upgrade?

Ikkarus

Is the Warlock helm (Light Beyond Nemesis) worth it from Xur?

I'm currently levelling up my Warlock but not sure if there is a better exotic armour for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom