• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
The thing with crusader is, even if it's the weakest class baseline, it's probably the closest they got to succeeding with endgame legendary and set itemization of all of the classes. The reason I kept playing mine, despite it feeling far less efficient than the others, is that the potential for any one drop to drastically change your playstyle and move you forward just feels way higher on crusader, whether that drop is a BoP, Max, Jekangboard, Fate of the Fell, set piece, Darklight, Gyrfalcon's Foote, Akarat's Awakening, etc. I think this is one of those instances were the correct move is not to nerf the class, but buff others- and, specifically, the sets of other classes. Monk and Wizard sets are pathetic compared to Akkhan's, and, even if they weren't, something like Firebird or the thunder set for monks encourage playstyles fully enabled by other gear, whereas Akkhans both enables an entirely new subset of builds and can even work alongside an elemental side spec from your bracers/ring/ammy/shield/weap. I still think the crusader class itself needs buffs (and, specifically, a look at mobility and heavenly str) but I'm actually pretty happy with where the class' items are, generic issues with legs aside. (I'd love to see more legs for non-fire elements and, to lesser extent, non-light, but that's a class wide issue, not a Crusader one.)

Dahbomb

Actually according to him if you don't get a Legendary chances are high that you got a high level loot table with the rarer Legendaries.

scy

The biggest Crusader issue is our gear dependency. As far as high Torments are concerned, we're probably one of the better off classes due to the things we can do with our items.

Actually according to him if you don't get a Legendary chances are high that you got a high level loot table with the rarer Legendaries.

I'm in the same game basically all day when I'm playing and my drops vary over time. So ... not really sure this makes any sense.

If anything, it feels more per-rift basis than it does per-game. And even that feels like a stretch.

The thing with crusader is, even if it's the weakest class baseline, it's probably the closest they got to succeeding with endgame legendary and set itemization of all of the classes. The reason I kept playing mine, despite it feeling far less efficient than the others, is that the potential for any one drop to drastically change your playstyle and move you forward just feels way higher on crusader, whether that drop is a BoP, Max, Jekangboard, Fate of the Fell, set piece, Darklight, Gyrfalcon's Foote, Akarat's Awakening, etc. I think this is one of those instances were the correct move is not to nerf the class, but buff others- and, specifically, the sets of other classes. Monk and Wizard sets are pathetic compared to Akkhan's, and, even if they weren't, something like Firebird or the thunder set for monks encourage playstyles fully enabled by other gear, whereas Akkhans both enables an entirely new subset of builds and can even work alongside an elemental side spec from your bracers/ring/ammy/shield/weap. I still think the crusader class itself needs buffs (and, specifically, a look at mobility and heavenly str) but I'm actually pretty happy with where the class' items are, generic issues with legs aside. (I'd love to see more legs for non-fire elements and, to lesser extent, non-light, but that's a class wide issue, not a Crusader one.)

Those are great points. I guess I haven't played end game Diablo enough to be familiar with the class "walls" you hit. I have appreciated mixing up all of my skills based on new drops and still moving forward stronger than before. Granted, I just started being able to solo T2 rifts, so I have a lot of upwards mobility left.

cdyhybrid

I think they should just remove the movespeed penalty from Heavenly Strength entirely. You're already sacrificing a passive slot for it, and it's not like 2Hers are significantly better than 1Hers.

If they buffed 2Hers with an extra socket or something I could see them revisiting the movespeed penalty though.

I doubt we will get solid proof one way or the other. There seems to be too much at play.

Like...are loot tables with high end rare items all high end items; hence the lower drop rate?

Or maybe you could have a loot table with all low end items, but something like wand of woh or other exceedingly rare legendary items peppered in. You might be getting a bunch of crap drops and never know the WoW was in there because of the low chance of it dropping. You would just write it off as a low tier loot table in the end.

I have had crap drops and then a few good ones hit. But I have also had strings of crap drops with nothing, and strings of high end drops happening rapidly. I had a TF, Tals source, Firebirds set gloves all drop within minutes of each other.

Too many unknowns to factor in.

I think they should just remove the movespeed penalty from Heavenly Strength entirely. You're already sacrificing a passive slot for it, and it's not like 2Hers are significantly better than 1Hers.

If they buffed 2Hers with an extra socket or something I could see them revisiting the movespeed penalty though.

I think that move speed debuff is a terrible tradeoff, especially since it also costs a passive. I wish they would come up with something better like buffing 2h weapons and then giving crusaders a small damage penalty for welding a 2her with a shield.

Dahbomb

Yeah the loot table theory I don't really buy... I feel like it's just an elaborate way of trying to explain how you can get multiple Legendaries of the same type in the same game.

There is certainly a very streaky nature to the system that is going on under the system. It's just hard to pin point what exactly.

scy

I just hate the penalty because the game is all about mobility and moving through the content. You gear up better to do stuff faster and you move up in difficulty when you can go through it fast enough. A movement penalty is literally the least fun thing they could do here.

It'll be all the worse come Tiered Rifts and the goal is clear speed. I'm glad I have a fairly good Hellskull :(

RDreamer

First leg drop today was a Stone of Jordan. Yay...

except it's:

18% fire damage
441 INT
29% damage against elite
5% lower cool down
+140 mana for Witch Doctor only

I found it on my Crusader. My DH is my only character right now that uses fire, so I could change INT to dex... I do have a witch doctor at 70, so I could just use it on him. I haven't selected an element for him yet really. Is there a fire WD build?

Edit: And another SOJ? o_O ... in the same rift game

This time it's Strength, Vit, Cold, Elites, and some wrath.

Guess I'll change that from cold to holy for my Crusader then.

traveler

Not Wario
I think that move speed debuff is a terrible tradeoff, especially since it also costs a passive. I wish they would come up with something better like buffing 2h weapons and then giving crusaders a small damage penalty for welding a 2her with a shield.

I used to think there needed to be more of a tradeoff, but now that I see what a well-rolled 1 hander can do, both in terms of damage and wrath generation, with holy cause in heavenly strength's place, I'm almost at the point where I think no ms penalty is still fair. 2 hander performance just isn't a big enough leap over 1 handers- especially when you consider that certain 1 handers possess utility high enough to outweight any damage increase. (see: the foote and darklight)

If Blizz buffs 2 handers, however- and they may even need an across the board buff given their dismal performance outside the crusader class- I can see the need for having some sort of tradeoff in place on h. str. As is, it just feels like overkill.

except it's:

18% fire damage
441 INT
29% damage against elite
5% lower cool down

I found it on my Crusader. My DH is my only character right now that uses fire, so I could change INT to dex... I do have a witch doctor at 70, so I could just use it on him. I haven't selected an element for him yet really. Is there a fire WD build?

Drop reduced cooldown for crit damage and tuck it away. I can't comment on WD fire builds, but I wouldn't let a secondary affix worry you. If you do the aforementioned reroll, it'd be a great fire wizard ring.

Edit:

:|

I'm starting to feel like my only roll in this thread is patronizingly frowning at SoJ rerolls. I get that one doesn't get too many shots at element on a ring and maybe your super committed to current class and spec, but passing up the vit to cd reroll kills my soul.

scy

except it's:

18% fire damage
441 INT
29% damage against elite
5% lower cool down

It's like the basic WD build. Vampire Bats, Fire Gargantuan.

If you want to use it on your DH, I'd just roll the INT to CC/CHD instead of to DEX.

%Damage isn't fixed. Before patch 2600 dps. Today?

epNywFZ.jpg

RDreamer

:|

I'm starting to feel like my only roll in this thread is patronizingly frowning at SoJ rerolls. I get that one doesn't get too many shots at element on a ring and maybe your super committed to current class and spec, but passing up the vit to cd reroll kills my soul.

I'm not super committed I guess. I just don't know if cold is a really viable crusader build at all. I'll check into it before rolling.

Because I'm way too fucking poor to re-roll anything. 200k to my name!

traveler

Not Wario
It's like the basic WD build. Vampire Bats, Fire Gargantuan.

If you want to use it on your DH, I'd just roll the INT to CC/CHD instead of to DEX.

Heck, wouldn't 44 res all be more useful for a dh than 5% cd reduction?

<- Knows very little about dhs.

I'm not super committed I guess. I just don't know if cold is a really viable crusader build at all. I'll check into it before rolling.

Nah, cold has no use for crusader in their current state. I think one of the hammer runes uses it and that's pretty much it. (Blizz has made some noise about changing elements on runes around across the classes for more diversity, but we don't have any concrete info on that yet nor know how far off that change is) If you have no desire to go cold barb down the line- and I'm not even sure how that is- there's little reason to keep a STR SoJ on cold, despite my protests earlier.

Fularu

Banned

How? Playing casually last week, I made 35 million just doing bounties and vendoring yellows (roughly 90 minutes a day).

I even salvaged 1000 yellows to stock up on mats (which would have netted an another 5 million)

Dahbomb

except it's:

18% fire damage
441 INT
29% damage against elite
5% lower cool down

OMFG CONSPIRACY THEORY CONFIRMED!!!!

I hope you didn't exit out of the game... I would just keep doing Rifts and started gambling for SoJs.

Also I checked my % damage weapons... they aren't fixed.

except it's:

18% fire damage
441 INT
29% damage against elite
5% lower cool down

Join the rest of the stronk and roll
A WD.

RDreamer

How? Playing casually last week, I made 35 million just doing bounties and vendoring yellows (roughly 90 minutes a day).

I even salvaged 1000 yellows to stock up on mats (which would have netted an another 5 million)

Trying and failing to re-roll rings, as it were.

And my Jekangbord.

I've only had a max of like 5 million to my name.

OMFG CONSPIRACY THEORY CONFIRMED!!!!

I hope you didn't exit out of the game... I would just keep doing Rifts and started gambling for SoJs.

Still in the game.

Join the rest of the stronk and roll
A WD.

I've had a WD for a long while. It was my 2nd character. Haven't played ROS much with him though. Just got him to 70 and that's it. I got a tasked and theo with my DH though that I gave him, too. So I guess I"ll play more now.

I think one of the better ideas I've seen is swapping the Hellfire Ring with the Ring of Royal Grandeur.

This whole section of the game seems wasted. Ubers could be an interesting concept, but nobody wants this piece of crap ring when the Stone of Jordan and Ring of Royal Grandeur exist.

But I'm willing to bet people wouldn't mind farming the keys then doing ubers for their shot at a RoRG. It would be a lot less mind-numbing than act 1 normal bounties....

jblank83

Monk and Wizard sets are pathetic

Mirrorball is the closest thing Wizards have to a mandatory build change. Even then it's nowhere near as high end as Jakenborkbork or whatever the shield is called. It's not that there aren't legendaries that have Wizard specific effects. It's that all of them are inferior to "neutral" legendaries and set items.

An extra hydra? Twister moves in a straight line? Cooldown reset on teleport? None of these are great in the first place, much less worth switching out Thunderfury and Mirrorball. (Note: extra hydra might be good someday if Tasker and Theo is changed to affect Hydra, and twister moving in a line might be good if Blizzard ever makes 2h weapons viable)

And yes, Firebird needs to be redone. First of all, the effect is severely underpowered. 300% weapon damage over five seconds and only after having killed an enemy with fire damage? How many enemies stay up for 5 seconds anyway? If they are strong enough to stay up that long, is 300% weapon damage over 5 seconds going to matter? Pox Faulds is a single item that outshines the entire Firebird 6-set bonus by doing 300% weapon damage EVERY SECOND for 10 seconds, with a small cooldown. Both of them have to occur in settings with multiple npcs, so the differences between their two proc conditions is meaningless. Add in a Thunderfury for approx 300% instant damage to 5 targets with a high chance of proc and Firebird becomes a negligible source of additional dps.

Secondly, that's 5 slots that can go to other items. With 5 slots I can gain +25/-25 elite damage, ranged/melee reduction, and vitality with Aughild's and Blackthorne's, plus another solid item. Vyr is an alternative set, and even a powerful one given enough CDR, but as rare as the drops are, it's not a real option for most players. Myself I've only seen 2 pieces drop in the 100+ hours I've put in since RoS launch, and both of them belts.

Which brings us back to the point: some classes need some tuning to their high end gear.

RS4-

Let's see if that loot table thing is right, because Kadala just gave me mirrorball, triumvirate, and chantodo in 430 shards.

MLW dropped as well.

CRA5H

Let's see if that loot table thing is right, because Kadala just gave me mirrorball, triumvirate, and chantodo in 430 shards.

MLW dropped as well.
They did say Kadala drops would be increased for legs in the next patch. I'll try this tonight with a 1H. I've already wasted 7K of shards on 1H until I came here and was told to not bother with 1H weaps.

Blu(e)

Question for someone who's about to dive into Diablo 3 for the first time, is Reaper of Souls not available for PS3? I'm contemplating picking up a version to play with a local friend but I can't seem to find any information about it. I believe the PS3 version received loot 2.0 but that's all I know.

I need to settle down and focus on one single class. So between dh, monk and crusader which one should I be focusing on from now on?

So I am slowly working my way and putting together a CDR/fire Monk build, of course I still don't have neither a Cindercoat nor a Magefist, heck not even a proper Fire Damage weapon, but that's ok, RNGesus will provide some day.

My question is, which one of these head pieces should be better for my build?

I get more DPS out of Andariel's but not by much and that GNK LTK bonus really wreaks mobs.

My Profile

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/OmegaMan-1511/hero/1642708

Any tips besides getting a Cindercoat and a Magefist about what can I improve would be greatly appreciated.

Also I got a Fulminator yesterday, should I replace any of my weapons for it?

Macmanus

What?

Lets math this one out. Lets take your rough 90 minutes at face value. That's 630 minutes a week. You're claiming that by playing casually you made 55,555.56 gold per minute? Not counting 1000 other items you salvaged?

That's... not even a close proximity to reality.

traveler

Not Wario
What?

Lets math this one out. Lets take your rough 90 minutes at face value. That's 630 minutes a week. You're claiming that by playing casually you made 55,555.56 gold per minute? Not counting 1000 other items you salvaged?

I'm not sure what the actual average on this is or if it's been nerfed, but t6 hell rift runs net 400,000- 500,000 gold per run. If you can clear them fast enough and don't get shafted on the bounty showing up too much, I would think that average is pretty achievable. Guess dedicated gold farming isn't really playing casually though.

Mirrorball is the closest thing Wizards have to a mandatory build change. Even then it's nowhere near as high end as Jakenborkbork or whatever the shield is called. It's not that there aren't legendaries that have Wizard specific effects. It's that all of them are inferior to "neutral" legendaries and set items.

An extra hydra? Twister moves in a straight line? Cooldown reset on teleport? None of these are great in the first place, much less worth switching out Thunderfury and Mirrorball. (Note: extra hydra might be good someday if Tasker and Theo is changed to affect Hydra, and twister moving in a line might be good if Blizzard ever makes 2h weapons viable)

And yes, Firebird needs to be redone. First of all, the effect is severely underpowered. 300% weapon damage over five seconds and only after having killed an enemy with fire damage? How many enemies stay up for 5 seconds anyway? If they are strong enough to stay up that long, is 300% weapon damage over 5 seconds going to matter? Pox Faulds is a single item that outshines the entire Firebird 6-set bonus by doing 300% weapon damage EVERY SECOND for 10 seconds, with a small cooldown. Both of them have to occur in settings with multiple npcs, so the differences between their two proc conditions is meaningless. Add in a Thunderfury for approx 300% instant damage to 5 targets with a high chance of proc and Firebird becomes a negligible source of additional dps.

Secondly, that's 5 slots that can go to other items. With 5 slots I can gain +25/-25 elite damage, ranged/melee reduction, and vitality with Aughild's and Blackthorne's, plus another solid item. Vyr is an alternative set, and even a powerful one given enough CDR, but as rare as the drops are, it's not a real option for most players. Myself I've only seen 2 pieces drop in the 100+ hours I've put in since RoS launch, and both of them belts.

Which brings us back to the point: some classes need some tuning to their high end gear.

You don't even need to go all fancy and replace the Firebird with other generic sets to outclass it- even if you're a fire wiz, Cindercoat, Magefist and Andys are going to outperform that set, hands down, and leave you with three other pieces to get whatever you like. That dot is incredibly pathetic when you consider you could just have a flat 60% fire element damage instead AND the amazing cindercoat effect.

So I had my kukri for awhile and didn't think too highly of it until just now I decided to pair it with this mojo... I'm taking hits in T6 like i was in T1 without the mojo and pets don't die because for some reason they don't take dmg from all sources. This works very well in T6! :0

qqy2WCA.jpg
MhhdfP7.jpg

garath

What?

Maybe if you're doing normal bounty runs. They go REAL quick and you get rares coming out of your ears. Good way to stock up on veiled crystals.

Macmanus

I'm not sure what the actual average on this is or if it's been nerfed, but t6 hell rift runs net 400,000- 500,000 gold per run. If you can clear them fast enough and don't get shafted on the bounty showing up too much, I would think that average is pretty achievable. Guess dedicated gold farming isn't really playing casually though.

Oh, I believe this number is achievable - just not at a casual pace in 90 minute increments.

It's very easy to get unbroke in this game, which was the original point. Those numbers were just crazy high.

So I had my kukri for awhile and didn't think too highly of it until just now I decided to pair it with this mojo... I'm taking hits in T6 like i was in T1 without the mojo and pets don't die because for some reason they don't take dmg from all sources. This works very well in T6! :0

qqy2WCA.jpg
MhhdfP7.jpg

Whoa, nice.

Krassus

You didnt think too highly of the best WD weapon in the game? WD's gonna hunt you down =p

jblank83

That dot is incredibly pathetic when you consider you could just have a flat 60% fire element damage instead AND the amazing cindercoat effect.

It is.

I'm trying to imagine how that design meeting went. "First up we have Dave who has designed the Pox Faulds. This incredible item does 300% weapon damage every second for ten seconds to every enemy in 15 yards. We love it, Dave. Very cool.

Next up is Jake. Jake has created Wizard's endgame level 70 set. Its 6-piece bonus is 60% weapon damage every second for 5 seconds but only after you kill an enemy with fire.

Dave, your Pox Faulds look a little OP compared to the Firebird set. Maybe we should put a little cooldown on it, like, 2 or 3 seconds. Also, make sure the entire party sees that cooldown icon so they know we're serious about Pox Faulds not being OP because it has a cooldown.

Ok, looks good to me. Time for lunch. Who wants In n Out? "

You didnt think too highly of the best WD weapon in the game? WD's gonna hunt you down =p

I wasn't having much fun with it because when I throw in my own dmg, the cooldown on BBV/FA would be far from refreshed. That weapon only works on T5/T6 which I tried and kinda died repeatedly but I was just bored and looking in my inventory now and saw the 30% dmg reduction mojo, now it feels just right.

Mumei

I wasn't having much fun with it because when I throw in my own dmg, the cooldown on BBV/FA would be far from refreshed. That weapon only works on T5/T6 which I tried and kinda died repeatedly but I was just bored and looking in my inventory now and saw the 30% dmg reduction mojo, now it feels just right.

I was using dogs with Uhkapian Serpent recently. They really do provide a huge boost to survivability. I really need a Jeram and Starmetal Kukri, though. Once I have them I think I'll be comfortable at T2.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I've put in some time on Lichdom:Battlemage in the last few days. It just had a big update that added a fair amount of polish and new content. It follows a similar loot grind model for upgrading your spells. I like how they handled the crafting - you take the loot you get and use it as materials for upgrading your spells along the same affix path (on a higher tier) or sidegrade (on the same tier). It was a bit too raw alpha before, but it's reasonably approachable now. There's some meat to the magic mechanics now which are explained in the game journal. It's a bit pricy at $20 for the current progress, but it looks like they're following through on the development toward a full retail production. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790238

joesmokey

When you're hunting for a specific item, this game really sucks. I've spent a week's worth of blood shards trying to get Ice Climbers, which amounts to easily over 2k+ per day.

Definitely losing the drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom