• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Wow Telemetry consumables tick down even in Orbit. This game is real dumb in some ways.

According to the internets, I need 109 light to be level 29.

Swapping my queen's helmet for The Xur Warlock exotic one, and then maxing it out, should give me 109 light on the nose.

Which means I won't have to spend ass shards on my Queen's Guard chestpiece.

The level system is so stupid. There's lots of pieces of legendary armor to buy or get through drops, but they become useless too quickly, since they can't take you to 30.

Unless you have raid gear I believe you will have to spend ass shards on the chest piece. Without raid gear I have one exotic maxed with two legendaries. My boots have one upgrade slot remaining I believe. I have 109 light

Edit** 30 (exotic) + 27 + 27 + 25 = 109 so yes you would have to spend shards on the chest piece

I must not have upgraded it quite as far as I thought since I haven't opted for the larger capacity yet. But 24 shots sounds awesome, and as Warlock as well I agree that the stealth does have advantages.

Overall, despite my bitching, I love that gun. It's just not exactly what I expected.

I understand cause I was underwhelmed as well. The cloaking isn't instant and last onyl a few seconds. Plus once you take your shot you are exposed.

The 24 round capacity + low recoil + 6 round mag is the best thing about it though. And it sounds so awesome when you shoot it. It has a muffled tone to it

mcfrank

According to the internets, I need 109 light to be level 29.

Swapping my queen's helmet for The Xur Warlock exotic one, and then maxing it out, should give me 109 light on the nose.

Which means I won't have to spend ass shards on my Queen's Guard chestpiece.

The level system is so stupid. There's lots of pieces of legendary armor to buy or get through drops, but they become useless too quickly, since they can't take you to 30.

My problem with the leveling system is more that it punishes you for getting new gear. I am barely 28, but if I get a raid drop next time I do VOG, when I equip it I will drop down to level 27 for a few hours of game time while I upgrade that piece. Getting an upgrade and losing a level is really poor game design.

Grimsen

Unless you have raid gear I believe you will have to spend ass shards on the chest piece. Without raid gear I have one exotic maxed with two legendaries. My boots have one upgrade slot remaining I believe. I have 109 light

I (stupidly) maxed out my legendary boots when I got them as a drop early on (27 light)
I have raid gloves (30 light)
My chest is leveled up to the point where I need ass shards (22 light)
Once I max out the exotic helm, I should be at 109.

Wow Telemetry consumables tick down even in Orbit. This game is real dumb in some ways.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use a telemetry pack. Would it be to pop it right before the end of a daily story, go back to the tower and turn in five bounties, then farm for the last 10-15 min? Maybe get in a Public Event.

Also, can you use more than one at a time (special and heavy for example), or is there a cool down?

I (stupidly) maxed out my legendary boots when I got them as a drop early on (27 light)
I have raid gloves (30 light)
My chest is leveled up to the point where I need ass shards (22 light)
Once I max out the exotic helm, I should be at 109.

Yeah the raid gloves. That's the difference.

My problem with the leveling system is more that it punishes you for getting new gear. I am barely 28, but if I get a raid drop next time I do VOG, when I equip it I will drop down to level 27 for a few hours of game time while I upgrade that piece. Getting an upgrade and losing a level is really poor game design.

I kind of get your gripe here but I'm fine with it because I just pick up some bounties and knock them out in my old gear and then put on the new gear for turn ins to level it without losing combat effectiveness.

It just results in a bit of delay in power boost rather than an instant one.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use a telemetry pack. Would it be to pop it right before the end of a daily story, go back to the tower and turn in five bounties, then farm for the last 10-15 min? Maybe get in a Public Event.

I thought telemetry just worked for more rapid XP as the weapon is used. Am I wrong and it works with bounties?

That would be new information for me if so. It would be COOL new info for sure!

nowai

...you've woken the hive.

Sullichin

I have Timur's Lash maxed out. How much better would Hawkmoon/Last Word be?

I got a pretty decent roll with the upgrades - increased stability, better hip fire, radar active while aiming. Only downsides are the 8 magazine (I've gotten another Timur's drop that had a bigger magazine upgrade but no stability mod) and slow reload speed. It would be nice to have an armor piece that increased handcannon reload. Anyone know of any for a Warlock? Preferably not gloves.

Timur's is a beast though. I was doing more damage with it than Lord High Fixer at the same upgrade level in PVE, I suppose because it has better impact?

mcfrank

I kind of get your gripe here but I'm fine with it because I just pick up some bounties and knock them out in my old gear and then put on the new gear for turn ins to level it without losing combat effectiveness.

It just results in a bit of delay in power boost rather than an instant one.

Right, it just skews the carrot on the stick and it make side grades much harder. Last night I got a chest which has slightly better perks than the one I was using (same level though) and I just dismantled it because it wasnt worth the time upgrading it and refarming relic iron. Getting new gear is the driving force in the game according to Bungie, so that should always be fun.

Really an auction house would solve a lot of the problems too. In WoW you had a similar thing where if you got a helm drop you couldn't equip it right away with enchanting it, but you could always go to the AH and just buy the enchant.

I thought telemetry just worked for more rapid XP as the weapon is used. Am I wrong and it works with bounties?

That would be new information for me if so. It would be COOL new info for sure!

I've never used one, but I've seen it suggested to use before handing in a bounty - Anyone want to test this with a stock green weapon?

...you've woken the hive.

If it's only during use, then this would make a lot of sense.

Right, it just skews the carrot on the stick and it make side grades much harder. Last night I got a chest which has slightly better perks than the one I was using (same level though) and I just dismantled it because it wasnt worth the time upgrading it and refarming relic iron. Getting new gear is the driving force in the game according to Bungie, so that should always be fun.

Really an auction house would solve a lot of the problems too. In WoW you had a similar thing where if you got a helm drop you couldn't equip it right away with enchanting it, but you could always go to the AH and just buy the enchant.

An AH would definitely be a great and welcomed addition. Even if it was only used for buying materials. Farming is a classic additional activity in these types of games but everyone shouldn't be forced to farm. The big problem with that though is that Glimmer is largely useless since it comes easily and nothing of real value requires it.

nowai

So doing this on the hardest difficulty is the best way to earn exp besides bounties? Well, I guess I'll try it.

I have honestly found the XP gain from 20 to 28 minimal. Plus I can kill the lvl 20 faster, resulting in more kills.

Also, Mr. Durden is correct. Telemetry only applies to kills while using the weapon.

Don't waste time in the loading screens. Go wake the hive, kill everything but the knight. Kill yourself and repeat. Roll in the XP.

mstevens

I don't have an exotic yet.. Is this weeks good for defender Titan pve? I have icebreaker so the extra special ammo won't help, but extra heavy reserve (rockets) and extra grenade sound cool!

mcfrank

An AH would definitely be a great and welcomed addition. Even if it was only used for buying materials. Farming is a classic additional activity in these types of games but everyone shouldn't be forced to farm. The big problem with that though is that Glimmer is largely useless since it comes easily and nothing of real value requires it.

Yeah, if they add an AH, they need to also add some better glimmer sinks. Sparrows for 50k glimmer, shaders for 200k glimmer, glowing helmet effect for 500k glimmer etc. I think Bungie just wasnt confident they could create a non-broken economy so they left out AH and player trading both of which the game desperately needs.

I don't have an exotic yet.. Is this weeks good for defender Titan pve? I have icebreaker so the extra special ammo won't help, but extra heavy reserve (rockets) and extra grenade sound cool!

Yes, it's good.

Really you only have two real choices for an exotic as a Defender Titan and those are Armamentarium and Helm of Saint-14. Both are good in their own ways. I would probably lean toward Armamentarium for most PvE content though.

Yeah, if they add an AH, they need to also add some better glimmer sinks. Sparrows for 50k glimmer, shaders for 200k glimmer, glowing helmet effect for 500k glimmer etc. I think Bungie just wasnt confident they could create a non-broken economy so they left out AH and player trading both of which the game desperately needs.

They'd need new and unique designs as well as colorways for Sparrows and Ships for sure. Shaders would be a no brainer. I feel like people avoid the Shader vendor because it's the same four awful schemes. Throw some decent patterns and unique colorways on that vendor and charge a lot more I say. I wouldn't raise the cap up to the levels you suggest though. Cap it at maybe 50k and lower the glimmer acquisition rate.

I think it's more to do with controlling duping which WILL happen when trading begins.

Juraash

I understand cause I was underwhelmed as well. The cloaking isn't instant and last onyl a few seconds. Plus once you take your shot you are exposed.

The 24 round capacity + low recoil + 6 round mag is the best thing about it though. And it sounds so awesome when you shoot it. It has a muffled tone to it

Oh man, even if it had no other redeeming qualities, I would still use it just for the way it sounds.

cjp

Best subclass for Warlocks in the raid?

Obviously the self resurrect is useful but what about the void super and grenades with the added damage?

I think it's more to do with controlling duping which WILL happen when trading begins.

Trade only materials rather than gear and remove Glimmer from destroying gear. Duping is removed, people who hate farming mats don't have to farm and they can still use Glimmer for Ammo packs as well as cosmetics.

Deku Tree

Obviously the self resurrect is useful but what about the void super and grenades with the added damage?

If you don't die then void damage is bonus damage onto the Vex. But if you sometimes die then the self resurrect is the best super in the game IMO. To cheese Atheon you should be a sunsinger.

They need to make people farm so that you see people in the public spaces...they would be empty otherwise...

People would still be running in public spaces for missions, public events, and patrol missions. There are also still a good amount of players who'd farm simply to save glimmer and because they enjoy farming while multi-tasking with music/podcasts/tv, etc...

Trade only materials rather than gear and remove Glimmer from destroying gear. Duping is removed, people who hate farming mats don't have to farm and they can still use Glimmer for Ammo packs as well as cosmetics.
I can imagine the backlash now if they put in trade for materials but now gear.. fuck me it would be chaos.

I agree that P&T isn't as good as people expected but as a warlock that cloaking does come in handy at times. It's enought to get you in an exposed position to get one good shot and run back. I also love how it handles and how I have 24 rounds to work with with 6 in the magazine. The low recoil means I can get 6 quick headshots on a boss and get back to safety. I think overall it's a very elegent weapon.

Edit** of course I'm talking about PVE since that's where I spend most of my time

I agree with you. I want to experiment with Hunter's cloaking combined with P&T's cloak and see how it might work in a boss battle or something, but for me it was love at first shot. That stability and that sound..On the other hand I think Icebreaker is a pretty mediocre sniper rifle except for the ammo regen(which is game changing).

Juraash

I ran Voidwalker this week in the raid and it was my first time. The extra damage from void (and probably from the super) really helped in certain areas. You just have to be a bit more careful when learning the encounters. I certainly did not die an obscene amount or feel like I was a huge liability for not rolling Sunsinger.

I can imagine the backlash now if they put in trade for materials but now gear.. fuck me it would be chaos.

You're probably right but there really shouldn't be. There's not a ton of gear in the game and you can buy most of it without much effort. Even a ton of the exotics are available through Xur.

You're probably right but there really shouldn't be. There's not a ton of gear in the game and you can buy most of it without much effort. Even a ton of the exotics are available through Xur.
On about gear I mentioned this in the last thread but..

Has anyone actually seen gear drop (legendary wise) that is NOT sold by vendors? Everything I have seen people get is just stuff I can buy..

Leaves the mystery kinda meh, theres never a WTF is that moment like in diablo or wow or borderlands..

I think I'm alone on this one lol

Juraash

On about gear I mentioned this in the last thread but..

Has anyone actually seen gear drop (legendary wise) that is NOT sold by vendors? Everything I have seen people get is just stuff I can buy..

Leaves the mystery kinda meh, theres never a WTF is that moment like in diablo or wow or borderlands..

I think I'm alone on this one lol

I think the mystery is what bonuses the stuff gets. You can roll variants not normally sold by the vendor. Perhaps not as exciting as something totally unique, but they aren't 100% identical.

Angry Guy

why am i even bothering right now to get and max out raid gear if they're just going to raise the cap in two months

30 isn't necessary but 28 will be for future Raid content. Being 29 or 30 simply allows you to have an easier time in the new Raids. This is exactly how gear progression works in MMOs currently.

Yeah, I know it is, you're right, but I think I'm just salty about it because it's so close to release.

Because you have an addiction and the addiction is winning.

You're totally right and that is super worrying to me. I swore to myself to never, ever get into any MMOs because I knew they would snag me but BUNGIE STEALTH GOT ME WITH THIS GAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom