• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesmokey

I'm really hitting a wall, I find myself actively hating the game at some points, which is a new feeling. Almost every leg drop, I don't really even get any hopes up at all, just quick identify, scan and trash. I'll still play some I think, just in the morning before work or other short bursts. I'm definitely done w/ the half day play sessions though, just too much RNG and too hard to get the few things I still actually want.
I think my biggest problem is just a lack of fun items. There isn't really a reason to substitute out an optimal piece of gear of whatever build you're running with.

Sure, you are pretty lucky if you do have those end game pieces, but then what? Grind for paragon points? I don't enjoy rifts enough to keep running rifts for the sake of it. Hopefully with the next patch, things change a little as bounties can be a nice change of pace sometimes.

Can you link me your profile? A friend of mine just switched to a fire wizard. I'd like to show him what to build towards to take on T6.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aeglos7-1318/hero/41640549

This is the one I use for solo play. For group play, I swap out Andariel's for Tal's helm, Cindercoat for Tal's chest, and Unity for RRoG. Leaves me with about 12.3m toughness and allows me to tank virtually anything in T5. I haven't found a T6 group yet.

Lightning procs with TF, Frost procs with Cold Snap, Fire procs with everything, and Arcane procs with Black Hole. Probably the most fun I have with group play.

If something like one forgotten souls per rift isn't even guarnteed at the T6 level, what the is the point? Don't most people at the T6 level have their gold and gem situation sorted? What a huge bottle neck.

RDreamer

I think my biggest problem is just a lack of fun items. There isn't really a reason to substitute out an optimal piece of gear of whatever build you're running with.

That's kind of my problem too. It's not the lack of fun items. It's the lack of actually being able to build yourself. I didn't choose any of my builds, really. The game dropped shit and I would have been dumb as hell to go with a different build. My DH got a fire haunt of vaxo and perfect cluster arrow fire walkers, etc. My monk got thunder god's vigor. My Crusader has had like 3 Jekangbord's drop. I really wanted to stick to shield bash on my crusader for instance, but fucking why?

That's part of why I get confused when people ask for advice. Advice on what? The game gives you what it gives you. The only thing I've purposefully tried to fucking get in the game, that Cindercoat has been nonexistent.

With the AH and trade system I could actually build. If an item not on my build dropped I could basically trade it for the equivalent of my build. That was kind of nice. Not saying I don't like the changes now, but it's frustrating.

Maybe... you guys could all play together more and trade stuff...?
playing together with a fixed group of people is the only way to fight the RNG, at least eventually one of you is going to get the drop the other person can't find

it's best if you all use the same main stat or at least 2+2 of the same stat

the game needs trading but when blizzard shut down the AH they took their ball and went home...

Noticed that crappy amulet finally put me in the top 1000 elemental DPS =)

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/jim2point0-1220/Kazyn/42736492

Would be nice to see what that would be with the %dmg fix. Also, I'd use a lower DPS Calamity over my Spite any day if I actually found one...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aeglos7-1318/hero/41640549

This is the one I use for solo play. For group play, I swap out Andariel's for Tal's helm, Cindercoat for Tal's chest, and Unity for RRoG. Leaves me with about 12.3m toughness and allows me to tank virtually anything in T5. I haven't found a T6 group yet.

Lightning procs with TF, Frost procs with Cold Snap, Fire procs with everything, and Arcane procs with Black Hole. Probably the most fun I have with group play.

That looks like a fun setup. I'm surprised any time I see Ice Climbers. So rare O_O

So your main arcane spender is frost nova? So weird to see a fire build not using wave of force.

That's kind of my problem too. It's not the lack of fun items. It's the lack of actually being able to build yourself. I didn't choose any of my builds, really. The game dropped shit and I would have been dumb as hell to go with a different build. My DH got a fire haunt of vaxo and perfect cluster arrow fire walkers, etc. My monk got thunder god's vigor. My Crusader has had like 3 Jekangbord's drop. I really wanted to stick to shield bash on my crusader for instance, but fucking why?

That's part of why I get confused when people ask for advice. Advice on what? The game gives you what it gives you. The only thing I've purposefully tried to fucking get in the game, that Cindercoat has been nonexistent.

With the AH and trade system I could actually build. If an item not on my build dropped I could basically trade it for the equivalent of my build. That was kind of nice. Not saying I don't like the changes now, but it's frustrating.

Posts like this are frustrating to me. Not to single you out, but this is what people wanted when they screamed for no AH and build defining drops. This is literally what everyone wanted.

Increased ability to trade would help you, but it's still not as effective as the AH in accomplishing what your post desires.

People were frustrated others could pay to win. So we end up with a bunch of bind on account items, a lack of any real means of trade, a system where builds are defined by luck and experimentation is killed.

Sorry , like I said, I don't mean to single you out. I think I'm just one of the few who didn't want to see the AH go and I've read numerous posts along the same vein as yours.

joesmokey

That looks like a fun setup. I'm surprised any time I see Ice Climbers. So rare O_O

So your main arcane spender is frost nova? So weird to see a fire build not using wave of force.
Wave of Force doesn't really add anything to the build as it's actually much worse DPS than the 3x magic missile output. Frost nova allows you to stand there a bit longer without running around as you just chain that with black hole.

I also forgot to add that I replace Audacity in group builds with Evocation as well. Coupled with a diamond gem in the Tal's helm, Frost Nova and Black Hole are almost always alternately available.

Ice Climbers took endless Kadala shards...

Playing with people of the same class is absolutely the way to go. A friend of mine jumped into my game last night on his fresh 70 wiz alt. Few minutes into the game a second SoJ dropped for me that I couldn't use but it was a big upgrade for him. A few minutes after that a Tal Rash chest piece drops for him and he gave it to me, completing my set! I couldn't believe it. The game really knows when and how to reel you back in.

RDreamer

Posts like this are frustrating to me. Not to single you out, but this is what people wanted when they screamed for no AH and build defining drops. This is literally what everyone wanted.

Increased ability to trade would help you, but it's still not as effective as the AH in accomplishing what your post desires.

People were frustrated others could pay to win. So we end up with a bunch of bind on account items, a lack of any real means of trade, a system where builds are defined by luck and experimentation is killed.

Sorry , like I said, I don't mean to single you out. I think I'm just one of the few who didn't want to see the AH go and I've read numerous posts along the same vein as yours.

I also didn't want the AH to go. I was a pretty big defender of it beforehand.

I mean I still like what we got. It think a lot of why I like it is because it plays so very differently now because of all that. I'd prefer an AH system again, but I appreciate that I basically got to play 2 different Diablo 3s in the past years.

I really appreciated the game we got though. I liked seeing people's equipment. There was a good amount of variety in it. And I could look up on the AH and be like "I want this this and this for my build" I could see the really awesome items and aspire to get them. Now I look at top tier people and it's all fucking cindercoats and magefists. Yay variety... And I can't aspire to a fucking random drop. It's random. I can pray to the RNG gods when I throw my shards at that worthless piece of human trash Kadala, but that's about it....

I think my love of rifts and what they did with that whole mode really helps my frustration with some of the changes.

Playing with people of the same class is absolutely the way to go. A friend of mine jumped into my game last night on his fresh 70 wiz alt. Few minutes into the game a second SoJ dropped for me that I couldn't use but it was a big upgrade for him. A few minutes after that a Tal Rash chest piece drops for him and he gave it to me, completing my set! I couldn't believe it. The game really knows when and how to reel you back in.

This is the way to play if trading in a group is the end desire. IMO, it just highlights the flaws of the new system. I should be able to jump into a game with my friends regardless of class and have fun.

I think my love of rifts and what they did with that whole mode really helps my frustration with some of the changes.

Same. I was also a big defender of the AH. I like the new expansion, but it's been a mixed bag for me.

Legendary rings requiring a flawless imp topaz is friggin bullshit. Such expensive rolls.

900,000 per reroll. Flat rate. It's obviously very expensive at first, but nice that it will never go higher than that.

I spent 27 of them just to get 16% fire on an amulet last night. 24.3 million gold.... ugh.

eek5

This is the way to play if trading in a group is the end desire. IMO, it just highlights the flaws of the new system. I should be able to jump into a game with my friends regardless of class and have fun.

Same. I was also a big defender of the AH. I like the new expansion, but it's been a mixed bag for me.

Yeah I agree. I'm still bummed out about a MoJ that dropped for me the game after my friend went to bed. It was a 92% and his is a 77% (about as low as I've ever seen roll on a level 70). I had to salvage it because I couldn't hook him up :/

scy

Huh, which change are you referring to? People certainly did read patch notes (including the datamined ones) and remarked on the large increase of damage in blessed shield.

I'd say things like tooltips being wrong or not clear enough are one of the primary reasons people don't venture into different build or gear setups.

And then we went to try it and killed ourselves with it. And then it got hotfixed and the tooltip remained as the 50% and not the 333% it was changed to.

Leaves me with about 12.3m toughness and allows me to tank virtually anything in T5. I haven't found a T6 group yet.

To be fair, it's also ~550k or so HP so it's inflated toughness.

And T5 still isn't at an appropriate speed. Some people just don't get lucky with drops.

900,000 per reroll. Flat rate. It's obviously very expensive at first, but nice that it will never go higher than that.

I spent 27 of them just to get 16% fire on an amulet last night. 24.3 million gold.... ugh.

So far 5m trying to get crit damage on a RoRG. I have 24m left lol.

joesmokey

And then we went to try it and killed ourselves with it. And then it got hotfixed and the tooltip remained as the 50% and not the 333% it was changed to.

To be fair, it's also ~550k or so HP so it's inflated toughness.

And T5 still isn't at an appropriate speed. Some people just don't get lucky with drops.
It's not really that inflated as Tal's gives me +200 more all resist. That coupled with the newly additional +100 on Ice Climbers has put me in comfortable shape.

I also wasn't talking about T5 speed, just my ability to play without relying on Unity.

On a positive note, my DH is 62 I think now. Hope to get him to 70 tonight and move half of my monks shit over. I might try to finish my crusader to 70 this weeken too. I've already got him a cindercoat and a Maximus.

scy

Wasn't it only bugged with protect the innocent? Who uses that anyways.

Off-hand, it was Area Damage in general. There was a similar bug with Consecration as well (though nobody cared because less people used it).

Edit: Doesn't change why I didn't use Blessed Shield, though: It was changed, was quickly found to be bugged and was killing people, was hotfixed but the tooltip was reverted (/never got changed to begin with) so my assumption was the 50% -> 333% change was pulled until later. It wasn't until I was told otherwise that I went to it. Without the change, it wasn't worth using.

bcl0328

FINALLY. last night, i randomly woke up at 2 am. decided to play some diablo and do a few rift it forward. with only 150 shards, i gambled at kadala.

AND GOT 2 MISSLE MIRRORBALL!

... with crappy rolls =|

don't care though. i can finally go MM/conflag and roll for other fire damage items. i can try for better stats later.

IT'S SO FUN!

Is there a way for me to make a private game, and not have friends or clan members join my game?

make private game. turn off quick join.

bcl0328

It really is. Conflagarate is my favorite wizard spell as I love how it pierces and melts everything. It's the main reason why I don't really enjoy arcane builds.

yea i was arcane and hated it.

what spender do you use? i think i might just use blackhole as 'spender' so i can free up a slot for teleport.

scy

Generally, it's Wave of Force for AoE and the Cooldown Meteor or Meteor Storm for the generic spender. You're better off just using MM for Elites rather than relying on a spender for them.

joesmokey

yea i was arcane and hated it.

what spender do you use? i think i might just use blackhole as 'spender' so i can free up a slot for teleport.
My build is at the top of the page (50ppp). I don't use a spender with MM build, just crowd control skills. I had Teleport in my Familiar spot until I got Ice Climbers.

bcl0328

My build is at the top of the page (50ppp). I don't use a spender with MM build, just crowd control skills. I had Teleport in my Familiar spot until I got Ice Climbers.

are ice climbers that good? i got some last night without vit. i just love fire walkers so much.

joesmokey

are ice climbers that good? i got some last night without vit. i just love fire walkers so much.
Depends on your play style. In rifts, I found that I was really only using Teleport to get out of situations like Jailer, Frozen, etc. While Ice Climbers are not super useful against frozen in high torments thanks to the strong damage it does, it's not an immediate death notice either. It helps in group play as usually there are so many effects going on that you can't see ground effects anyway.

Freeing up Teleport for Familiar is pretty huge for me and makes them worth the loss in set slot.

Tom Penny

I
I really appreciated the game we got though. I liked seeing people's equipment. There was a good amount of variety in it. And I could look up on the AH and be like "I want this this and this for my build" I could see the really awesome items and aspire to get them. Now I look at top tier people and it's all fucking cindercoats and magefists. Yay variety... And I can't aspire to a fucking random drop. It's random. I can pray to the RNG gods when I throw my shards at that worthless piece of human trash Kadala, but that's about it....

How does AH change the fact that all top items and top players run the same spec? People would just be saving up to buy them off AH. Something like AH doesn't change the fact that a class like Monk is pigeon holed into a handful of builds that actually can work etc...The game has item and build diversity issues that have little to do with AH. Legs that are flat out wack and not even decent rares for starters..

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If i want to get an epic bow for my scoundrel follower, am i forced to play with my shitty geared DH alt? :(

If i want to get an epic bow for my scoundrel follower, am i forced to play with my shitty geared DH alt? :(

Get your shitty DH to 70. Save up some shards with your main character. Log onto your DH and dump some shards into bows. Shouldn't take much to satisfy the needs of a follower.

Is there a good "stuff to know post" about Diablo 3, i've tried looking at all the wiki's but they seem out of date. But I keep finding things that I didn't know before like, have your high dps in main hand, healing in offhand. etc

any online resources?

How does AH change the fact that all top items and top players run the same spec? People would just be saving up to buy them off AH. Something like AH doesn't change the fact that a class like Monk is pigeon holed into a handful of builds that actually can work etc...The game has item and build diversity issues that have little to do with AH. Legs that are flat out wack and not even decent rares for starters..

When the AH existed, I could swap to a new build with relative ease. When monks started running nirvana it was easy for me to toss up a couple of my weapons, make a little gold and then go get the specific items I needed.

It made experimentation easier and ease of swapping builds easier. It didn't add to the amount of builds available.

A better trading system seems like a nice middle ground between what we had and what we currently have.

It seems like blizz is really trying to kill any play to win aspects if the game that pissed so many people off.

I don't want the AH back. It created some really bad game design. I would be happy with some sort of limited trading, even if it's among friends that have been on your list for a while (and keep gold BoA). Trading with friends is what made Diablo 2 a lot more fun for me. I loved giving stuff away, and I loved getting stuff to try on a brand new character.

Feeling helpless against RNG can lead to some serious frustration.

Dahbomb

It seems like blizz is really trying to kill any play to win aspects if the game that pissed so many people off.
You mean "pay to win". D3 right now is play to win. Only way to really get gear is to play yourself.

I am fine with a trading middle ground but the AH had to go.

bcl0328

have you looked on diablo progress? i was checking out the top dps players and they all had their own specs and gear. not one of them was a copy and paste of each other.

scy

How many of them were real builds? Most the top sheet DPS stuff is purposefully made to get those as high as possible without actually being reasonably effective.

Boogdud

5 rifts(full clears) and about 400 shards without a leg. Bed time I think.

lol, sounds like just about every other night for me. I'm currently sitting at 9 full clears without a legendary (5 the previous night, and 4 the next), then I dumped about 600 shards for a helm and haven't gotten a single legendary there either. Not even a bad one.

It wears you out for sure. But don't worry, it's just 'rng', doesn't that make you feel better? No? How about this: for as jaded and bitter that we are that we haven't gotten anything, there's someone out there getting 4 legs a rift and getting 10 legs in 500 shards.

But yeah, if you're looking for sympathy, this place is the absolute worst. People wipe their asses with legs here.

Dahbomb

have you looked on diablo progress? i was checking out the top dps players and they all had their own specs and gear. not one of them was a copy and paste of each other.
Are you sure about that?

Top DPS Monks on Diablo Progress (Elemental DPS as that's more relevant than sheet DPS ranking):

1) Fire Monk
2) Lightning Monk
3) Fire Monk
4) Fire Monk (probably the most different out of all them as he doesn't use LTK like everyone else)
5) Lightning Monk
6) Lightning Monk
7) Fire Monk
8) Lightning Monk
9) Lightning Monk
10) Lightning Monk

All using LTK.

Top DPS DHs

1) CA Fire
2) CA Fire
3) CA Fire
4) CA Fire
5) CA Fire
6) CA Fire
7) CA Fire
8) CA Fire
9) CA Fire
10) CA Fire

The DH DPS list is a big ass joke. Everyone has like the same 6 items and it's really only a small variations of the other items. Everyone is using Cluster Arrow Loaded for Bear fire spec with Magefist, Cindercoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom