• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #180: The PS5 Pro Breakdown: GT7, TLOUp2, Ratchet, Horizon, Alan Wake 2 + More!

Mr.Phoenix

lol. Starting that this is the first console to ever be a worse value than a PC has nothing to do with being insecure.
This is a flat out lie.... and any opinion you form based on this lie, is a fruit of the poisoned tree.
Additionally, now that we know that DLSS offers superior image quality you don't even need to match the exact GPU specs to get the same image quality.
and this is a blatant ignorant thing to say. Especially being that DF just discussed this very thing. Like DLSS, PSSR will get better over time. You should know this. And this approximation you are thus choosing to make is disingenuous.

What is important, is that the PS5pro, offers the best console gaming experience anyone can get period. And has brought the next best reconstruction method after DLSS not just to the market, but to consoles.
proof that... this console is overpriced yeah
By what metric? Your feelings?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting this from you.
images

Vick

Gold Member
If PSSR does for PS what DLSS did for PC gaming then it is far from a rip off.
Based on this footage, especially those comparisons with DLSS, PSSR even in this iteration represents the purest definition of game changer for the console gaming landscape.
Just as DLSS has become on PC.

That Ratchet new footage looked legit insane on my panel, and to think it comes from an hour-long super compressed YT video.. I can't lie I'm beyond excited to see this stuff running real-time in front of me Nov 7th.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Based on this footage, especially those comparisons with DLSS, PSSR even in this iteration represents the purest definition of game changer for the console gaming landscape.

The Ratchet new footage looked legit insane on my panel, and to think it comes from an hour-long super compressed YT video.. I can't lie I'm beyond excited to see this stuff running real-time in front of me Nov 7th.

And as DF said in the article, this is with games that have been retrofitted for this tech after the fact. It really is impressive stuff.

I mean honestly I can't wait for an actual PS5 pro thread with no toxic PC conversion meta commentary I love having the DLSS conversations but telling people to just get a PC ad nauseum in every thread is a complete waste of time how about making a thread titled "Guide to building a PC so people can leave console" if you're that passionate about it maybe you can find some converts in there.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

That Ratchet new footage looked legit insane on my panel, and to think it comes from an hour-long super compressed YT video.. I can't lie I'm beyond excited to see this stuff running real-time in front of me Nov 7th.
and with more optimization an advancement sony can improve PSSR just like DLSS went from 1 to 2 and 3

akira__

Banned
I mean honestly I can't wait for an actual PS5 pro thread with no toxic PC conversion meta commentary I love having the DLSS conversations but telling people to just get a PC ad nauseum in every thread is a complete waste of time how about making a thread titled "Guide to building a PC so people can leave console" if you're that passionate about it maybe you can find some converts in there.
One word
40 90 yyyyyyyyy
r82jbxO.jpeg

Mr.Phoenix

Exactly... but yet our PC friend say this is shit and we are being ripped off.

I am not the one making the console, but what of if this console cost sony $600 to make? Are the ripping us off by pricing it at $700? What of if it cost them $650?

The way I see it, I have been sitting on my 3080 since 2020, which at the time cost me $900 for a $700 GPU thanks to GPU inflation. Because I refused to spend $1200 on the 4080 (just a GPU), released just two years later. $500 more, for what translated to a 50% performance boost. When the entirety of my PC rebuild back in 2020 cost me $1700. Now I am expected to pay $1200 for a GPU alone? How is that ok? But then paying $700 for a whole system, is me being ripped off?

PC logic is strange.

As far as I am concerned, until some other console manufacturer makes a competent console with AI reconstruction for under $399? Or hell $499? then maybe this is simply what a console like this would cost. ANd if people have an issue with that, they can always just stick to the base model which shockingly, is still on sale.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If I make a thread titled "Guide to write with proper use of punctuation marks", would you read it? :lollipop_tongue:

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Fess

I am a huge PC gamer but imo just switch to PC shouldn't be part of this equation
It’s been part of the equation for a decade.

Last generation it was PC+PS fans that kept saying Xbox weren’t needed because Microsoft started porting their games to PC.

This generation it’s PC+Xbox fans that keeps saying Playstation isn’t needed because Sony started porting their games to PC.

Next generation should be interesting! Maybe it’s Nintendo’s turn to go PC.

Kangx

Wait. Question. So they mention there is 2 ms cost to use PSSR. Can this cost go down with improvement or it will be a permanent cost because it is a hardware thing?

Mr.Phoenix

Wait. Question. So they mention there is 2 ms cost to use PSSR. Can this cost go down with improvement or it will be a permanent cost because it is a hardware thing?
They say they can get it down, but I doubt that will be the case. They are likely more focused on improving PSSR while still working within that 2ms window. Then focusing on keeping it as is but getting its cost down.

In the grand scheme of things though, especially how its likely to be used, I don't see it being an issue.

I am mainly PC but yeah I want the best Playstation experience I can get as well for future titles
At this point the best PlayStation experience for future PS5 titles on console (I’m excluding Steam) would be on PS6, the games are taking so long to develop now. It doesn’t help Sony is still laying workers off, that sucks man

LoyDIVu.jpeg

bundylove

PC gamers are insecure about what exactly? This console has 2019 mid range CPU and GPU on a level of 3070ti.

Pssr shows console players what was available on PC for many years now.

What I see is buch of insecure console fanboys that can't believe that they favorite company wants to rip them off with mid update like this.
Why do you care what they think?

To me the ones who fight tooth and nail to convince others how dumb they are are the insecure ones.

Such as you

jm89

At this point the best PlayStation experience for future PS5 titles on console (I’m excluding Steam) would be on PS6, the games are taking so long to develop now. It doesn’t help Sony is still laying workers off, that sucks man

LoyDIVu.jpeg
The absolute state of that article.

akira__

Banned
People figuring out how upscaling works? Native resolution isn’t as important as the final output in this case. Now if the final output is trash like FSR2 applications, then it becomes an issue. However, PSSR is several levels better in quality versus FSR2.
The hilarious part was that in the wukong threads, DF and PCMR crowd all hailed the excellent FSR.
That was last week...

Mr.Phoenix

Why do you care what they think?

To me the ones who fight tooth and nail to convince others how dumb they are are the insecure ones.

Such as you
Exactly... you don't see console gamers invading every PC new GPU/CPU launched thread and saying just buy a console.

But yet, my fellow PC gamers take it upon themselves to derail every single console hardware thread with some of the most obtuse logic I have ever seen.

bundylove

Exactly... you don't see console gamers invading every PC new GPU/CPU launched thread and saying just buy a console.

But yet, my fellow PC gamers take it upon themselves to derail every single console hardware thread with some of the most obtuse logic I have ever seen.
You are so right.

Its nauseating. Most of us just want to play on console and to us this is all we care for.

Why do i need to be lectured by these users here , its not like we cant buy ir afford a high end pc . We just dont care for it .

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

So what if 60fps was in 99% of games on the PS5 Pro? Then what?

My gaming experience with gfn with Alan Wake 2 and every other game will far exceed that on PS5 pro.

Cost of this experience versus PS5 pro.

Shield tv device $200
Monthly subscription $30
Monthly subscription to Gamepass $30.

Total cost $260

PS5 Pro $960

🙃

Where are you getting $960 from? That's a lie.

Mr.Phoenix

I have decided to stop making any commentary on anything Digital Foundry says. I mean, if the dude could arrive at that conclusion, from pixel counting 9 minutes of footage without ever having held the device and two months before the device has been launched... and these are supposed to be the thoughtful, knowledgeable, and professional ones...

Then what's the point?

sachos

Is FSR3.1 much better than FSR2? Because in that Ratchet comparison PSSR is destroying 3.1 so i can imagine the difference when they start comparing to FSR2 titles.
Compared to DLSS 3.7 it is really damn close, much better than i expected it to be. The DLSS Quality does look sharper but am i crazy or does the clapping motion of people in the stands in PSSR exhibit less movement distortion? You can also see it on Ratchet face when compared to DLSS Performance.

proandrad

Is FSR3.1 much better than FSR2? Because in that Ratchet comparison PSSR is destroying 3.1 so i can imagine the difference when they start comparing to FSR2 titles.
FSR 3.1 is massively better than 2. FSR 2 is better than 3.0. XeSS 1.3 is better than all versions of FSR imo.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I have decided to stop making any commentary on anything Digital Foundry says. I mean, if the dude could arrive at that conclusion, from pixel counting 9 minutes of footage without ever having held the device and two months before the device has been launched... and these are supposed to be the thoughtful, knowledgeable, and professional ones...

Then what's the point?
It's his opinion like anyone else. A gaffer could say the same thing and I wouldn't really care. What Alex says isn't objective. You should never listen to the opinions of non-experts on subjective things. Watch the DF analysis and that of other outlets and decide for yourself. They shouldn't be the ones deciding whether or not it's worth it to you to splurge on a $700 purchase.

I was planning on getting a Pro before and the DF analysis hasn't changed it and barring something really unexpected, I doubt anything will.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's his opinion like anyone else. A gaffer could say the same thing and I wouldn't really care. What Alex says isn't objective. You should never listen to the opinions of non-experts on subjective things. Watch the DF analysis and that of other outlets and decide for yourself. They shouldn't be the ones deciding whether or not it's worth it to you to splurge on a $700 purchase.

I was planning on getting a Pro before and the DF analysis hasn't changed it and barring something really unexpected, I doubt anything will.

Absolutely right. The guys who make up DF can have their own opinions and that is fine, but theirs are really no more valid opinions than yours or mine. If we are talking about analyzing tech, yeah, but recommendations are subjective. This was made quite obvious by Oliver who had a completely different take than Alex on whether to buy PS5 Pro or not and talking about what is best for the living room experience. That take is being lost here though as everyone focuses on Alex for some reason.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Agreed. I always watch DF, and i do appreciate the work they do. I watch for the data and research.

It's their commentary and opinions that always leave me scratching my head. I have even come to expect it. But that ok, you are right, its his opinion, and I just feel it's premature.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I cant believe they are using Performance RT settings in ratchet. Cerny said that the whole idea was to get fidelity modes to run at 60 fps. This is simply not true in this case.

HFW is using checkerboard 4k up from checkerboard 1800p. Yay? I knew from the 45% GPU uplift that they simply wouldnt be able to get the native 4k mode running at 60 fps, but a first party studio not even bothering using PSSR is ridiculous.

GT7 running at 1182p internally. Thats lower than 4k DLSS balanced. Makes no sense because RT is supposed to be 2-3x faster, gpu is 45% better, and the resolution is taking that big of a hit? WTF is PD doing? There is no way their game is CPU bound because in the non-RT mode it runs at 100 fps at native 4k.

I thought Alan Wake 2 running at 864p internally was underwhelming but to see Sony studios struggle to get games running at 4k DLSS quality settings is something even I didnt expect and I was as skeptical as they come.

I dont even know if i want to watch the rest of the direct. It's just one bad news after another.

Oh, for fuck's sake. We're once again building a PC better than the Pro?

It really is so silly. PC discussion needs to be banned from this thread. We need to judge the PS5 pro based on its own merits and the only comparisons should be with the PS5, x1x and ps4 pro.

I thought we were mature enough to discuss this by simply comparing it to PC parts but clearly not so lets keep at least one thread without platform warring.

Last edited:

scydrex

Obviously what he is saying is not wrong though, but that come from a hard-core pc player perspective. He mentions path tracing, and 60 fps no matter what which is the Pro can't provide this.

However in order to get these 2 check box, how much more are you willing to spend and how comfortable you are switching from your couch to a desk? He did not consider these thing, but it is a big deal for most people,
Will a PC less than $1000 provide that?

Last edited:

Gaiff

I cant believe they are using Performance RT settings in ratchet. Cerny said that the whole idea was to get fidelity modes to run at 60 fps. This is simply not true in this case.

HFW is using checkerboard 4k up from checkerboard 1800p. Yay? I knew from the 45% GPU uplift that they simply wouldnt be able to get the native 4k mode running at 60 fps, but a first party studio not even bothering using PSSR is ridiculous.

GT7 running at 1182p internally. Thats lower than 4k DLSS balanced. Makes no sense because RT is supposed to be 2-3x faster, gpu is 45% better, and the resolution is taking that big of a hit? WTF is PD doing? There is no way their game is CPU bound because in the non-RT mode it runs at 100 fps at native 4k.

I thought Alan Wake 2 running at 864p internally was underwhelming but to see Sony studios struggle to get games running at 4k DLSS quality settings is something even I didnt expect and I was as skeptical as they come.

I dont even know if i want to watch the rest of the direct. It's just one bad news after another.
A bit under 2 months before it comes out. Let's wait?

Kangx

It really is so silly. PC discussion needs to be banned from this thread. We need to judge the PS5 pro based on its own merits and the only comparisons should be with the PS5, x1x and ps4 pro.

I thought we were mature enough to discuss this by simply comparing it to PC parts but clearly not so lets keep at least one thread without platform warring.
For Rachet. I believe Ray tracing cost more, that is why it using the res from fidelity but setting from performance ray trace.

For Horizon, it clearly that they don't have time to implement PSSR so they send this footage in for the presentation. I can see the shadow clearly better on my giant 77 in TV though. No flickering from the hair. You expect 4k Native 60fps is unreasonable though. Once they implement PSSR here, i expect image quality to come close to 4k.

For GT, I was disappointed with the res too at but after looking at DF footage i can u derstand why.
This is racing game and there are lot of reflecting surfaces so the expected cost more than most normal ray tracing game like ratchet.

I mean. You clearly got higher expectations and I was also, but after seeing DF analysis i even more convince the Pro is worth it. I say wait for another month for hardware review, we will get a better picture because clearly these are coming in hot when you look at Horizon.

Last edited:

omegasc

Finished watching it now, and so far from what has been shown it seems to do what I expected. I hope we soon get more on what the Pro Boost modes can do to PS4 and unpatched PS5 games.
DF's not nearly as negative as their first impressions, for sure. Alex toned down on the "pissr joke", maybe they got feedback, or the results made him take it more seriously.
And who knows, since AMD Frame Generation is quite versatile, it might be possible to have it as an option mixed with PSSR later on. Not sure how PSSR compares against the current FSR implementation in terms of cost.
John said he was going to Japan soon, maybe he's already booked for a trip to PlayStation HQ for a hands on before TGS and we will have more info.

Top Bottom